Start by marking “The Care and Management of Lies” as Want to Read:
The Care and Management of Lies

The Care and Management of Lies

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  5,229 Ratings  ·  1,049 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of the Maisie Dobbs series turns her prodigious talents to this World War I standalone novel, a lyrical drama of love struggling to survive in a damaged, fractured world.

By July 1914, the ties between Kezia Marchant and Thea Brissenden, friends since girlhood, have become strained—by Thea’s passionate embrace of women’s suffrage, and b
Published July 1st 2014 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Care and Management of Lies, please sign up.

Marie The best I can come up with is really a guess that is somewhat like how I feel about regular "American" butter and Irish or European butters that are…moreThe best I can come up with is really a guess that is somewhat like how I feel about regular "American" butter and Irish or European butters that are higher in fat content and have better taste and mouth feel. Check this link: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/387245

I have bought the European Butter for spreading on fresh homemade bread, but wouldn't use it for day to day things due to the expense.(less)

Anne Slater
Jul 04, 2014 Anne Slater rated it it was amazing
I finished this book 7 minutes ago and really want to talk to someone about it. So I choose... YOU!

C&M of L moves quite differently to the Maisie Dobbs books. Winspear really pulled it off-- this is a brilliant book that did not come out of the Maisie Dobbs corner of her mind, even though the settings are the same: rural England, World War I. The particular settings rarely change: the farm, London, the battlefield.

Long ago I came to the conclusion that life and literature are about communica
Carly Thompson
May 11, 2014 Carly Thompson rated it it was ok
Historical Fiction about WWI. The tone of this book was odd and slightly off. The beginning of the novel (before WWI commences) was pastoral and had an old fashioned feel. Kezia is engaged to marry Tom, the brother of her best friend from school, Thea. Tom owns and works a farm in Kent and Kezia is the daughter of a Anglican minister so there will be some adjustment to helping her husband run a farm. Thea is slightly jealous of the distance that has grown between her and Kezia. Kezia is taking a ...more
Pamela
Jul 04, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This was a giveaway book so thanks to Goodreads and Allison and Busby.

A beautifully written but deceptive book. It begins by wrapping you up in warmth like a cosy dressing gown, but gradually the effects of war strip this away. This creates a sense of sadness and loss, the realisation that things will never be the same again. Jacqueline Winspear skilfully shows the changes brought by the Great War, not just to those fighting, but to those left behind as well.

The novel follows the fortunes of K
Connie
The Care and Management of Lies shows the comfort of love and friendship during the dark days of World War I. Best friends Thea Brissendon and Kezia Marchant were scholarship students, and later taught together, at a private school. Kezia, the daughter of a vicar, married Thea's brother Tom to become a farmer's wife. Thea went in a different direction, becoming very passionate about the women's suffrage movement and other causes.

Tom enlisted when World War I started, leaving Kezia to manage the
Lesa
Jun 10, 2014 Lesa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, war
Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs mysteries often deal with the repercussions of the Great War, World War I, on the people of England. But, according to the author's note in The Care and Management of Lies, the seeds for this novel were planted long before she became an author. Here is a powerful story of The Great War, the story of four innocent people from Kent caught up in a nightmare that was unexpected. And, Winspear said this novel began when she found a dogeared copy of The Woman's Book, ...more
May 30, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer - I received this from the First Reads Giveaway. Additionally, I do not summarize the plot - that is at the top of the page.

If there was only one thing I was allowed to rave about _The Care and Management of Lies_ it would be how much I came to care about the characters. At a critical point of the novel, I even broke my readers code - no reading ahead! - but my break was over and I couldn't leave the character hanging!

Please read this novel: the emotions the characters put you through
Shirley Schwartz
Jun 25, 2014 Shirley Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-5-star-reads
This book was totally astonishing. What I found the most remarkable is that Ms. Winspear covers the human side of World War I better than any other fiction book I've read that has been set during the Great War. Ms. Winspear wrote this book to commemorate the 100 anniversary of the beginning of this terrible war. The setting is a farm in Kent and of course in France where the fighting was occurring. The time is 1914 and 1915. The book is all about Kezia Marchant who becomes Kezia Brissendon when ...more
Lori
Jul 16, 2014 Lori rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, just as the 'Maisie Dobbs' series fizzled out at about book # 4, this departure, also centered around WWI, does the same. No doubt Winspear is a talented writer, but it may be time to explore new territory. I am not entirely sure what I'm to get from this other than WWI was horrific and tore people's lives apart. The characters are not really developed: Kezia and Tom marry and create an almost pastoral, bucolic, existence on the family farm while Thea/Dorrit scrambles from one cau ...more
Celeste
Aug 04, 2014 Celeste rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I love Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series, but was disappointed in this effort.

It's well-researched and gives one a clear feeling of what it was really like for the English before and during World War I. It is beautifully written, with some absolutely poignant and profound moments, and insightful nuances. But a compelling story needs to take you somewhere; at the end, one should feel that there was a reason for being on this journey. When I finished this book, I just felt deflated. While
Annette
Jun 25, 2014 Annette rated it really liked it
I'm a huge historical fiction fan, and there seems to be a dearth of books about World War I, so when I saw The Care and Management of Lies, written by a well-known author, I couldn't pass it up. For the most part, I really enjoyed the book

Kezia and Thea are best friends. Well, at least they were all through school. But now Kezia is going to marry Tom, Thea's brother, and move to the family farm to become a farm wife. Thea is enjoying her job as a teacher in London, so the girls have grown apart
Tara Chevrestt
I found this story very, very dull. I could not get into, nor grow to care for the characters. It pontificates, telling us the same thing over and over, in just different words. She loves Tom. She loves Tom. She has never cooked before, never worked a farm. This person's great grandfather had a gambling problem. Thea is growing away from Kezia.

I get it; I do. I got it the first time it was mentioned.

What I don't get is all the cooking and how in the world it ties into the war. I grew terribly bo
Elizabeth
Sep 14, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Sadly disappointing from an author who can do better.
The main problem in this one is the plotting, or lack thereof. I could tell she had a plot point at which she was aiming, but she seemed to struggle with the setup until about halfway through the book. The beginning was deathly boring and not terribly illuminating as to anyone's character. Once things finally got going, it was pleasant to get to know the three main characters, and the little window into farm life circa 1914 rural England was
Cathy Cole
Mar 22, 2014 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it
When I first learned that this was not the latest book in Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series, I did feel a moment of disappointment. I've grown to love Maisie, and I look forward to seeing how her life changes; however, this book-- written to coincide with the centenary of World War I-- is about one of my favorite time periods, and I wasn't about to ignore it. I'm glad I didn't.

This elegiac and slow-moving narrative was inspired by a book Winspear found in a London book stall. The battered book on h
Roselyn
Jul 08, 2014 Roselyn rated it it was ok
I was all set to love this book. I'm a big fan of the Maisie Dobbs series, but this just didn't capture me. I kept waiting for that moment when I really sink into the story...and it never happened. The relationship between Kezia and Thea was never really developed--I thought that was left hanging. So I was disappointed as I finished this book that I have been looking forward to reading, and I hated the ending.
Anne
Jun 30, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacqueline Winspear got the inspiration for this novel when she stumbled across a woman's household management book; The Woman's Book - Contains Everything a Woman Ought to Know which was edited by Florence B Jack and first published in London in 1911. The book not only covered household management, but also had comprehensive sections on cookery, children, home doctor, business, dress, society, careers, and citizenship.

Set just before, and during the First World War; The Care and Management of L
Patty
Jul 20, 2014 Patty rated it it was amazing
The Care And Management Of Lies
By
Jacqueline Winspear

Where it all takes place...

Much of this book takes place in and around London, a family farm outside of London and the battlefields of the First World War...in particular...France.

When much of it happens...

Most of this story takes place just a few months before England enters the war. The intense parts of this book occur on the battlefields and back at the family farm while the war is actually happening.

What it's all about...

Thea is best frien
Florence Millo
Sep 27, 2014 Florence Millo rated it it was amazing
The Care and Management of Lies is a beautiful story of the love and friendship of three people and how those lives were forever altered by World War I.
Kezia and Thea met in school and became best friends. Kezia marries Thea's brother, Tom. Thea becomes active in the suffragette movement and is convinced that Kezia is going to have a difficult time being a farmer's wife.
As the war begins, Tom sees that many of the men who work on his farm are enlisting. Thea volunteers as an ambulance driver to
Sep 21, 2014 Jennifer rated it did not like it
This was quite tedious. Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series are thoroughly entertaining, but this was an overly sentimental and misinformed novel of The Great War. For 2/3 of it, nothing happened as readers followed 3 trite, undeveloped and stereotyped characters. To think that those living through that tragedy would concern themselves with fantasies of cooking is unbelievably naive and...boring. In the final 60 pages, Winspear perhaps realized this, too, and the climaxes of these characters' experie ...more
Jessica Howard
May 17, 2014 Jessica Howard rated it liked it
A quiet, yet unsettling, novel about Kezia, her new husband Tom, and her best friend (Tom's sister) Thea, as WW1 breaks out. Tom enlists, Thea becomes an ambulance driver, and Kezia, who had been a teacher, is left to run the family farm alone.

The book's gentle tone and slow pacing are a bit at odds with the tragic events that inevitably occur as a result of the war. I found myself dreading what was coming as I read.
Rachel
Jan 22, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book is about a woman--a strong, intelligent, caring and confident woman. She knows who she is and she's not afraid to make mistakes and that's what gives her the strength to do what she must. She loves truly. She is a powerful influence for good in the lives of those around her. She's an amazing woman and I want to be just like her.

Colleen
This is a tough one to rate and review. There were parts of this book that I really loved and others (particularly at the beginning) that I felt quite disconnected with. It was a bit baffling to have such a swing in emotion from page to page. But overall, I did find this a well-written, heartfelt book.

The Care and Management of Lies focused of Kezia, her new husband Tom, and her best friend turned sister-in-law Thea. Kezia was an interesting character. Although she was often considered to be an
Shoshanah
Apr 13, 2014 Shoshanah rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book by Jacqueline Winspear, but I've heard great things about her Maisie Dobbs series. I even own the first one, I just haven't found the time to read it yet.

I'd probably say this book is a mix of Betsy's Wedding (of the Betsy-Tacy series) and Somewhere in France (also subtitled A Novel of the Great War) two books I'd list on my all-time favorites list. I wouldn't necessarily say this book would be on that list as well, but I still really enjoyed it.

There's basically three ma
Guanajasharon
Sep 03, 2014 Guanajasharon rated it it was amazing
Jacqueline Winspear just keeps getting better in my opinion. I am hooked on the Maisie Dobbs mysteries and then I happened to check this book out from the library as it sounded interesting.

She never disappoints. The story is about three individuals just before World War I; a woman, her brother and the brother's soon-to-be bride who is a friend of the sister. Each individual's character is well thought out and presented. The story is complex but totally realistic.

We delve into each character an
Cheyanne
Jul 05, 2014 Cheyanne rated it liked it
This is an ambitious novel about the effect of World War One on the British people, both at home and on the battlefield. Tom, a young farmer from Kent, enlists in the army and his new bride, Kezia, a genteel vicar's daughter, must learn to manage the farm on her own. In the trenches in France, Tom finds himself under the command of an aristocratic neighbor, Edmund, who harbors a secret infatuation for Kezia. These three sublimate their passion and frustration (with classic English restraint, no ...more
Dina
May 19, 2014 Dina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans, those interested in WWI, and readers who enjoy character-driven stories
Take four young people in England in their 20's. Add the sufragette movement, a wedding, a chance encounter, and Britain's declaration of war in 1914. Sauce liberally with love and "little" white lies. Enjoy a taste of what life was like during World War I - at home on the farm in Kent, in London as part of the pacifist movement, and in the trenches at the battle front.

Each of these young men and women struggles to figure out who they have become as they try to do what they believe to be right.
Marcy Heller
Jun 17, 2014 Marcy Heller rated it it was amazing
If PBS' "Home Fires" left you wanting more, Winspear's "The Care and Management of Lies" will not disappoint. I enjoy Winspear's Maisie Dobbs mysteries, but she is also a wonderful story teller and student of history who weaves the tale of a farmer-turned soldier, his sister, a suffragette and pacifist turned ambulance driver, and her best friend who becomes her brother's wife, and who is left to manage the farm while her husband Tom and friend/sister-in-law Thea are at the front. Thea aggressiv ...more
Caroline Anna Bock
Feb 10, 2015 Caroline Anna Bock rated it really liked it
The Care and Management of Lies: A Novel of the Great War tells the story of three interconnected lives immediately before and during World War I in England -- Kezia and Thea, school teachers in London, and Thea's brother Tom, a farmer. A bit slow-moving in parts, the way Downton Abbey sometimes lingers on a scene or moment, so does the author Jaqueline Winspear. I'm not sure the title of this novel does it justice. Every warm as we in America have found out this past decade is predicated on lie ...more
Marjorie
Feb 02, 2015 Marjorie rated it really liked it
I've never thought much about how we manage 'social' lies, white lies, or even big lies but this book sure does that. You'll be thinking about that for a while. Maybe even talk about it with your dinner companion who hasn't read the book.

In time of war, upcoming war; government, patriotism goes into hyper gear to sell flesh and blood the conviction to sign up and get killed for a good cause.
The home front sends encouragement and glosses over the worrisome news. The battle front sends I miss you,
Arlene
Aug 22, 2014 Arlene rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
I realize I am in the minority opinion on this novel. My good friend and fellow voracious reader suggested this book to me as she really became engrossed in the story. I enjoy the Maisie Dobbs books and was hoping for another good series book by Ms Winspear but I could not really get into this novel of WW1. I did not care for Kezia or Thea..they seemed like cardboard figures and never fully developed. I think one of the reasons for this is that both characters are introduced at life changing mom ...more
Gerry Welsch
Apr 18, 2015 Gerry Welsch rated it it was amazing
My reading seems to be stuck in the period of World War I. Having enjoyed the Maisie Dobbs series by Winspear, I decided to read this book by her as well. It is one of the most unusual and moving works of fiction I have read about this historic period. Dealing with both the home front in London and on the farms of Kent, and with trench warfare and the madness of war in France, the story is gripping. In a most unusual plot development, much of the story is connected with cooking and recipes. Kezi ...more
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope Mystery, #4)
  • The First of July
  • A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford, #3)
  • The Evening Chorus
  • The Passing Bells (Passing Bells, #1)
  • The Daughters of Mars
  • We Shall Not Sleep (World War I, #5)
  • The Roses of No Man's Land
  • Not So Quiet...
  • Warburg in Rome
  • Wake
  • A Fierce Radiance
Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London’s Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK.

She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a li
More about Jacqueline Winspear...

“when greeted, in case the ghostly specter” 0 likes
“What is certain, is that war will not leave us as it found us. —WOMAN AT HOME, February 1915” 0 likes