Start by marking “The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation, #11)

The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation #11)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  2,482 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
In the latest Pink Carnation novel from national bestselling author Lauren Willig, rumors spreading among the ton turn deadly as a young couple unites to solve a mystery....

In October of 1806, the Little Season is in full swing, and Sally Fitzhugh has had enough of the endless parties and balls. With a rampant vampire craze sparked by the novel The Convent of Orsino, it
Published August 5th 2014 by NAL

Laurel
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A new Pink Carnation novel is always the highlight on my reading season, though the anticipation for The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla was stifling. How could Lauren Willig’s eleventh addition equal or surpass her previous highly-successful novels seeped in Napoleonic spies, romance and burlesque comedy? Yes, comedy. They say "dying is easy; comedy is hard" and it is so true. There are few authors in the genre who will even attempt it. Willig excels.

One of the main reasons I enjoy the Pink ser
Holly
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Wow! I wasn't expecting to love this book as much as I did. I don't know why exactly......I think the vampire angle threw me off. It ended up being different than that--thank goodness! I simply loved Sally and Lucian. They had humor, witty banter, they had chemistry......they were perfect. This one didn't really deal with spies like the others in the series, which worked quite well for this book. I loved the storyline (won't give anything away). Even Eloise and Colin didn't annoy me like they ha ...more
Lover of Romance
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review

I found this through a online digital service "hoopla" that goes through my local library. I was thrilled, because I have been searching for something different in a historical romance, and Lauren Willig is simply wonderful. Although this story was a bit different than any historical I have ever read/listened to. It has two story lines that are involved here. First we have Eloise who is a student in modern times, working on research for Pi
Caz
I've given this an A for both content and narration at AudioGals, because it's just THAT good!

The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla is the penultimate in Lauren Willig’s highly entertaining Pink Carnation series, and, as with the books that precede it, has a dual storyline which switches between the early nineteenth and twenty-first centuries as American grad student Eloise pursues her research into the life and times of the Pink Carnation as well as her relationship with her English boyfriend,
Jaclyn

This latest installment in the Pink Carnation series reminded me of what I love about this series so much. It's intellectual, funny, and just plain entertaining. This one is zany and it tackles the absurd with wit and sly historical references. It may not show the true experience of spies during the Napoleonic Wars, but if it did, I doubt I would be reading it. I like history, but it needs to be captured in an engaging way for me to enjoy it, and that is certainly true of this book.

The Mark of t
TL
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I never get tired of this series :)

Sally is the sister of our beloved "Turnip" Fitzhugh... it was nice seeing Arabella/Turnip/Sally and "Parsnip" (aka Jane)'s family life, their daughter was so adorable! A loving, sometimes chaotic family.

Sally, a strong/sensible/determined/kind-hearted girl, can hold her own.. whether in a ballroom with suitors, her family, or Lucien's LOVELY relations.

Lucien: A good man who's been dealt a bad hand in life...his parents were 'murdered' when he was young, though
The Lit Bitch
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the book I was least excited about reading in the series. It sounded completely out of Willig’s usual formula….like so far removed from her usual style that I just wasn’t thrilled about it.

Vampires? In this series. No, no, and just no.

Plus the heroine, Sally Fitzhugh, is not one that has even been on the fringes of the series up until like the last book and even then it was minimal.

However, as I have said before, I am continually impressed with her ability to hook me into a believable r
Katie
So I ended up really enjoying this! I think it helped that I ended up basically reading it as a historical romance rather than a Pink Carnation book.

(view spoiler)
Jeffrey
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“They say he’s a vampire.” With a bang this opening sentence throws open the doors on what I dub as “Thriller # 11.” Part Sherlock Holmes, part Northanger Abbey and all Pink Carnation, The author subjects the unsuspecting reader to a regency murder mystery/romance that includes all of the classic gothic elements for a tale steeped in superstition.

This is Miss Sally Fitzhugh’s story and her entanglement with the sinister Lucien, Duke of Belliston. Sally’s initial encounter with the menacing duke
Jess
Jenny
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Poor Penelope Deveraux. She has been usurped as my favorite Pink character by none other than Sally Fitzhugh. To be fair, I've loved Sally since her appearances as Turnip's fairly reasonable, levelheaded sister. I really enjoyed her evolution through the book, and now I want a stoat of my own. A stuffed one, of course.
Karen
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I will never be able to say enough about Lauren Willig and her writing. This was mysterious, hilarious, and heartwarming, and it reminds me very much like an Austen, where all things end as they should.
Gawelleb
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Sally Fitzhugh spent all her time at Lady Climpson's Select Seminary dreaming of the day when she would leave Bath and get to go to all the balls she could wish for instead of trying to get out of doing homework. Sally has been out a year and she never thought the time would come when she would be bored with this life she dreamed of. If things couldn't get worse the silly people of the ton are enraptured with Sally's friend Lizzy's step-mother's book, The Convent of Orsino, and a vampire craze h ...more
Julie
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
As the Pink Carnation series is winding down, these books are hit or miss. This one (for me) was a miss. For one thing, the heroine, Sally Fitzhugh was really annoying. It doesn't help that on audio, narrated by Kate Reading, she makes Sally sound like a first class, bratty, little bitch. Of course, after you're half way into the book, you realize she's not really, but still! Lucien isn't that great as a hero and I never detected any chemistry between the two of them (I find it hard to fathom wh ...more
Cathy
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot more than I'd anticipated. Not so much for the actual plotline (I could really have done without the entire ridiculous vampire business, to be quite honest) but I was very much invested in the romance.

That just worked for me.

(view spoiler)

And yay, I finished a book. Now I really need to show some self-restraint and not start anything new until I've finished one of the other ones.
Jen
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
This isn't a critical review, but an observation: Despite the fact that this story, aside from some adjacent characters, had nothing to do with the League of the Pink Carnation, it is one of my favorites of the series! I loved Mistletoe and I love the Fitzhugh family, so the return of Sally was a treat.
Jessica Howard
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn't love Blood Lily, or Garden Intrigue, so I was a bit nervous about where this series was headed.

But I have LOVED the last two -- Purple Plumeria & Midnight Manzanilla are both tons of fun. I especially enjoyed Sally Fitzhugh's delightfully determined character in this one.
Beth
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
1. Where were the spies?

2. As far as this book's actual plot goes: derivative and boring, and yet there were glimpses of potential, mostly with regard to Lucien's backstory. Even that is wasted, though, or overblown.

3. The best part of this book was the preview for the next book.
Amber
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I keep trying with the Pink Carnation series, and they just aren't my thing. They should be, but they feel too Harlequin romance for me.
Adrielle
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I adore this series. This one centres on Sally, Turnip's little sister, and Turnip makes an appearance. In my book, that's a win! Hilariously dysfunctional and loving characters take you fir another wild ride of intrigue. What could be better?
Alix
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up.

Based on other reviews I read of the book, I went into it not think of it as an official Pink series book, which I think made me enjoy it even more.

I really like the story and characters. I thought Lucien was a great hero and I like the dynamic with Sally. I also enjoyed the mystery, which Willig did an great job of setting and weaving through the story (even though it was pretty obvious).

I LOVED all the Eloise and Collin sections. I am SO happy we're finally past all the Je
Taylor
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it

I've been an avid fan of this series from the beginning, and the latest installment did not disappoint. Although having Jane's book follow Miss Gwen's book would have had a nice symmetry, I am thrilled that Lauren Willig decided to include Sally's story. I personally think the Fitzhughs' evolution over the course of the series is one of the marks of Willig's skill at storytelling. While Turnip is still a little silly, bringing him into the action and revisiting the bond between Turnip a
Suzanne
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am surprised by the number of good reviews for this book. I have read this entire series and thoroughly enjoyed all of them up until this one.

As one prior poster asked "Where were the spies?" This entire story and plot seemed contrived and tortured as if this book doesn't belong in the series at all. Ms. Gwen makes a slight appearance but I was not entirely sure why she was even there.

The book had great possibilities to develope the idea of the murdered couple as spies or counterspies....or so
Darbi Bradley
I think this might be the weakest of the series. The two main regency characters are only dubiously connected to the main arc of the previous books. So it's only kind of a "spy romance." There was the brief idea of early 1800s Louisiana which would've made an awesome story and then we just quit that thread and went back to the ballroom. Sigh.

Plus Eloise! Sweet Jesus, Eloise is an insecure mess of a woman, not an awesome super smart grad student. You're in your 30s! Sack up! Her and Colin have ma
Jenni
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
And now I'm up-to-date on my Pink Carnation reading. =)

I think these books get better was the story goes on. I did like the departure from the regular story line and I have always thought Sally was hilarious, so this being her book was a lot of fun. It does still read formulaic like the rest of the books, though the plot twists in this one were different from those in the other books. I enjoyed both the historic part and Eloise and Colin's part of this book, something that I can't always say. I
Maria
Lucien, Duke of Belliston, is rumored to be a vampire, which is one of the reasons that you shouldn't believe everything you hear. Sally Fitzhugh is ready and eager to help him clear his name... and catch the French spies who murdered his parents.

Why I started this book: Some series are just really fun fluff.

Why I finished it: I struggled to get back into the flow of the story, it's been so long since I read the last one. But it was fun and light, just what I had expected.
Sharyn
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite so far! Only one more to go. The end of a wonderful series coming today. But "Mark" is just so funny. Sally Fitzhugh takes center stage in this one and she is just fabulous, smart and funny and loyal. Lucien does not stand a chance!! Gwen makes an appearance, as this is sort of based on her book, and a vampire craze right before Dracula becomes popular. A good mystery, many psychological truths, a lot of love. I will be sad when it comes to an end!
Meg
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
These pink carnation books are frilly, silly fun!
Jill ferris
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not one of her best but still good.I was sorry to hear that there will only be one more book in the series.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 14, 2015 09:18AM
  • Behind the Shattered Glass (Lady Emily, #8)
  • Night of a Thousand Stars
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)
  • His Spanish Bride (Rannoch/Fraser Chronological Order #0.5)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
Lauren Willig is the New York Times bestselling author of sixteen works of historical fiction. Her books have been translated into over a dozen languages, awarded the RITA, Booksellers Best and Golden Leaf awards, and chosen for the American Library Association's annual list of the best genre fiction. After graduating from Yale University, she embarked on a PhD in English History at Harvard before ...more
More about Lauren Willig...

Pink Carnation (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Pink Carnation, #1)
  • The Masque of the Black Tulip (Pink Carnation, #2)
  • The Deception of the Emerald Ring (Pink Carnation, #3)
  • The Seduction of the Crimson Rose (Pink Carnation, #4)
  • The Temptation of the Night Jasmine (Pink Carnation, #5)
  • The Betrayal of the Blood Lily (Pink Carnation, #6)
  • The Mischief of the Mistletoe (Pink Carnation, #7)
  • The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation, #8)
  • The Garden Intrigue (Pink Carnation, #9)
  • The Passion of the Purple Plumeria (Pink Carnation, #10)
“This was Hist and Lit, after all. If you couldn't work the term "liminal" into your tutorial, you were doing it wrong.” 1 likes