Start by marking “No Safe House (No Time For Goodbye, #2)” as Want to Read:
No Safe House (No Time For Goodbye, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

No Safe House

(No Time For Goodbye #2)

The New York Times bestselling author delivers the follow-up to No Time for Goodbye--an electrifying novel of suspense in which a family's troubled past is about to return in more ways than one. And this time, they may not be able to escape....

Seven years ago, Terry Archer and his family experienced a horrific ordeal that nearly cost them their lives. Today, the echoes of that fateful nigh
Published August 5th 2014 by NAL

Start your review of No Safe House (No Time For Goodbye, #2)
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*

This book started out so good in the beginning but then it just seemed to go flat. I was a little disappointed even though I did like it. This is the second book in the No Time for Goodbye series. I loved the first book a lot better.

It is two decades later and Cynthia is married to nice high-school English teacher Terry Archer, now the mother of bright little Grace, Cynthia has never really gotten over the disappearance. Raised by her gruff but loving aunt Tess,
Carmen
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
I don't know where I got the idea that once you've come through a very dark time, after you've confronted the worst possible demons and defeated them, that everything's going to be just fine.

Doesn't work that way.

This book was really good! Way better than No Time for Goodbye. This is a direct sequel to No Time for Goodbye, taking place 6 years later.

I rated No Time for Goodbye three stars. This book, the sequel, was definitely superior. I think a big part of this is that after reading No T
Barbara
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it

The Archer family - dad Terry, mom Cynthia, and teen daughter Grace - experienced serious personal trauma so it's not a surprise that Cynthia is over-protective of her daughter. In the spirit of rebellion Grace dates a juvenile delinquent and ends up breaking into a house to 'borrow' a sports car for a joy ride. Coincidentally someone else has also broken into the house. Before long a gun goes off and things go seriously belly up.

In an attempt to protect Grace from the consequences of her actio
Zoeytron
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first novel I have read by this author and he certainly knows how to keep the reader turning the pages. The writing is crisp and clean, nothing flowery here, nor should there be in this type of thriller.

The bad guys are thugs, some of them are 'dumb as shoes'. One of them has 'a wife who had a face that would make a Pamplona bull turn around and go back'. He calls her Jabba the Hutt, but not to her, um, face. He's not a complete idiot.

The story begins with a b
Ben
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Very disappointing. I have read a few of Mr. Barclay's books , including the one that is the prequel to this one NoTime to Say Goodbye, and I thought this book was poorly conceived and carried through. IMO, the book was neither thrilling nor exciting at all, a big fault in a thriller, to say the least.
Most of the characters from the earlier book are here, older but not wiser, not having learned much ( as the father character regretfully notes) from previous troubles; that includes the car
Mandy
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a sequel to No Time For Goodbye, which I read many years ago.
I have to admit, I had forgotten most of the plot of that book and I think this affected my enjoyment of this book.
This is the story of one family, and how their lives are affected when they get mixed up in something they shouldn't have.
I found this to be a quick read, and the plot raced along all the way through. There was never a dull moment and I wanted to keep reading, to find out what was going to happen.
Tami Carpel
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like the sequel to No Time For Goodbye. I didn't like the storyline (and the side stories) at all or the way it carried on throughout the book and the way it ended. It seemed to drag on and for me there were really no shockers or surprises. I was disappointed with this book and wished that Linwood Barclay would have stopped with the Archer family at No Time For Goodbye.
Dana Moison
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Linwood Barclay quickly became one of my favorite authors, after reading his original and surprising thriller novel – “No Time for Goodbye”. When I came across “No Safe House”, and realized that the starring characters in this book are the ones from “No Time for Goodbye”, I knew I had to read it.
I find it charming, the way we encounter once again familiar characters from beloved books, like old acquaintances, one might say even friends. That’s how I felt while reading Terry’s contemplations, an
Matt
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Barclay's latest thriller, sure to captivate the reader, reintroduces the Archer family: Terry, Cynthia, and Grace, last seen in the nail-biting NO TIME FOR GOODBYE. During a time of familial fragility, Terry is left to care for Grace all on his own. After breaking curfew and being out with boy Terry deems a bad apple, Grace finds herself in more trouble than she hoped to find on this summer evening. After she assists with a break and enter that goes seriously awry, a struggle ensues and a gun f ...more
Ann Girdharry
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first novel by this author and it was a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed it.

Schoolteacher Terry is caught in a dilemma when his daughter, Grace, breaks into a house with her delinquent boyfriend. A gun is fired and the boyfriend disappears. So starts the beginning of Terry’s nightmare.

In this story, Terry tries to juggle what to do for the best. He wants to save his daughter from being implicated or from carrying guilt for the rest of her life because of one reckless, adolescent
Cheryl
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I received this as an advanced reader's copy. I was thrilleld because Barclay has become one of my favorite authors.

Unfortunately, this book was a bit of a disappointment.

The book features the same characters from "No Time For Goodbye" (His best! Read it if you haven't already! 5 stars!) So I thought wow, this will be awesome, and then I started reading.

The first half is slow. The author usually conveys an intriguing mystery (disappearances, accidents) that th
Robert James
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm probably very much in the minority but I thought this was a swing and miss. There is a plot storyline that is introduced and doesn't go anywhere, There was a plot point that must have been missed by the author and his editor that bothered me for the balance of the book. I thought this book is an example of a very talented author just going through the motions. I still love this author's work and will continue to read him. However this is one that could be skipped.
retronerd  Steinkuehler
Aug 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I ordinarily like this author but i am on page 75 of this book and am struggling to continue. I do not like any of the characters, the story-line is very disjointed. Fortunately, i have back-up reading material. So I think this book goes back to the library today for some other Barclay fan. Good luck!!
Ehbooklover
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I had high hopes for this title when I heard that it was a sequel to "No Time for Goodbye" (which I consider to be one of the best thrillers that I've ever read). Unfortunately, in the end I was left underwhelmed by this book. The one dimensional and unlikeable characters and an unrealistic and convoluted plot made for a disappointing read by an author I used to consider a safe bet.
Michele Coleman
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to be able to download a preview copy of Barclay's newest novel No Safe House. It goes back to the characters from his first book No Time For Goodbye. While it brings back Terry and Cynthia the story itself is a standalone. As always Barclay writes a first class thriller that will keep you up past bedtime. A page turner !
Florence Csage
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very disappointed in this book. The plot was disjointed and the characters were not believable--too many dead bodies for no reason! I have enjoyed other books by this author and couldn't help wondering if Mr. Barclay really wrote this one!
Karen
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Time for Goodbye was my very first Linwood Barclay book back in 2008 and I loved it – so much so that I have read every single book of his ever since. No Safe House catches up the Archer family, 7 years later and I couldn’t wait to read it.

You don’t need to have read No Time for Goodbye as there is enough back story here to give you the gist of the previous story without going into too much detail, however I would recommend that you do read it as not only is it such a good book, but yo
Toni Osborne
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
No Time for Goodbye #2

This novel is a darkly and definitely a creepy thriller that brings rebellious 14 year old Grace Archer agreeing to joyride with her bad boy friend Stuart who happens to be the son of a man who works for underworld figure Vince Fleming. This evening prank turns out into something very dangerous bringing her whole family embroiled in Vince world….

Mr. Barclay’s fast-paced plot revolves around a competing gang of ruthless criminals who seem hell-bent on
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
No Safe House was well-written and riveting for the most part. Despite being slow-paced every so often, it's still very thrilling and suspenseful.
Teri
I won this through Goodreads First Reads.
It took me a while to get through, I had some other reading commitments and then I had to get the first one as I hadn't realized at first that this was a sequel.
No Safe House-3 stars. I liked this significantly less than the first one.
Let me explain though, its not the writing, I love the writing. I love Terry's perspective the most. I like a good mystery, the changing povs, the way things are unfolding before me but I can't quite fit it toge
Lynn
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
No safe house is a great title for this follow on to No time for goodbye.

Seven years after the Archer family's ordeal, we find that Cynthia is personally battling her demons on a daily basis to the detriment of her relationship with Terry her husband and daughter, Grace. Her overprotective handling of the family has finally lead to her moving out to gain damage control and hopefully give some perspective on her paranoia.

Grace, who was too young to remember the original or
Robert Smith
Linwood Barclay and Harlan Coben have similar sorts story lines and a similar style. I'd say if you like one you'll like the other.

I've tended to prefer Barclay over Coben on the basis that the former requires a little less suspension of disbelief. With this one however I'm no longer so sure about that.

Not wishing to spoil the book for anyone I'll just say that right from the start the basic plot strains credulity as does much of the subsequent 'incident'.

I wo
Niki
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I've won from Goodreads and also the first I've read from Linwood Barclay. The first chapter drew me in and I couldn't put it down. The end definitely left me wishing there was more. I will be reading more from this author in the future.
Kelly
This is a difficult review to write for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I really wanted to like it, but instead I feel as deflated as a recently emptied urostomy bag. There was so much going on that it should have been an epic thriller, but look a bit more closely and you find that what you are reading isn't as well-formed as first thought.

I remember giving the first Archer book No Time for Goodbye a fairly negative review because of the lack of emotional impact that the book had - Terry be
Siobhan
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I jumped on the Linwood Barclay bandwagon quite late, if I’m honest. I picked up one of his books when it was on offer, only to realise I needed to read more and raided a family member’s collection. It was a good week when I worked through her Barclay books (even if she only had a handful for me to read). So when this one came out, a second story for the Archer family, I had to give it a read.

I’m going to be honest by saying I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I did the first Archer b
Naomi
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/1ONFn0Q

My opinion: I must say that I have very mixed feelings regarding this book. I love this author but feel that the span of time between books in the series was too far. I had given the first book in this series 5 stars, but found that I had to spend too much time remembering events and dynamics between characters than on the story itself.

As in his typical style, character and plot development is superb. I simply wish that this book would have been pu
Dez Nemec
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, audiobook
The story was entertaining, but I hated every character in this book. Except Vince. At least he owned what he was - a slimeball mafia wannabe. Terry is spineless and whiny. Cynthia is selfish and overbearing. And Grace...I know she's a teenager, but she couldn't possibly make worse decisions if she tried. "Oh....you know someone with a cool car and we're going to 'borrow' it? Okay. But we have to break into the basement to do it? Okay. And you have to carry a gun? Okay." I couldn't roll my eyes ...more
Jo Ring
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good.
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

I’m a huge fan of Linwood Barclay and this book catches up with the characters of No Time For Goodbye seven years later.  I loved that book and couldn’t wait to see what fate had in store for this unlucky family next!

First Line of No Safe House by Linwood Barclay:
“Richard Bradley had never thought of himself as a violent man, but right now he was ready to kill someone.”
My Thoughts on No Safe House by Linwood Barclay:
First off I think you shouldsomeone.”irst
AdiTurbo
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF. I can't believe this is the sequel to No Time to Say Goodbye, which I enjoyed so much. That book really played with my mind, gave me heart palpitations, and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to learn what was really going on. This one is just blahhh. There's nothing interesting going on, the characters are terrible. The writer would have us believe that a mother would leave her teenage children who need her because she has confrontations with them. Seriously? Even with this mother's bac ...more
Oakville Reads: * Questions for Linwood Barclay 40 35 Jul 01, 2015 02:06PM
Oakville Reads: Question #4: The Mysterious "it" 8 16 Jun 29, 2015 03:28PM
Oakville Reads: Question #3: Father-Daughter Relationships 5 18 Jun 22, 2015 11:32AM
Oakville Reads: Question #2: Stand alone or Sequel? 11 22 Jun 22, 2015 11:27AM

• Klaarlichte dag
  • Nieuws van nergens
  • Een nieuw afscheid
  • Dodenstoel
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Skärgårdsmorden
  • Geknipt voor jou
  • Shamrock Alley
  • Mij zie je niet
  • The Outsiders
  • The Look-Alike
  • The Wicked (Something Red, #2)
  • Something Red (Something Red, #1)
  • Hexult
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of seventeen novels for adults, including No Time for Goodbye, Trust Your Eyes and, most recently, A Noise Downstairs. He has also written two novels for children and screenplays.
Three of those seventeen novels comprise the epic Promise Falls trilogy: Broken Promise, Far From True, and The Twenty-Three. His two novels for children

No Time For Goodbye (2 books)
  • No Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye, #1)
“who packs it up in a big cargo container” 0 likes