Start by marking “One Dog Too Many (Mae December, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Dog Too Many (Mae December, #1)

One Dog Too Many

(Mae December #1)

Mae December runs a successful dog boarding business in Tennessee. When her neighbor, Ruby Mead-Allison fails to pick up her unruly Pomeranian from Mae's kennel, Mae pokes around and discovers the woman's body. She is found with a traffic counting cord around her neck, wearing one red boot. While delving into the mystery of Ruby's death, Mae meets handsome Sheriff Ben Brad ...more
Paperback, first , 280 pages
Published November 15th 2013 by Camel Press (first published November 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about One Dog Too Many, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Dog Too Many

Colleen Shogan
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! It took me a few chapters to get used to the multiple point of view with Mae December as clearly the "main character" but I ended up liking the approach to telling the story. The murder mystery was introduced quickly and the cast of suspects were clearly outlined within the first third of the book. I loved the details about dogs and the back story for several characters. I will continue reading the series!
Cindy
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don't remember when I read this but Ido remember reading esp. since I don't read much anymore but audiobook (avails one to be "hands-free") a requirement in my life. An enjoyable romp and main character didn't make me shout,"You just found that out 2 pages ago!" Recommended.
Cate
What a great start to a series. This Author’s debut novel contains exactly all the right ingredients needed to make a perfect cozy mystery.

Even if the reader wasn’t aware when they picked this up that is was set in the South, as soon as they start to meet and get to know the characters it would become apparent. The women and their mannerisms all reminded me of the Southern women I have encountered since coming to live in the US, and some even resembled family members which made me smile. Through
Sharon Chance
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In her novel, ONE DOG TOO MANY: A Mae December Mystery, debut novelist Lia Farrell (a pen-name for a mother/daughter writing team) delivers a lively tale with plenty of twists, turns, and unexpected situations to satisfy the most ardent cozy mystery lover. The story is told in several voices, including Mae, Sheriff Ben, and Detective Wayne with Mae’s best friend Tammy piping in occasionally, giving the tale several viewpoints of the mystery.

Farrell’s additional cast of characters are fun folks
Linda
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first in a new series of mysteries featuring the December family, and in particular Mae December, I read to the end within a day of starting! You know the characters are convincing and the plot is not a dead (sorry) give-away if that happens. The doggie boarding kennel business that Mae runs gives a different focus than culinary, B & B, bounty hunting etc to the series. I liked the December family, the setting and the clever plot turns. I'm already into Two Dogs Lie Sleeping if that is a ...more
Christine Lowe
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mae December

Mae December

This is a thoroughly delightful story. Considering the title, it came as no surprise this book was full of twists and laughter. I enjoyed the characters and their relationships, some simple and straightforward others more complicated and heartbreaking. The story and clues kept me guessing right till the end.
This book will satisfy anyone looking for a light hearted mystery.
Karen Dean Benson
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I finished One Dog Too Many. Characters spring to life. This is a story about southern women with all the attending mannerisms, gossip and feelings the mother/daughter team were able to toss in the mix. The story was a fun, great read. The authors led up to the climax with skill, creating a page turner.

Looking forward to the next one, which I understand includes the characters I liked.
John E.
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it - it was fast paced and absorbing, a puzzle within a puzzle, with many hints that I'm curious how they will be resolved.
barbara evans
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book

If could find a book with dogs in it I have to read it. The story was well well written with a good plot and great characters
Tanis
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is good, light and an easy read. The characters could have been developed a bit more, but the authors manage to do that in the next book. Altogether it’s a pleasant read.
Kelly
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animal-fiction
I really wanted to like this book but I couldn't. I couldn't like Mae December, no matter how hard I tried. Call me a dog snob, but having her "rescue" two dogs only to turn around and start breeding them? Not cool. Most rescues are firm on their spay/neuter policy, so this irked me. Then Mae's change from mourning her past fiancée to being in love with the Sheriff? It was too much of an about-turn. I couldn't get into the story, possibly because of the inconsistencies.

Sorry - this one just did
Trish
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable book, a mystery with almost too many suspects, and a believable plot. But something just wasn't quite there. From what I've been able to tell this is a debut novel and it holds a lot of promise. I'd read another in the series, but there were some elements of the mystery solving that simply did not ring true, and they were enough to really bother me. Not sure that I'm crazy about Mae December, but I could be. Time will tell.
Julia K. Lawrence
One fine mystety

I enjoyed this book immensely. It had romance, intrigue, police procedures including a forensic aspect, a small town atmosphere and most importantly, dogs. I did not figure out the bad guy until close to the end. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.
Regan
Aug 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF.....two .... well more like 1-1/2 dimensional characters. It was just a slog to get through the first 50 pages and with so many good books to read I just couldn't spend the time on one that was just pretty badly written.
wendy
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing

a very good, pleasant read. just a little too much romantic undertone for my taste. but the characters are likeable and the plot believable
Lisa
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Good start t o this series.
Lovereading
Jun 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Clementine's Shadow
  • The Guilty
  • Exsanguinate (World of Blood, #1)
  • The Dogs of War
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • Kalorama Shakedown (The Harry Reese Mysteries, #3)
  • From Mangia to Murder
  • The King's Grave: The Discovery of Richard III’s Lost Burial Place and the Clues it Holds
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: The Other People in Norman Rockwell's America
  • Trial of Intentions (The Vault of Heaven, #2)
  • Skull Session
  • Time Fall
  • Under the Black  Ensign
  • The Witch's Ladder (Tony Marcella Mystery, #1)
  • Imperfect
  • World War I: The Definitive Visual History from Sarajevo to Versailles
  • Sweet Holy Motherfucking Everloving Delusional Bastard
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
Lia Farrell was born in January of 2009, the brain-child/pen-name of a mother/daughter writing team. Lia’s first book, cozy mystery ‘One Dog too Many’, was released by Camel Press on November 15th of 2013. It was, of course, instigated by a dog. Lyn Farquhar, the mom in this duo, lives in Michigan. One icy morning when she was going out to walk her dogs, her younger Corgi, Millie, pulled hard on t ...more

Mae December (6 books)
  • Two Dogs Lie Sleeping (Mae December, #2)
  • Three Dog Day (Mae December, #3)
  • Four Dog's Sake (Mae December, #4)
  • Five Dog Voodoo (Mae December, #5)
  • Six Dogs 'til Sunday (Mae December, #6)