Start by marking “The House of the Deer” as Want to Read:
The House of the Deer

The House of the Deer

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The House of the Deer, an exciting and suspenseful novel laid in the enchanting background of a deer-forest in the Highlands of Scotland, was written by D.E. Stevenson to oblige her many fans who read Gerald and Elizabeth and asked for “more about Gerald.”

Gerald Burleigh-Brown spends a vacation in a primitive old house miles from the nearest village, but it isn’t long befo
Published January 1st 1971 by Holt, Rinehart and Winston (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The House of the Deer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of the Deer

Theresa
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
“The House of the Deer” is the sequel to “Gerald and Elizabeth", which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Gerald’s sister Bess, the famous actress, is now married to the shipyard owner, Walter McCallum. Hired by his new brother-in-law to help with security, Gerald begins to regain his confidence and we follow his adventures in this story set in Scotland. Gerald joins a house party in the north, hosted by the MacAslan family, to stalk deer. Lots in here about hunting and conservation that I hadn't known!

"A
Bethany
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to Gerald and Elizabeth and I admit, that was not my favourite D. E. Stevenson but I figured I'd read its sequel anyway to see what happened to Gerald. I liked this one even less than Gerald and Elizabeth. The love story(/ies) did absolutely nothing for me. Have I ever mentioned that I hate love at first sight in books? My brain just shuts down when someone sees a beautiful person and instantly knows they have lost their heart forever. I can only roll my eyes and think "Really ...more
Miriam
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Stevenson never writes the most suspenseful suspense. And Gerald wasn't the most exciting character, although he seemed a pleasant enough guy and since he was in a previous story it was nice to get more resolution on his life. I appreciated his nuanced objection to shooting deer. I found the degree of loathing expressed by some characters for "imperfect" stags kind of disturbing, but I don't know enough about deer to tell whether it had any grounds.

The female characters were never filled out eno
K.
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Feb 9, 16
More "I love you frightfully" lines.
Three stars for good Scotland descriptions. Otherwise, as lackluster as the prequel. Not terrible, just not terribly wonderful either. Like her earlier novels so much more.
Heather
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. :) I loved that Phil got a happy ending. I remember enjoying her character before. I liked this continuation of Gerald's story. I didn't care for Gerald & Elizabeth as much as some of her other books. I loved being in the highlands again. :)
Alisha
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a sequel to Gerald and Elizabeth. Characters still interesting and likeable, but the story was all over the place. Gerald is persuaded to take a vacation and stay with some friends of his brother-in-law. It's an estate in rural Scotland where the landowners are ready to cull the too-populous deer herd, so they have people come stay and hunt. In the beginning and middle of the book there is a bit too much animal death for me, which is what affected my rating. Other than that some things ...more
Dawn
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was a good read with well developed characters where friendliness, kindness and compassion triumph over arrogance, greediness and disdain for those "below" you.
Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Jan Karon
Shelves: fiction
This book features the main character in Gerald and Elizabeth. Now that his sister is happily married, Gerald has a little more leisure time. But his new job working for his brother-in-law is anything but soft, and he must confront industrial espionage. Between fighting off villains and falling in love, he does a little deer hunting too. Sometimes her endings are a little abrupt, and I felt this was one of those times, but still very enjoyable.

CMB
Anne
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Found this one at the Beaverton library on our recent trip to Portland. I love te way D.E. Stevenson transports you instantly to Scotland, where the story is set. She has a knack of describing scenery without being tedious. And few "good story" writers can create believable male protagonists as she does. This book was published in 1971 and she manages to tie up a lot of loose ends for minor characters from previous novels. But it stands alone well.
Cricket Muse
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A continuance of Gerald and Elizabeth, The House of the Deer, centers on Gerald who takes a holiday in Scotland at the request of his boss, Sir Walter, who is now his brother-in-law. What should have been a uneventful time is filled with a household drama, kidnapping, hunting adventure, and romance. It's D.E. Stevenson at her best.
Carolyn
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel of Gerald and Elizabeth. Gerald is sent on vacation to a deer park. He has been invited to cull the huge deer herd. Instead he becomes hunted himself.

Connections to other books: Smouldering Fire; The Marriage of Katherine;
Dianna
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A bit more action-packed than most of D.E. Stevenson's books, but that's not an unwelcome addition. The ending was a bit too easy and less satisfying than some, but I still enjoyed the book.
Noël
Oct 20, 2011
Kelly
Nov 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Her father was a Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable
More about D.E. Stevenson