Start by marking “Meta (Meta, #1)” as Want to Read:
Meta (Meta, #1)

Meta

(Meta #1)

It’s been ten years since Connor Connolly lost his parents in ‘The Battle’; a fight between The Governor and Jones, two of the world’s strongest metas. Before ‘The Battle’ the world had been full of metas, super-powered humans whose amazing abilities came from mysterious wristbands. Since that day one has never been seen again.

Now 16 years old, Connor lives in Bay View Ci
Published November 1st 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published October 30th 2013)

James
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Meta is a story about a teenager who suddenly finds himself with superpowers in a world where others are also suddenly gaining them. 10 years ago, "metas" were everywhere, and since disappeared. Now they're back.

There are several reasons for the 2 stars, both a poor match up with me and what I assume is the target audience, but also there are some issues with the writing and story itself.

1) I think this book is best suited to a 12 or 13-year-old audience. It's very straight forward and pretty tw
Abhiroop Basu
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults (physically or mentally)
My first review on GoodReads for two reasons: a) an up and coming author needs all the support he can get, and more importantly b) finally an original book worth reviewing.

What I thought about when reading Meta?
Very simply, Meta takes me back to when I was about 13 and lapping up young adult fiction. The likes of Ender's Game, NetForce, Harry Potter, Famous Five, His Dark Materials, etc weighing down my shelf. Meta is a very simply book and for that reason I polished it off in 24 hours and enjoy
Meghan Grant
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I originally found this book on Wattpad, after passing it by for weeks slowly making its way into the #1 spot for Sci-fi/fantasy I finally gave in and started to read it. by the time I got caught up to chapter 30 I knew I couldn't keep waiting for a new chapter to be posted so I took advantage of the .99 deal in amazon and bought it. Even if it was only to read the last 7 chapters, it was definitely the best dollar spent.
I am (with many others I'm sure) waiting (not) so patiently for the next b
Jesse Hopkins
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm going to start out by saying that I cannot wait for the 2nd one...
I really like the way the author ended the book, perfect set up for the next one. He did a real good job by focusing the story on the main character Connor, and basically introduced the supporting cast of characters such as Sarah and Jeff. I truly believe that was smart on the author's part because it was a short book and we got to know the main character very well and learn small bits and pieces of the rest. I think it will m
Jeff Lerman
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tom you lucky dog, you have the pleasure of reading my first goodreads review, as I had the pleasure of reading your first book.

I'm actually giving this a 3.75/5, but it seems like fractions are discriminated against here.

I've only recently re-learned how to read and have been in the midst of a mass book binge-athon the past 2 months. I definitely enjoyed reading Meta and was equally more impressed considering this was Tom's first non-smut book.

My main criteria for determining how much I enjoyed
Rebecca
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was an easy and exciting to read with short chapters that lead into each other well building suspense and gripping drawing the reader in and giving them an enjoyable read. The storyline was not unlike the villan.net and its spin off series however it was also hugely different and original.

The main character is Connor a normal guy who lost his parents in a fight between two Meta’s, now has uncovered that he too has super powers that he wants to use to help others. With the help of an ol
Ashley Florer
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun read. It had a good plot as well as good characters, but it wasn't very suspenseful. It seemed to have great potential, but fell short at times. It was sometimes obvious what was about to happen. It was almost too easy when Connor found someone to help him with his powers right away and how easy it was for him to learn how to use his powers. Despite its faults, I did enjoy this book, because of how relatable Connor was and the awesome powers that he and the other Metas' posse ...more
S.J. Abraham
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
In a world where bookshelves are currently filled with dark distopias and post-apocalyptic wastelands Meta is a welcome change. Quite simply, it's just a fun book. Tom Reynolds has captured a fantastic, snarky self-deprecating voice that made his main character one I really wanted to keep reading and that's not something that happens often. The plot is a creative tweak on your average superhero origin story. All in all, it's a great read and one that leaves you looking forward to more adventures ...more
Blaine Moore
The story was okay; there were some general flaws with the pacing and what not, but it was still a fine diversion. The author should not have tried to narrate it himself, however. Every character had the same voice, and there were many times when I couldn't tell if another character had started speaking or it was still the original one, nor could I tell when the hero was thinking to himself or speaking out loud. There was also a lack of gravity during the action scenes, it was just being read ou ...more
D.L. Denham
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Congratz on Best Seller for Fantasy/Super Hero. I finished the read earlier today. Very entertaining and the fight scenes were well written. Looking forward to the next part to this series. Connor Connelly, Omni, is a very relatable protagonist. Thumbs up!
Alicia
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was a little rough around the edges, but the story was entertaining.
Jason
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meta is a superhero story, but one that stands out for its clever writing and exceptionally well written characters.
The story follow’s humans with superhuman abilities, known as Meta’s because they wear ‘Meta Bands’ that allows them to gain these abilities, which differ depending on the person wearing them.
As with all of these stories, there are those that are good, and those from the dark side of the dark side of the fence. At the end of the day, powers are just powers, it is how the person u
Douglas Debner
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
In the last five years or so superhero stories have become legion. This one has a slightly better than average set up for addressing the concerns about average people gaining super powers. I think I would have greatly enjoyed it when I was 14. Now, however, I found portions strangely wordy- like reading in detail about just how far into the woods a party is and why. Then other items I expected to be covered weren't, like what exactly caused the main character's brother to decide the main charact ...more
Ibi Anugwom
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant example the super hero genre

Most YA authors have a difficult time balancing the story and immersing the reader. Not this book though. This is the 2nd time I have read it and I have to say it is even better the 2nd time around.

The teen angst that is typical in these sorts of books is there but it does not overwhelm. That would have made me put down the book instantly as most writers seem to either overdo it or not include it at all.

I find myself wanting to read more on this character
Centauri
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will Connor and Sarah start dating? Who is Midnight, really? What truly happened to Jones and the Governor? And what's Iris' deal?
These questions and more linger at the conclusion of the story, but for good reason. Their answers are not necessary for the tale that unfolded, not really. They are the same questions the protagonist had. The story's narration was very mice, and felt kindred to a teen POV, a teen that suddenly has superpowers and is now being mentored by an aggressive vigilante. Eve
Hteph
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mmmmm ....

Everything about this is so standard and .... not novel at all. A very weak three is the mark I give it. The prose is wooden and there is no passion at all. The characters are quite flat, main character is self centered with endless amount of internal dialogue.
This book made me realize the strength of the hero team, a writing construct where you can bounce point if view, express feelings, and make info dumps without long-winded talk to themselves. Sadly I have two more books in the ser
Karlyn
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found the book enjoyable. The main character was believable. Unfortunately it’s hard for me to say it’s great because in the audible narration the author chose to read himself. Not sure if that was for money or what but very poor choice. He just reads the book, no inflictions or changing in tonality. It really took from the overall enjoyment of the novel. As a result I won’t be buying the next. :-/ I feel a little bad for putting this in a review but I wish I’d paid attention to others warning ...more
Peter Dutcher
Worth reading

This is a tough rating. I really enjoyed the pacing and the characters. All of it. But there were a LOT of errors in this book. If it were only 3-6, I would have rated 4 stars, but there were more than four times that many at least. So I gave it a 3 star rating.

Still, don't let that discourage you from reading this book. Story-wise, it is one of the best in this genre.
Warren
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
It was good, I really enjoyed it and loved what happened in the end fight. Also enjoyed both Connor and Sarah's character and the way both of them are awkward and prone to rambling (both in narration and dialogue). But I felt it was too short though, and while I can't put my finger on what it missed, it did miss something that I felt it probably woulda had if it was longer. Maybe character development or something... I dunno
Rose
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rose

This incredible story about unlikely people doing near impossible things had me entranced.. Tom Reynolds did a superb job introducing the most interesting things while people obtained unusual gifts and conducted weird happenings. It was a hard book to put down after I started it.
Chris
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Got the book for free thanks to Amazon prime. I started out not liking it very much and was very bored with the infinitely powerful main character. Although I loved the villain. The writing was straight forward, but was a short enough read that it wasn't too big of a problem. Overall I enjoyed it. Not sure whether or not I'll commit to the rest of the series.
Gareth
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to give this book a try, given the depth to which I enjoyed Drew Hayes' Super Powered series and Forging Hephestus. Tom Reynolds has a truly unique voice that I found refreshing and he seems keyed into the mind of the average adolescent boy who is suddenly endowed with incredible abilities though still forging his way as an unpopular teen. I laughed, I cheered.
Shannon Callahan
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

I don't recalled that I have ever read any "superhero" book before. This book already gave me a good start. However, I wish it was like in range of 300-400 pages book. Plus, 200 pages book mean less details and stomach wretch moments. I think storyline is pretty creative but background and setting is somehow blah.
Kristi
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was enjoyable. It kind of reminded me of a comic book. That may be because it's about superheros though...I'm not sure since this is the first superhero type book that I've read. The main character seemed to be your typical unpopular teenager. There wasn't much depth to him. I may continue on with the series, but probably not right away.
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for creative, light read

This is not a challenging book, but it is an action packed, fantasy novel involving super heroes. If you are looking for a deep, moving, edifying novel, look elsewhere. If you want a fun fantasy adventure with cartoonish violence, no sex, and very little foul language this book is for you.
Ana
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I liked the look at a different means of superhero having powers, especially in a super hero saturated culture. Also having found this book through other content from Tom, his voice is refreshing here.
Andrew Hedstrom
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It was okay. I like superheroes in general, so was intrigued by the idea of the book. However, it reads more like a comic book than an actual book. That, coupled with the plot holes, spelling errors, and questionable grammar, made it difficult to really enter into the story.
Jonathan Henderson
Solid superhero book

I appreciate the first-person perspective. It was good to get inside the head of the main protagonist undergoing the changes in real time (so to speak), as well as his understanding of the universe he’s in.
Yemic
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5* I actually enjoyed the novel, it felt more like college humour. I had some issues the writing sometimes, first off how did the protagonist get his powers, what is the origin of the bands. at some point the story was all over the place. I hope the second book is better I really like this genre.
Jackson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting take on the superhero genre, written from the perspective of a newly minted young 'meta' in sort of a journalistic style without actually being a journal. The way it was written put me off at times but it was still a tale worth experiencing.
  • Sensation (Kid Sensation, #1)
  • No Master Plan Here (Madness Runs in the Family, #1)
  • Super Powereds: Year 1 (Super Powereds, #1)
  • Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story (Wearing the Cape #1)
  • The Trials of Renegade X (Renegade X, #2)
  • Marrow
  • Blackjack Villain (Blackjack #1)
  • Secrets of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #2)
  • The Academy, Book One
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents I Blew Up The Moon (Please Don't Tell My Parents, #2)
  • The Second Super (The First Superhero, #1)
  • V is for Villain
  • Other People's Heroes
  • Super Villain Dad (Cape High, #1)

Meta (3 books)
  • The Second Wave (Meta, #2)
  • Rise of The Circle (Meta, #3)
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Arthur C. Clarke” 0 likes
“A position to stop it? I tried! I tried to get my metabands and I couldn't, okay? And that is what got Gary shot. I have to live with that now. Knowing that not only did I not prevent a man's death, I caused it with my stupid decisions. Are you happy now? You were right. I was wrong. I don't know what I'm doing! Okay? Happy?" I yell.” 0 likes