Start by marking “The Hundred: Fall of the Wents” as Want to Read:
The Hundred: Fall of the Wents

The Hundred: Fall of the Wents

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Millions of years in the Earth’s future, humans have long vanished from the planet. Evolution has produced a host of wondrous and intelligent beings: shape-shifting Fantastic Grouts with globes of light atop their skulls; creatures descended from flowers; and massive swarms of bees that can bore perfect holes through metal or bone.

But some seek a way to bring the humans b
Kindle Edition, 1, 353 pages
Published October 16th 2013 by Jennifer Prescott

A.G. Howard
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
HOLY MASTERFUL WORLD BUILDING, Batman! You know you're reading something special when you forget that the non-human characters in a fantasy aren't human, because their emotions, relationships, and motivations *feel* so relatable and sympathetic.

I've always held up Tolkien's Gollum as the pinnacle of a relatable and flawed creature character. Well, Miss Prescott is following in Tolkien's footsteps with this tale and has managed to win my heart over with the trio of Tully, Aarvord, and Copernicus
A.M. Supinger
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
THE HUNDRED is unlike any other book I've ever read--and I've read more than my fair share. Some books pick you up and drop you into a new, exciting world--Jennifer Prescott doesn't. She wipes the slate clean and all but drowns you in a vivid fantasy so unlike anything else in MG or YA that you'll be lost, clinging to her characters like they're your only lifeboats.

My favorite part of the book could easily be overlooked in the grand scheme of such a fantastical masterpiece…because they’re so sm
Britt
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-t-wait
*4.5 stars*
I took the better part of today to finish this book and I'm so glad I did. This book is absolutely magical. I felt as if I was a younger girl reading CS Lewis for the first time. That's the vein it hit for me. I read quickly and sometimes tend to lose a lot of scenery and imagery in Lou of getting to the plot faster ( which is criminal on my part) but I couldn't do that with this book. I couldn't help but picture what Mrs Prescott was describing it was like she had an image ray she co
Precy Larkins
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this in less than 24 hours.

THE HUNDRED is a beautifully-crafted Fantasy, with superb worldbuilding and excellent non-human characters you'd want to root for all the way. It's a story of love and hope and friendship. It's a story that explores the meaning of humanity.

I was so impressed with the quality of the writing. The prose was seamless, masterful, and engaging. From the very first chapter I was immediately hooked, and I found it hard to stop reading.

Ms. Prescott's imaginative creation
Eclectisism Incarnate
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventurous readers who love children's fantasy.
This is (by far!) one of the most unique and original stories I've ever read. I couldn't believe I loved these characters. I mean, they're insects! Or what insects evolve into once humans are gone.
There were a few issues, such as knowledge being gained just as it becomes importent, but overall...just, wow!

However, I am heartbroken that there doesn't seem to be any news about the next book. Hopefully I will get to reunite with these characters again, sometime.
C.b. Prescott
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
<<<--DISCLAIMER--I AM THE AUTHOR’S HUSBAND-->>>

I am the author’s husband and, thus, may be biased. But, suffice it to say that, if I didn’t think The Hundred were worth your time, I wouldn’t be posting.

This book is one of those that pays back after you've put a bit of time in. Get over the first few pages of dealing with a new world, beings, and characters, and then reap the rewards as goes on to it's surprising conclusion (and not in a "Gotcha!" way--I hate those).

It's a post
Gene Cawley
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not to oversell it, but for me, this book is an epic. Well, the first installment of an epic, anyway.

I'm not typically a sci-fi/fantasy reader, but the story is incredibly compelling once the characters are introduced—there is a bit of setup involved, but it is more than worth it. I'd describe the book as The Lord Of The Rings meets The Wind In The Willows. The main characters, though not technically human, are very human and likable (or at least interestingly unlikeable). The book also manages
Daymartin
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect from "The Hundred: Fall of the Wents", but it got me hooked right from the start! A brilliant new fantasy novel that kept me thinking about it all day and sneaking off it read it after putting the kids to bed. Like the best Sci-fi / fantasy books, it gives you an unknown world to explore which then makes you questions the workings of our own. If you have an avid reader at home, they'll spend the whole day devouring this in one shot! I can't wait to pre-order the next ...more
Mary Frame
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
The Hundred is unlike any book you will ever read. The whole time, I could see the scenes unfolding in my mind's eye like I was watching it on film (you know, one of those amazing clay-mation films like FANTASTIC MR. FOX or THE PIRATES! Except BETTER!)

Ms. Prescott's imagination, world building, characters, EVERYTHING is so fantastical and fabulous...you really can't find anything like this anywhere else.

Tracy Litchfield
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tolkein mixed in a whole new way. Tough read for some young adults (since that market now encompasses 11-13 year olds) but great for the older skewing YA audience. Highly imaginative and intricate creation of a new world and new creatures. Interested to see the rest of the trilogy.
Madeline
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Real rating: 3.7-3.8 stars
WHOOOOOOA, man. What a fantastic book! Amazing world building, wonderful characters...
Again...WHOA. I just can’t...even...*flails arms aimlessly*
Kristyn
Feb 17, 2014
Danielle Thompson
Jan 30, 2016
Walter Christie
Nov 23, 2014
April Walters
rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2014
Dec 14, 2013
  • Firework Boy
  • John Carter: The Movie Novelization: Also Includes: A Princess of Mars
  • Willow's Smile
  • The Mora (Liminality, #2)
  • The Christmas Key: A Christmas Advent-ure
  • Mastering Pasta: The Art and Practice of Handmade Pasta, Gnocchi, and Risotto
  • The Mystic Travelogues
  • Godzilla - The Official Movie Novelization
  • 750 Years in Paris
  • Superfood Sandwiches: Crafting Nutritious Sandwiches with Superfoods for Every Meal and Occasion
  • Outriders
  • Seven Spoons: My Favorite Recipes for Any and Every Day
  • Primus, Over the Electric Grapevine: Insight into Primus and the World of Les Claypool
  • Restoration: Immortality Begins
  • The Search for South Pole Santa (The South Pole Santa Series #1)
  • Brave: The Junior Novelization
  • Origins
  • Sunweavers: Book One-The Brothers
Jennifer uses writing as a way to corral her fervent imagination, which would otherwise devour her whole in the night. An avid reader since childhood, she would insist on reading books at the dinner table (which led to food spots on many a library book) and while walking down the street (which led to occasionally falling into holes). She made her first nickel as a writer at the age of 6, when she ...more
More about Jennifer Prescott