Start by marking “Song and Signal” as Want to Read:
Song and Signal

Song and Signal

* From the award-winning, bestselling author of Devil's Hand and Burning Cards comes a universe-spanning science fiction adventure. *

Seventeen year-old genius Zakari Sharp has never stood on the surface of a planet, never seen a sun-streaked sky. He lives on a corporate-owned mining facility at the edge of the solar system, with a mute alien for a guardian and brainwashed
Published October 15th 2013 by Digimonkey Studios (first published October 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Song and Signal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song and Signal

Donald C. Collins
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Song And Signal blew me away. The bad guys are really bad guys and the good guys are written well and serve for comic relief in this tale of the desolation of space and the funky, creepy shit to be found out there.

Don't forget to breathe.
Abigail
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tour-books
I have found another author whose books I will be reading all of. I already owned the book when the tour came up and you know me, I have no control when it comes to tours, I have an affliction… err addiction errr both. It keeps me on a schedule and I already owned it, so what the heck! Well, it paid off! SONG and SIGNAL knocked me off my feet. I am not sure what pantheon of gods of the written word I did the appropriate sacrifice to but I am lucking out left and right when it comes to books late ...more
Thistle
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the beginning of this book. An orphaned boy being raised by an alien in some mining colony. The human race on its way to extinction. Most humans left doing grunt work, like mining, basically slaves to the other races. But this boy was different -- having been raised by the alien, he knew a lot more about the "Internet" of the universe.

Then the story went all over the place. An Evil Evil McEvil company. Some kind of assassin with nanotech added into his DNA.

If the book had focused just
Donna Zink
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

It was a very happy day when I received this book to review. YA Science Fiction has been so far off my radar the last couple years I’d almost forgotten it existed. SONG AND SIGNAL was a wonderful reminder of just how entertaining a well written one can be. I’ve got a niggling suspicion Mr. Patterson is an alien that’s written about his life in the outer limits of the universe, then disguised it as a novel. Frankly, some of the
Chelsey Nichols
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Song and Signal by M.E. Patterson concerns itself with the life of a young hacker, Zakari Sharp and his journey to alter the fate of the universe. But that’s not why this story is interesting. I’ve read a lot of “coming of age” tales that don’t actually get what that phrase means, but M.E. Patterson really nails it—this story was fast paced and full of interesting characters.

The story starts with a bang and doesn’t let up until the end—especially for a YA leaning text, M.E. Patterson really pa
Diayll
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Hardcore Sci Fi Adventures
Shelves: blog-tour
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source:Blog Tour
Reviewer: Me

Song and Signal threw me for an EPIC loop. From the moment I read the blurb until the very last page, Patterson’s out-of-this-world world building led me on a grandiose adventure deep into the realms of outer space and far beyond my imagination. Even from the beginning when we are introduced to our main character, Zak, readers are immediately thrust into science fiction heaven. Song and Si
Beverly McClure
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
SONG AND SIGNAL Review
M. E. Patterson

Take other worlds, other galaxies, and asteroids. Mix with characters like you’ve never before met. Add life and death. Stir in a search and a mystery, and you have an adventure that can possibly change the fate of humanity and the structure of the universe.

In SONG AND SIGNAL, Author M. E. Patterson introduces the reader to a cast of characters that face death almost every minute. There’s Zakari (Zak) Sharp, a teen in search of his father and the Theseus, h
Michele(mluker) Luker
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Song and Signal is one of those type of books that will help you harness your crazy Sci-fi geek self that you thought you lost. I thought I lost it, since it's been a while that I have read a good sci-fi novel. I can say, without a doubt, I'm psyched once again for the sci-fi genre.

Zak is alone, being raised by an alien, and doing crazy dangerous things to earn creds because he's dirt poor. He's had a rough go, with his father taking off with a stolen ship, and mother dying at a very young age.
Jalyn
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I’m not sure exactly what appealed to me about this book. Maybe it was the genius part, or maybe it was the near-mythical assassins. Whatever it was, SONG AND SIGNAL sounded interesting enough.

Zak didn’t seem very genius-y to me. Maybe he was a technological genius – he was certainly good at hacking and other tech stuff – but he didn’t seem super smart in other areas. That doesn’t mean I didn’t like him, because I did. He just wasn’t quite what I was expecting.

Liz, on the other hand, had the att
Rhett Petcher
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is M.E. Patterson's third book. It's different. His first two are Occult/Horror and are awesome. Go read them. I'll wait.

Back??? Good. Song and Signal is hard sci-fi set in a future where humanity is outnumbered, out gunned and fighting to stay alive in a universe made too big by not-completely understood technology. It follows a teenage-male protagonist in his quest to find his long-missing father. It also follows an-ex-con looking for redemption and revenge. As with Mr. Patterson's other
Storey family
Nov 03, 2015
Damien Mcintosh
Dec 24, 2013
Anverie
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2015
M. E. Patterson is an author and information technologist. His tales span the gamut from horror to fantasy to sci-fi. He lives with a geochemist and a dog in the Texas Hill Country.