Start by marking “The Lie of You: I Will Have What Is Mine” as Want to Read:
The Lie of You: I Will Have What Is Mine

The Lie of You: I Will Have What Is Mine

Can you hide your deepest fear?

To the outside world, Kathy is the very picture of a happy and fulfilled modern woman. She has a beautiful baby boy, a clever, handsome husband and a glamorous, high-powered job.

But not everybody is fooled. Her employee, Heja, knows the truth: the cracks in Kathy's marriage, her self-doubt, her fear of failure at work. Heja is perfectly place
Published January 16th 2014 by Head of Zeus (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Lie of You, please sign up.
Emma Reece Hi Gillian i read the kindle edition, as I've said early takes a while for the book to really begin rather then give to much away, id rate it better…moreHi Gillian i read the kindle edition, as I've said early takes a while for the book to really begin rather then give to much away, id rate it better then before i go to sleep i found that to begin with repetitive and tedious until half way in, this book makes you look around and think really who is who(less)

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Psychological Thrillers, Mysteries, Suspense
I devoured this book that I picked up from the library in a few hours, did not miss a single word and loved the journey along the way.

This suspenseful psychological thriller is very well written, the characters real and defined. We have Kathy, married to Markus, Editor of a prestigious British magazine, new baby, living the life. Then we have Heja, ex-Finnish TV Presenter, working at the same magazine as Kathy, the two ladies could not be more different, chalk and cheese.

The book switches betwe
Stephanie Karaolis
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
The psychological thriller genre is a tough one to navigate: when it’s done well (Gillian Flynn, Sophie Hannah, SJ Watson and so on), it’s great, but there’s a lot of dross out there too. The Lie of You isn’t terrible, but for me it’s a pretty poor example of the genre.

The premise is reasonable, if not entirely original. Heja is consumed with finding out as much as she can about her boss, Kathy: about her marriage, her new baby boy, her relationship with their magazine’s publisher, her confidenc
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the cover of this book, it is so simple yet it immediately captures your attention – and for me, it held my gaze and I couldn’t seem to tear my eyes away from it.

To everyone else, Kathy looks like the perfect woman – she has a beautiful baby boy, she’s married to her handsome husband and she has a successful high-powered job – and she seems happy and fulfilled. Everyone knows this. Everyone apart from Heja. Her employee Heja knows the truth, Heja knows about the cracks in Kathy
Lynsey Farmer
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book found it to be an easy read that you could leave and come back to. I enjoyed that the book was told from the two womens perspectives kathy and heja. I felt that i was shouting at how naive kathy was being at some parts and could not see what heja was up to. I took a dislike to heja straight away but by the end of the book i did feel abit of sympathy for her. Felt the two women were very good characters but I did not like Markus at all felt he was cold character. Would recomme ...more
Jamie❤Books
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
☆☆ 2 Yawning Stars☆☆

Stalking should be dangers and creepy not yawn & skim worthy. This book showed signs of goodness but the over played architect job descriptions was more boring than paint drying.

I kept reading in hopes to getting excited but my hopes were dashed page after page even after the rare glimpses of crazy
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on: http://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot....

If you knew Kathy, you would think she was a very lucky lady. She seems to have the perfect life with her high powered job in a top architectural magazine, a handsome husband and a lovely baby boy. However there is one person at her office who can see the cracks in Kathy's happy life and she wants to make these cracks show and turn Kathy's life upside down. Kathy has the one thing that Heja really wants and she will do whatever it tak
Nattie
Oct 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
I didn't like what I read. The first several pages didn't capture me and Kathy's first chapter set my teeth on edge.

I don't know exactly when female authors became obsessed with breastfeeding, but almost every book I pick up from 2010 and beyond, if it features a new mother, you're going to read many details on the subject. In various books, breastfeeding has taken a perverse turn, you had a father getting an erection while watching his daughter being fed, in another book, there was constant tal
Roiben
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Despite being tagged as a 'psychological thriller' I feel like this title does so in the mildest possible sense. Personally, I found it quite mediocre and had higher expectations from a Bafta judge. The pacing is short and sweet, it's a very easy title to read and you can dip back into it without having to re-read any of the smaller former chapters. It's by no means the worst thing I've read by any stretch, it's just a bit 'meh'. It was evident early on how the story was going to play out but I ...more
Lightrainbow
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Книга, рассказывающая нам о соперничестве и зависти, но, как по мне, еще и о том, к каким необратимым вещам может привести ложь. Не могу сказать, что книга держала в напряжении, но сохраняла интерес, страницы перелистывались быстро. При этом сюжет не особо динамичен, но вот чем-то цепляет, хочется узнать, что же там будет дальше. Не понравился стиль автора: минимум мыслей, размышлений, эмоций, максимум описаний действий и очень скомканных диалогов.
Helena Fairfax
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The characters in this novel were really well-drawn, believable and memorable. The scenes depicting the office politics particularly struck a chord! I was gripped by the suspense and kept turning pages to find out how/when all would be revealed. I don't often read psychological thrillers. I like novels where the characters have a lot of depth to them, and I've found with psychological thrillers that sometimes it's more about the page-turning plot, and the characters can be one-dimensional. With ...more
LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think that this is a solid four star book. This story was told from the POV of two women and the voices are very clear. I was very impressed with Heja's voice. She is from Finland and the narration from her had a very distinct tone. In fact Lythell did a fantastic job of portraying the women as two very separate, different people which I find writers often have a problem with.

For the me the biggest downfall of the book was the end which seemed rather anticlimactic. You knew where things were h
Denise
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Written from dual perspectives this psychological thriller is easy to read and quite gripping. It's a page turner, I read it over two nights as I just had to find out about these two women and how their stories would turn out.
An impressive well written debut, I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Tatiana
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ничего себе так триллер про двух дамок - одна пыталась превратить жизнь другой в ад. Причина стара как мир - мужик. Тут нет тайн, интриг, хотя написано просто и читается легко. Минус - это финал. Автор жестко лохонулась.
Tracey Scott-Townsend
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me immersed from the first page right through to the end. The characters of Heja and Kathy were instantly defined and recognisable from the first words in their individual chapters. Heja is chilling and yet there are chinks in her ice-like character through which her vulnerability can be glimpsed. Her relationship with her father and her enduring love for Markus in particular.
Kathy's physicality (her period unexpectedly returning and when she breastfeeds her baby) makes her loveabl
Nathaly
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Celá recenzia https://nathalys-reading.blogspot.com...

Začiatok vás naláka, no potom ide všetko dolu kopcom, a vy neviete, čo čítate. Čítate psychologický thriller? Ak áno, tak Zničím tě a vezmu si, co je mé je veľmi slabá, priam úbohá ukážka tohto žánru. Táto kniha by vôbec nemala byť zaradená do takejto kategórie. Dielo je prvoplánové od začiatku do konca. Žiadne obrovské zvraty v ňom nehľadajte. Bojím sa, že pre fanúšika tohto žánru môže byť táto novinka veľkým sklamaním. Nemajte očakávania, l
Lia Valenti
Coinvolgente come La ragazza del treno, geniale come Una famiglia quasi perfetta!
Non credete a una sola di queste frasi!
Questo libro non ha niente a che vedere con i due libri suddetti .
Ho passato la domenica a leggerlo,il kobo mi dava 281 pagine,il primo e
unico colpo di scena ( per modo di dire dato che si inizia a intuire quello che succederà una decina di pagine prima) inizia dopo 200 pagine!
Jenny in Neverland
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Firstly, I’d like to thank Becci Sharpe from Head of Zeus for sending me a lovely and unexpected copy of this book. It’s set to be published in paperback on 16th January 2014 but is already out in Kindle format under the title ‘I Will Have What Is Mine’. This book is based around the lives of two very different women – Kathy and Heja. To the outside world, Kathy looks like she has the perfect life. She is the editor of a very successful architectural magazine, has a beautiful baby boy and a hand ...more
Annabel
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all, I loved the physical, aesthetic quality of this book - it just made me want to read it straight away, as it made me think that the novel was something 'different'.

I didn't love the opening couple of chapters, as it felt a bit 'chick-lit', which I wasn't expecting. But this works to introduce the fundamental characters, then the emotional drama takes pace and I was gripped.

The characters were pretty strong, but the plot was very strong; clues and mysterious elements were cleverly hi
Giada
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo libro può apparire semplice e molto comune e da una parte è proprio così, ma c'è un lato, un modo nuovo di leggerlo, che lo rende diverso dagli altri. Non è la solita storia dove arriva qualcuno per rovinare una famiglia o una storia d'amore. Cioè in parte sì, ma io ci ho trovato molto di più. All'inizio è tutto così calmo, sembra quasi di leggere un romanzo rosa, ma poi tutto d'un tratto la storia si smuove, si succedono degli avvenimenti e delle parole che cambiano completamente il circ ...more
Derrian
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Psychological thrillers are probably my favourite genre of novel,and whilst this book used the popular 'woman scorned' theme,it was still very enjoyable and I read it in two sittings.

My main criticism about this book is the characters and lack of depth about them,as well as the way they interacted with each other. Kathy and Marcus acted out more like work colleagues than husband and wife,and Markus himself was not a believable character,even with cultural differences.

What I liked about the book
Aiesha
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
Overall a good read, well written. Leaves you emotionally wanting for characters in the novel. Great depiction of the classic European headcase and kinda leaves you wondering about the elusive feeling of love. The interdependence between characters is sometimes astonishing. It really reinforces that life isn't fair.
Laura Elisabeth
I loved this book, it was so dark and gritty. We follow two main characters journeys throughout the book, flipping from one to the other. It is a great read and would appeal to fans of gone girl type books.

I will be looking out for more books by this author!
Vita Kadile
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Неплохо написано и есть элемент триллера. Интересная идея того что каждая глава написано с разной перспективы - одной из двух главных героинь. Конец разочаровал по всем фронтам, отсюда и долой звезду от 4.
Nic
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Extremely disappointing given the reviews. I just wasn't gripped or engaged with the characters or the story. I felt it lacked any real intrigue. Thank you to netgalley for the ARC in return for this honest review.
Yvonne Savage
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
quite a good storyline but strangely written
Paula Bradley
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic - I had to read it all at once, unputdownable :)
Tatyana Naumova
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, boring, bitch
ээээээ
Tammy
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. You could put it down and come back to it no problem but didn't want to put it down for too long.
Bernie Morris
I won this in a firstreads giveaway. Read over 24 hours. It's a psychological thriller told from both viewpoints. Excellent read.
Renita D'Silva
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark and disturbing, a fast paced, edgy psychological thriller. I enjoyed it but was a bit disappointed by the ending.
  • The Boat
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • The Affair: An enthralling story of love and passion and Hollywood glamour
  • Nearest Thing to Crazy
  • This Little Piggy
  • Dead Lovely
  • Marked (Callum Doyle, #3)
  • The Cold Cold Sea
  • No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer, #2)
  • Good Girls Don't Die (D.I. Grace Fisher, #1)
  • A Time of Myths
  • The Seventh Miss Hatfield (Seventh Miss Hatfield, #1)
  • Wicked Wives
  • Where the Devil Can't Go (Kiszka and Kershaw, #1)
  • Blamestorming: Why Conversations Go Wrong and How to Fix Them
  • No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)
  • The Spice Merchant's Wife
  • The Blackheath Séance Parlour
I worked as a TV producer for 15 years and my third novel WOMAN OF THE HOUR takes the lid off the TV industry. Behind the glossy exterior of the on-air programme there lurks backstage intrigues, scandal and huge egos in conflict; an insider's account of the private life of a TV station.
My second novel AFTER THE STORM follows an English couple who get on a small boat with two American strangers to
“kindness was such an important quality in a person, the most important quality” 0 likes