Start by marking “The Lie of You: I Will Have What Is Mine” as Want to Read:
The Lie of You: I Will Have What Is Mine

The Lie of You: I Will Have What Is Mine

Can you hide your deepest fear?

To the outside world, Kathy is the very picture of a happy and fulfilled modern woman. She has a beautiful baby boy, a clever, handsome husband and a glamorous, high-powered job.

But not everybody is fooled. Her employee, Heja, knows the truth: the cracks in Kathy's marriage, her self-doubt, her fear of failure at work. Heja is perfectly place
Published January 16th 2014 by Head of Zeus (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Lie of You, please sign up.
Emma Reece Hi Gillian i read the kindle edition, as I've said early takes a while for the book to really begin rather then give to much away, id rate it better t…moreHi Gillian i read the kindle edition, as I've said early takes a while for the book to really begin rather then give to much away, id rate it better then before i go to sleep i found that to begin with repetitive and tedious until half way in, this book makes you look around and think really who is who(less)

Start your review of The Lie of You: I Will Have What Is Mine
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Psychological Thrillers, Mysteries, Suspense
I devoured this book that I picked up from the library in a few hours, did not miss a single word and loved the journey along the way.

This suspenseful psychological thriller is very well written, the characters real and defined. We have Kathy, married to Markus, Editor of a prestigious British magazine, new baby, living the life. Then we have Heja, ex-Finnish TV Presenter, working at the same magazine as Kathy, the two ladies could not be more different, chalk and cheese.

The book switches betwe
Stephanie Karaolis
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
The psychological thriller genre is a tough one to navigate: when it’s done well (Gillian Flynn, Sophie Hannah, SJ Watson and so on), it’s great, but there’s a lot of dross out there too. The Lie of You isn’t terrible, but for me it’s a pretty poor example of the genre.

The premise is reasonable, if not entirely original. Heja is consumed with finding out as much as she can about her boss, Kathy: about her marriage, her new baby boy, her relationship with their magazine’s publisher, her confidenc
Lynsey Farmer
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book found it to be an easy read that you could leave and come back to. I enjoyed that the book was told from the two womens perspectives kathy and heja. I felt that i was shouting at how naive kathy was being at some parts and could not see what heja was up to. I took a dislike to heja straight away but by the end of the book i did feel abit of sympathy for her. Felt the two women were very good characters but I did not like Markus at all felt he was cold character. Would recomme ...more
Jamie❤Books
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
☆☆ 2 Yawning Stars☆☆

Stalking should be dangers and creepy not yawn & skim worthy. This book showed signs of goodness but the over played architect job descriptions was more boring than paint drying.

I kept reading in hopes to getting excited but my hopes were dashed page after page even after the rare glimpses of crazy
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the cover of this book, it is so simple yet it immediately captures your attention – and for me, it held my gaze and I couldn’t seem to tear my eyes away from it.

To everyone else, Kathy looks like the perfect woman – she has a beautiful baby boy, she’s married to her handsome husband and she has a successful high-powered job – and she seems happy and fulfilled. Everyone knows this. Everyone apart from Heja. Her employee Heja knows the truth, Heja knows about the cracks in Kathy
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on: http://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot....

If you knew Kathy, you would think she was a very lucky lady. She seems to have the perfect life with her high powered job in a top architectural magazine, a handsome husband and a lovely baby boy. However there is one person at her office who can see the cracks in Kathy's happy life and she wants to make these cracks show and turn Kathy's life upside down. Kathy has the one thing that Heja really wants and she will do whatever it tak
Nat
Oct 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
I didn't like what I read. The first several pages didn't capture me and Kathy's first chapter set my teeth on edge.

I don't know exactly when female authors became obsessed with breastfeeding, but almost every book I pick up from 2010 and beyond, if it features a new mother, you're going to read many details on the subject. In various books, breastfeeding has taken a perverse turn, you had a father getting an erection while watching his daughter being fed, in another book, there was constant tal
Roiben
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Despite being tagged as a 'psychological thriller' I feel like this title does so in the mildest possible sense. Personally, I found it quite mediocre and had higher expectations from a Bafta judge. The pacing is short and sweet, it's a very easy title to read and you can dip back into it without having to re-read any of the smaller former chapters. It's by no means the worst thing I've read by any stretch, it's just a bit 'meh'. It was evident early on how the story was going to play out but I ...more
Helena Fairfax
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The characters in this novel were really well-drawn, believable and memorable. The scenes depicting the office politics particularly struck a chord! I was gripped by the suspense and kept turning pages to find out how/when all would be revealed. I don't often read psychological thrillers. I like novels where the characters have a lot of depth to them, and I've found with psychological thrillers that sometimes it's more about the page-turning plot, and the characters can be one-dimensional. With ...more
LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think that this is a solid four star book. This story was told from the POV of two women and the voices are very clear. I was very impressed with Heja's voice. She is from Finland and the narration from her had a very distinct tone. In fact Lythell did a fantastic job of portraying the women as two very separate, different people which I find writers often have a problem with.

For the me the biggest downfall of the book was the end which seemed rather anticlimactic. You knew where things were h
Denise
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Written from dual perspectives this psychological thriller is easy to read and quite gripping. It's a page turner, I read it over two nights as I just had to find out about these two women and how their stories would turn out.
An impressive well written debut, I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Tracey Scott-Townsend
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me immersed from the first page right through to the end. The characters of Heja and Kathy were instantly defined and recognisable from the first words in their individual chapters. Heja is chilling and yet there are chinks in her ice-like character through which her vulnerability can be glimpsed. Her relationship with her father and her enduring love for Markus in particular.
Kathy's physicality (her period unexpectedly returning and when she breastfeeds her baby) makes her loveabl
Jenny in Neverland
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Firstly, I’d like to thank Becci Sharpe from Head of Zeus for sending me a lovely and unexpected copy of this book. It’s set to be published in paperback on 16th January 2014 but is already out in Kindle format under the title ‘I Will Have What Is Mine’. This book is based around the lives of two very different women – Kathy and Heja. To the outside world, Kathy looks like she has the perfect life. She is the editor of a very successful architectural magazine, has a beautiful baby boy and a hand ...more
Annabel
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all, I loved the physical, aesthetic quality of this book - it just made me want to read it straight away, as it made me think that the novel was something 'different'.

I didn't love the opening couple of chapters, as it felt a bit 'chick-lit', which I wasn't expecting. But this works to introduce the fundamental characters, then the emotional drama takes pace and I was gripped.

The characters were pretty strong, but the plot was very strong; clues and mysterious elements were cleverly hi
Derrian
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Psychological thrillers are probably my favourite genre of novel,and whilst this book used the popular 'woman scorned' theme,it was still very enjoyable and I read it in two sittings.

My main criticism about this book is the characters and lack of depth about them,as well as the way they interacted with each other. Kathy and Marcus acted out more like work colleagues than husband and wife,and Markus himself was not a believable character,even with cultural differences.

What I liked about the book
Aiesha
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
Overall a good read, well written. Leaves you emotionally wanting for characters in the novel. Great depiction of the classic European headcase and kinda leaves you wondering about the elusive feeling of love. The interdependence between characters is sometimes astonishing. It really reinforces that life isn't fair.
Laura Elisabeth
I loved this book, it was so dark and gritty. We follow two main characters journeys throughout the book, flipping from one to the other. It is a great read and would appeal to fans of gone girl type books.

I will be looking out for more books by this author!
Nic
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Extremely disappointing given the reviews. I just wasn't gripped or engaged with the characters or the story. I felt it lacked any real intrigue. Thank you to netgalley for the ARC in return for this honest review.
Bernie Morris
I won this in a firstreads giveaway. Read over 24 hours. It's a psychological thriller told from both viewpoints. Excellent read.
Renita D'Silva
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark and disturbing, a fast paced, edgy psychological thriller. I enjoyed it but was a bit disappointed by the ending.
Yvonne Savage
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
quite a good storyline but strangely written
Tammy
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. You could put it down and come back to it no problem but didn't want to put it down for too long.
Paula Bradley
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic - I had to read it all at once, unputdownable :)
Cleopatra  Pullen
An intriguing story of psychological suspense rather than a thriller The Lie of You dives beneath the surface of the reason why Heja is obsessed with the minutia of Kathy’s life.

Kathy has recently returned to the workplace following the birth of her son and Heja is watching and waiting for her it would seem. Heja is efficient and a former darling of Finland’s TV it is a mystery as to why she has ended up in a junior role on a magazine. Heja’s own portrayal of the situation is done well. This is
Annie
I decided to make this book my next Audible listen after reading a tweet that it had been picked up to by the Lifetime Movies channel and made into A Working Mom's Nightmare.

It's really well-written and delivers two fascinating female protagonists, Kathy and Heja. Both are extremely successful - Kathy is the editor of an architectural journal for which Heja comes to work, leaving a job as a TV news anchor in Finland to do so.

We soon find out that Heja is, in fact, the ex-partner of Kathy's husb
Samantha
As psychological thrillers go this wasn’t the best I’ve read not the worse. Centred around three main characters this is a somewhat tragic tale about love, loss, obsession and jealousy.

Told through two viewpoints, Kathy married to Marcus is a first time new mum juggling a pressurised job at a magazine and new baby who doesn’t really know her husband of two years either. Insecurities at the start mean the foundation of her marriage are not secure and knowing nothing about Marcus and his refusal t
Ameerah
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, literally dumped all my work load today to finish Jane Lythell's 'The Lie of You: I will have what is mine' - it had a snowball effect on me. The characterisation is brilliant. You will have empathy for both women: Heja and Kathy. Being a psychological novel with such an intense storyline, you will find this book unputdownable! It's a story of two protagonists. From the start you have a clear picture of their persona, but as you start to read further their personality is gradually peeled aw ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Impressive debut novel from an author that I have started to really enjoy in her newer books. I loved seeing the two different view points Kathy and Heja. Kathy seemingly has a perfect life, yet Heja seems to have a massive grudge. Heja is a very intense character, and felt slightly creepy with it. Due to seeing both view points I knew what was going on at all times, but some of the explanations were very interesting and there is some great explanation for why Heja acts as she does. The
Rebecca Garnett Haris
This is a dual narrative story about Heja and Kathy. Kathy has something Heja wants and goes to great lengths to obtain it. I loved the different narrative voices, Heja, cold and analytical. Kathy, emotional, wearing her heart on her sleeve. I was emotionally connected to Kathy by her second chapter and felt like I was saying goodbye to a dear friend! The pacing was excellent and the plot moved rapidly whilst not giving too much away too soon. A satisfying read which left me thinking about the b ...more
Lisa
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enthralling

This is a dark, very well-written book. Lythell is a skilled writer with a wide-ranging imagination. She understands how to wield language and has a fine vocabulary, understands grammar and builds tension adeptly. Fine editing, very few typos. I highly recommend this book and suggest that we keep this author in mind.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Weekend Away
  • The Silence
  • The Princesses of Iowa
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before We Met
  • The Nothing Man
  • The Child Who Never Was: A psychological thriller with a twist you won't see coming
  • Juvie
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Trip
  • How to Live: A User’s Guide
  • The Hit List
  • Manage Your Money like a F*cking Grownup: The Best Money Advice You Never Got
  • Ghosts of Harvard
I live by the sea in Brighton, East Sussex, UK.

My debut novel THE LIE OF YOU has been translated into seven languages and will be released as a feature film later this year starring Tuppence Middleton, Lydia Wilson, Rupert Graves and Luke Roberts.
My two psychological thrillers THE LIE OF YOU and AFTER THE STORM were published in 2014 and 2015 and were USA Today bestsellers.

My next, WOMAN OF THE