Start by marking “Resistance (The Frontiers Saga, #9)” as Want to Read:
Resistance (The Frontiers Saga, #9)

Resistance

(The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) #9)

Episode nine of The Frontiers Saga...

A chance to gain much needed resources…
A group of highly trained, merciless soldiers…
A half-completed ship on a trajectory to nowhere…
A lone operative on familiar yet dangerous ground…

Captain Scott and the crew of the Aurora have a chance to get everything they need to liberate their home world, but they may have to fight someone
Published October 18th 2013 by Ryk Brown

To ask other readers questions about Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resistance

Start your review of Resistance (The Frontiers Saga, #9)
Jean
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is book nine in the Frontier Saga. I have enjoyed the series so far. I like to read new authors and sometimes like with Ryk Brown, I find a winner.

The last book ended in a cliff hanger. In this book, Brown covers some of the subplots from the prior books and covers each in this book. Brown covers what is happening on the Aurora and the Celestia. At the end of the last book, Lt. Commander Jessica Nash had completed a free fall entry to Earth and now we follow her exploits. The Celestia is an
Jennie
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic installment in this series! It's interesting watching the story morph from one or two plot lines, to several that run concurrently because the original team has been split up some. Not too much to add that I haven't already said in previous reviews, although it is nice to get back to see what's been happening on Earth.
Nick
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not entirely sure how Ryk Brown does it. Nine books into a series. Many, many pages. Yet, the content is fresh. However, the constant perspective switches confuse me and I wonder when we're seeing the next and how it all ties together... This was a huge confusion part of Celestia and thus far Resistance cleans this up, making the many threads loose tie up.
JP
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
After Celestia CV-02, I was worried that the Aurora and her crew would take the backseat for the rest of the series. Luckily, from Resistance, this appears to not be the case. We still do get a wider selection of points of view--on the Aurora, the Celestia, on the Jung controlled world Tanna, and even back on Earth--but the Aurora is once again the core of the story.

Things are really moving along now, with various space battles and intrigue. I do appreciate the focus on the Aurora, but the
Clayton Falter
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story telling still good

Overall plot and character development continue to be very good. But the continuity issues with interstellar distance (science) continue to mount. Its now pretty standard for the front half of initiating events or communications to be observed by the ship from light years away (as if a satellite FTL enabled phone call) but then have emphasis on the jump drive being necessary to cross the distance. Basically the strategic movements and covert logistics issues for observing
Michael
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
To start, this book is #9 in the series - it's not a standalone novel, and you will be lost if you just pick up and try to read this one. If you enjoy a good space opera / saga, you need to start with Ep.#1 - "Aurora: CV-01" (The Frontiers Saga).

The author picks up right where he left off, the series is pretty good, but I did find this episode seemed to drag a bit here and there while we went through the dialogue and scenes of the never ending search for fuel for the Aurora - the first half was
Will Hudson
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mr. Brown returned mostly to the crew of the Aurora and I enjoyed this next episode of their ongoing adventures much more. It's not that I minded the addition of new characters from the last book. I understood that. But I have grown to Love Nathan, Vlad, Jessica, Cameron, and all the rest. Some of the action in this one seemed a little rushed, but that is ok. It's more a matter of suspension of disbelief then anything else, and he added reasons that the Aurora was able to do what she did in such ...more
David
John (JP)
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Resistance (The Frontiers Saga, #9) covers the Aurora's return to Earth and their initial attempts to make contact with Earth's resistance to Jung occupation. This the beginning of the liberation of Earth. This is an intense book with battles in space and on the Earth. This is good series which I recommend that you get from your local library.
Hakan Jackson
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm going threw these books really quick now. My wife is telling me I'm addicted. 9 books in and these series keeps everything interesting. It also keeps things gruesome, no over glorification of war in these books. It keeps me concerned about the characters I like, and hoping they survive.
David Syzdek
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Change of pace; great read

Another, hard-to-put-down romp through the universe with some exposition on what happened on Earth and to key characters there. A riveting tale that was very enjoyable!
Louise Pass
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Space opera advances

The adventure continues, of course more explosions, intricate battle plans, individual acts of bravery, and intrigue enough for anyone. Read this series, you will enjoy it.
Kyle
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Another in between story in the series. I enjoyed the story just not as much as some of the others. This book seemed to jump around in the narrative way more than the previous books which I did not enjoy. Either way I am completely hooked on the series and can't stop reading.
Peter Sidell
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The saga goes on

It was somewhat more predictable. A thing together of loose ends. Still exciting and the characters are getting more interesting.
Leta Kajut
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riviting stories

I have enjoyed the whole series. Can’t put the books down. Enjoy the characters and their interplay. A must read for sci fi fans
Bryce Carr
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good series with very well written characters. Very much enjoyed the whole series start to finish.
William M Vance
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story and surprising ending
Shelly Singhal
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking up the pace

This one was the best so far. The only thing I don't like is the use of the term propellant without actually saying what it is. I wish they'd describe it better.
Patrick
Aug 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

The self justification of the villain who betrays earth is scary. Seeing the writer thinking that it was necessary to excuse the villain was scarier. I wonder if the collaboration agent was a midlevel foreman instead of a billionaire, would we have gotten the character's self-justification.

That was the only good takeaway from this book. Why read it, then? I keep thinking that the writer has to either get better or do something better with the story. I also feel The strong urge to
Per Gunnar
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is another good book in The Frontiers Saga. This book series currently stands at 9 instalments and apart from the 7th I have liked all of them quite a lot. Not even the 7th was really bad but not really as good as the other ones. At least not in my eyes. On Goodreads I gave this book 4 stars. I would quite like to be able to give half stars on Goodreads in which case it would have gotten 4 1/2.

I really do like to follow the adventures of Captain Scott and his crew. The author have created a
Christine
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Frontier Saga is Rocking my reading world!

I chose this saga with a bit of hesitation as it is so difficult to mentally go through the motions of trying out a new author- only to realise that I chose wrong. That is not the case here.
Brown has managed to do what many authors can't do, refuse to do or would rather not try- Brown is throwing out these amazing, loveable and tough characters and giving them life in my imagination! I especially like how he wrote the Celestia book/episode, as he
John
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(First, my apologies for repeating my review from book #1 of the Frontier Series. I hope everyone understands that that review pretty much covers how I feel about the entire series of books ... so far.)

I have been reading Science Fiction since I was a kid. That would put my serious SF addiction starting in the late 1960's. Some of my first experiences were stories by Sir Author C. Clark, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, and fantasy writer J.R.R. Tolkien. I have read so many science fiction and
Don Viecelli
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All
From My Newsletter Number 51:

This review is on Resistance from The Frontiers Saga Episode 9 by Ryk Brown. It is part of a continuing series of ebooks that have been very entertaining from the beginning. I anxiously await each new release with high expectations.

Episode 9 begins with Captain Nathan Scott worried if Lieutenant Commander Nash’s space jump to contact the underground resistance on Earth was successful. It was an exceedingly dangerous jump. Another concern is the UES Aurora is nearly
Mike Nemeth
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ryk Brown just gets better as his Frontiers Saga continues. This episode, Resistance, finds Captain Nathan Scott back at Earth but facing occupation by the formidable Jung. Brown's characters continue to evolve and mature. The captain started out as a punk, spoiled by a rich and powerful father and placed in a role on an experimental ship that even he thought may have been politically motivated. He was irritating and abrasive. Through the adventures that started with a chance encounter with the ...more
Ed Tinkertoy
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Saga continues and the reading is good. I was surprised how quickly I read this book; could not put it down!!!! In this book we learn what is happening on Earth, on Tenna the planets that was visited in the last book, and also what the Celestia is doing. Thus, the book needs some place indicators separating the paragraph breaks that come when the scene shifts. That would be much better than simply putting in a larger paragraph break with stars. And this may become more critical when in ...more
_
I really enjoyed the new character introductions in this episode of the Frontiers Saga. You get some back-story, but a lot of build-up to new things to come. You get to see Nash in spec-ops mode, but it does feel a bit rushed. You get to find out what the Sardaukar....I mean the Ghatazak, can do. All-in-all, its a good book. It's not anywhere near the 'awesome' range, but if you've read the series to this point, you know that Ryk Brown is into the details without making it boring, and this is ...more
Damon
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid addition to the series

Like the previous books Resistance is full of military action and strategy told in a suspenseful way. However this time around I felt the divisions of chapters into smaller portions from varying characters points of view became somewhat choppy. I enjoy listening to the audible version of most books, and the reader of this series is very good, but I think I would skip over whole paragraphs describing military sequences such as jump countdowns and flight procedures if
Kathryn Joy
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure-sci-fi
The adventure continues - I'm enjoying every page.

I've noted something interesting: physical descriptions (attractiveness, hair color, etc) are rarely included in character development - this allows the reader freedom to imagine what each individual looks like.
Bobb
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, it's really, really good!

I haven't written many reviews about the books I have read, but this series is so enjoyable. Ryk has the casts personalities so well developed it's leaving me wanting an HBO series.

Will Wheaton, here ya go!
Nathan Jent
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Named characters theory #1

I have begun concocting a theory...
If the Jung were to somehow convince the author to speak their names then their chances of survival and winning the war would increase drastically.

• Imperium Defiant (Light of Terra, #3)
  • TFS Ingenuity (The Terran Fleet Command Saga, #1)
  • Destroyer (Expansion Wars Trilogy, #3)
  • New Frontiers (Expansion Wars Trilogy, #1)
  • The Others (Blood on the Stars, #13)
  • It Ain't Over... (Cole & Srexx Book 1)
  • Haven Ascendant (Cole & Srexx Book 3)
  • Alien Assassin (Human Chronicles, #2)
  • Duel in the Dark (Blood on the Stars, #1)
  • The War of Pawns (The Human Chronicles, #3)
  • Armor World (Undying Mercenaries, #11)
  • Fear the Reaper (Last Reaper #2)
  • Reconnaissance in Force (Empire of Bones Saga, #6)
  • The Last Stand (Blood on the Stars Book 14)
  • Battleground (Black Fleet Saga 7)  (Unification War Trilogy, #1)
  • Conquest (Star Force, #4)
  • TFS Theseus (The Terran Fleet Command Saga, #2)
  • Storm World (Undying Mercenaries #10)
Born in 1960 and raised on an overdose of television, NASA, and science fiction, Ryk Brown has worked as a cook, rock guitarist, stage lighting technician, and paramedic. He currently resides in Northern California with his wife, daughter, and cat. By day he fixes computers, and by night he creates stories.
Having spent his entire life "thinking stuff up", the advent of digital publishing has

The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Aurora: CV-01 (The Frontiers Saga #1)
  • The Rings of Haven (The Frontiers Saga #2)
  • The Legend of Corinair (The Frontiers Saga #3)
  • Freedom's Dawn (The Frontiers Saga #4)
  • Rise of the Corinari (The Frontiers Saga, #5)
  • Head of the Dragon (The Frontiers Saga, #6)
  • The Expanse (The Frontiers Saga #7)
  • Celestia CV-02 (The Frontiers Saga #8)
  • Liberation (The Frontiers Saga, #10)
  • Born of the Ashes (The Frontiers Saga, #11)