Start by marking “Tilting at Windmills: A Novel of Cervantes and the Errant Knight” as Want to Read:
Tilting at Windmills: A Novel of Cervantes and the Errant Knight

Tilting at Windmills: A Novel of Cervantes and the Errant Knight

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  25 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In seventeenth-century Valladolid, Spain’s new capital, Miguel Cervantes is busy writing episodes of his comic masterpiece, Don Quixote. His comedy is quickly making him the most popular author in the country, when three potential disasters strike: Cervantes discovers that there is a real Don Quixote, exactly like the character he thought he’d invented; a jealous poet’s pl ...more
Published March 28th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Tilting at Windmills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tilting at Windmills

Ron Charles
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How much more time do you need? This year marks the 400th anniversary of "Don Quixote," and you still haven't read it. Harold Bloom is shaking his hoary head: "Where shall wisdom be found, indeed!" And don't even bother trying to hum "The Impossible Dream." A few diverting hours with "Man of La Mancha" are no substitute for working through 1,000 pages of the world's first novel.

But nagging guilt is a poor motivator for reading (or you'd have finished Ron Chernow's "Hamilton" by now). So here's s
Patrick
This is an inventive and well-written homage to that pillar of Western literature, "Don Quixote." Julian Branston's premise is that the famous knight errant actually exists. He has great fun with the political implications of poetry in seventeenth-century Spain, and the story takes on shades of "Amadeus" when he makes a Cervantian rival the villain of the plot.

I looked in vain for the “foul-mouthed Iberian babes” singled out by a reviewer from Britain’s Guardian newspaper. While a pair of beaut
Nikki
This took me oddly long to read. It's quite dense. It wasn't quite as full of hijinks as I'd expected, really, given that the summary is that Don Quixote was a real character who Cervantes met and who got involved in his life. But it's enjoyable, in any case. Cervantes as characterised here is likeable and fun. Ongorra is comically villainous. And the old Knight is quite batty and yet also noble, particularly in light of his back story. Cervantes' family made me laugh a little, though they're so ...more
Pieter
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book.
Abigailann (Abigail)

Full of wit, easy to read and yet retaining a high-brow aire, 'The Eternal Quest' was a book which I enjoyed more and more with each turn of the page. Having never read Don Quixote, I don't know how much of its interest came from the original tale, but it certainly held echoes of a romantic and chivalrous era.
Marvin
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming, amusing book. The main character is Miguel Cervantes at the time he was writing & publishing serially Don Quixote. A mad old soldier much like Quixote is another character in what is really a parallel story. The book, an homage to Cervantes & Don Quixote, addresses many of the same issues as the original, but still manages to be delightfully original itself.
Martin18
Aug 26, 2009 marked it as to-read
So here's something to
tempt you toward this intimidating classic of Spanish literature:
a debut novel called Tilting At Windmills that reimagines Miguel
Cervantes and Don Quixote as friends in a beguiling blend of biography
and fiction.
Melanie
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really deserved 3 stars....but I really enjoyed it so I gave it 4. It's not a great book, but it's cute, smart, funny and well written. It made me laugh and I enjoyed getting to know the different characters.
Dspisso
Jan 08, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I just started this book and am enjoying it. It is Don Quixote told from an observer's point of view--the man who publishes the installments by Cervantes. Quixote is delightful.
Kristine
As a huge fan of Cervantes, I had my doubts about this one. But I enjoyed it and found it entertaining. It is worth reading just to see Cervantes meet his knight errant.
Ann
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful world of imaginative interpretation. Slow to get started but worth it in the end. A great view of early 17th century Spanish life. This one's a keeper.
Deb
Aug 27, 2009 marked it as to-read
Having seen both the musical "Man of La Mancha" (Linfield College) and "Don Quixote" (Oregon Shakespeare Festival) in the past year, this sounds interesting.
Viola
Jun 10, 2017
Adam Burton
Jul 23, 2008
Connie
rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2009