Jump to ratings and reviews

Stitched Up: The Anti-Capitalist Book of Fashion

"Stitched Up" delves into the alluring world of fashion to reveal what is behind the clothes we wear. Moving between Karl Lagerfeld and Karl Marx, the book explores consumerism, class and advertising to reveal the interests which benefit from exploitation.

264 pages, Paperback

First published January 2, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tansy E. Hoskins

3 books61 followers
The Anti-Capitalist Book Of Fashion is out now.

This is a book about fashion and capitalism, destruction and resistance, billionaires, workers and revolution. Above all it is a book that reveals fashion as a performance of deeper social issues.

What started as an update of Stitched Up escalated when I found I couldn't stop writing. The book ended up being about 60% new text. I see it as the same skeleton with brand new flesh on its bones.

There is a lot of new material in the text, covering so many of the things that have happened in the past decade - social media & communicative capitalism, influencers and digital activism, the rise of slash fashion brands, and Covid to name just a few.

I also got to interview and collaborate with some exceptionally talented and interesting people. I seriously love the Foreword by Andreja Pejić. She is a fiery revolutionary as well as an actress & supermodel so it is a dream come true. I am also really pleased to have worked with Indigenous Fashion scholar Riley Kucheran who is a brilliant and inspiring thinker.

You can also check out my book 'Foot Work – What Your Shoes Are Doing To The World,' an exposé of the dark origins of the shoes on our feet. [The paperback launched March 2022!]

My first book 'Stitched Up' was selected by Emma Watson for her ‘Ultimate Book List’ with Emma saying “By the end of the book, she makes a strong case for nothing less than a revolution.”

In between books, I work as a journalist. This work has taken me to Bangladesh, Kenya, Macedonia, and the Topshop warehouses in Solihull. She also lecturers across Europe on the politics of the fashion industry.

I can also be found reading awesome Sci-fi, Fantasy, and Speculative Fiction literature.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
14 (3%)
1 star
7 (1%)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.