Start by marking “Five Trucks” as Want to Read:
Five Trucks

Five Trucks

Trucks of different shapes and sizes share one important purpose in this classic picture book from the bestselling creator of Moonshot and Locomotive.

You have hurried

Where are they going?

Five drivers
for five trucks—
each has a job to do.

They hurry to be on time.

And then
they see you!

Origin
Published June 10th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published March 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Five Trucks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Trucks

Robin
Dec 18, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
A sure fire hit for transportation/truck enthusiasts (you know who they are!)

Five trucks at an airport . . . make it possible for one airplane to take off.

Text counts up to five, describing each truck, then counts backward. As it counts down, a small label at the bottom of the page notes what kind of truck it is, which is great for children who love to name things.

Text is short enough and pictures large enough to make it great for preschool storytime sharing.

(originally published in 1999)
Karin
May 06, 2016 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple story that highlights 5 different vehicles used at airports.
Cassie
Oct 17, 2016 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a great book when discussing trucks and different types. May be better to just have in the classroom as a book the students can read on there own. I wouldn't read this to the class as a whole.
David
Jul 09, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five Trucks by Brian Floca looks at five trucks whose drivers are first introduced, then each truck and its function is described. Readers soon realize that all are used at an airport, working to get passenger airplanes ready for takeoff.

Readers and listeners get more details about the workings of an airport as the five trucks and their drivers do their jobs. The five trucks are the push out tractor, the tractor for the mechanic, the baggage conveyor, the baggage cart tractor, and the catering
Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 11, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
Brian Floca brings a new view of the workings of an airport by focusing on five trucks that play a role in preparing a passenger plane for takeoff. The catering truck, tractor with baggage carts, baggage conveyor, tractor, and push-out tractor are introduced first by the kind of movement they perform, then given their names and depicted carrying out their job.

The illustrations are really the appeal of this book. Floca's drawings are characterized by simple lines, but they have more detail than B
Alexander Goos
Five trucks by Brian Floca is a simple children's book discussing various trucks involved at an airport. At first glance because the title is not shown on my copy of the book, The cover is of a plane so one would think that this is a story about planes but in reality it is a story about trucks. But it is all about trucks and what they look like, how they work and what they do!

I liked it because this story showed the different tasks that each truck does and various characteristics about them. Thi
Nicole Marzan
Five Trucks by Brian Floca is a very simple story about five different trucks and the different purposes they serve. The story also shows the different drivers of the trucks. All these trucks work together at an airport and are responsible for an airplane. Without the work of these trucks, the airplane would not have a successful takeoff.

The book does a good job at showing the different types of trucks at the airport and the tasks that they do in order for a plane to be able to takeoff. The ill
Erin Buhr
Jul 25, 2014 Erin Buhr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FIVE TRUCKS is the story of the trucks that prepare the airplane for take off. It describes how they pack on the luggage, load the food, check the wheels, and move the airplane into position. We are huge Brian Floca fans. Locomotive and Lightship are two of our all time favorite books. Floca is a master at taking beloved transportation themes and finding unique approaches for presenting them. His brief text and beautiful illustrations make these the perfect reads for young children. They entice ...more
Gail Gauthier
Oct 23, 2015 Gail Gauthier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Five Trucks by Brian Floca involves, yeah, five trucks. "The first truck is large and heavy." There's your sentence for the first two-page spread. "The second truck is small and quick" is on the second. This appears to be a traditional truck book that just lists things about...trucks. However, all these trucks can be found at the same place--airports. The point, and the book does have one, is that all these trucks are necessary to support airplanes. The text doesn't come right out and tell us t ...more
Mike
May 21, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With an incredible eye for detail and gorgeous watercolors, author and illustrator Brian Floca really delivers with Five Trucks. From push out-tractors to baggage conveyors, this book reveals a lot of the hidden infrastructure of the airport. In addition to showing and naming five different trucks, this book has a nice framing story of a little boy taking a trip with his Papa and does an excellent job of showing diversity among the airport workers.

As an added bonus, there are subtle rewards in t
Becky B
Mar 25, 2015 Becky B rated it really liked it
Five very special trucks get ready and then do their jobs at the airport.

Readers who don't frequent airports quite as much as I do (which is a lot, since I live overseas) may not recognize these trucks as readily and can try to guess what each truck is used for. A very unique vehicle book, as these are vehicles with super specialized purposes. The text is very simple and short, perfect for young readers who are just learning their numbers and like things that go.
Mary
Jun 25, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Brian Floca for writing a truck book that isn't about construction equipment! Geez, those are a dime a dozen. This book takes a brief look at 5 trucks that are used at airports. So, it's great for kids obsessed with trucks and those interested in the workings of an airport. And it doesn't end with the obligatory playground that has just been built by all of those ubiquitous construction trucks.
Cemeread
In this picture book children learn about the trucks used to get an airplane ready for take off at an airport. Using ordinal numbers the story describes each truck, tells what it is used for and names it. With only one large print sentence or less per page this is perfect for young children. The ink line and watercolor illustrations include women drivers and a man of color. Boys will probably like this one.
Michele Knott
I think young boys will love reading this simple text about 5 workers and the trucks they drive at the airport. Within the quick sentences, readers learn the name of the truck and the purpose it has getting the plane ready for takeoff! I love looking at Floca's illustrations. There is something so eye appealing to all of them.
Sandra Guerfi
Jun 10, 2014 Sandra Guerfi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a good book for children that are interested in airports and planes as well. It's a behind the scenes look at how five different trucks help to get planes ready to fly. From slow to fast, big to little, and up and down, this is a book that really lets you get the kids involved with hand gestures to mimic the story. Kids loved this one.
Magila
3.5

This was a nice short book on the trucks that make the airport work. I didn't find the book groundbreaking, or a must have, but children who are touched by airports will especially enjoy this. I can think of my nephew whose dad frequently travels, or children of pilots who would enjoy this book. It's cute with simple illustrations.

Borrow it from the library first.
Drew Graham
Jan 30, 2017 Drew Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Five trucks do their various duties with one common goal...

Trucks of all kinds are popular at our house, and this book features some that are pretty uncommon and interesting. It's fun to see how they all work together toward the surprise (more or less) ending and the illustrations are detailed enough to be authentic but stylized enough to be appealing.
Lynn
Oct 08, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific on so many levels! Nice concept book about a piece of airport operations, GREAT illustrations of trucks with excellent textual choices and some wonderful funny subtle touches. Watch for the plaid suitcase and the squashed box marked fragile ;-)
Jun 30, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, preschool, 2014
Lovely! Five trucks have important, unique jobs that help an airplane get ready for take off. I like the structure and parallelism in this seemingly simple picture book about 5 trucks. Recommended for preschool.
Martha
Apr 12, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alice, Librariansteph, Marti, Elissa, Nadine, Jeannie
Trucks have never looked so colorful and attractive in picture books before. This is a perfect title to read to a young child before a visit to the airport. They will study the preparation of an airplane flight with eyes focused on those 5 trucks.
Robin
Sep 24, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When an airport worker is shown with what looks like a Dunkin Donuts cup in his hand, what's not to like about this book? The trucks are all at the airport. The text is simple and clear. Can't imagine the kids won't be excited about this book!
Meredith
Mar 30, 2016 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I always feel like this book has a surprise ending-psych! It's really about airplanes! The kids enjoyed the different truck pictures (the tiny truck seemed very popular), and they liked it at the end when the plane took off.
Jambush
Nov 21, 2011 Jambush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect book for our young son - especially before going to the airport and flying on a plane. We could read this one over and over because there was so much to look at, point out, and talk about. A fun book!
Heather Dent
This is by far my 3 year old son's favorite book from 2014. We've traveled by plane quite of few times this past year he is fascinated by the loading process so it came as no surprise to me when he fell in love with this book.
T Crockett
This is popular with the 3 yr old boys I know. The girls will sit through it, but I never see them choose it for story time. I like that it's a break from the usual fire truck, police car, dump truck subject matter. The illustrations have some fun details.
Kristi Mcduffie
Jul 19, 2015 Kristi Mcduffie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You had me at "trucks," and I also love the mystery of finding out that the trucks are servicing an airplane. The large-print type makes the book feel like it's for younger readers, but the content is also for older kids who can understand that airplanes need lots of preparation.
Pam P
Apr 06, 2014 Pam P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Various trucks that help an airplane take-off are shared with simple text and watercolor illustrations.
Kelly
Jan 10, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I like how the numbers go up and back down and the words move with the pictures. The pictures are detailed and realistic looking and have different characteristics for the different people.
Jessica
Simple but informative. Great for reading before or during a plane trip.
Lauren
Jul 08, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great drawings of vehicles and planes.
  • My Bus
  • Night Light
  • Supertruck
  • Trucks Roll!
  • The Thingamabob
  • The Construction Crew
  • Go! Go! Go! Stop!
  • Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors (with audio recording)
  • Flight 1-2-3
  • Digger Man
  • Red Truck
  • I Love Trains!
  • I See Kitty
  • Big Bug
  • Digger Dog
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Eggs, 1, 2, 3: Who Will The Babies Be?
  • The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors
Brian Floca is the author-illustrator of the Caldecott Medal winner Locomotive, the Robert F. Sibert Honor books Moonshot and Lightship, and other picture books, and is the illustrator of many more books for young readers. Brian Floca lives and works in Brooklyn.
More about Brian Floca...