Start by marking “My Explosive Diary” as Want to Read:
My Explosive Diary

My Explosive Diary

(Eliza Boom's Diary #1)

Meet Eliza Boom—assistant inventor, junior spy, and full-on fantastic—as she tells all in this first book of a chapter book series packed with jokes, doodles, and dear-diary secrets!

Eliza Boom is having a blast. Her father is an inventor who makes gadgets for spies, and Eliza is his unofficial assistant…very unofficial.

Eliza knows if she can just build that one indispensa
Published July 15th 2014 by Aladdin (first published February 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about My Explosive Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Explosive Diary

Start your review of My Explosive Diary
Katie Fitzgerald
Eliza Boom really wants to develop the perfect invention so she can impress her spy / inventor dad and get back at Zoe, the mean girl in her class. After such failed inventions as The Magno-Glove, A Star in a Jar, and The Grabber, she teams up with the class outcast, Mayo-Amy (so named after her mother uses mayonnaise to wash lice from her hair) to save the day in a surprising way.

This heavily illustrated beginning chapter book was originally published in the UK in February, and will be publishe
Mehsi
A decent book, but at times a bit too fast paced for me.
I _teach_muggles
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliza Boom’s Diary: My Explosive Adventure is like Tom Gates and Diary of a Wimpy Kid but pitched for younger readers. It is niche in that it is all about a young girl and her passion for science and all things spy-related and it makes for a very enjoyable read.

Eliza loves spending time in her bedroom. This is because her bedroom isn’t a typical bedroom at all, it is her lab where she invents all sorts of things. Her latest inventions include a spy-cam dog collar, ultra-heated hair rollers and a
Samantha Meiser
SPOILER ALERT!!
Eliza Booms, By Emily Gale, Realistic Fiction.
My favorite part about this book is; Eliza tries to get rid of her friends lice by mixing items she found in her pantry.I recomend this boo to 5-12 year olds because it brings a sence of humor into their lives.
I rate this book a 4.5 out of 5 because, I wish this book had a teen and adult version so I can read this again when I'm older and still think it's just as funny.
Jade
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I've gotta say that this book was very impressive."

6yo's first "chapter" book.
PWRL
Oct 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
SM
Julianne Negri
Hooray for Emily Gale! Eliza Boom has it all.
Well rounded non-stereotypical female characters? TICK!
Hilarious details and asides? TICK!
Action + adventure + mystery + drama? TICK!
Unconventional family with a step parent (hooray!) who is neither overly nice NOR evil? Tick!
A writing style that is interesting for kids (diary form! Brilliant!) ? TICK!

Un-patronising and authentic kid’s voice? TICK!!!

Finally I have found a terrific series of books for my seven year old twins – and for me. Even my hus
Heidi
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I can't say that I really loved this book, but I can see young middle graders enjoying the silliness, especially if they aren't quite ready for Dork Diaries or Ellie McDoodle. The numerous illustrations are vital to the story making this a graphic novel in my book. And graphic novels are really popular these days.

I did like some things about the book, the fact that Eliza is an inventor, for example. We need more books with girls doing science and math related activities. Eliza's persistence in i
Capcaibakar
I love children book. Jadi kalau ga suka cerita anak-anak ya buku ini boleh dilewatkan.

Dibeli untuk Jendral Kancil yang sedang dilatih membaca buku bahasa inggris dan membaca buku yang tulisannya lebih banyak ketimbang gambarnya. Dibeli karena lagi diskon di periplus. Diskon ini yang paling penting sepertinya.

Jendral Kancil mampu menyelesaikan buku ini sekali duduk. Berarti bukunya bagus dan tulisannya tidak terlalu banyak. Ia bahkan meminta edisi berikutnya, yang untungnya lagi diskon juga di
Kristine Hansen
Eliza likes to make things go BOOM!...ok, not really. It's more that things go Boom! a lot around her.

Spy fun, interesting parents, and some surprises along the way made this book a whole lot of fun. I'll definitely want to read more of this series. This is the book I wish I had when I was first starting out to read because it's just plain fun, proving that easy to read doesn't have to mean short on story.

Sarah Hay
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: j
Eliza Boom is an inventor, just like her father who works on undercover spy projects. When his top secret information goes missing, Eliza realizes that she is at fault for the loss and starts working on inventions to get the info back.
First book in a series about Eliza Boom. Will appeal to reluctant readers as the diary format has many of different fonts, text sizes, and drawings on almost every page.
Renee Mihulka
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute little book for young girls. I think it would be a good book to read to your kids when they are growing out of picture books or for them to read themselves when they are moving on from more simple, repetitive texts. The pictures are very good and plentiful which kids will really like. Not sure it needed the diary form though, but I guess it is all the rage at the moment.
Carol
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Eliza's inventions are generally well-intentioned, yet rarely successful. She desires to be inventor assistant to her father. Little does she know that her father (and mother) are much more than what she thinks. The mix of text and lots of illustrations and diagrams make this a perfect intermediate book for boys and girls.
Jen
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Eliza Boom isn’t just an average kid. She is also an inventor’s assistant and a SPY. Well, at least she hopes to be. With her inventions usually on the fritz, she is eager to make one that finally works. When her dad loses a VERY important, VERY secret object, Eliza steps up to retrieve it… especially since she may have been the person to put it in an evil-doer’s hands.
Bookslut
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iris
Great book. I'd recommend to anybody with girls who are my girls' age. Eager to see the sequel.
Elizabeth
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Of course I have to like any girl inventor named Eliza. Cute, but perhaps a little too light.
Amber Johnson
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kind of like Franny K, but not quite as good.
Justine Laismith
This is a book that showcases girls can do anything.
Kelly
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very funny, quick read. My 5&9 year olds loved it! ...more
Becky
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-review
What a fun read! Wish I had this book when I was six. It's fab.
Lynn Christiansen
Apr 24, 2014
Jay
rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2020
Matea
Oct 04, 2019
Becky B
Eliza Boom is an inventor. Her assistant is Einstein her dog. And she's really hoping that her 100th try will yield some good results. Her inventor dad has told her it takes 99 failures before you succeed. Well, she's currently somewhere around #93 to blow up so she's gotta be getting close...right? It becomes even more important to find the right invention when she thinks it will get her into popular but mean girl Zoe's party, and then it becomes imperative when she realizes her bow on Zoe's gi ...more
Natalie
Feb 23, 2015
Chelsea Oaks
Jul 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly, #1)
  • The Princess in Black Takes a Vacation (The Princess in Black #4)
  • Midnight on the Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare (The Princess in Black #6)
  • The Princess in Black and the Mysterious Playdate (The Princess in Black #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Happy Paws (Layla and the Bots #1)
  • Armadillo and Hare
  • Squishy McFluff: Meets Mad Nana Dot (Squishy McFluff, #3)
  • Atlas of Ocean Adventures: A Collection of Natural Wonders, Marine Marvels and Undersea Antics from Across the Globe
  • The Nothing to See Here Hotel
  • Yahoo Creek, An Australian Mystery
  • Greta and the Giants
  • Stitch Head (Stitch Head #1)
  • Alex Sparrow and the Really Big Stink
  • Portrait of an Artist: Frida Kahlo: Discover the Artist Behind the Masterpieces
  • Plantopedia
  • The Barnabus Project
Emily Gale is a book-nerd who has worked in the children’s & YA book industry for nearly twenty years. In London she worked as an editor for Penguin and Egmont, and later as a freelance manuscript consultant and pre-school book writer. In Melbourne she's worked with literary agent Sheila Drummond, finding new children’s and YA authors; she has reviewed for Bookseller and Publisher, been a judge in ...more

Eliza Boom's Diary (2 books)
  • My Super-Spy Diary