Start by marking “Rainbow Briefs” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Briefs

Read Book

Rainbow Briefs

Have you ever looked at a picture, perhaps a photo of two guys in a tight hug, or two girls holding hands, and wondered, What happened before that moment? What will they do next?

Published November 2nd 2013 by Smashwords Edition (first published October 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Briefs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow Briefs

Start your review of Rainbow Briefs
Kaje Harper
Oct 26, 2013 added it
Shelves: my-ya
Most of these 15 stories have appeared on the YA LGBT Books group over the last two years, although I edited them for this collection. There are also three additional new stories in here - about an added 15K words or so. This collection comes out on Nov 2nd, as either a free read, or where not possible, with author royalties donated to The Trevor Project.
Sara Winters
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Just about everyone
Shelves: holy-hell-good, m-m
I'm not going to pretend there isn't some bias in this review. A few months ago, the author told me she'd been toying with the idea of doing this collection and I gleefully nudged her in the right direction until she said yes. Since April, she has completed an amazing assortment of stories covering all aspects of the beautiful GLBT rainbow and I couldn't be more proud to have been a part of producing this amazing work. That said, I hope everyone takes the time to download this book and ...more
Chris, the Dalek King
It seemed like an odd thing for me to do, to willingly pick up an anthology of Young Adult LGBTQ stories. I generally steer clear of most young adult books, I’m usually reticent about reading short stories–especially from unknown authors–and it is not very often I stray off the strictly m/m path. To pick up a book that includes all three, well, it is not something I would normally do. Except, I have a bit of a thing for Kira Harp (at least in her other authorial incarnation) and didn’t want to ...more
Elci
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Omg. These were awesome, heart breaking, uplifting, funny and just downright fab. I wonder if Kira would consider making some into novels because I want to know what happens next.
Ro
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews

This collection of short (sometimes super short) stories encompasses young adult themes. I am a big fan of both short stories and young adult, so I had high hopes. I was not disappointed.

Each story begins with a photo prompt description. The stories are a mix, m/m, f/f, transgender, contemporary, fantasy paranormal, it runs the gamut. Some stories (such as Tomorrow) are very short, just a scene in the life of. Others are longer. While I liked something about
Victoria Zagar
These fifteen stories were inspired by images from the Young Adult LGBT Books Group. In these pages you'll find LGBTQ teenagers living their lives - experiencing first encounters and long relationships, coming out, staying closeted, questioning, loving, having adventures, dealing with family, with prejudice, with magic.

Rainbow Briefs was hands-down my favorite anthology read of 2013. The quality and variety of these shorts is amazing considering this book is free. I especially liked that this
Sally
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Somehow, in my switch between e-readers and email accounts, its seems a handful of titles got lost, so I'm happy to have found both the books themselves and an opportunity to share them with you!

Rainbow Briefs is a lovely YA LGBT anthology edited by Sara Winters. These are stories taken from the Goodreads Young Adult LGBT Books Group, with each based on a picture prompt shared with the group. Although comprised of about 15 stories, there are 2 in particular of interest to readers such as myself.
Juli
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Juli by: Colin Scala
I'm going to start by saying that the four star rating is mostly about the format (Short stories) than the content. It just doesn't allow me to fully connect with the characters, so the book doesn't transcend to more than a nice book I'll probably not re read.
It was still very enjoyable, though, with a wide array of characters and sexual orientations that is refreshing in a m/m dominated LGBTQA+ YA genre. Plus, the stories have touches of supernatural themes that keep it interesting and stray it
Tailtiu
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free, anthology
Kaje Harper wrote some really good LGBTQ stories and they are free
Ana
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a beautiful book. I’d read it for a challenge and I couldn’t be happier with the result, I just loved it.

A common element among all of the stories told here was the amazing characters. I don’t think there was one story that wasn’t able to create great empathy for the MC on it. I don’t usually read YA books, but it seems like when I do, I really choose the best ones.

It was my first book from the author, but I’m very sure it won’t be the last. I liked all the stories, but there were
Alexandra Robertson
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was so cute. I am normally not a fan of short story collections, but these were really well done. They were funny and moving and so sweet. I started making a list of all the stories I wanted to be made into full length books, but the list got to long. I will have to read the next one soon.
Jerry
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
I read this for the Rainbow Awards.
A very nice collection of shorts. Quite a few are average, several are above average and two were a 10 on my scale.

Individual stories and my scale on each:

Future, Imperfect 10
Oblivious 9
Tomorrow 7 too short
Designing Sam 10 wow, this was my first trans story. I think it is helping me understand somewhat.
Working 10, very cute despite being short
Coming Back 8. Interesting that this was longer than Working but not as satisfying.
Behind Door Number Two 7
Blind
Cathy Brockman
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Review Written for http://mmgoodbookreviews.wordpress.com/
I usually do individual reviews on anthologies but this was a short stories connection and I felt like I could not properly review each story without spoilers so I decided to just do an overall review.
I thought this was a very sweet collection of stories about the LGBT youth and community. There is something for everyone.
If you like short stories, LGBT young adult, coming out, dealing with life issues and many more conflicts this is for
Melissa F.
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, heartwarming collection of stories. I wish I'd had access to something like this when I was a teenager. I'm so, so glad it's available to teens now.

There's something for everyone here...gay, lesbian, bi, trans, and even a few other surprises along the way. Added to that, the stories range from contemporary to fantasy, and you really never know what you're going to get. They're fun to read, and almost all of them left me with a warm, happy glow in my heart. I cannot recommend
Zeoanne
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! All I read is M/M and when I saw there were F/F and M/F stories I was skeptical and fear continue reading. How wrong I was! This entire books is a joy to read! So many stories, fifteen in all, with so many wonderful characters. I laughed as well as shed tears for these teens. It's a wonderful book worth reading. And yeah, as many have said, there's a story for every single one of you out there. Give it a try!
Fritz42
I put off reading this book,and for the life of me, I don't know why. The short stories in this book cover the gambit, from m/m, f/f, transgender, bi and m/m/m. All of them are handled with loving care snd compassion. My awareness and understanding had benefited from the reading.
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
This is a collection of shorts compiled by the author of YA stories featuring every mix of LGBTQIA character.
Elisa Rolle
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
2014 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Emmy
Jan 25, 2020
Liz
Aug 16, 2018
Alex I
rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2015
Nov 13, 2013
Geri
Nov 01, 2013

• Fence, Vol. 1
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
I've been writing since I could put words together. Early stories were about dolls and horses and kids who surmounted the odds and came home with a kitten. Gradually I learned about punctuation and point-of-view and my characters grew up. But real life came along, with forays into psychology and teaching and then a biomedical career and children. Writing happened in my head, for my own amusement, ...more