Start by marking “Ghost of a Chance (A Chintz 'N China Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Chance (A Chintz 'N China Mystery, #1)

Ghost of a Chance

(Chintz 'n China Mystery #1)

Emerald O'Brien, single mother of two, owns Chintz 'N China Tea Room, where guests are served a blend of tea and tarot reading. She never set out to be a detective but once word gets out that she can communicate with the dead, there's no turning back....

It was a ghost. There, at the foot of Emerald's bed. A pen hovered above a piece of paper and scrawled these alarming wor
Published August 5th 2003 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost of a Chance

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Meh, hopefully I enjoy the future books more since I bought the first five at once.

I like the paranormal aspect - the protagonist is already familiar and comfortable with her abilities. She has a successful tea shop in a small town, which isn't as interesting as you'd think - she mainly sells china pieces and sets, but it's fun to see her randomly drink tea throughout the book, make it an important ritual with what pieces she chooses for the tea, but besides that it's in the background.

I think m
Emily
May 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed, mystery, series
I can't decide if I enjoy this or not. This is mostly because the book is full of contradictions, almost like the author couldn't make up her mind about anything. Such as:

The main character, Emerald, keeps saying she wishes she knew more about how to deal with ghosts, but she hasn't bothered to read through her grandmother's diary that's essentially a how-to guide.

Her children are the most important thing in the world to her ("Take care of my babies!") but she spends the whole book yelling at th
Sherri Bryant
Feb 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Story couldn't hold my attention. The diaglogue seemed too over the top for the story and didn't hold relevance to the plot. I mean, really, when you have a ghost of a murdered woman showing up in your house with an evil spirit tagging along, who gives a flying crap about decorating a Christmas tree????
Lisa Kay
[image error]

★★★★☆ I liked this one quite a bit, but maybe that is because I’ve always wanted to own a tea shop. And live in a small town. Or perhaps I rated this higher than other readers because I didn’t buy it but borrowed it from the library. I also like a little romance with my mystery, so this was just my cuppa tea (forgive the pun). Told in the first person POV, divorcée Emerald, and her two children, are likable characters. (Perchance too likeable for some?) So are her friends. There are
Dez Nemec
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
I must be weird. I can deal with the ghost, the tarot readings, the seance, but I have to draw the line when her son became possessed by the evil entity. (No spoiler, this happened in the first 50 or so pages.) After that, I couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

Sorry to say this was a DNF, and I'm not interested in continuing this series.
Michelle Gilmore
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal cozy mysteries
It took me a little while to get into this book. I even thought about putting it on hold, and picking it up at a later date. I'm glad I stuck with it, because the story was well worth it. I loved the fact that the heroine- Emerald O'brien was an almost 40 yr old, single mother of 2 children, who owned her own business. Sometimes its nice to read about a heroine who's a little more mature. I like the setting that Galenorn created too. I think fans of paranormal cozy mysteries would really enjoy t ...more
Aileene
I kept going back to this book and trying to finish it. I never made it. I didn't quite connect with the main character and the plot/story never managed to pull me in or make me care one way or another.

I am rather surprised by my dislike of this book and inability to fully finish it. For one thing I like her sisters of the otherworld series and its rare for me to find a book that I don't finish, no matter how much I dislike it.

It may just be, that cozy mysteries aren't for me.

--Aileene
Lyndi W.
Nov 15, 2016 marked it as d-n-f
I don't care enough to keep reading.
Denise Zendel
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
7. ****Ghost of a Chance (Chintz n’ China No 1) by Yasmin Galenorn

Emerald O'Brien is the owner of the Chintz 'n China Tea Room, located in Chiqetaw, WA. She’s a recently-divorced mom to two brilliant adolescents, the “town witch,” and a reluctant detective. She can see dead people, and those who died unsettled come to her for help. She’s aided in the cause by her two bffs, a recovering anorexic former super model, and a Cherokee deputy sheriff. A ghost asks her for help in solving a murder, and
Regina K. Himes
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excited to find her Fiction!

Many years ago, while still hunting down "book-learning" in the Craft, I ran across a couple of Yasmine Galenorn's non-fiction books being published when I was still digging around for different viewpoints (101 books were - and are - smothering the market), and I found hers to be fresh, more meaningful and wider reaching to my, by then, somewhat starved for new information mind. I especially loved some of her "recipes"; oh my, the luscious scents she can evoke with he
Deanna
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, mystery
Emerald O'Brien is a single divorced mother of two who run a China and tea shop and also does tarot card readings. One night she is awakened by Susan Mitchell's ghost and asked to help prove that she was murdered by her husband. At the same time, Susan's family comes under attack from an evil spirit leaving her at a loss of how to identify the spirit, explain his fixation on her family, or even begin to figure out how to banish him. Stacked all that on top of normal life and a busy holiday seaso ...more
Sharon
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The protagonist of this book uses her witchy skills to solve two murders. For my taste that was enough for one book, however she also must repair a spell gone wrong, complete recovery from her divorce and do a few other things as well - too much for one book - otherwise, I did enjoy it.
Stephanie Hickman
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this mystery. A combination of murder and paranormal.....perfect. It was also an easy read. I would like to read more.
Nicola
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
*spoilers*
Since finally finished this book I have been trying to write a review for it for a few weeks with the question ‘Did I really not like it that much?’ at the forefront of my mind. The story features Emerald O’Brien, the owner of a china tea shop and town witch, who is also a single mother to two children Kip and Miranda. The story starts off with her being visited by the ghost of Susan Mitchell who asks her to help prove that her husband had murdered her, the following day Susan pays ano
C.
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I’m aware Yasmine Galenorn has numerous witch fans and I enjoy that fare too. Spirits and natural abilities are my top subject. When I encountered this ghost and medium series, I became excited to collect “Ghost Of A Chance” and its sequels in their entirety. This review will seem odd because it isn’t high but I feel certain of becoming a fan. I think it wise to cut a break for first volumes. I’ll explain what missed the mark for me, in concert with what I look forward to.

We delve inside covers
nimrodiel
It took me a little bit to get into this. I usually love ghost stories, cozy mysteries, and romance which are all elements of this story. I thought that even with the chaotic events at the start of the book that it still started slowly.

It ended up being a hook me into the light mystery and I found myself walking out the door 5 minutes late r than planned so that I could finish the book before class this morning. I definitely did not expect the murderer to be whom it is, this was a surprise.

I'm g
Barbara ★
I liked this though I didn't love it. I liked Emerald O'Brien and her two kids, Miranda and Kipling. I even liked her best friend Harlow Rainmark. I did not, however, like the overly detailed running of the china shop or the placement of her many cats. It took quite a while to get into the story and a lot of superfluous elements were injected that distracted from the story. Emerald's sudden romance with Andrew was strange and seemed rushed and rather forced. I just didn't feel the connection bet ...more
Cina
Jul 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Oh dear. I had high hopes that this would be a fun book, but alas. The main character is a single mom with 2 kids, and the plot looked interesting from the cover. However, I had trouble with the writing style in that there was no segue way into introducing new characters, they just immediately appeared without the reader developing any sort of feel for the character. I guess the author felt they were disposable, in that we didn't need to get to know them. That set the tone for the rest of the bo ...more
Nancy
Apr 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this story. I found the protagonist kind of stupid. What on earth would possibly make you tell someone you just met you see ghosts. I skimmed some of this and then couldn't finish. Emerald (I hated her name, it's a jewel not a person) seem to argue a lot, with her kids and her boyfriend. I just didn't like her.
Mai Ling
Oh, cheesy summer fun, with witches and ghosts, and also romance and family time thrown in for reality's sake! I gotta love it! Christina, thought of you the whole way through this book. It's a must read for you! Writing is far from excellent, but the plot is certainly fun and it takes place near Seattle to boot! Thanks for letting me borrow it, Erin.
Ivy
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Liked the introduction of Emerald, Kip, and Miranda. Glad that Emerald has friends to lean on. Also glad that she was able to solve Susan's murder. Good that she found Andrew. Hope her tea shop will prosper.

Can't wait to read Legend of the Jade Dragon!!!!
Deborah
Oct 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book started out ok, but then it got lame, predictable and all out stupid.
I should have just not finished it, but hoped it would get better. It didn't.
I won't waste my time with this series again.
Sara
Aug 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Parts were written as if she felt she had to include them and couldn't find a great way to do it, so they were just shoehorned in.
Either go forward with it, making the book longer, or skip it altogether.
Lisa Elizabeth
I couldn't finish this. Hate to leave a book unfinished, but it was just so unpalatable. And the love interest came off as creepy.
Elizabeth Drake
Slow, Boring. Too much talk about logistics (who was taking care if the kids, who was minding the shop, where the cats were). Skimmed the last 100 pages and that still took too long.
Pumpkinpuddy
Meh
Xyra
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though this is set before Christmas, a great read for around Halloween. Chock full of spirits (good and evil), magic, mystery, angst.

The angst is not just settled on the teen daughter. The main character, Emerald, holds on to quite a bit of her own, so does her best friend, Harlowe; and Emerald's suitor, Andrew. I have a weird feeling about Andrew. He just does not sit well with me and I'm not sure why. There for a brief moment I thought he might turn out to be the culprit.

The main characte
Will
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story, but not very well written

I've read a few books where the protagonist talks to spirits, and I have to say this one was disappointing. I agree with other reviewers who have mentioned they found the main character's appeal to the opposite sex unrealistic. What bothered me the most about the book, though, was the way the writer never introduced characters. Here is an excerpt:

Here, it was still safe to leave the car unlocked when I ran into a shop. Kids in Chiqetaw didn’t disappear
Amy Samin
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Since there is no “stopped reading” option, I marked that I am finished with this book. I got 63% of the way through this book and just couldn’t force myself to finish it.

The ghost in this book didn’t say or do much of anything up to the 63% mark, except ask for help. What’s the point of having a ghost appear but not communicate with the main character?

The romance in the story goes into more detail than I enjoy reading these days.

The main character’s best friend is annoyingly indecisive.

The main
Manogna
The main character, owns a tea shop and is also a tarot reader. She knows and has grown learning about ghosts and stuff from the other end at a very young age from her nanna. One day, ghost named Susan visits her and tells her that she has been murdered by her husband. Now she has to unfold the mystery behind the death of Susan and in the journey encounters various challenges and discovers shocking facts. The writing style of the book is quite beautiful and is more on the detail-oriented side. T ...more
The Ultimate ABC ...: Ghost of a Chance by Yasmine Galenorn 1 2 Mar 14, 2012 05:51AM

• The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)
  • The Remains of the Dead (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #1)
  • Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1)
  • Don of the Dead (Pepper Martin, #1)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
  • The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery, #1)
  • Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)
  • Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)
  • A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1)
  • Brimstone Kiss (Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
  • A Timely Vision (A Missing Pieces Mystery, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • If Walls Could Talk (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #1)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • Haunting Jordan (Port Chatham Mystery #1)
NOTE: I SELDOM visit Goodreads and do very little here. Please see my website for more information on my work: https://galenorn.com

New York Times, Publishers Weekly, and USA Today bestselling author Yasmine Galenorn writes urban fantasy and paranormal romance, and is the author of over sixty books & numerous series, including the Wild Hunt Series, the Fury Unbound Series, the Otherworld Serie

Chintz 'n China Mystery (6 books)
  • Legend of the Jade Dragon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Under a Mystic Moon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #3)
  • A Harvest of Bones (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #4)
  • One Hex of a Wedding (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #5)
  • Holiday Spirits (Chintz 'n China Book 6)