Start by marking “Darkness Awakened (Darkness, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkness Awakened (Darkness, #1)

Darkness Awakened

(Darkness #1)

Years ago he ended things between them to protect her…

As leader of one of the fiercest werewolf packs in the south, Finn Stavros is in full battle mode 24/7. He has no choice—he’s one of the few beings strong enough to fight the Akkadian demons, whose mysterious escape from hell threatens the entire world. With the battle turning bloodier by the second, Finn is ready for a
Published November 3rd 2013 by Katie Reus

Start your review of Darkness Awakened (Darkness, #1)
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4 - 4-5 Stars... Review later...

Ummmm, how the hell have I never heard of this series before?

description

If this doesn't have my name all over, I don't know what does.

Dropping everything to tackle this.
Sophia Triad
That was a nice surprise!
Sometimes I like to experiment. Well, I did not know anything about the story when I jumped in the book and I did not expect much. BUT a lot I got…

There are three main themes in this book.
1. The paranormal aspect. There is a little bit of almost every paranormal creature: Wolves, vampires, demons, hybrids (i.e. half demons-half humans and half wolves-half vampires), ghouls, even a dragon.
2. The forbidden love aspect. An Alpha wolf (Finn Stavros) and a vampire of a royal
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

Vampires and werewolves were natural born enemies.
They didn't sleep together, much less fall in love.
Until he and Lyra had.

Note: Read the blurb, seriously if you read the blurb you'll understand why I'm not going to tell you what this book is about. Otherwise what would be the point of you reading it?

Characters:
Lyra: A female vampire of royal lineage. Finn's love interest. Was involved in a forbidden love affair with Finn 17 years ago, until he cast her aside. Kicked out of her coven b
Jilly
Oh, I'm on a one-star rating roll tonight! I'm naming names. I'm taking no prisoners. I've sat in a hospital room for two fucking days and was made to suffer by only having crap books that made me homicidal. This is one of them.

So, it's a forbidden romance of a vampire and werewolf. Yawn. They were together when they were younger but he pushed her away to protect her. Yawn. She had his child and never told him. (Not a spoiler). Now, the kid's been kidnapped and she goes to him for help. But, oh
Giorgia ~ Reads

Underwhelming. Skimmed a lot.
Ashley S.
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The synopsis promises too much. I expected Lyra and Finn to strategize and battle throughout the book to prevent a horde of demons from ravaging the human world while searching for their daughter. But by the end of Darkness Awakened, we only get to find out whether Lyra and Finn are able to retrieve their daughter and whether hell is (literally) unleashed on the world. I was also disappointed by the hollow romance when I expected a second-chance romance; there was zero depth in Lyra and Finn's r ...more
Deborah
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read 22nd - 23rd May 2019

I enjoyed it just as much the second time.

4.5*

Why have I waited so long to read this series?
I mean seriously this book has been sitting on my kindle for ages.

I’m late to this party and there’s tons of reviews already. Plus I’m moving straight onto the next book with no time to waste. So I’m skipping my usual summary and just briefly giving my opinion.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked all the characters (especially Finn). The females are strong and intelligent (alway
CC
I am having a hard time with this rating. I liked all the elements of the story. And I liked the characters. But something was missing. I am not sure what. Maybe it was not steamy enough. But I am not sure that is it. So I am copping out with a 3.5 stars.

Anywho, I loved Finn. I really loved Lyra. I am intrigued by the next book because the Dragon is already so growly over his mate.

safety gang (view spoiler)
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Finn is the Alpha of his pack. He's a wolf shifter and he is one of the strongest Alpha's around. Lyra is a born vampire that is not only rare, but also from a royal blood line. Finn and Lyra had a short fling 17 years prior and are reunited again when Lyra's daughter is kidnapped.

I'm not the biggest fan of second chance but the reason Finn broke it off with Lyra was something I could stand behind and understand. It also helped learning that as soon as the reason for their separation was over,
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Nothing super new in pnr, but not bad. A very quick read and I think others in the series might be better. 2.5 stars. I'm rounding up because there was a dragon in this and it wasn't a lame dragon. That's worth something these days. ...more
Lisa Kay
★★★★½ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Wonderfully narrated by Jeffrey Kafer! His voice added to the story.

Story-line of this novella had a big impact. Tons of romance and action. Unlike me, you might not adore the “secret baby” theme, but not to worry; this one is well done. And filled with mythic characters! Such as werewolves, vamps, a rare hybrid shifter, demons and .... a dragon. There is a dark, forgotten prophecy and a race against time.

Well done.
Claire Robinson
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
4 - Their affair had been short, intense, and completely forbidden. Stars!

I am gradually building a list of authors who write PNR, the way I want to read it. Katie Reus added herself to that list with Darkness Awakened. I like my PNR to be about the story and its characters, and not so much about the logistics of how they got to be who they are, or why they can do what they do. I accept that they are different, I enjoy what they do and I don’t need a breakdown of how it came to pass.

This book d
Bev
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Shape shifter/vampire romance? Yes please!! Loved it, Finn is such a swoonworthy alpha male without being an alpha-hole. Paired with a strong, take-no-crap h in Lyra and you have a fabulous couple.

First time read of this author and it won't be my last, I 1-clicked the next book in the series before I had even finished this. The next book is set up nicely in this one ..... Dragon and wolf shifters, yum!

4.5 fab stars
Cyndi
I enjoyed this! Finn and Lyra were both great. I loved Vega, Victoria, and Drake!
Dee
I did enjoy this and thought it a very good start to a new series.....I just wish it had been a bit longer to allow for character building and a bit more romance!
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Werewolves, vampires, and dragons...oh my.

They are all serious hot and yummy. Finn and Lyra have a past. Finn let her go, ruthlessly, for a good reason, but didn't know she was pregnant when he did. Lyra went home to her family, didn't let her stay. Fast forward 16 years, and they meet again to save their daughter. Their love for each other hasn't changed, and while fighting to save Vega it is rekindled.

Lots of werewolves, dragons, and vampires to get HEAs.
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this series out of order but I loved Finn and Lyra. Am in love with KR’s group of bad ass supernaturals 💖

100% Safe

Will be back to write a real review soon! Happy New Years everyone!!
Rhea_Sways
It looks like a charming series, passes the basic line and doesn't really annoy. Yup I have high expectations It feels like the knockoff series Psy/Changeling from Nalini Singh. I am enjoying the angst, the characters nor the plot points seem to be developed beyond the basics but it is a good time pass. I liked the h, not too whiny.. ...more
Lover of Romance
The story begins with seeing Finn fighting some bad demons, and we see a certain bond he has with one of his closest friends and protector. We see the fun bantering and quick-witted humor between these two and the level of friendship they have. Then when Lyra enters Finn’s life again, he has no clue that he has a 17-year-old daughter. He doesn’t suspect a thing, but Lyra gets a bit devious and changes the age of her daughter so he doesn’t suspect. Now this is a “secret baby” themed trope, but th ...more
Sophia
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr-uf
A reunion romance paranormal style seemed all kinds of good so I picked this one up and dove right in. Literally, it turned out because this one was off to the races from the very first moment and didn't slow down for much. The plot, characters and backdrop were introduced quickly and action and passion were the driving features of this story. It was a nice change-up from all the character driven pieces that I've read lately.

I had a good time with the story and definitely want more, but there wa
Laurie
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, paid
Wow! What an awesome beginning to a paranormal series. This has magic, demons, wolves, vampires, and even a freaking dragon. We just need a fae or two to round things out, but who knows, they may show up in later books. Darkness Awakened is loaded with suspense, angst, and action and it was so sexy I think my windows steamed up. It even had a second chance romance with a secret child in it and there was a damned good reason for the secret. Heck yes!

Finn is a wolf, Lyra is a vampire. Years ago th
Kira
Nothing about this stands out from other PNR novels. It wasn't bad but I was hoping for more. There weren't any big surprises. Finn and Lyra had been in love for years although they had been separated for a long time. He had broken up with her to protect her. She was heartbroken and didn't tell him she was pregnant with his child. 16 years later the daughter was kidnapped, and Lyra turned to Finn to help find her since she had no one else to rely on. Of course she wasn't honest and didn't reveal ...more
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews

Sizzling Pages @ Facebook

Twitter:@Sizzlingpages

Copy Provided by Netgalley

Wow this is just what I needed today. The one thing I love about paranormal romance is that it's got tons of suspense and romance and not nearly as much of the angst and relationship drama.

Finn and Lyra were just so amazing. Two powerful creatures, of two vastly different species
Wolves and Vampires just usually don't mix
Finn is the Alpha in Biloxi and Lyra has come to him after 17 years apa
TJ
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5.0

This was actually a really good, quick paranormal story! Even with the shorter length, the author was able to incorporate all the elements that make a story great. There wasn’t enough page time to allow for a lot of depth but what there was was handled very well. And, the plot and suspense were excellently done. Overall, it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary but was still a very enjoyable escape. I have only one complaint...

Would someone please, PAHLEASE tell me that IF a man I was despe
Stacie
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow!! I loved it! Great start to a PNR series. Wolf, dragon, and various other shifters, vampires, hybrids, demons, fantastic. Two very likeable main characters. Family hanging in the balance. I love a second chance at love story. I'm sure I read the next one very soon. Happy reading!!

PS. Even though I like this book cover, I don't think it goes with the book at all. Just my opinion :) not that it matters.
Bindi Boo
3.5 stars !
An intense, forbidden second- chance romance between a vampire and werewolf shifter with some action and suspense.
I thought this book was a little too short for a paranormal read, but i enjoyed it nonetheless.

Mei
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
A short, but satisfying beginning of the series, with passionately forbidden liaison between a werewolf and a vampire!

• Taming the Alpha (Crescent Moon, #1)
  • The Blood King (Inferno Rising, #2)
  • The Rogue King (Inferno Rising, #1)
  • When He’s Dark  (The Olympus Pride #1)
  • Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)
  • Ares (Guardians of Hades, #1)
  • Omega Mine (Alpha and Omega, #1)
  • Heart of Stone (Bad Things, #5)
  • In Still Darkness (Immortal Guardians, #3.5)
  • Claiming His Mate (Crescent Moon, #2)
  • Shadows (Dark in You, #5)
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
  • Omens (Dark in You, #6)
  • Tempting His Mate (Crescent Moon, #3)
  • Blaze (Dark in You, #2)
  • Harboring His Mate: Taron & Onyx (Protected by the Pack #1)
  • Ashes (Dark in You, #3)
  • Claimed (Dark Protectors, #2)
Katie Reus is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Red Stone Security series, the Redemption Harbor series and the Deadly Ops series. She fell in love with romance at a young age thanks to books she pilfered from her mom's stash. Years later she loves reading romance almost as much as she loves writing it. However, she didn't always know she wanted to be a writer. After chang ...more

Darkness (9 books)
  • Taste of Darkness (Darkness, #2)
  • Beyond the Darkness (Darkness, #3)
  • Hunted by Darkness (Darkness, #4)
  • Into the Darkness (Darkness, #5)
  • Saved by Darkness (Darkness, #6)
  • Guardian of Darkness (Darkness, #7)
  • Sentinel of Darkness (Darkness, #8)
  • Darkness Rising (Darkness, #9)