Start by marking “Fallen Souls” as Want to Read:
Fallen Souls

Fallen Souls

(Realm of the Claimed 0.5)

Ash never thought going to a party could be dangerous. He certainly never thought it would change his life. But when a man with red eyes begins following him – and his sister – he realizes he was wrong. Soon they’re running, leading the man on a desperate chase over icy roads.

When Ash crashes his car, nearly killing his sister, the red-eyed man offers Ash a choice – save h
Published April 8th 2014 by Glass House Press

Molly Mortensen
There are Two Short Stories in this Novella, Condemned and Fallen.

Condemned stars a teenage boy and his sister. It's about a deal with a demon. I don't want to say more, because the synopsis details to whole short story.

I hate to harp on the whole show don't tell thing, but the start of this novella is a case where everything is told and it really isn't as good. It feels like reading a story instead of being in one.

There were also a couple of little info dumps that could've been handed better.
B. Eagles
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a new twist on the classic angel vs. demon, good vs. evil concepts
Recommended to B. by: Carrie White
*** I received a pre-release copy to review.

Generally, I am not an avid fan of the Christian mythology genre, by which, I mean the plight of angels vs. demons, heaven and hell, etc. I'm more of an old world person, myself. This book worked its way into my 'to read' line-up because of who gave it to me... and I am glad it did.

Please don't let my use of the word 'Christian' give you the wrong impression of the book's content. It is not a religious tome, in fact I don't remember any references to
Carrie White
Holy long wait, Batman! I feel like I've been waiting for this novella for YEARS, and wow did it make the wait worthwhile. The novella is actually made up of two short stories -- one for each of Linda's main characters -- and it's the perfect format. We get to see how Ash got into the mess he's in, and how Kali got into HER predicament, which is ... well, perfect. Linda has an incredibly beautiful writing style, and puts you right into her world, for better or worse.

Worse, usually, considering
Tash McAdam
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These novellas have a lyrical certainty that pulls you from one sentence to the next. The rhythm of the story is undeniable, speeding you up and slowing you down with decisively chosen words and phrases that force you to experience every moment.

Condemned-
Ash's choice is easily identifiable and understandable, but nevertheless had me almost shouting at the screen in dismay. I kept hoping the Winchester brothers would turn up to tell him what a terrible plan deals with the devil are! Really keen
P.T. McHugh
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I have been waiting a long time for this story, I'm happy to say that the novella was worth the wait. Linda's story is exceptional, highly entertaining, my daughter and I cannot wait for the novel to come out! A must read!
Mary Fan
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: Linda Foster and I share a publisher, and I received an early copy of this novella for an honest review. The below represent no one's opinions but my own.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, let the gushing begin!

Fallen Souls comprises two short stories: Condemnation and Fallen, which set the stage for Linda Foster's "Realm of the Claimed" series. Condemnation reveals how Ash, a good-hearted teenage boy, found himself face-to-face with a wrenching decision: sell his soul to
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This didn't excite me as much as I had hoped it would, I got it to have a quick taste of this series, this being a short novella. This is what I call a pretty average read, lukewarm. Not terrible, but not fantastic either.

William Herr
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adult readers
Fair Disclosure: I recieved shorts of this book, prior to release.

Fallen Souls is, as the title suggests, about more than one character. The novella, a prequel to an upcoming series, follows two main characters as they struggle through a classic tale of good v/s evil. As this novella comprises two related, but non-contiguous stories, I am limited as to how much I can say about the plot.

The plot is, at its heart, apocryphal, but with fresh life breathed into it. The mythology is adapted from reco
George Ebey
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed me from page one and kept me turning until the very end. Do I want more? You bet.

It is essentially two stories rolled into one volume. The first introduces us to Ash, a good-natured teen who finds himself in a predicament you won’t soon forget. The second introduces us to Kali, a righteous angel who is embroiled in a titanic struggle between Heaven and Hell.

Combined, these stories set up a rich world that I can’t wait to visit again. A great start to what I anticipate to be an
Ezgi Tülü
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Yorum: http://athenaninguncesi.blogspot.com....

Öncelikle söylemeliyim ki, bu kitabın bir parçası olduğu serinin, yani Realm of the Claimed'in ilk kitabını okumadım. Şimdi siz neden okumadığın serinin "novella"sını okuyorsun diye sormadan önce nasıl bir fail yaşadığımı anlatayım: Canımın sıkıldığı bir gün NetGalley'e girdim ve ilginç duran, kapağını da beğendiğim birkaç kitaba başvuruda bulundum; sonra bu kitaptan kabul geldi ve Goodreads'te "now-reading" olarak sınıflandırmak için adını arattığı
Julia
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an ARC for an honest review.
I loved it, I've read good vs. evil/Angele vs. Demon book but this takes good vs. evil and makes it awesome. Ash is the over protective big brother, Grace is beautiful as she is smart but she troughs caution to the wind at times, being Ash's only sister she assumes her little bro is being dramatic in his over protectiveness. In the blink of an eye everything can change , and does.
Kali, she is an angle among monsters. Brave, loyal and loving she wi
Ula
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I have always enjoyed the GHP books and novellas and I gladly picked this one up as well. I knew it must be about angels and the opposite side as well, but not much else. I decided to let myself be surprised. I did like the sound of the synopsis, a lot like Supernatural's latest seasons, a show I love.
The setting was pretty typical for YA books - a party, interrupted. It read like a horror movie or some teen drama off TV. Something sinister coming for the main hero, an offer of life-for-life. It
Marinka
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This short novella is a prequel to an upcoming series. The novella contains two short stories about the main characters & I have a feeling that they will meet sometime in the book.

Basically we have a YA story, based between good and evil. I think everyone can kind of relate to the story about what choices are right/wrong? And it makes a great point, that we don't think about
consequences before it's to late.

The story itself wasn't bad but I wished it would be more detailed. I also kind of
Fiona Leung
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review)

This novella is comprised of 2 short stories, Condemned and Fallen.

Condemned is about a boy who had to make a life-changing choice which could destroy himself and those around him, and Fallen is about the uprisings of Angels who wanted to take over Heaven.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and couldn't turn the pages quick enough! I also love the writing style which keeps the readers wanting more and the characters are also very l
Cloud Riser
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this short story a whole lot more than I do most angel vs. demon stories. Why? Because the motive of the demon is one that actually, finally, makes sense to me. The emotions are real and far more than simple greed based. I can feel their pain and frustration with their purpose in life, and it actually makes me empathize with them.

The second half was a lot more powerful than the first, but both were great in their own way, each bringing out different feelings as I read.

Can't wait to read
Krista
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm not one to delve into sci-fi novels/novellas easily, as it's normally hard for me to suspend my belief. That being said, I was hooked from the very first paragraph of "Fallen Souls", and fell asleep with it in my hands because I could not put it down! What an excellent imagination Ms. Foster has! I can't wait for the book to follow next Spring so I can find out what becomes of Ash and Kali!
Melissa
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Intriguing start to what is sure to be a great series. I loved the imagery and the authors way of capturing you from the start. I found myself holding my breath at the end...not sure what to expect. Can't wait to read the next installment.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via NETGALLEY.
Amelia Carter
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really really good! This one looks like the start of a new awesome series. I'll definitely be looking out for this set of books! Loved the twist at the end! Really didn't expect that and I also loved how it played on the story of how Angels fell from heaven and all that jazz. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
Gabi
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This prequel really opened my eyes on how the first book in this series is going to be. I like the two main characters a lot the only thing I was confused about was Ash's backstory. It would've made more sense if they added a few more chapters in this prequel.
Emma Star Crossed Reviews
This review was originally posted on Star Crossed Reviews
Ash never thought going to a party could be dangerous. He certainly never thought it would change his life. But when a man with red eyes begins following him - and his sister - he realizes he was wrong. Soon they're running, leading the man on a desperate chase over icy roads. When Ash crashes his car, nearly killing his sister, the red-eyed man offers Ash a choice - save his sister, but pay the highest price possible. Bring Grace back to
Demi Spencer
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
I received this novel in exchange for an honest review from netgally and romancebeat.

The first installment from the Realm of the Claimed series was a real surprise if im being honest, I was expecting to read a clique novel filled with forbidden love between a mortal girl and a male angle but this really wasn't the only case in this novel. Following Ash as his life is forever changed after going to a party and encountering the dangerous'red eyed man' and Kali as she fights to save her world whil
Heather Brown
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teen, YA
Recommended to Heather by: Netgalley
Fallen Souls is two novellas: one on Ash and one on Kali. I would never have these as stand-alones, but I suppose as mini additions to the other books, they are fine. The story with Ash and his sister was not quite as well-written as I wanted. It was a bit over the top in Ash's description of his (drunk) sister being wonderful and perfect. I really wasn't feeling it-- more action to show that idea would have been helpful. Kali's story was much better, though I would like a little more background ...more
Joseph Nicholson
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this novella? It was NOT what I expected, for starters (in a good way). Though I kind of saw the direction Ash’s story arc was taking, I believe that that was the Linda’s intention all along to set everything up. I did not expect a war brewing amongst the angelic ranks of Heaven to be used as a plot device to set up an even bigger event. That pleasantly surprised me. What this bigger event is, I don’t know, but I can’t wait to find out! I highly recommend it and look forward ...more
Kara Bianca
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was... weird. I'm not sure I really liked it, but I can't think of anything particularly wrong with it. There were a few editing errors, but the writing was passable (nothing exciting, but nothing irritating either) and the plot line was mildly interesting. I think it focused too much on the religious aspects for me. It didn't entice me enough to pick up the novel that this is the prequel to. An okay read though.
Jessica
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book as a ARC from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The concept behind this novella was intriguing, however there was nothing I liked about the writing style. It was back and forth way too much for me and didn't make a whole lot of sense. It was just pow pow pow huh?
Lanaia
Dec 05, 2014
Daniela
rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2016
Linda Foster was born and raised in Colorado, where she still lives with her (very patient) husband and four (very spoiled) ferrets. Linda became an avid reading enthusiast the moment she picked up her first book, and has grown steadily worse with time. By the time she was 15 years old, her library had become too big for her shelves, and she was forced to donate all of her books to the local schoo ...more

Realm of the Claimed (5 books)
  • Unnatural Souls