Start by marking “Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1)

Chameleon Moon

(Chameleon Moon #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  310 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
The city of Parole is burning. Like Venice slips into the sea, Parole crumbles into fire. And trapped inside is an entire population of people with bizarre, beautiful and terrifying abilities - people who really should not have them. When Regan, an anxiety-ridden hitman with the peeling skin of a lizard meets Evelyn, singer, revolutionary, and unofficial superhero, it’s up ...more
ebook, 1st Edition
Published October 9th 2014 by The Zharmae Publishing Press (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Chameleon Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chameleon Moon

Laura (bbliophile)
Review originally posted on bbliophile.wordpress.com

Excuse my language, but holy fucking shit. This book. It’s so good!!!

I started reading this book back in April, and it took me 3 months to finish. I’m not exactly sure why, but I’m glad that it took me so long. I’m happy I got to spend so much time with the characters and in this world, because I had a wonderful time.

The characters are, in my opinion, the best part of this book. They’re all so real, wonderful, and shit, there are literal tears
Shira Glassman
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of queer dystopian, anyone looking for good transfeminine representaton
The setup for Chameleon Moon is that Parole, an American city of unspecified location, has been completely cut off from the rest of the country by government blockade in order to contain the chaos that ensued when a medication started giving everyone random and in some cases uncontrollable superpowers. For reasons that I assumed were either governmental/deliberate or accidental but turn out to be more complicated (spoilers!), the city's reserve of oil has also been ignited, meaning that fires ar ...more
Mel
Review of the first edition

I haven’t read a book that wasn’t a romance or at least had a romantic story arc in quite a while and usually, to be honest, they don’t really capture me and, um, I get easily bored. But not so this time. Right from the first page I was totally sucked in by the engaging writing style of the author, by the unusual– and also diverse– cast of characters, and by the mystery that is hidden in every pore of the book. Until the end, the reader is learning and discovering, and
Wart Hill
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-review, lgbtq, fantasy
The rep in this book is exactly what I want. Casual queerness. Non binary characters, binary trans characters, gay characters. Just. Characters who HAPPEN TO BE QUEER and it's NBD. It's exactly what I want, especially in speculative fiction.

Unfortunately the book itself fell flat for me. I could not immerse myself in this world. I was bored from the start and I couldn't get into it the entire time. I don't know if it's the POV-shifting - so much head hopping - or what but as much as I wanted to
Ceillie Simkiss
MY HEART. THIS BOOK HAS STOLEN IT.
Elle Maruska
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much.

I've been attempting to read more indie books and authors, and as I follow Sylver on Twitter I thought this would be a good place to start and I'm so glad I took the chance. I love this book, I love it in so many ways that it's hard to describe. But I'll try!

I love that this book is fearless.

When you read a lot of genre (like I do) you get used to a set of tropes and borders in stories. There are certain things you know that different genres will do--whether it's SciFi
Claudie Arseneault
"What did you think?" asks Goodreads, but I am not sure I can properly put words on how much I adore this book.

CHAMELEON MOON is everything I wish dystopian and post-apocalyptic worlds were all the day. I love my settings bleak. I love it when everything went wrong, shit hit the fan big time, and the one question on everyone's mind is "how am I going to make it through?"

And I love these because of the intense, selfless acts of compassion people do in ugly times. I love to see GOOD people holdin
Jenn Basel
I bought this book within five minutes of it being recommended to me, because the premise was something I knew I needed in my life: queer superheroes. We all need queer superheroes in our lives, really, even if they only exist in the pages of books. We deserve to know that there’s hope, and that we’re not alone.

And that’s exactly what Chameleon Moon told me: there’s hope, and I’m not alone. From the first pages, I got to see people like myself: nonbinary people, asexual people, transgender peopl
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I'm going to preface this by saying that I honestly didn't mean to take this long to read it. Life got in the way. First year of college, and a lot of other personal things that I don't feel like delving into for a review.

Right when I started this, I was hooked. That prologue was amazing, and it thrust me right into the story. From there, it only slowed down a little bit after initial action had taken place, which made the pacing perfect all the way through it. There were dynamics that were expl
B.R. Sanders
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Notes on Diversity:
SO. MUCH. DIVERSITY.

The book follows a tight-knit group of erstwhile superheroes--and most of them are dealing with mental and/or physical disabilities. A number of them are clearly people of color. The main character is a trans woman, and she's basically the best!! There is am interracial queer poly family that is sweet and functional.

Diversity is firing on all cylinders here. A toast to that.

giphy

Review:
What if there was a magic cure-all drug that could fix what was wrong with yo
ButYouGotMySoul
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book is fabulous! There's not another word for it. There are a few editorial mistakes, however the story more than makes up for that. Trans and queer positive and representative, this story has something for everyone.

Compelling story, wonderful representation, and lively writing.

Here's to hoping for a sequel!
Chasia Lloyd
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read I never wanted to end. So much queer love and comfort. Now, there is a lot of pain and hurt, too, but lots of love and comfort to balance it out. There is hope in a dystopian society, a message my bruised heart needed to see.
Luce
This book has LITERALLY CHANGED MY LIFE. It's the most queer-positive book I've ever read, and I don't have words for how much I love it, and how much it helped me love myself more.
Tasha
Jul 01, 2017 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
I'm finding it very hard to get into this so I'm putting it on hold and I'll give it another try at some other time.
Eloise
This was a joy to read.

The plot was interesting and developped quite well, but the heart of this story is the characters.
They are all so loveable in their own way. All different, all flawed in some way but well rounded enough that you can't help but feel part of their family. They all love each other and want to protect each other and that is so beautiful.
It was also great to see an asexual dragon-scale-skinned guy filled with anxiety as the main character, along side a brilliant cast of polyamo
Kayla Bashe
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chameleon Moon is about a bunch of superpowered misfits trapped in a dying city. The book has an attention gripping cinematic opening, cool unique dialogue, and hella style.
For all its flaws, like the fact that it's kind of on fire from the bottom up a la that one Russian sinkhole full of gas that somebody decided to torch, the city of Parole is one of those places you'd want to visit, like Weetzie Bat's LA or Transexual Transylvania or Narnia, except with dystopian surveillance and hot chicks.
Antonius Hogebrandt
Okay, this was a really cool read.

It took me a bit to get into--the narrator is omniscient, so we follow several people throughout the novel, as everything slowly spins into one.

In the #diversitybingo2017 that I'm currently doing, I picked this for my "romance with a trans main character" square, because among the main characters we have both the trans woman Evelyn with her two wives and their lovely boy, and Zilch, an enby who's composed of dead people in … some strange way.

Apart from Evelyn a
Flavia
Nov 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, indie
1.5? The faults are mostly/all plot/pacing/character/content, the writing is fine.

50% of this book is characters giving emotional counsolling to other characters, mostly by reminding them to breath or saying 'it's going to be okay'

The other half is introducing way too many fucking characters.

Listen. Roanna is super nice, and I have nothing against her, I respect her, I respect her personality and effort. I really, really did not like this book, and it boggles me how universally loved it is.

I'm g
Polenth Blake
People with superpowers are kept in quarantine in the city of Parole. When an assassination goes wrong, Regan is left with amnesia, and it might have something to do with the larger issues of the city.

It's debatable in an ensemble cast whether anyone is a main character. I'm loosely saying they're Regan and Evelyn, as a lot of the plot and scenes revolve around their stories, even if they're from someone else's perspective. But other characters also have large roles, so it's open to interpretati
Eri
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first edition of this book when it first came out, in one day. I couldn't put it down to be frank, and now, a couple years later, I found myself reading Roanna Sylver's short story Runtime and read it again. I loved it the second time too.

Now I'm here to review the new edition, nearly a full rewrite of the original book, same plot, same characters, all new life to the story. I will say this: it is better. If you read the first edition of the book, read this one and you won't regret i
Elke
4 or 4.5 stars

This book was great! I loved the diversity, how it felt so natural and safe. I love the fact that there are literal superheroes and that most of them struggle with mental illness. That their powers didn't take that away, and that they (we) can be the heroes too. I love that even though it was heavy at times, this was ultimately positive and hopeful. How almost all characters in the book were fine with all the diversity too, almost no judging, always accepting and offering space. Ev
Gwen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ace-reads
Ever since I started an Ace Book Club, this book's name has been whispered to me. We finally got around to reading this and I loved it.

Up first - representation.

Good asexual rep. It was brief, and not super organic, but I loved seeing it and the surrounding conversation about personal labels was amazing.

We also have nonbinary rep, transgender rep, and two different poly relationships here which is super cool. Not to mention characters with physical disabilities (Rose has prosthetic legs, and th
Skye
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AAAAAHHH THIS BOOK IS AMAZING READ THIS BOOK

For real though.

There's, I think, 5 disabled characters among the important characters? At least by my definition. Oh no wait 6. Several ones anyway!

Everyone is queer. There's several poly..
couples? With several people! There's a trans woman. Two nonbinary characters. An ace character.

THERE'S NO ABLEISM. No ableist slurs, no ableist Bullshit, Zilch. When you read the book you'll understand why this was a very good pun

I love every single character.
Olivia Waite
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts with a long slow burn, and ends with a bang. Fans of N. K. Jemisin's Hundred Thousand Kingdoms will enjoy the complex site-specific worldbuilding, the balanced blend of fantasy and science. Mostly, though, this book is a cry from the heart -- it is about found families, being strong for those you love, and letting loved ones help you when you need it. Trans singer (and local superheroine) Evelyn Calliope is warm and comforting on the page: her love for her wives and her son stea ...more
TransBookReviews
5/10 stars

"[...] but as much as I wanted to like this book because yes please give me casual queerness…I couldn’t." - Arthur

"Part of me wants to take this book, wrap myself up in it, and roll around squealing." - Leigh

Find our full reviews on our blog here

*copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review*
Katherine Lowenbraun
Chameleon Moon is fantastic. The characters are warm and queer and caring. Reading Chameleon Moon was like a pep talk just for me--it's okay not to be okay, and there are people who love you just for being who you are. I am so thankful this exists! It was like an affirming hug, but with extra adventure thrown in.

I immediately bought a copy for a friend. I may buy copies for everyone I know--we'll see.
Linus
This is just… really really good.

A bunch of disabled queers caring for each other in a very hostile world that is quite literally burning.

Lots of heavy content, but still feeling very positive and hopeful.

I love the writing.

(Prepare for some typos, I personally don't mind that, but yeah.)
Kaelan Rhywiol
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I immensely enjoyed this book. I bought it for the diversity and to help support an indie author. I didn't expect a Greek allegory!

It's lovely.

I did have a few problems with passive voice, it's just my Achilles heel with reading and it took me longer to read because of that. But that's found ALL the time in big 5 pub., and usually much more frequently. The uniqueness of the story and characters? That you'd never find in traditional. The story, characters, and plot are so enjoyable.

Seeing the rep
Lia
After all the hype, I was expecting to love this book! However, though I loved the characters, it was very confusing to me. A lot was happening, there were a lot of characters, different POVs and it all felt like someone gave me a bunch of puzzle pieces but didn’t tell me how they were supposed to fit together.
Ace Book Club: January: Chameleon Moon 24 74 Jan 28, 2017 09:34PM
Blog Tour & Giveaway! 1 6 Oct 10, 2014 11:32AM
  • Your Energy Speaks: Stories of Transformation through Energy Healing
  • 30 Days of No Gossip
  • The Zodiac Collector
  • Imperfect Love
  • Shadow Fire (Light Chronicles, #1)
  • A Boy Called Cin
  • The Butterfly Curse (Azra's Pith, Book 3)
  • Home Matters (Ripple Effect Romance #1)
  • Promises, Promises
  • Good Enough to Eat (The Vampire Diet Series, #1)
  • Daughter of Mystery (Alpennia, #1)
  • Second Chances 101 (Ripple Effect Romance #5)
  • Getting By (A Knight's Tale #1)
  • Silver Linings (Ripple Effect Romance #2)
  • The Tesla Gate (The Tesla Gate #1)
  • Vessel
  • Immersed (Ripple Effect Romance #6)
  • Lost and Found (Ripple Effect Romance #4)
RoAnna Sylver is passionate about stories that give hope, healing and even fun for LGBT, disabled and other marginalized people, and thinks we need a lot more. Aside from writing oddly optimistic dystopia and vampire books, RoAnna is a blogger, artist, singer, and voice actor.

RoAnna lives with family and a small snorking dog near Portland, OR, and probably spends too much time playing videogames.

Chameleon Moon (2 books)
  • The Lifeline Signal (Chameleon Moon, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“Words are important. They let you know it’s real, you’re fine, more people like you exist. They let you know you’re not alone.” 11 likes
“They'll use guns and they'll use words, and the worst part of all is that you might listen when they say you're a freak or a monster, and you might start to believe it.
But they are lying.”