Start by marking “Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1)

Chameleon Moon

(Chameleon Moon #1)

The city of Parole is burning. Like Venice slips into the sea, Parole crumbles into fire. And trapped inside is an entire population of people with bizarre, beautiful and terrifying abilities - people who really should not have them. When Regan, an anxiety-ridden hitman with the peeling skin of a lizard meets Evelyn, singer, revolutionary, and unofficial superhero, it’s up ...more
ebook, 1st Edition
Published October 9th 2014 by The Zharmae Publishing Press (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Chameleon Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chameleon Moon

Start your review of Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1)
Laura (bbliophile)
Review originally posted on bbliophile.wordpress.com

Excuse my language, but holy fucking shit. This book. It’s so good!!!

I started reading this book back in April, and it took me 3 months to finish. I’m not exactly sure why, but I’m glad that it took me so long. I’m happy I got to spend so much time with the characters and in this world, because I had a wonderful time.

The characters are, in my opinion, the best part of this book. They’re all so real, wonderful, and shit, there are literal tears
Wart Hill
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, to-review, fantasy
The rep in this book is exactly what I want. Casual queerness. Non binary characters, binary trans characters, gay characters. Just. Characters who HAPPEN TO BE QUEER and it's NBD. It's exactly what I want, especially in speculative fiction.

Unfortunately the book itself fell flat for me. I could not immerse myself in this world. I was bored from the start and I couldn't get into it the entire time. I don't know if it's the POV-shifting - so much head hopping - or what but as much as I wanted to
Mel
Review of the first edition

I haven’t read a book that wasn’t a romance or at least had a romantic story arc in quite a while and usually, to be honest, they don’t really capture me and, um, I get easily bored. But not so this time. Right from the first page I was totally sucked in by the engaging writing style of the author, by the unusual– and also diverse– cast of characters, and by the mystery that is hidden in every pore of the book. Until the end, the reader is learning and discovering, and
Shira Glassman
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of queer dystopian, anyone looking for good transfeminine representaton
The setup for Chameleon Moon is that Parole, an American city of unspecified location, has been completely cut off from the rest of the country by government blockade in order to contain the chaos that ensued when a medication started giving everyone random and in some cases uncontrollable superpowers. For reasons that I assumed were either governmental/deliberate or accidental but turn out to be more complicated (spoilers!), the city's reserve of oil has also been ignited, meaning that fires ar ...more
Caidyn (he/him/his)
I tried to reread this from the updated version I have and I couldn't get into it. I know I loved it once, but I just couldn't get hooked by the story again.

Original review

I'm going to preface this by saying that I honestly didn't mean to take this long to read it. Life got in the way. First year of college, and a lot of other personal things that I don't feel like delving into for a review.

Right when I started this, I was hooked. That prologue was amazing, and it thrust me right into the story.
Acqua
Jun 10, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
DNF

Acqua: *hates when people say "remember to breathe" and "it's going to be ok" while she has a panic attack*
this book: *half of it seems to be people having panic attacks and reminding each other to breathe and that everything is going to be ok*

this... wasn't going to work

next time, someone remind me that if something is described as "hopepunk", it probably means that I need to stay away from it. Here's the thing: I don't care about being told platitudes about everything being ok and humans be
Claudie Arseneault
"What did you think?" asks Goodreads, but I am not sure I can properly put words on how much I adore this book.

CHAMELEON MOON is everything I wish dystopian and post-apocalyptic worlds were all the day. I love my settings bleak. I love it when everything went wrong, shit hit the fan big time, and the one question on everyone's mind is "how am I going to make it through?"

And I love these because of the intense, selfless acts of compassion people do in ugly times. I love to see GOOD people holdin
Ceillie Simkiss
MY HEART. THIS BOOK HAS STOLEN IT.
Elle Maruska
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much.

I've been attempting to read more indie books and authors, and as I follow Sylver on Twitter I thought this would be a good place to start and I'm so glad I took the chance. I love this book, I love it in so many ways that it's hard to describe. But I'll try!

I love that this book is fearless.

When you read a lot of genre (like I do) you get used to a set of tropes and borders in stories. There are certain things you know that different genres will do--whether it's SciFi
CrowCaller
Nov 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, indie
1.5? The faults are mostly/all plot/pacing/character/content, the writing is fine.

50% of this book is characters giving emotional counsolling to other characters, mostly by reminding them to breath or saying 'it's going to be okay'

The other half is introducing way too many effing characters.

Listen. Roanna is super nice, and I have nothing against her, I respect her, I respect her personality and effort. I really, really did not like this book, and it boggles me how universally loved it is.

I'm go
B.R. Sanders
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Notes on Diversity:
SO. MUCH. DIVERSITY.

The book follows a tight-knit group of erstwhile superheroes--and most of them are dealing with mental and/or physical disabilities. A number of them are clearly people of color. The main character is a trans woman, and she's basically the best!! There is am interracial queer poly family that is sweet and functional.

Diversity is firing on all cylinders here. A toast to that.

giphy

Review:
What if there was a magic cure-all drug that could fix what was wrong with y
Devann
DNF @ 25%
actual rating: 2.5

I liked the idea of this book and also that there were so many great queer characters just casually populating the world, but I just could not get into the actual plot and at over 100k it was just waaay too long for me to put any more time and effort into it. Honestly I think the character interactions were just too cutesy for what I've been wanting to read lately. Genre fiction that has a diverse cast AND a grimdark plotline when?! I hate that I always have to choose
ButYouGotMySoul
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book is fabulous! There's not another word for it. There are a few editorial mistakes, however the story more than makes up for that. Trans and queer positive and representative, this story has something for everyone.

Compelling story, wonderful representation, and lively writing.

Here's to hoping for a sequel!
Chasia Lloyd
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read I never wanted to end. So much queer love and comfort. Now, there is a lot of pain and hurt, too, but lots of love and comfort to balance it out. There is hope in a dystopian society, a message my bruised heart needed to see.
Kayla Bashe
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chameleon Moon is about a bunch of superpowered misfits trapped in a dying city. The book has an attention gripping cinematic opening, cool unique dialogue, and hella style.
For all its flaws, like the fact that it's kind of on fire from the bottom up a la that one Russian sinkhole full of gas that somebody decided to torch, the city of Parole is one of those places you'd want to visit, like Weetzie Bat's LA or Transexual Transylvania or Narnia, except with dystopian surveillance and hot chicks.
Eloise
This was a joy to read.

The plot was interesting and developped quite well, but the heart of this story is the characters.
They are all so loveable in their own way. All different, all flawed in some way but well rounded enough that you can't help but feel part of their family. They all love each other and want to protect each other and that is so beautiful.
It was also great to see an asexual dragon-scale-skinned guy filled with anxiety as the main character, along side a brilliant cast of polyamo
Mercurybard
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, lgbt
Jack has 3 moms. If that bothers you, proceed no further because this is a book about heroes who come in all shapes, sizes, genders, colors, and sexualities.

The setting of Parole, the quarantined city of mutants, is literally on fire and is fantastic. Think Battery City + Centralia, PA + District 13. The plot is well done, and the big reveal towards the end was not what I was expecting but satisfying and true to the story.

My problem with this book is that the writer's skills aren't quite up to
Lia
After all the hype, I was expecting to love this book! However, though I loved the characters, it was very confusing to me. A lot was happening, there were a lot of characters, different POVs and it all felt like someone gave me a bunch of puzzle pieces but didn’t tell me how they were supposed to fit together.
Tasha
Jul 01, 2017 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
I'm finding it very hard to get into this so I'm putting it on hold and I'll give it another try at some other time. ...more
Eri
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sff, lgbtq
I read the first edition of this book when it first came out, in one day. I couldn't put it down to be frank, and now, a couple years later, I found myself reading Roanna Sylver's short story Runtime and read it again. I loved it the second time too.

Now I'm here to review the new edition, nearly a full rewrite of the original book, same plot, same characters, all new life to the story. I will say this: it is better. If you read the first edition of the book, read this one and you won't regret i
Amber
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding, so full of love

I've never read a book like this before, and now all I want is more. There's so much - so much love amid pain, hope amid fear, family amid a broken world - and the celebration of all people, everyone, diverse and LGBTQ and all beautiful and strong and vibrant and so deeply human. This is what every book should be like.
I loved Chameleon Moon so much, and I think it would hold a strong appeal for fans of Welcome to Night Vale.

Patrol is a true dystopian – a city where the sky is chocked with smoke and ash and the ground is just one step away from crumbling into the fires below. And above everything the helicopters of Eye in the Sky survey the super powered citizens, making sure no one can escape. But within this hellhole, the citizens of Patrol have found love, families, and the will to resist. Among them is Eve
Dakota Avery
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: would-read-again
I was fortunate enough to have received an advanced copy of the Second Edition of Chameleon Moon, and let me tell you a thing:

I have been sat here for hours, attempting to write this for a number of days now; trying to wrangle in my ADHD and focus long enough to write a review worthy of this book. And I suppose that’s a good starting point right there.

If you know me then it is common knowledge that it is difficult for me to sit down and read anything longer that 1000 words. A wicked combination
Polenth Blake
People with superpowers are kept in quarantine in the city of Parole. When an assassination goes wrong, Regan is left with amnesia, and it might have something to do with the larger issues of the city.

It's debatable in an ensemble cast whether anyone is a main character. I'm loosely saying they're Regan and Evelyn, as a lot of the plot and scenes revolve around their stories, even if they're from someone else's perspective. But other characters also have large roles, so it's open to interpretati
Alex
Love yourself, love the people around you, and never give up. If you need help, reach out. If you’re drowning, make some noise. There are people who love you, who will throw you a life preserver. That’s what it all comes down to, love. That’s how we’re gonna get through this. And we are gonna get through this.

Third read edit, 2020.10.10.

Book Three WHEN??

Second read edit, 2018. 01. 10: I still adore this book, and everything it stands for. I adore the descriptions, but most of all I adore the c
Sinamile
TW/CW: torture, mentions of ptsd, mentions of anxiety, mentions of depression, mentions of drug use, mentions of dissociation, mention of trauma (mental/physical), allusion to suicide, fire

I really fricking appreciate that a trans character didn't have to be deadnamed to show that they're trans. I really fricking appreciate how normalized pronouns are. I really fricking appreciate how much ptsd and anxiety and such are spoken about, how real they're made. I really fricking appreciate this book!
Cande
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Chameleon Moon is a wonderful, heartwarming and hopeful story about found families and resistance.

Parole is on fire, literally on fire. The city is chaos, the government is corrupted and everything seems pointless. Here it comes Evelyn, Parole superheroine, and her wonderful friends and family. They're the resistance, bringing hope and rescuing citizens.

There are many characters and I loved all, the diversity is amazing. For the first time, I read about people like me surviving, people like
Tobias Deleskiewicz
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Solly
THIS WAS SUCH A WEIRD BOOK AND I LOVED IT

No, honestly, I had heard so much good about Chameleon Moon and was kinda worried to start it because what if I didn't like it?? Especially since it took me a little while to get into it. But once I got into it, it was really damn amazing, what a ride.

It is not your typical dystopian novel, it's original and hopeful and far from grim even if there is some violence. It's also all you could ask for from a diverse book, it's so queer, so many disabled chara
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
GreatAce.Club: January: Chameleon Moon 23 77 Jan 28, 2017 09:34PM
Blog Tour & Giveaway! 1 6 Oct 10, 2014 11:32AM

• The Cybernetic Tea Shop
  • Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire, #1)
  • Revenant Gun (The Machineries of Empire, #3)
  • Raven Stratagem (The Machineries of Empire, #2)
  • A Stitch in Time (Thorne Manor, #1)
  • Pantomime (Micah Grey, #1)
  • The Unquiet Past (Secrets)
  • A Dream So Dark (Nightmare-Verse, #2)
  • Notes from an Exhibition
  • Gender: A Graphic Guide
  • Fourth World (Iamos Trilogy, #1)
  • Bluebell Hall
  • Heartstopper: The Mini-Comics
  • The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
  • Under My Skin (Under My Skin #1)
  • Sovereign (Nemesis #2)
  • The Trans Self-Care Workbook: A Coloring Book and Journal for Trans and Non-Binary People
  • How to Be Ace: A Memoir of Growing Up Asexual
See top shelves…
RoAnna Sylver is passionate about stories that give hope, healing and even fun for LGBT, disabled and other marginalized people, and thinks we need a lot more. Aside from writing oddly optimistic dystopia and vampire books, RoAnna is a blogger, artist, and singer.

RoAnna lives with family near Portland, OR, and probably spends too much time playing videogames. The next adventure RoAnna would like i

Chameleon Moon (2 books)
  • The Lifeline Signal (Chameleon Moon, #2)