Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift, Part 1 (The Rift, #1)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift, Part 1 (The Rift, #1)

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift, Part 1 (The Rift #1)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  10,783 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
Sacred Land Defiled!

Avatar Aang asks his friends to help him honor Yangchen's Festival—one of the highest Air Nomad holidays, which hasn't been celebrated in over one hundred years. But cryptic visits from the spirit of Avatar Yangchen herself lead Aang to discover a jointly owned Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom refinery—operating on land sacred to the Airbenders! Is this si
Published March 5th 2014 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avatar

Lola  Reviewer
*3.5 stars*

description

Have you ever read something on an impulse? Even though you had already started one, two or three other reads? I do it all the time. And it feels good. I wouldn’t actually call it procrastinating but more like ‘escaping’ and trying to fulfill the need for another type of ambience, setting or characters in order to enjoy the ones you are currently reading even more.

And it did work. I now cannot wait to get back to The Rose Master.

I have never truly followed the Avatar: The Last Airbend
Rose
Another strong start to the next installment in the "Avatar: The Last Airbender" series. Gene Luen Yang, Michael Dante DiMartino, and Bryan Koneitzko team up for the newer series "The Rift." This story starts with Aang taking a journey with the group to honor the memory of one of the former Avatars, Avatar Yangchen. But Aang's surprised to find that not all is as he remembered when the sacred lands are settled by a group of Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom groups working a refinery, which is causin ...more
Cath
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
4/5 stars.
I haven't read any Avatar comics for a while and ahhhhhhh this was great.
Onto the next one!
Sonja ✧ Badass Wanderer ✧
❝Don't you think you're trying a little too hard to hold on to the past?❞
❝Maybe, but don't you think you're trying a little too hard to run away from it?❞
❝Not everybody's past is like yours, Aang. Some of us have to run away just to... just to live.❞
I really enjoyed The Rift: Part One! Gurihiru continues to amaze me with their stunning art. Every page I turned, I was greeted with beautiful artwork. The art alone is enough of a reason for me to continue reading the Avatar: The Last Airbender gr
Nicolo Yu
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: digital-comics
I'd rate this book higher if I was more familiar with Avatar: The Last Airbender mythology, which I heard was an excellent animated series.

Still, it wasn't a bad book, I'm just not the right target audience for it. Despite it, I still felt the enjoyment of reading it.
Samantha
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Real Rating: 4 1/2

I have to say, I think these books are finally coming into their own. Not that I disliked the first two trilogies, but they had flaw after flaw. Not that this one doesn't have some flaws as well, but I enjoyed it more than the others.

First off, the art. I've always enjoyed the art of these books, but I think the style has grown on me even more. I'm not a huge artist, but there's a few panels that I want to sketch out because I thought they were so beautiful.

I also love the nods
Myron
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Isa Lavinia
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

ARC provided by Dark Horse Comics through Netgalley

While out with the Avatar Team and General Iroh in the Earth Kingdom, Aang sees a vision of past Avatar Yangchen who tries to warn him of something which he can't hear.
Convinced Avatar Yangchen is asking him to reinstate a traditional Air Nomad celebration in her honour, Aang sets out with the Avatar Team and his new air acolytes to celebrate Yangchen's Festival. But things do not go as planned, and Aang's need to reconnect with the past cla
Katie
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I seriously love all these
Joost
Omg een nieuw personage is WOW HUH AAAAAAAAHHHH! Dit boek gaat over een geest (denk ik?) waar avatar Yangchen voor waarschuwt en ook de familie van Toph verschijnt weer. Tot nu toe nog niet een graphic novel die net zo goed is als de vorige reeksen, maar ik ga snel door met de rest van deze reeks!
Jen • Just One More Page

Review for all three parts under the cut.
(view spoiler)
Miss Clark
Ashley
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some scattered thoughts:

1. Toph is awesome. I love her. More Toph.
2. I like how the conflict between Aang and Toph was handled here. It felt authentic, and not manufactured.
3. It might be my imagination, but I think the art is finally aging the characters up?
4. I hope this series goes on for a long time.
5. Only complaint: Isn't it too early for machines to show up in this world? I'd like to see a timeline for industrialization in the Avatar world.

I just realized how nerdy that sounded.
Nicolo Yu
I admit that I could have enjoyed this better if I was more familiar with The Last Airbender cartoon on Nickelodeon. I've only seen less than five episodes of it.

The book is well-written and I could get by enough with what I know about the cartoon to enjoy it but just barely. Still, this is a great book for a younger reader.
Laura (Bookies & Cookies)
Wait, WHAT? WHOA.
Ashley Owens
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, graphic-novels
It weirds me out that Katara calls Aang sweetie so often. But I'm glad we're gonna dig into Toph's past!
Bethany
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it

This review is based on an ARC ebook received for free from NetGalley. I am not being paid to review this book and what I write here is my own opinion. My rating scale is below.

brief
In this pleasing after-the-anime graphic novel, Aang and his friends have their plans to celebrate an Air Nomad holiday upset due to an inconveniently placed factory that Aang believes is damaging the environment around it, putting him into a confrontation with Toph, who is not convinced by his arguments.

ful
Victoria W.
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was given a chance to read this book for free from Dark Horse through NetGallery in exchange for my honest review, the opinions are my own.
In The Rift - Part 1 (this is a serial for those of you who like the entire story at once), readers rejoin Aang and the gang following the events in the television show (nope, not telling you what events, it's honestly a fun show, go watch some it's worth it).
Aang is working hard to unify the nations and rebuild the fallen Air temples.
What better way to t
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)
Note: this review is to span all three vols. of 'The Rift'

I picked this up because I'm a huge ATLA fan! I love the TV show so much. I wasn't sure what to expect when I began to read 'The Rift' but I was pleasantly surprised. The art was great, I got lots of feels from the story, and I think the plot overall was great.

I LOVED that we see the Air Acolytes (the beginning of them) from LOK! I was also pleased with the way Aang reacted to them, it was very human and natural. Satoru was a nice add i
Eric
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender
This pleasingly familiar story picks up not long after the conclusion of the three-season spanning Avatar: The Last Airbender television series. It should be noted upfront that this story will be a great deal more enjoyable if you have seen the show, especially through to its conclusion. It felt a lot like an episode of the series, and like the show was, it will be serialized, so while this graphic novel has an ending, it is not the ultimate ending of the arc, titled "The Rift."

Even if you have
Fred Warren
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dark Horse Comics has been running a popular graphic novel series based on Avatar: The Last Airbender for some time now that continues the story where the television show left off. This latest installment, The Rift, Part One, is written by award-winning author and artist Gene Luen Yang and drawn by Japanese comic art team Gurihiru. .

Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph, and a trio of Air Acolytes witness the seating of the first coalition government with representatives from both Fire and Earth Nations, th
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}

*I received a free e-copy of this book/comic/thingie from the publisher via Netgalley and I will be forever grateful.*

Okay, so where's the next one?

I loooove Avatar: The Last Airbender. And I've been loving these comics too! I miss these characters so much. Don't get me wrong, most of the time, I like The Legend of Korra, but if I had to choose between these comics as a series or Korra, my choice will always be for Aang and the gang.

Nice cliffhanger by the way, now I need the next one because I
Becca Martin
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016, read-2017
The Avatar Universe will always hold a place in my heart. The comics are gold and I will continue to collect them religiously <3 Water Tribe~

*Update: Re-read this, Feb 2017. Still so incredibly well done and hilarious.
Chibivy
Toph: "Don't you think you're trying to hard to hold on to the past?"

Aang: "Maybe. But don't you think you're trying too hard to run away from it?"

Toph: "Not everybody's past is like yours, Aang. Some of us have to run away... just to live."
Emmanuel
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars

A little too on the nose at times, and feels quite repetitive of the source material. But it reads incredibly well, the art is just as beautiful as it is in the animated series, the moral of the story is concise and accessible, and it's got one heck of an ending!
Eris Vianney
3.5

toph is back !!!
Swankivy
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm always so happy to jump back into stories about the good old "Gaang." Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph, and Appa are together again for an adventure that, as usual, starts out lighthearted and goes somewhere potentially serious. We get some adorable stuff with Sokka obsessed with food and Iroh obsessed with tea, and I love the sentiment that the new democratically elected government needs to do well because it is serving as an example and a bridge into the future. Same with the metalbending school ...more
Julie Decker
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the first volume of another trilogy, THE RIFT, we follow the Avatar as he attends ceremonies associated with the new democratically elected government that joins the nation of Fire and the kingdom of Earth. Excited about new possibilities, the gang celebrates, but Aang keeps seeing visions of the previous Air Avatar who seems to be trying to tell him something's wrong. Together with some Air Acolytes, Aang travels with Katara, Sokka, Toph, and Appa and finds another new development in his wor ...more
Manisha
"That's just how it's done."

How often have I heard those very words growing up? I started reading this because I was feeling some major ATLA withdrawal. I didn't expect it to start off as a debate between Aang and Toph, of which, I understand both views.

Aang wants to protect the traditions, even going so far as to follow the traditions without knowing why he was following it in the first place. And he didn't even care that he didn't know the origins of it. Toph, on the other hand, can't help
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • Lady Mechanika, Vol.1: the Mystery of Mechanical Corpse (Lady Mechanika, #0-5)
  • Princeless, Vol. 2: Get Over Yourself
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Project
  • Princess Ugg Volume 1
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 3: Hot Zone
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Volume 2
  • Pirates of the Silver Coast (Three Thieves, #5)
  • Adventure Time: Seeing Red (Adventure Time OGN, #3)
  • Mouse Guard: Baldwin the Brave and Other Tales
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju (Baltimore, #5)
  • Finder: Third World
  • Darth Vader #13
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 1
  • Silk #2
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He
More about Gene Luen Yang...

The Rift (3 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift, Part 2 (The Rift, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift, Part 3 (The Rift, #3)