Start by marking “The Love Detective (Love Detective, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Love Detective (Love Detective, #1)

The Love Detective

(Love Detective #1)

"People always ask me what kind of books I write and I guess you'd call them love stories, but I also think of them as mysteries. After all, what makes two people fall in love? I've written three novels on the topic and I'm still looking for the answers.

In a way, I'm a bit of a love detective. Because what's a greater mystery than love?"

Ruby Miller
Published January 2nd 2014 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2014)

Ana

Also posted on This Chick Reads

*Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review*

I'm a HUGE fan of Alexandra Potter and I'm proud to say I've read (and own) almost all of her novels. The very first book I read by her was 'You're The One That I Don't Wan't' and it was that brilliant book that made me fall in love with Ms. Potter and her beautiful writing. The thing is, no matter how many books by Potter you read, you can never get enough of her charm, humor and magical stories. Having t/>*Copy
Norah Una Sumner
description

One of the greatest days of my life. Nothing but love for Alex.
Natalie TBGWP
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
For my first read of 2014 I am happy to announce all upcoming books need to be afraid. Alexandra Potter's new release The Love Detective is not only a fabulous romance novel, but an inspiring, cultural whirlwind. You start not really knowing what you're going to get with the book, but more or less straight away you are engrossed and captivated in Indian sun and a delightful tale of love, friendship, family and fate.

Heroine Ruby Miller has you eating out of her hands after a few chapters.
Emma Griffiths
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much! It was so good, I couldn't put it down and I was always so excited to read the next chapter, which is why I've brought some more books from Alexandra Potter which I'm excited to read and I hope they'll bring me as much joy as they did with this one.
Nikki
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
To be honest, this isn't really my genre but I bought this for my friend about a year ago and she loved it and immediately lent it back to me with instructions to read it. It's sat on my shelf ever since but she mentioned it to me again the other day and I decided it was about time I read and returned it! I'd just finished a longer novel and I thought I could do with something like this to mix it up a bit.

I raced through it - I only started it last night and finished it early this mo
Agi
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
After reading "The Love Detective" (finally! finally!) I can proudly say that I have read all of Alexandra's books, and that this one is one of her best. If I am not mistaken, this is the first book in the series about Ruby and I really can't wait to see what Ms Potter has in store for us with the next books, as this one was truly enjoyable and very fresh!

Ruby Miller is a writer but she finds herself in a writing backlog right now. Well, she writes romances but after being badly trea
Bookworm
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was pretty disappointed with the first half of the book. I've enjoyed books by this author before but somehow this one isn't my cup of tea. Ruby Miller's narration comes across as whiny, overly dramatic and pathetic. There I've said it. There were simply too many unwise and annoying things she did, like overspending on useless souvenirs, expecting the India train service to be luxurious and running away from Jack after spotting the ruby ring without clearing her doubts. And it's not that she's ...more
Jasmine
"Life should not be about the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away."

After reading the book, well I must say!
What an ADVENTURE!

I mean, despite the fact that as I've started reading the first few chapters of Alexandra Potter's new novel, I thought it was really going to be insanely boring. But I was totally wrong! Not only the book cover is really cute and catchy for its female readers, even the story was actually nice. So what m
Noriko
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
"Serendipity," is the word that I would employ to describe this book. This book is magical and is full of fantastical, romantic vibe which I loved a lot.

My fascination over this book mostly comes from the description after description of India - the mystical land of nature and gorgeous, diverse culture. The author, Alexandra Potter did an amazing job of telling the story of the heroine, Ruby's journey to take back her old self and believe in love once again.

Her visit to India to recharge her b
Linda Dobinson
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I opened this book Alexandra Potter was a new author to me, when I closed it she was one of my favourites.
This is a truly engrossing story and I was totally lost in it. Ruby Miller is a likable heroine and I thoroughly enjoyed the magical mystery tour across India. I am happy that I now know a little more about Indian culture and a lot more about India's geography than I did. For all romance fans this book is a must.
Deejay (DZ)
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I rarely give a book 5 stars but this one totally deserved it, it made me feel so many emotions, I laughed and I cried oh so many times, I don't usually read romance and comedy but I wanted to try something different, I was blown away, and I instantly fell in love with Jack, my ship DID sail, man I love happy ever afters !! Thank you Alexandra for this masterpiece !!
syuffey
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
My first book in 2015. Totally love this book. I love to travel but I haven't been to India. Now I feel like taking the first flight there
Ivy Olivia
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
loving the way alexandra wrote it <3
can't wait to read her next books! :D
Tinka
“Oh Jeez, you haven’t gone all Eat, Pray, Love on me, have you?”

Two things about me before we get into this review:
1) I’m a cynic.
2) Despite being a cynic, whenever I’m in a total stressful situation I tend to ignore that part of my personality and read utterly romantic chick lit.

The thing is, “Chick Lit” as you call it is not what I usually read, however a few times a year I kind of need it. Whenever I’m really stressed out (mostly when it times for my Exams at univyou?”
Tripfiction
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Romance novel set in India (get a tourist perspective)

Ever since Ruby, aged thirty-something, caught her (now ex) fiancé in flagrante with another woman, life has been in a bit of a rut – staying in watching tv, curling up with her dog etc. That is until her elderly next door neighbour points out that “There’s plenty of time to be sensible when you get to my age.” so she jumps on a plane to join her sister on holiday in Goa.

After a seemingly death defying journey from the
Bookevin
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
www.iheart-chicklit.blogspot.com

OK, people! Alexandra Potter is back this year with a brand-new series and she's really upped the ante for her books! The Love Detective is the first book in her new series, which follows the story of famous romance novelist, Ruby Miller who goes on a holiday in Goa to meet her sister, Amy. In a whirlwind of sexy yoga instructors, unfortunate incidents, breathtaking views and glorious weddings, Ruby is in for the adventure of her life. And things get seriously complicated when she meets
Fabulous Book Fiend
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review: firstly can we all just take a moment to appreciate the gorgeous cover of this book. This is something completely different, a new look for this author and I am completely in love with it! Having read this novel on my kindle, I am actually toying with the idea of buying the paperback just so I can have this cover sitting gloriously on my shelf! Now onto the actual content of the book. I was totally drawn into this book right from the word go. The idea of a writer sitting there in her dre ...more
Lu Newman
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my cup of Chai Tea...

This book inspired me... not to fall in love but to travel to India. I have read a few stories set in a variety of countries but none of them have made me want to go to a country as much as this one. The book unfortunately is predominantly a love story, a will they, won't they saga. Sadly it is very obvious the way in which the story is heading. It would have been nice to be surprised.

This is the second story I have read by Alexandra Potter and to be honest I was
Sarah Broadhurst
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have read many of Alexandra Potter's back catalogue and have enjoyed them all and this book is another great read. I read it very quickly and enjoyed every page.

When I pick up one of Potter's books I am expecting a chick lit, romantic read, however I found this book was even better than normal. Throughout this book the reader is introduced to the sights, sounds and smells of India as Ruby travels through the country on a train before travelling further by car, visiting local market
Katie
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-faves
The love detective jumped out at me in the book shop, the front cover is beautiful and turning over the book to read the back I knew I wouldn't be leaving the store without it.

I absolutely loved reading the love detective -I think I went through every emotion whilst reading it, I was laughing,cringing even crying at one point! Sitting in my front room I was transported to India- into a world of colour and culture.

The story is about Ruby Miller, a writer who lives in London with her
Kimiko-K
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Prologue: The moment I sighted 5 satisfying stars along with panegyrics for this books' reviews, I rushed to the bookstore and grabbed it.

The laugh: Oh god, Potter never fails to send me cracking out and risked my Mother throwing me into the asylum; no one does humor quite like her! The people who says reading is a monotonous and lackluster activity certainly had not had to chance to chance on one of her books, seriously missing out there.

The story: They say a good book m
Yvonne
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Love Detective is such a lovely read! Alexandra Potter has me feeling the heat and smelling the glorious food in India. Being in Asia myself, it's so easy to relate to the places described and the overly crowded train rides.

I've got the weirdest chills and goosebumps towards the end when Jack elaborated the strange email and his full name... Good lovely goosebumps though! :)

Also I must have yelled at & strangled Ruby silently a million times, for not having coffee
Katy Leanne
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think Alexandra is fast becoming my new favourite author!
I loved this book, it was packed of adventure and not slow moving like a lot of other novels can be, I think we can all identify with ruby in one way or another which makes the character loveable, and the story amazing in her travels across India, it even inspired me to perhaps travel there one day, maybe without eating train chocolate though! I was hooked on this book and would recommend it to everyone, I'm now collecting all her
Kate
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is obvious that the book was inspired from Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love minus the fact that instead of finding love in Bali, Ruby Miller found love in Rajasthan, India in a form of Jack Simon. I love the chemistry between Ruby and Jack during the entire journey and the mysterious Rocky.

India may appear hard to love, but despite all the negative feedback I read about the environment, I am still including India in my travel bucket list.
Pau Cevasco
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great job, yet again! I read a lot by Alexandra Potter and found her again a couple of weeks ago, so I mentally put her in my to-read list, and I'm so happy I did! I finished it in a day, couldn't put it down! It's the perfect feel-good read for anyone who has been feeling a little faithless in the love department... A great book to read whilst huggin a cup of sweet coffee, cause it'll give you the same warmy feeling
Frenchorchidea
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I already loved the stories and writing from Alexandra Potter before, but now it's even more than love!!!! this book is wonderful!!!! Very lovely story and also very funny at some parts! i surprised myself laughing out loud!!!! And i really enjoyed travelling through India with Ruby, Jack and Rocky :) Wonderful book! I can only recommand it!!!!!!
Amy
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading this book, it really helped me to get back into reading as I have suffered from a severe slump over the past few months. The story was engaging from start to finish, and I even shed a tear or two!
Amanda Ooi
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
This book is so good it keeps me reading and damn! It's so eventful. If you like Eat, Pray, Love, you'll love this book!
Valeriia Samoilenko
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Made me to remember the mystic aura of India. Sometimes we need to let a fairy tale to come in our lifes.
Jo
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read these books in the wrong order - but it didn't really matter except that there are references to Jack in the second book and I didn't know who he was. This was an amusing romp of a tale travelling from the UK to India with Ruby trying to find her sister Amy who has threatened to elope. This is a lovely light read and thoroughly entertaining.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chick Lit Book Club: The Love Detective: Chit Chat 13 74 Jan 18, 2015 12:07PM
My new book THE LOVE DETECTIVE 2 7 Jan 09, 2014 04:53AM

• It Had to Be You
  • Just for Christmas
  • Step Back In Time
  • Take A Look At Me Now
  • The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me
  • Christmas Under a Cranberry Sky (A Town Called Christmas #1)
  • Moonshine
  • The Out of Office Girl
  • Written in the Stars
  • What a Girl Wants (A Girl, #2)
  • It's Raining Men
  • The Reunion
  • The Woman Who Fell in Love for a Week
  • Never Google Heartbreak (Vivienne Summers, #1)
  • The Summer without You
  • Thirteen Weddings
  • Mistletoe on 34th Street
  • Cupcakes at Carrington's
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of ELEVEN novels that can be described as romantic comedies with a magical twist. Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
instag

Love Detective (2 books)
  • Love from Paris (Love Detective, #2)
“But, you know, everytime your heart is broken, it gets stronger.” 8 likes
“I once read that life should not be about the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away.” 0 likes