Jump to ratings and reviews

Time Trips

Doctor Who: Into the Nowhere

The Eleventh Doctor and Clara land on an unknown alien planet. To the Doctor’s delight and Clara’s astonishment, it really is unknown. It’s a planet the Doctor has never seen. It’s not on any maps, it’s not referenced on any star charts or in the TARDIS data banks. It doesn’t even have a name. What could be so terrible that its existence has been erased?

49 pages, ebook

First published January 9, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jenny T. Colgan

24 books76 followers
Jenny T. Colgan is a pseudonym of author Jenny Colgan.

Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams', which won the RNA Romantic Novel of the Year Award 2013.

Under her Jenny T. Colgan pseudonym, she is a writer of romantic comedy fiction and science-fiction, and has written for the Doctor Who line of stories.

She also uses the pseudonyms Jane Beaton and J. T. Colgan.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
28 (9%)
1 star
9 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 48 reviews
Profile Image for Dan Schwent.
2,863 reviews10.5k followers
September 1, 2014
The Doctor and Clara land on a planet that's not on any maps and neither the Doctor or The TARDIS have any knowledge of it. After a series of harrowing experiences, a walking skeleton beckons them to follow. Will they survive their meeting with the King of Bones? Of course they will. He's The Doctor!

I got this from Netgalley. Thanks, Netgalley!

Into the Nowhere is a short adventure featuring The Eleventh Doctor and Clara. Unlike some Doctor Who fiction I've read, The Doctor and his companion, Clara in this case, are very well written and consistent with their personalities from the show. The Doctor had some good jokes and even a couple tender moments.

The story is a little hokey but still fun. There's quicksand, walking skeletons, giant snakes, and a demented mastermind in the center of it all. It could have easily been a series seven episode.

This was a short story so there's not a lot more of the plot I can divulge without giving everything away. Even though it wasn't the best Doctor Who story I've ever read, the depiction of the Doctor and Clara turned what might have been a two star read into something I enjoyed. Three out of five stars.
Profile Image for Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*.
965 reviews167 followers
May 6, 2015
 photo tumblr_n9l00pH7ZF1rsjd4ho1_500_zps8uuxkwmg.jpg

"Planet with its own atmosphere, not on any star charts, not recorded, not in the Tardis databanks. Well, that's not right, is it?"

"You don't have to find out. You're not the policeman of the universe," said Clara. "No, wait, that's exactly what you are, isn't it? You've got the box and everything."

Jenny Colgan has rapidly risen in esteem to become my favorite female Doctor Who author. (Justin Richards is my favorite male Doctor Who author and will most likely stay that way.) She completely nailed the relationship between the 11th Doctor and Clara perfectly. It was sweet, humorous, and deeply poignant all at the same time! And the story was really interesting too. I look forward to reading more of Colgan's work in the near future! :D
Profile Image for Dani.
2 reviews12 followers
January 17, 2014
I absolutely loved this book, for the simple reason that Clara's complex character was explored in a way it hasn't been in the show. The plot it brilliant too; a proper adventure. It's a quick, fun read and definitely worth it -- especially if you're a huge Clara fan like myself.
Profile Image for Bookschatter.
Author 1 book95 followers
February 4, 2015
Doctor Who: Into the Nowhere (Time Trips) is part of the "Time Trips" series of novellas, and it is my very first Doctor Who read.Admittedly, being Italian, I did not grow up with this TV series, and, although I have watched the occasional episode, it has never truly appealed to me - I think it had something to do with the production itself.I do however love science fiction and I am very glad to have picked up this title, as I enjoyed every line. I felt that the story was very well constructed and that the characters rang true to the on-screen personas I remembered (I am however aware that fans of the show have expressed mixed reviews).I really enjoyed Jenny Colgan's writing style, the mysterious world and its inhabitants were incredibly vivid, full of humanity and insight.An excellent short read for anyone.I look forward to exploring Doctor Who's universe further, as well as reading other works by this author.[ARC received via Netgalley]
Profile Image for Kribu.
510 reviews52 followers
January 16, 2014
Um. Yeah.

One star + another for all the lovely skeletons.

I liked the skeletons.

I'm not sure what the rest was about. Maybe I'm too tired, or maybe I'm just too dim, but I admit I didn't really get the point of the whole thing at all - I think something of importance happened there at one point, but maybe I blinked, or something, and... basically, I think there were metaphors? Maybe? Or something. Something to do with religion, I think.

Or, yeah, maybe I'm just not smart enough for this kind of deep stuff. Or, well, lacking the necessary frame of reference.
Profile Image for Melenia.
2,062 reviews6 followers
April 19, 2019
Unfortunately, I really don’t understand this one at all and struggled with even finishing it. I’ve never really understood all the back story stuff with Clara so if you’re more familiar with her I think you will enjoy this story much more than I did.
Profile Image for Megan.
605 reviews79 followers
January 29, 2014
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.

This Doctor Who short story had a very strong beginning but quickly fell apart once Clara and the Doctor went planet side.

The characterization of the 11th Doctor and Clara was phenomenal. One of the best I have read. I could clearly see and hear the Doctor and Clara having their unique, quick and witty back and forth dialogue. I could see the Doctor caress the TARDIS, hear the sound his hand made against the machine, and Clara in the background snickering.

"Politeness," muttered Clara to herself. "Always important to politely introduce yourself to a hideous death skeleton."

"Who are you? I'm the Doctor, this is--"
"Don't tell him my name!" said Clara. "What if it's Death, come to claim us? I don't want him to find me."

"Nah," said the Doctor. "Death rides a skeletal horse, too. I'm kidding, I'm kidding."

In general, it was so wonderful to see Clara in a book. As far as I know, she's only been in SHROUD OF SORROW (if I am wrong, please correct me. With these new 'time trips' I really might be wrong). I love to unique chemistry the Doctor and Clara have on screen translate so well on to page.

There's also an old Who shout-out to K9 through-out the story which made the four year old in made so happy.

"Where are we? she asked again.

At this the Doctor let out a sigh.

"What is wrong with you?" said Clara. "Are you missing that dog thing again? You about that dog thing a lot."

"Yes," said the Doctor finally. "But that's not it. He stabbed a long finger at the planet on the screen. "I don't like it," he said crossly.

"It looks harmless," said Clara.

And yeah, don't think I missed the Hitchhiker's reference either, even if it was unintentional. There's also Harry Potter, Paddington (although that might have been an editing error), (and more Old Who *oh God, Tegan*) references in this story too. If you spot a fandom I didn't notice let me know.

Like I said, when they landed on the planet, the story just fell apart. The Doctor and the monster-of-the-week kept saying that the Doctor had been there before but never expanded on it. There was a very confusing, ever-changing and thrown together explanation as to why the planet didn't show up on any charts (the Shadow Proclamation hired a guy for security or something, the guy was fired or ran away but they are still paying him? He keeps claiming that it is his 'job' to rule over this world). Either way it was bogus and didn't sit well with me. It needed more working out.

A few times the author head hopped which was very startling while reading. Clara would be unconscious, so the POV can't be from her anymore so she switched to the Doctor's. But in the very next sentence. There wasn't any sort of break. Just Clara's POV. Now it's the Doctor's POV.

I thought this was interesting. While writing up the quotes I noticed, gee 'said' is used a lot. I did a quick search for the word said on my Kindle. The word 'said' was used 189 times in this short story. Wow. I have to say that while reading, astonishingly, I didn't notice this. But still. Wow.

A minor note, this story takes place after the 50th anniversary special. There aren't any huge spoilers for the special but you might be boggled at a line or two if you haven't seen the episode.
Profile Image for Rinn.
286 reviews216 followers
January 17, 2015
I received a copy of this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

From the very first paragraph of this book, I immediately knew it was more skillfully written than previous Doctor Who reads – at least in terms of the description. The story wasn’t quite as fun as some of the books aimed at younger audiences. Jenny T. Colgan captures the personalities and mannerisms of the Eleventh Doctor and Clara really well, and I could easily picture each scene in my head with Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman acting them out – Clara with her no-nonsense ways, and Eleven acting like a child and showing off occasionally (or more than occasionally…).

The setting was a ‘typical’ Doctor Who planet – mysterious, a little bit creepy and naturally very intriguing to the Doctor. The forest that the two travel through felt like the one from Disney’s version of Snow White, with trees seemingly coming to life and reaching out for our protagonists. The Doctor Who books can get away with some more grisly images and moments than the TV series, and this one certainly does.

There were, however, a couple of things that bugged me. I know that Doctor Who as a TV show contains pop culture references, for example the Doctor has referenced the Harry Potter series before, but for such a short book (forty-nine pages) this contained a few too many pop culture references. The villain of the story, a nerdy computer geek, felt like a major cliche – and also completely ruined the scary image of the planet.

Overall, despite a few clunky and overlong sentences and a couple of other points, this was a fun read. I mean, it is Doctor Who after all…

And I just want to share this status update I posted to Goodreads…

Profile Image for Karen Cole.
865 reviews110 followers
January 22, 2014
As a long time fan of Doctor Who I am ashamed to admit I've read very few DW books (although I did enjoy Patrick Ness' Fifth Doctor story, Tip of the Tongue recently). If they're all as good as Into the Nowhere (part of the Time Trips series) then I've been foolishly denying myself and have some serious catching up to do.
This is a beautifully described story which manages to be chilling at one moment then touching the next. The Eleventh Doctor and Clara come across a mysterious planet without a name and with no information about it. At first The Doctor is reluctant to land but of course his curiosity is piqued and soon they discover a desolate land populated by skeletons and littered with death traps. Having skeletons as the planet's inhabitants was, I thought, a masterstroke and very Who. I often think that Who monsters are scariest when they're ordinary and recognisable. Skeletons are naturally frightening but walking skeletons who live on a planet where there is danger everywhere and who have a particularly gruesome way of communicating are even more bone-chilling (do you see what I did there?!) As for our heroes, I could hear the voices of the Doctor and Clara while I was reading, the Doctor was typically mad man with a box enthusiastic yet had that darker and less forgiving side and if anything I preferred book Clara and would like to see more of her in the show.
I just wish it had been a bit longer, if I have any criticism it would be it felt a little uneven, the last part felt perhaps a little too rushed and whilst the villain was suitably evil I would have liked his character to have been explored further. This is mostly me being spoilt though, I want more!
Profile Image for Chris Kiley.
21 reviews2 followers
February 5, 2015
There isn't a single aspect of this plot that is believable, even for a Doctor Who novel. The first half is a rip off of "The Mind Robber" (2nd Doctor) with a far off operator manipulating a "place with no name" and the Doctor and companion overcoming obstacles to get to the fortress where the operator is holed up. In The Mind Robber, the operator is manipulating imaginary things in imagination land, in this novella, we are supposed to believe that a Jabba the Hut sized computer hacker is controlling Robot Skeletons to do his bidding. RIGHT.

The ending is a rip off of the end of "The Doctor's Daughter" (10th Doctor) except in that story, They break a giant biosphere ball which transforms the barren landscape into a livable paradise, in this story we are supposed to believe that the Doctor does the same with manpower and the Robot Skeletons. Oh yes and the Doctor also dismantles a Taj Mahal sized castle made out of bones... With his hands. In a few sentences. I usually like almost anything involving Doctor Who and I'm pretty good at suspending my disbelief but nothing in this story made sense. The garden of Eden is real? And hidden on an unnamed and uncharted planet? This could almost kind of work if it was a portal somewhere on Earth but this plot was just ridiculous and not in a good way.

The only reason this isn't a one star rating is because there was some decent character development with Clara's internal monologue. And the robot skeletons were kind of cool even though they were ridiculous.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Kayla.
1,565 reviews65 followers
June 8, 2015
Lately, I've been binge reading Doctor Who novels and short stories. I just can't get enough. That was going really well until I reached Into the Nowhere. It's the first Doctor Who short story I read that I really didn't care for. There were several things I didn't like about it.

The biggest thing that bothered me is that the way the author portrayed the eleventh doctor drove me absolutely crazy. It was like she was trying too hard to develop his wit and sarcasm. It just came off as forced and awkward. It seemed like he was just babbling instead of being his usual, eccentric, clever self.

The storyline also seemed rushed. The whole time they are wandering around this planet trying to survive all the things being thrown at them, which were explained in a confusing way. The climax of the story was also confusing. I had a vague idea of what was going on, but there weren't enough fleshed out details for me to know for sure.

I did enjoy the Harry Potter references that were made. There were only a couple of them, but they made the story that I wasn't liking at all a little more enjoyable. Even though I love everything Doctor Who, this story fell short of the rest of the Time Trips that I've read. I will continue to read Time Trips by other authors, but if this author releases another Time Trip short story, I won't read it.
Profile Image for Rachael.
472 reviews83 followers
November 22, 2015
NOVEMBER 2015 UPDATE: I am still in denial about last night's episode of Doctor Who (Face the Raven) so I thought I'd re-read this adventure featuring Clara and the Eleventh Doctor. Also it's quite apt timing considering it has been 52 years since Doctor Who was first shown on TV.
Into the Nowhere is just as good if not even better the second time round. There were bits I obviously missed before and now I understand it more. It includes interesting characters who may not be as monstrous as you think. It also ties in perfectly with the TV series because there are references and allusions to major plotlines.
A very good story, highly recommended for all whovians, especially those who like whouffle.

INITIAL THOUGHTS: I enjoyed reading this. The characters were captured perfectly and I loved the references to other episodes of Doctor Who and pop culture. The only letdown for me is that I would have liked a bit more background/information about how the Doctor knew what the final danger was before he actually came face to face with it. Overall, a vivid story that could have easily been an episode on the TV.
Profile Image for Sydney.
16 reviews6 followers
January 23, 2014
I really enjoyed it, being the massive doctor who fan that I am, I got to relive the show through a book AND it featured one of my favourite Doctor/Companion pairings. The story was like a dose of fanfiction, except everything in it was canon, which made me even more excited about the events that were taking place. I also loved the references to other events and characters from the tv show, as well as the snarky sarcastic comments by both Clara and the Doctor, as well as the relationship growth between them. However, the reason that I could not give this 5 stars is that the ending was very confusing, and I found it hard to completely understand the events that were occuring. A lot was left to one's own understanding of the planet that they were on, and why certain events took place. Although the ending was confusing,I did thoroughly enjoy the book and the story within it.
Profile Image for Megan.
1,474 reviews187 followers
August 24, 2016
Into the Nowhere was a fast paced and fun read. Both the Doctor and Clara were beautifully written, I could imagine Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman behaving just as these characters were written - well done! My only complaint would be that the ending was a bit rushed and, for me, wasn't really explained. This is the reason I'm only giving it four stars. Still a very good story and I recommend it to any Whovian.

I received a complimentary copy of this book to review. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book - which I have done.
Profile Image for Hilary.
1,998 reviews47 followers
June 7, 2014
One thing fans always want to know about novelizations and extra adventures: are they true to the characters? No fears here - I could picture the Doctor and Clara in my head. He can't resist meddling, and she can't leave him to it, and here they make an excellent pair as they investigate the secret of this mysterious, missing planet. The story seems a little rushed, but there's a limit on what can be done in 49 pages.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
7 reviews
June 24, 2014
I have never read a Dr Who book before but am a fan of the tv series . I found the book very enjoyable. The story grabbed hold of me and took me on an adventure on a bleak dead planet with many hidden secrets. I didn't think Dr Who books could be this good. The author captures exactly the atmosphere, thrills and drama of the tv show . I shall be telling everybody to start reading these books and i'm looking forward to reading another myself.
Profile Image for Leilani.
443 reviews16 followers
January 19, 2014
I enjoyed the chance to spend more time with Eleven and Clara, and they were well characterized, but some of the central metaphors seemed kind of strained, and the villain was a rather lazy cliche. The story seemed to have more ambition than could be fulfilled in something so short - even if It didn't quite succeed, it was a good effort.
Profile Image for Sarah.
157 reviews16 followers
January 18, 2014
I had a few minor nitpicks with it, bit overall it was a good story. She did good with continuity and had some nice nods to the doctors (mostly nine and ten), and wrote eleven's doctor pretty accurately too.
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
12 reviews
October 26, 2021
Could have been in interesting story if it had been fleshed out more, but it felt half baked and really choppy. It's also extremely and unnecessarily fatphobic. Manages two stars instead of one because I liked the exploration of Clara's bitterness towards the Doctor and all she and the other companions have been through for him and a taste of her ambition and single mindedness. Unfortunately, that doesn't make up for all the issues
Profile Image for Shadowsword.
627 reviews2 followers
June 11, 2019
A good read if it wasnt for the ending. I liked the adventure survival story, but the ending with a fat computer player/hacker, the garden Eden/snail story, the knowledge of all the universe and the hint to a backstory that doesnt exist, was too much.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Tamara Epps.
110 reviews14 followers
January 30, 2014
When the Doctor and Clara land on a planet neither the Doctor nor the Tardis recognize, it doesn’t take long for the Doctor to want to start exploring. But the more of the planet they see, the further into danger they seem to be. As they try to navigate traps that seem to be alive, they start finding messages, and Clara’s fear grows. Can the Doctor help her through her fears, and does he know more than he is letting on?

I would classify myself as a fan of Doctor Who, but I have never read any Doctor Who books before. I didn’t really know what to expect when I started reading Into the Nowhere but finished knowing I will definitely be seeking out more Doctor Who books to read.

As it is a narrative, there is more explanation of thoughts and feelings than in a television episode, yet the action keeps the story fast-paced and exciting. It didn’t feel all that different from watching an episode, which gave me my Doctor Who adrenaline fix that honestly I wasn’t expecting a book to be able to offer. My main issue was that, while obviously a reading speed is slower than watching, this particular book felt a little short; it was as if the author had rushed through it and missed a lot of potential in the process. As I said, this was the first Doctor Who book I’ve read, but I’m hoping that they don’t all leave me with this feeling of being cheated of a full story.

Most of the book seemed to be in Clara’s point of view, and it gave me a completely different view of the character. In Into the Nowhere, Clara’s fear is stated many times, and a large part of me felt this wasn’t the Clara I knew. I also wish that the author had focused on creating the feeling of fear, rather than telling the reader about it, as being told pulled me out of the world, meaning I wasn’t completely invested in it.

Overall, the book excited me to the possibilities of Doctor Who stories. The fact that, even though it is a different media, it can still create a world of intrigue and raised emotions is something I always look with Doctor Who, and for the most part the book delivered on this. However, I do hope this isn’t the best of what is available, as it seemed to be slightly off in the deliverance, meaning that I, as a reader, had to work harder to stay in the world, when that is something that I feel reader’s should feel without noticing until they finish a book.

This book wasn’t all bad, as I stated earlier, a pleasant surprise was that it gave me the Doctor Who fix I wasn’t expecting. Of course it may be my unfamiliarity with Doctor Who books that makes me unsure of this story in particular, but I will definitely be reading more, and hope they are all able to include the excitement and intrigue that Into the Nowhere did.

*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill.
216 reviews26 followers
May 15, 2015
See full review @ The Indigo Quill

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Doctor Who: Into the Nowhere is the eleventh doctor’s turn to be captured in print by the Time Trips series. He and Clara stumble upon a mysterious planet with no name or known history. Not even the TARDIS knows where they are. Not long after they leave the safety of the TARDIS, they realize that the world might not want its secrets uncovered and it seems as if the elements themselves turn against the Doctor and his companion.

The Doctor and Clara encounter a dizzying number of obstacles from the get-go in this fast-paced mystery. At times there was so much being thrown at them that it seemed chaotic, in a nail biting and enjoyable sense. For instance, at one point they escape a moving forest closing in on them, run into a conflagration of sorts, jump through it and almost fall off a cliff with a valley full of huge maggots beneath and an animated skeleton on the other side. Then they get attacked by a giant snake, all without catching their breath. Whatever forces exist on this planet, mean business.

All the authors that write for this series have done an exceptional job at writing their characters into some original and entertaining circumstances. The same can certainly be said for Jenny Colgan in this story. What has consistently amazed me with every installment in this series, is the way the authors are able to replicate the mannerisms and details from the characters we know and love from the television show, and make them believable. The eleventh doctor is full of quirk and insanity, energy and goofiness. Jenny has done Matt Smith proud with her installment, just as she has done a service for Whovians by creating this wonderfully diverting short story. Clara seemed to be a bit angrier than usual, and maybe a tad whiney at times but such is the lot for a Doctor Who companion. I didn't feel that her character was as believable as the Doctor for most of the story but that doesn't hurt things too badly.

As long as you don’t expect to have all the answers by the end, you won’t be disappointed by Into the Nowhere. It’s funny and action packed and it’s chocked full of timey-wimey adventure that any fan would enjoy. In looking back, the fact that there were still questions at the end didn’t detract from my over-all enjoyment of the story. The missing pieces add to the story and I hope one day to read (or possibly see) more from this story-line in the future.
Profile Image for Dan.
684 reviews18 followers
January 26, 2014
This is a great short story featuring the Eleventh Doctor and Clara set between the last two Eleventh Doctor TV stories, The Day of the Doctor and The Time of the Doctor. They arrive on a planet which apparently doesn't exist and inevitably bad things happen, involving skeletons and a really creepy villain.

Colgan really nails the characters here, perhaps more than virtually any Doctor Who author has managed. She really gives us an expansion of Clara, especially given how in the show more time was given to plot than character expansion with regards to her. Colgan gives us a Clara who is confused, having distant memories of her many lives across time and space saving the Doctor.

We are also given some great references to the show's mythology, from mention of a fez to the Doctor still mourning about a robot dog. It's the little touches that add the fun.

Sadly, the last quarter of the story lets it down. It does all deep and meaningful and it might well have worked in a longer story but it just leaves the reader a little confused in this format.

Perhaps the best three quarters of a Doctor Who written story ever but unfortunately let down by the ending. Very close to being perfect.
Profile Image for Erikka.
1,747 reviews
February 7, 2014
While I was generally content with this book, there were a few things that made it imperfect. I think the characterization of Clara was the thing that bothered me the most; Jenna Coleman plays a very nuanced character that is almost hard to nail down into an archetype, and unfortunately that doesn't translate well in a text-only environment. I did appreciate the Doctor's jokes, and I feel like he was well-written (except the line about him fixing his eyebrows, because come on...it's Eleven. His eyebrows are, in his words, "delicate"). I also appreciated the one line that seemed relatively Gaiman-esque to me: "The entropic chronicle of perpetuity". That's a great use of language and pretty well describes the Doctor's entire existence.

I think any Doctor Who fan would enjoy this story despite the small issues of characterization (and the odd middle section (codeword: garden) in the plot that probably would have made more sense on screen).
Profile Image for Andrea Guy.
1,463 reviews60 followers
May 19, 2014
Jenny Colgan definitely has The Eleventh Doctor down. I was glad that this time, she wrote a story with current companion, Clara. I liked that it was obvious that this story took place after The Day Of The Doctor. There were a lot of references to things in the past, particularly K-9 at the very beginning of the story.

I also liked how when they landed on the "Nowhere" planet...aka "Anthony" she referenced Gallifrey too. Jenny kept with canon quite a bit. Even the fez attempts to make an appearance. It wouldn't be 11 without the fez!

I was intrigued by the planet and the strange skeleton inhabitants. I will say, these Time Trips are entirely too short to get a really good story on, especially in the sci-fi genre. So the story does feel a bit rushed, but thankfully it does feel like a Doctor Who episode, which is what most people are looking for when there are several months to go before we get a new season. (Plus it is nice to have 11 even if it is only in short story form)
Profile Image for Jim C.
1,476 reviews24 followers
October 25, 2014
A short story that has Clara and the Doctor (portrayed by Matt Smith) on a planet which no record of the planet exists. This duo cannot let this mystery go unsolved and they are on their way to investigate.

I have read this author's other book in this universe and she has a good grasp of the characters. She does a good job with their portrayals and she includes their mannerisms that the reader has no problem envisioning the characters. I will say that Clara was a little off but not enough to detract from the book. I like Doctor Who because it has the sci-fi element but does relate to our world and has a touch of emotion. This short story accomplished all of these. Also, when reading a book from this universe one likes to find references to the television show and this novel has enough of them to keep the reader satisfied.

If you are a fan of this universe and you would like a quick read his short story is recommended.
Profile Image for Becky.
1,453 reviews78 followers
February 5, 2016
The wait is almost over! That's right, Whovians, the Doctor is set to return in August. Until then, BBC Books has a great new series of e shorts to tide us over!

The second installment in the series is from Jenny T. Colgan, who also recently penned the Doctor Eleven adventure Dark Horizons. In "Into the Nowhere" Doctor Eleven and Clara land on an unmapped and unnamed planet that immediately seems intent on killing them! They can leave if they can only get back to the TARDIS, but nothing intrigues the Doctor quite like the unknown...

These shorts are perfect little tastes to tide over any Doctor Who fan. Each one is a new little adventure from a great author, and each featuring a different doctor (no particular order to read them in either) - other installments include Nick Harkaway's "Keeping Up With the Joneses" and Cecelia Ahern's "The Bog Warrior" amongst others.
Profile Image for Trae Stratton.
Author 3 books44 followers
January 26, 2015
Tight, atmospheric tale that fits seamlessly in the Eleventh Doctor's Universe. It should be pointed out how the television show goes out of its way to establish "absences" in its timeline to allow and make these expanded universe tales more rewarding. The only drawback here is the use of some cliched dangers, but that is more than made up for by the expert handling of how they effect, and are ultimately handled/vanquished by the Doctor and Clara. I think the best thing that can be said of any Doctor Who book is that it would make for a great episode, and that is certainly true here. I find more and more that shorter Who stories like this are better than the longer ones that feature all the pointless running around that makes for great TV but tedious chapters...
Profile Image for Jess.
Author 5 books89 followers
February 7, 2014
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Randon House UK, Ebury Publishing and Jenny Colgan*

The Eleventh Doctor and Clara arrive on a planet that doesn't exist but they soon discover how dangerous it is.

There were parts of this story that I liked (seeing more of the Eleventh Doctor with Clara and certain points of the plot) and parts that I didn't (certain points of the plot and I didn't find the story as engaging towards the end) but overall this was an alright read.
Profile Image for Glennis.
1,149 reviews26 followers
January 21, 2014
I have to admit I am behind on my Doctor Who watching so I know nothing about Clara and 11 and their backstory. The TARDIS takes them to a planet that has no name and it looks like no one lives there. Of course there is a reason for this and it is a good story and the Doctor does his usual thing and upsets the apple cart on the planet, A good read for the fans and a nice way to dip into the series without having to worry about all the back history to try and catch.

Digital review copy provided by the publisher through NetGalley
Displaying 1 - 30 of 48 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.