Start by marking “Starcursed” as Want to Read:
Starcursed

Starcursed

In the ancient city of Ujjayani, the planets align to decide the fate of two starcursed lovers. Born under the curse of Mars, brilliant and beautiful Leelavati, daughter of the famed astronomer Bhaskarya Acharya of Ujjayani, knows she can never wed. But when her childhood playmate, the handsome and rich Rahul Nagarseth, returns from sea, their attraction is rekindled under ...more
Paperback, First, 284 pages
Published November 3rd 2013 by Rupa Publications

To ask other readers questions about Starcursed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starcursed

Nicole Hewitt
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Starcursed is a sweet YA historical romance that captured my heart. A story of truly star-crossed lovers.

The negatives:

The cover.
While I love the background with the moon and stars and a distant city, the illustrators managed to make the beautiful Leela look downright ugly. It's a shame, since I love to see a little diversity on my covers!

What I loved:

The setting.
I don't read historical fiction very often (unless
Stephanie
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What if your destiny was written in the stars? What if it wasn't good?
This is the reality for Leelavati in the twelfth-century, India. Her star-chart says that she is a Manglik and if she weds, her husband will die within the year. Leela has grown up knowing that fact and has focused instead on her education. Her father, an astronomer has given her the opportunity to learn mathematics, languages and of course, astronomy. Now that Leela is older, she even teaches some younger students; a privileg
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nikita by: Nandini Bajpai

Set in twelfth century India, Starcursed narrates the poignant love story of two people separated by the unfavorable alignment of the stars. Leela was born in such an alignment and so she is cursed. Rahul loved Leela and wants her despite this. But can they ever be together?

The first thing that attracted me to this book was the beautiful cover. Eye catching, the cover art is noteworthy and instantly piques our interest. The title is also very unusual whi
Maith
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Growing up, Rosemary Sutcliff was one of my favorite authors - her weaving of daily life into "History" was so masterful, it felt like one was there. Nandini achieves the same effect with Starcursed. Bhaskaracharya and Lilavati is a story that makes me sad, but Starcursed changed that for the better beautifully. I should mention, I bought the book for my 12-year old daughter, who refused to let me at it for over 2 weeks, as she read and re-read it constantly!

I love capable heroines, and Leela
ananya ranjan
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lovely book. It had that unique charm that I can rarely find and I keep coming back to it. I generally don't reread a book until at least a year after I've read it before, but I've gone through this one so many times I have it practically memorized. Definitely recommended.
Kjui 81
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the enigmatic Leelavati, after whom the great mathematician and astronomer Bhaskaracharya named his book on arithmetic. The book Leelavati is a part of Siddhanth Shiromani, The Crest Jewel of Astronomy. Many of the verses in the book are addressed to Leelavati who according to legend, was Bhaskaracharya’s daughter. Due to a short coming in her birth chart, Leelavati was destined to remain unwed. However, her father calculated an auspicious moment for her to wed and built a wat ...more
Ally
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.

Starcursed is such an adorable book. I wanted to awe all over it (without drooling). It's so cute with these two starcrossed lovers. I love the twists in this book, each one bringing the book closer and closer to its end. I didn't want to stop reading it, but alas all good things come to an end. It's simply the way of the world.

Starcursed is an spectacular book. It makes my eyes so starry-eyed. I fell in love with the book around the third chapter. It took
Shrewsbury Public Library
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoy historical fiction so I liked this story set in twelfth century India. Weaving the history and legend associated with Bhaskara Acharya, the mathematician, and his daughter Leelavati, the author has deftly created a story that would appeal to tweens and teens. The question, "Can we shape our own fate or are we helpless victims of destiny?," that has boggled philosophers and thinkers, is tackled by Bajpai through the actions of the main characters. Read the book to find the answer!

Posted
Medha
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clean and engaging historical fiction

The writer has very beautifully narrated a 12th century story in all its intricacies from a 15 year old girl's eyes. This is not a regular steamy nor dreamy romance, it captures scientific details in a very engaging way while taking us through a decent heart warming story.
I loved the way historical events are woven together in a trade background. This will make a beautiful movie.
A.
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So impressed by the amount of research that must have gone into this. Wonderful.
Maniparna Sengupta majumder

It’s not an easy task to weave historical facts with imagination to build up a story . Often the venture on the part of the author goes awry. But Nandini Bajpai ‘s Starcursed is an exception. Set on the backdrop of twelfth-century India it is a story where historical facts get mingled flawlessly with imagination giving rise to a sweeping tale , the tale of a girl who has that intelligence and knowledge to challenge and change the age old dogmas and doctrines .
B
RunedNephilumGirl
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
As a fan of YA, I wasn't really sure when I picked up Red Turban White Horse. That surprised me, because I really liked it, so I started to read this. I managed to finish it, and I also liked some parts, but it was a snoozefest. A huge snoozefest. Backwardness, superstitions... O.K. plot, wasn't really my taste. Too cliché, and in the legend, this isn't what actually happens, so well. I didn't like it that much.
Sorry, this book just wasn't my cup of tea....
Janhvi
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-book

I haven't read that many young adult historicals yet so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed reading Starcursed. Starcursed is the story of two star crossed lovers Leelavati and Rahul. Leela is the daughter of Bhaskarya Acharya of Ujjayani who was a scholar and an astronomer. There is actually a note in history which says that Leelavati was cursed by the stars for love. I found it all very intriguing.

In the book, Leelavati as a character was lovely. She was a sweet and int
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Leelavati, the daughter of the famed astronomer Bhaskarya Acharya of Ujjaini, is a beautiful woman with a thirst for knowledge and a bad birth chart when it comes to marital options. She is nurtured and encouraged to learn by her parents and her father allows her to teach at the observatory. Bhaskaya Acharya, worried for his daughter, builds a water clock so as to ascertain and auspicious moment that would allow his daughter to get married. But due to an accident, the clock stops working and the ...more
Sam Musher
It took me a little bit to get into this, I think because light historical YA romance is not my usual genre. But the characters and unusual setting pulled me through, and the second half of the book shifted enough from the predictable parental-disapproval romance form that I zipped through it in a single afternoon at Walden Pond.

I particularly appreciate that Bajpai didn't tie herself in knots over-explaining her 12th century Indian world. If you don't know that astrology is crucial to making ma
Sanchit Bhandari
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short Review
Starcursed is a Star shining bright to capture your imagination and sail you through to the mystical twelfth century India.

For full review along with some awsome quotes plz visit my blog Musings of Immortals
Srija
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I really like this book.
But a question plagues me? Was Rahul a name actually used in twelfth century India? Especially by the Jains? I have no knowledge about this, and the only site I have to rely upon for information right now is Wikipedia.
Lisa
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this journey into a time, a culture, and a world that was unfamiliar but still resonates in so many ways. Leela is a delightful character, who struggles between following her own path and the complex belief system that surrounds her, but always makes choices that I admire.
Kaavya
Jun 30, 2016
Shenwei
Dec 27, 2016
Rajita Handique
rated it did not like it
Feb 09, 2018
Indian Readers: Book Giveaway--Starcursed 7 24 Dec 14, 2013 09:28AM
Bloggers/Book Lov...: Book Giveaway--Starcursed 1 8 Nov 26, 2013 05:45PM
Indian Readers: Research (and icebergs!) 1 14 Nov 06, 2013 06:46AM
Indian Readers: STARCURSED contest and giveaway! 1 10 Nov 06, 2013 06:38AM
  • When Shall We Meet Again?
  • Haveli
  • Sewing Can Be Dangerous And Other Small Threads
  • The Way Home Looks Now
  • Eclair Goes Geocaching
  • Done With Men
  • The Earl and the Spinster (The Blue Rose Romances: The Culpepper Misses #1)
  • Hearts and Kisses: 12 Contemporary Valentine Novels and Novellas Boxed Set
Nandini Bajpai grew up in New Delhi, India, one of four sisters and many cousins, in a family that liked to read.

She lived and worked in India, Australia, and the US, before settling in the Boston area with her husband, kids, and a fluctuating number and variety of pets. Although she dabbled in corporate finance, business analysis, and fostering shelter animals, her first love is writing.
“It was a day of sun and shadow. That rarest of monsoon days when sunshine could suddenly streak through the mass of dark clouds to dance on the hills and rivers below. A day for surprises. I told myself I was ready for them.” 0 likes
“There are some advantages of being unmarriageable. If you have a liking for mathematics, you needn’t suppress it. If you loathe cooking, you needn’t cultivate it. And, above all, you needn’t worry about leaving your mother’s house for a stranger’s.” 0 likes