Start by marking “The New Oxford American Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The New Oxford American Dictionary

The New Oxford American Dictionary

"Oxford's American editors drew on its 200-million-word databank of contemporary English, plus the citation files of the Oxford English Dictionary. The result is an all-new and updated American dictionary, the crowning achievement in the Oxford line of American dictionaries and thesauruses." "To provide unprecedented clarity, the entries are organized around core meanings, ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 945077 pages
Published 2008 by Oxford University Press Inc. (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The New Oxford American Dictionary, please sign up.
John In my experience, this (and several other dictionaries) are automatically part of my (Amazon) Kindle library, and available not only for reading, but…moreIn my experience, this (and several other dictionaries) are automatically part of my (Amazon) Kindle library, and available not only for reading, but for performing definition lookups of selected words when reading other ebooks.
(less)

Start your review of The New Oxford American Dictionary
Patti
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
The plot really sucked! I couldn't follow it at all. :(
Jaime
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writesomething
Now THIS book knows how to define stuff.
blueMeridian
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a confession to make: I love dictionaries. I love to read dictionaries. Each entry is like a mini-story! The implications of a word's history!

Although a bit hefty for casual reading, The New Oxford American Dictionary covers an admirable portion of the English language, complete with numerous slang references (a warning for the purists) and many illustrative icons. Currently my favorite dictionary.
Madelyn
Jan 18, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I kinda put this on as a joke, but as I'm nearing the district spelling bee, I'm thinking I actually should read it.
bARRY
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it has a definition for "blah," although not for the word "janky."
Kristen Johansen
Aug 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My Kindle uses this dictionary. Very often, I am told the following....

"interpolator: n. a person who interpolates something."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS?!?!?
Particle_Person
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I really like the usage notes in this dictionary.
Rebecca
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ok I accidently opened this and now its saying I am reading this lol there needs to be a option to delete a book if you opened it by accident or you read a small amount and don't want to read it now or even if it's so awful you just can't read anymore. I don't like to review a book I haven't read all the way thru so putting an option for "have read so many chapters or pages but just not interesting" or something like that, just so you can get it off your list. I do look something up now and then ...more
Julia
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Look, a dictionary never wears the label "read" in the past tense. This is a valuable tool, and I frequently turn through its "pages" but, no, I have not "read" the entirety. Solid, easy to navigate, and dependable.
Gary Anderson
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
John Hawkins
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 423
How does one read a dictionary? It is in use. A bit wordy. I have not read it front to back.
Mrs Ross
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
it's the damn dictionary LOL
Donadee's Corner
Great book to have on your Kindle for reference!
Janet Denise Ross
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Date I finished this book: NEVER

Words are important regardless if by spoken word or written word, and it is best to know the meaning of a word in all uses, before you start putting it in your speech/writing patterns; also by knowing the meaning of words will you know the correct way to respond when they are aimed at you. The New Oxford is great to be on hand just to clarify a word or words that you might be a little foggy on or don't know at all, one should never just rely on others to convey
T.Kay Browning
My kid apparently gave the kindle dictionary two stars. My hope for the future is diminished.
Seth McClure
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Ending is weak. Especially the X's.
Patti Guerrero
Jan 25, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am not reading this book...........using as dictionary instead of one provided .
Steve Ros
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a dictionary.
Peter Cameron
A little dry
Kristi
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a dictionary. Pretty self explanatory.
Jane
Apr 04, 2018 added it
Don't know how this got on my list. I didn't add it.
Rob Grondahl
Loved it! Probably could have used an editor. I think a lot of it is just made up.
Dana Ross
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cover to cover page turner. I couldn't put it down.
Fascinating.
I read and reread it almost every day.
Jim Syler
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
The best dictionary of American English I've ever found. I wish they would kill most of the "personality" entries (I don't go to a dictionary to find out who Michael Jackson was), but that's just about the only flaw. This is the only prescriptive (as opposed to descriptive) dictionary of American English I'm aware of. This is the book I go to to find out what a word actually means, as opposed to how it's been used in popular culture in the last few years, which is how most dictionaries work.
Ella
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is in place of the book jolt that i've read twice now and can't put double ups on so yeah. Jolts (By bernard Beckett) is a good book. You should read it.
Autumn Stars
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book doesn't define me. LOL
Angieleigh
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
For some reason this ended up on my currently reading shelf. It's a dictionary, which means it's pretty much self-explanatory (ha ha).

My one issue, believe it or not, is the fact that it can't always find a definition of a word (It's the default dictionary on my kindle fire). I suppose I should find a different dictionary to put on my kindle(s) that can also define historical words or anything that isn't strictly American English.
Amber
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is the Dictionary on my kindle fire. I am not sure what happened to the dictionary that was previously on it. But I hate this one. It doesn't show the different tenses of the word and my last dictionary did. I really find that I miss that when I am editing a book on my kindle and need to check the tenses.
Cathy
This is a dandy book, however it somehow is put in my currently reading when I look up a word while reading it on my kindle. I am not really reading it, but it is helpful to look up words I am not familiar with yet.
Terri
May 16, 2017 added it
I'm not actually reading the dictionary...just using it to look up definitions of words.
« previous 1 3 next »
Kinds of books 1 1 Nov 18, 2019 07:20PM

• Oxford Dictionary of English
  • Webster's New World College Dictionary
  • Roasts with the Most: Never Be Unprepared Again
  • Memes: Ultimate Dankest Funny Memes Book Ever (Meme Books)
  • INSULTS - The Best Insults Ever - Win at any verbal argument!
  • The Well House II: The Revenge
  • Big Nate: The Crowd Goes Wild!
  • The Octunnumi Fosbit Files Prologue
  • Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus
  • Game On! (Big Nate)
  • The Elephant Tree
  • Merriam-Webster's Elementary Dictionary
  • Webster's Third New International Dictionary
  • Only Two Pills for This Pain?: Real Stories from a Small-Town ER
  • 现代英汉词典
  • America's Daughter (Dancing Soul Trilogy, #2)
  • Brownout - 666: or the Real Meaning of the Swastika
  • Middle School: Master of Disaster: (Middle School,  #12)

News & Interviews

Are you new to reading mysteries and thrillers and feeling overwhelmed by where to start? As all good detectives know, narrowing down the list ...
“ be emotionally affected by someone or something that one admires; become ecstatic: teenagers swoon over Japanese pop singers.” 3 likes
“laugh a minute very funny: it's a laugh a minute when Lois gets together with her dad. □ laugh out of the other side of one's mouth be discomfited after feeling satisfaction or confidence about something: you'd be laughing out the other side of your mouth if we were sitting in jail right now. □ laugh someone/something out of court dismiss with contempt as being obviously ridiculous. □ laugh oneself silly (or sick) laugh uncontrollably or for a long time. □ laugh something to scorn DATED ridicule something. □ laugh up one's sleeve be secretly or inwardly amused. □ no laughing matter something serious that should not be joked about: heavy snoring is no laughing matter. □ play something for laughs (of a performer) try to arouse laughter in an” 2 likes