Start by marking “Pinocchio” as Want to Read:
Pinocchio

Pinocchio

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  321 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
he perfect gift for all ages, Pinocchio as you’ve never seen him before: telling his own story through the master storyteller and award-winning author of WAR HORSE.

“Now – there’s no point in pretending here – I was, and still am deep down, a puppet. Everyone knows Pinocchio is a puppet. I reckon I must be just about the most famous puppet the world has ever known. But the
Published September 26th 2013 by Collins Childrens Books

To ask other readers questions about Pinocchio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pinocchio

Stuart Spendlow
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As someone who finds some of Morpurgo's work simply boring, I maintain this to be one of the freshest, exciting and most fun books that he's written. It's one of my all-time favourite versions of Pinocchio and it's destined to be read in an Italian accent! A must-read for any teacher wanting to engage boys too.
Lubna
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a delightful book written from Pinnochio's perspective. Michael Morpurgo really knows how to craft a tale. I read Pinnochio over and over as a child. It was one of my favourite books. Pinnochio's tale does the original book justice. MP has given the little wooden puppet a voice to tell his story the way it happened to him. Such a foolish puppet who had to go through his adventures in order to learn such valuable life lessons.
Suri
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: phinoccio
ok
Judy
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: confident 9 year olds upwards
Shame the cover is not yet loaded on here. It's a beauty!

Morpurgo has done a brilliant job of re-telling Collodi's tale. I have to admit I haven't read the original, but this book is very accessible and engaging; something it would have to be for me to make my way through it to the end. The story is, as most people know, one of those where the protagonist, an antihero, repeatedly does the wrong thing and never seems to learn anything from his mistakes. This is the focus of the story; the entire
Hobbes
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens

Pinocchio by pinocchio's point-of-view, a puppet who gets tempted by things he shouldn't and finds himself in plenty of trouble.

Morpurgo's retelling is delightfully dark and Pinocchio exhibits selfish traits like Collodi's original telling. He meets the Fox & Cat, the Good Fairy with blue hair, and journeys to the Land of Toys (and transforms into a Donkey), finally finding himself in the belly of the Gruesome Shark. Morpurgo keeps much of essence of the original tale, updates the vocabular
LilistarReads
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-reads
We all know the traditional story of Pinocchio, maybe from the book or from the classic Disney movie, but have we ever heard Pinocchio’s side of the story? This is exactly what Morpurgo brings to the table with this children’s story.
It is told in a way that Pinocchio is looking retrospectively on his life as a young puppet and the mistakes he made and adventures he had. The writing is beautiful, I love how the story just flows from adventure to adventure and that Pinocchio now realises that he h
Tracy Terry
Alas, the jury is still out as to quite what I think about the re-telling/re-imagining of books. Simply lazy, unoriginal story telling or a great way to introduce stories to a whole new generation of readers?

Told largely in the style of the original but from the point of view of an older (though not necessarily wiser) Pinocchio. I felt the first person narrative worked exceptionally well in bringing to life (if you'll excuse the pun) the wooden anti-hero of the title but it was the exquisite bla
Becky
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant re-working of the classic story. Michael Morpurgo has added his own style to the familiar story which has freshened it up and appeals to children and adults alike.

Emma Chicester Clark has done beautiful illustrations throughout the story which really bring the characters to life. This is one of those books that can be enjoyed at any age and will be kept to share with future generations.
Jeffrey
May 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing - Morpurgo has brought absolutely nothing to his vapid adaptation and ruins the ending entirely - I can't imagine why HarperCollins bothered publishing this silly book at all - why does Pinocchio need a Mama when he has the Blue Fairy? Why does he need to forgive the Cat and the Fox? Where's the Snail? Clark's illustrations are equally disappointing. This is a book that shows absolutely no understanding of Collodi's masterpiece and "updating" it is insulting
Etienne
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'histoire de Pinocchio raconter de son point de vue. Idée intéressante qui revisite le conte avec quelques libertés. Texte et images sont biens, sans être spectaculaire. Un bon livre, sans être un chef-d'oeuvre, il contient plusieurs morales bien implantées dans l'histoire et pourrait très bien séduire les plus petits. Bien fait!
Thebruce1314
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a simple retelling of the classic story. The book is aesthetically appealing, with glossy pages and covered in gold cloth. Not having read the original, I can't really make any comparisons, though it differs slightly from the Disney tale. I enjoyed it, though it's not Morpurgo's greatest work. This would be a fun book to share as a read-aloud.
Chrys
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lovely adaptation of the original, told by Pinocchio himself - this works really well as a lesson in learning that hard work and keeping promises are really important.
A definite recommend to both children and adults
Opticalillusion
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Michael Morpurgo's spin on this well known story. As a child I never liked the donkey bit and found it quite dark in places. This still remains. I'd like to see more spins on classical fairy tales by this wonderful author.
Lisa
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A dark re-telling of the tale. At times I was worried that it was too dark for my 6 year old son. He admitted it was scary, but dealt with it well. We've now read it twice. I'm not a fan myself, but my son likes it.
LaDonna
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We just finished this as a read aloud. Vertu well done. It was fun to find the bits that were different than the movie and have the older children realize that rotten children turn into donkeys or asses. lol
Suzanne Bhargava
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I forgot how upsetting this story can be, from a child's perspective. Dhari got so wound up every time Pinocchio broke a promise or made a bad decision. I almost gave up reading it to him! But he enjoyed the story, and I think Michael Morpurgo did a great job retelling it.
Clare Skeets
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children Bedtime
Shelves: read-2015
Loved it - read together with my daughter at bedtime and we both enjoyed it
David
Apr 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated reading this out loud to the kids. They gave me permission to skim the last ten chapters. Ugh.
haider ali
lolllllll
Tanja
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this retelling of one of my childhood favourites in Morpurgo's unique voice. Emma Chichester Clark, the illustrator, has done an excellent job to turn this book into a real gem.
Carol Ferro
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: folk-tales, fiction
Lovely book, well written and beautifully illustrated. A pleasure to read, for any age!
NutellaMobster
May 13, 2015
  • Soonchild
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • The Worst Princess
  • The Power of Three (Secret Breakers, #1)
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • The Parent Agency
  • The Wishbird
  • Her Mother's Face
  • Hamish and the Worldstoppers (Hamish and the PDF, #1)
  • How Hedley Hopkins Did a Dare...
  • The Tiger Who Would be King
  • Young Knights Of The Round Table (Young Knights Trilogy, #1)
  • Monsieur Lambert
  • The Dark Wild
  • The Music of Zombies (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #5)
  • Black Sheep
  • Alfie Bloom and the Talisman Thief (Alfie Bloom #2)
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the Second World War, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching an ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...