Start by marking “My Singapore Lover” as Want to Read:
My Singapore Lover

My Singapore Lover

2.91  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Young, Caucasian and single, Sara arrives in hot and sultry Singapore on a magazine assignment to detail the long-held attraction between western men and Asian women.

She soon becomes swept up in the exotic city, mesmerized by its glitter and glamour and seduced by promises of a career, wealth and success. However, a chance encounter followed by a charged love affair with
Published October 14th 2013 by Monsoon Books (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about My Singapore Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Singapore Lover

Eustacia Tan
It seems like this year, books set in Singapore have finally started to become popular. And I'm not talking locally published books. First there was Crazy Rich Asians (read my review here), and now, My Singapore Lover, which, to be honest, I requested because of the word Singapore.

Sadly, it seems like my search for an awesome book set in Singapore and published to a worldwide audience is not over. I didn't actually like this book very much.

Why? You ask. For one thing, the speech. At least for Cr
Jessie Dawson
Dec 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible read. Flitty, train of thought writing that doesn't follow a clear line of plot at all. I had zero interest in the outcomes of the characters dilemmas. The back of the book boldly puts itself into the same category as Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat, Pray, Love". This book is light years away from being anything remotely close to Gilbert's concise prose. Don't bother with this one!
Elizabeth Curington
I read this one since I am a sucker for a good travel story. And an emigrant living abroad, even better, right? Unfortunately this book did not deliver on its promise. I had to put it down and come back several times. It sadly lacked in romance or travel. Some of the descriptions were nice, but the narrative voice was often annoying and overshadowed any beautiful word pictures. I didn't care for the protagonist either. She was indecisive, whiny, and easily manipulated. That might have been okay ...more
Supriya
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked it up as it seemed to promise insights into the mindsets and thought explorations of Ang-mo (Western expats) as they discover Singapore. It's readable, but like any flighty novel it is written more like a train of thought rather than a thoughtful characterization and well-structured literary novel.
The author clearly knows her spas and way around Singapore's Orchard Road though; and largely, strikes me as an affectionate but rather surface-level exploration of a western expat trying to un
JG
My Singapore Lover, isn't a romance. In fact the title is more a symbol or a catalyst for change for Sara, the protagonist in the story. It details her life in Singapore, a blonde blue eyed young lady who has been traveling the world trying to find out her path. The series starts out as the ending and from a series of flashbacks and introspection she details how she got to that point. Its a well written novel, more introspective than narrative. The only jarring point would be the constant jumpin ...more
Nicki
Feb 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so bored by this I don't even have words. How disappointing. I recently visited Singapore briefly and loved it. I was really interested in reading the experiences of a western woman who moved there to work and fell in love with a local.
My first error was that I didn't read the blurb and I thought it was a true story like Eat, Pray, Love.
I soon realised it was fiction, and the only person Sara is in love with is herself and her "beauty".
Writing was dry and dull. Story was blah. Even the
Selina
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to know how a woman thinks in her inner thought and feelings? Amazing read on the mental struggle with relationships that we all dealt with one way or another. Judy Chapman has translated into words that I have never read before. Brilliant!
Joséphine (Word Revel)
I visited the library earlier, fully determined to check out the Singapore collection. Faced with the fiction shelf of Singapore literature, this one bright blue spine popped out, so I took it from the shelf. Turns out it was My Singapore Lover. While I didn't really know what it was about, I had seen copies of that book on display at bookstores. I thus started to read the book. 20 pages in, I already wanted to chuck it aside. Nothing really grabbed me but I didn't want to make snap judgements. ...more
Christine
Feb 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
I love stories of expat women abroad. It doesn't matter if the protagonists are Asian, Western, etc. - for me, there's something familiar and thrilling in any story of cultural exchange and discovery. I especially love it when there's a foreign love interest involved, which is why I picked up "My Singapore Lover" on a recent trip to the island state, and proceeded to recommend it based on the back summary alone ("charged affair with a charismatic Chinese Singaporean hotelier," "as with 'Eat, Pra ...more
Kayti
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed My Singapore Lover , it posed some interesting cultural questions and also offered an alternative voice to novels in a similar genre that do not question the buying of another pair of shoes or the choice of romantic partner. The character of Sarah was reflective, and she is considering her life and the choices she has made during a time spent in a hotel room, which for me was quite a clever set up. It's interesting to read the criticisms of the book, because I actually preferred it to ...more
Sanjeev Vaid
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book "My Singapore lover " just to kill time but when I started to read and as the story progressed I just could not stop reading it. The author has described Singapore and it's multicultural society, colourful festivals, spa's, it's traditional and modern lifestyle beautifully.

All the characters in the story are well connected and especially Sara's character is amazing and very motivating. Despite all the corporate politics ,social and economic problems she continued to follow he
Cheyenne Phillips
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
This is only given 3 stars because I think it is an interesting storyline and it is a new side of Singapore I personally haven't seen. However Chapman's writing is an unfortunate performance of the literary word in attempts to create this story. It is oversimplified and there are parts where it is clear she just tries too hard. For a Goodreads author, I was seriously unimpressed. The imagery, the Asian and Western mix and the flow of events of the story are not captured adequately enough. This f ...more
Jamie Garde
This books centers on Sara, a young, beautiful American expat working in Singapore. The plot revolves around Sara’s conflicting desires for artistic expression, business success and romantic love. Sara has a number of interesting, well drawn friends and an ambivalent relationship with a wealthy, married Singaporean lover.

While I enjoyed the scenes she spent with her friends, her scenes with her lover were less satisfying. The sensual and emotional connection with her lover did not touch me, so I
Marionne De
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read for enjoyment, relaxation and to escape into another world. My Singapore Lover allowed me this journey into an exotic world . I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing is classy and elegant, it held my attention through to the end. The touch of spirituality gave the depth that I look for in a novel. The scene was set well.
I was there, very much a part of it. This is the sign of a good writer.

I eagerly await the next novel .
Maven's Palate
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 'light' read and should not be judged so harshly.

What I liked most about this book is the protagonist's own journey towards creativity, spirituality and love. The struggle to choose between the trappings of a corporate career or following her own path was interesting for me as I have had to make these decisions many times. The book helped me to follow my own heart.
Janelle
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic holiday read taking me back to my time in Asia as a single, expat woman with unexpected snippets of '5o shades' style romance thrown in the mix. This was balanced well by a spiritual depth as Sara shares her inner conflicts and redefines success for her. I really enjoyed her journey to self and could relate big time. I consumed it in a day!
Rachel
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed My Singapore Lover. I have also been an expat for many years, and found the rich descriptive language beautiful. I read it over two rainy days and loved it. I guess everyone's taste is different, but for me, it's a gem.
Maya Sweeney-ridoux
Judy Chapman has a wonderful way of describing moods and smells, I was carried away in it. Actually I could see the story working really well in a T.V series, like a sex and the city Singapore style! I wanted more hence the T.V series!! Any chance of that happening Judy Chapman??
Cristy Elmendorp
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I normally do not read a lot of fiction but enjoyed reading this novel and felt it offered a view into how it is for a female expatriate living in Asia and trying to make her way in a foreign environment. An easy read and an opportunity to see different ways of being and living.
Audrey
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read it in three hours on the plane from HK to Korea. Picked it up because the title seemed unlikely, myself being a Singaporean and all. Found a few mistakes about my own country in the book- hello, where's the fact checker? overall, superficial.
andie