Start by marking “Vanished from Dust (Vanished from Dust #1)” as Want to Read:
Vanished from Dust (Vanished from Dust #1)

Read Excerpt

Vanished from Dust (Vanished from Dust #1)

A CHILL RUNS THROUGH HIS SKIN AS THE PHANTOM APPEARS.

HE SEES THEM EVERYWHERE . . .

Eric Stark is not insane. Or at least he doesn’t think so. He wishes everyone in Dust, Texas felt the same way. But that’s not going to happen since the whole town thinks he’s crazy. Why didn’t he keep his mouth shut?

No one understands. Eric is alone as he battles his sanity in a town of to
Published October 16th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published September 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Vanished from Dust, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
David Dietz I can't speak for Shea personally, of course. But, I believe he is working on part two. And, if all goes well, I will be narrating it!

Wart Hill
Dec 06, 2014 Wart Hill marked it as gave-up  ·  review of another edition
Dnf at 7%

Bad writing - all the characters feel like little effort was put into them, especially side and one off characters. The bullies are like cartoon bad guys. The town drunk KNOWS THINGS because convenient. The MCs are annoying.

Annoying Narration - the MCs are 14, but the voices the narrator does sound closer to 10. The narrator only gives certain characters southern accents...it's set in Texas.

And I am two chapters in and both bored and annoyed.

I received a free copy in exchange for am hon
Robin Chambers
Oct 18, 2014 Robin Chambers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was first attracted to this book by the opening – I tend to identify with children who have something “different” about them and are bullied in consequence (I can’t think why!). I also thought the name of the town was clever, with its echo of “ashes to ashes, dust to dust”. Then the seeing of phantoms and a parallel dimension in which aliens could interact with humans unbeknown to most of them reminded me of Stephen King’s Insomnia (one of my favourite books by him).

I confess to finding the fi
Michael
Dec 13, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I received a free audible code for the audiobook version for an honest review: Vanished from Dust is an interesting story populated with characters we barely understand and don't know enough about to root for. Some of the dialogue is very basic and is populated by he said, he said, he said to the point where it was distracting. Without giving too much away, some of the concepts and language used seemed above the ages of the main characters. I think the main idea of the story is really cool and t ...more
BookLoversLife
DNF at 55%. I have to put this down. To be honest its been so boring and Ive struggled to even get that far. Listened to the audio and found myself drifting at so many parts. Its a definite DNF.
Ailsa
Nov 16, 2014 Ailsa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my link text

Summary (in my words)

This is a story about a fourteen year old boy from Texas, called Eric. Eric isn’t your ‘usual, normal’ child and is constantly bullied by others at his school. One day he is being beaten by a bully when the new boy at school, Kyle steps in to defend Eric. From this point on they become instant friends, but Eric is hiding something from his one and only friend.

Eric is different. He can see and communicate with ghosts.

One night (while Kyle is sleeping over at Eric’
Amie Gaudet

Production Date: November 25, 2014

Genre: Young Adult

Publisher: Shea Norwood

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

* I received a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

Its the 1980s. Nintendo is the newest thing and small towns are still considered safe places for kids to roam free. Eric and Kyle are in the eighth grade and are best friends.

Kyle had
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

Vanished from Dust is an interesting, suspenseful YA paranormal mystery novel with a few surprising twists. I was eager to read it from the moment I read the synopsis, and needless to say, I wasn’t dissapointed.

Eric, our protagonist, sees things that can’t be real. The other people in town think he’s insane though, and they try to stay as far away from him as possible. All, except Kyle, the new kid in town, who wants
Niki
Aug 10, 2014 Niki rated it it was amazing
A small town in Texas, home of Eric Stark a fourteen year old boy that is bullied after he told people he sees phantoms, not long after Kyle Barret moves into the town and he defends Eric, that is the start of a heart warming friendship. Eric and Kyle find out that there is something going on in the town, they decide to find out what it is and try to solve it.

It all starts when Eric sees a dark shadow in the abandonment theater in town, one night the boys decide to investigate, soon dark beings
Rebecah
Aug 08, 2014 Rebecah rated it it was amazing
What a wonderfully strange and inventive premise. It is a great mix of science fiction and the pain and joy of adolescence. The ending is shocking and will invest the reader in the series. It is incredibly creepy for a YA book and it elicits a fear response that can compare favorably to some of the best of Stephen King's writing. It is incredibly realistic for a book about an alternate reality and there is enough room in this storyline for many interesting books.
Jean
Oct 30, 2013 Jean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.

I read this in one sitting. I loved this book and hope there is another in the works! It's well written, is a great story, and has interesting characters. I won't go into details because I'll get carried away with spoilers.

All I will say is, this is seriously a book you really need to read!
Ellen Christian
Aug 05, 2014 Ellen Christian rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy young adult fiction, I definitely recommend Vanished from Dust by Shea Norwood. It does touch on a few sensitive topics so I might reserve this for younger high school kids rather than pre-teens. It’s an easy read that I had a hard time putting down. Definitely a great book and I cannot wait for the next one!
Peggy
Nov 13, 2014 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~Received For Honest Review~

Enough suspense to keep you turning the pages. Enough to keep you guessing when you think you have it all figured out. Enough to keep you wrapped up into this book. Shea Norwood took a plot and characters and made them into a easy to follow, easy to read, fast paced thrill!

Elle
Dec 18, 2013 Elle rated it really liked it
My students really enjoyed the mystery and suspense this book has to offer. A definite page turner for students to read.
Kim Bishop
Jan 29, 2015 Kim Bishop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Audiobook provided by the Narrator for an honest review**

Book review: Eric Stark is not your typical 14-year-old in Dust, TX; he see's phantoms! This little tidbit gets poor Eric picked on and made fun of non-stop by his peers at school until Kyle moves into town. They becomes best friends despite the rumors about Eric, and Kyle stands up for him when the bullies circle. Once Eric reveals his secret to Kyle, they go off on the adventure of a lifetime to save the future of their friends, family
Kathryn Svendsen
Aug 04, 2014 Kathryn Svendsen rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense, teen
Eric Stark is a seventh grader who is picked on by classmates because he used to see phantoms. Now they call him crazy train Eric. He only has a couple of friends at school, Josh, a fat kid who still calls his mother mommy that Eric rally doesn't like all that much and his new friend Kyle Barrett.

No one but Eric can see these phantoms that Eric sees and so they think he is either crazy or very imaginative. His parents have taken him to see a psychologist. He has seen the creatures since he was 8
Denise Van plew
Oct 06, 2014 Denise Van plew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went into this novel not really knowing what to expect but on a recommendation and reading blurb. First off I most generally read novels with adults as the main characters with adult genre so this was a breath of fresh air. You go into meeting right away Eric and the torment he is receiving from fellow classmates is due to what he sees. They also say he is "going off the rails,crazy train" Like mentioned in the book right away I think of the song from years ago. But soon a new kid sticks up fo ...more
zapkode
{My Thoughts} – Eric is a teachers son that has an unusual talent. He can see phantom like creatures and have been able to since he was around eight years-old. A lot of the other kids in his town make fun of him and call him “Crazy Train Eric” because of it. He does however, have a few friends: Josh is a oversized boy with a stutter that still needs to grow up and mature a lot and then Kyle who his first few days after moving to town had stood up for Eric and they have been friends since.

Eric an
V Nerd
I was gifted this audio book for free in exchange for a full and honest review, thank you David :○)

Okay so 1st of all the narration, it was good, not brilliant, but okay.
I could clearly distinguish the different characters and voices and I wasn't scratching my head wondering who was talking.

The book?
Hmmm I have to say that it wasn't my favourite I'm afraid, it was too young adult for me, I love YA but the tone of the book made it feel like it was a couple of very young boys, and it was they w
The Book Beacon
Mar 15, 2016 The Book Beacon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Vanished from Dust. The media kit includes the following: The Vanished from Dust series is perfect for anyone who craves a hair-raising thriller packed with mystery and suspense. This paranormal story for young adults can be compared to Stand by Me, mixed with Odd Thomas, and a twist of The Dark Tower. I agree completely.

This was a fun adventure/ coming of age/ paranormal mystery story with enough plot twists and suspense to keep any reader's attention. The characters are very w
Melissa Haggerty
Having only read Odd Thomas in the above listed book comparisons, I was still very interested in reading Vanished From Dust. I was disappointed as I was quickly pulled into a story about a boy who could see something no one else could. The small town setting with small town gossip was perfect to build up Eric's need for answers. I loved how realistic the characters were for the time that the book was set. Parts of the book made me smile as I could relate them to my own childhood.

Vanished From Du
Pamela
I'm stopping at about half-way through. The writing isn't very well done, mediocre at best. The audio isn't helping at all. It is a short book, but still there are so many other books, time is too short to continue.

I did get this book for free from the narrator. Unfortunately, I didn't like the narration either. There were a few points it sounded unprofessional. For instance one chapter started with an "oops" and a little sound that could have been edited out. The various boys all sounded the sa
Leslie Fisher
This was an exciting book with a perfect set up at the end for another book in the series. Fans of time travel and the supernatural will like this. The main characters, 14-year-old outcast boys, are likeable and well-developed. I liked the portrayal of their friendship. I listened to the Audible audio version of this book narrated by David Dietz. He does a good job with the character differentiation and the stuttering of one of the characters. The pacing was good and the story was exciting. This ...more
Hanna Krivinchuk
Vanished??

This book did keep me intrigued. Kyle and Eric are your normal high school boys sneaking out and having fun. But Eric he can see things? Kyle doesn't care he's friends with him anyway. The boys are just having another night out and then something strange happens, what is it, I don't want to ruin the book for anyone but it will make you want to know how everything ends.
Deedra
Dec 24, 2014 Deedra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished Vanished From Dust bk 1.I TOTALLY enjoyed this book!The storyline was interesting,and though it may be considered a YA book,this A liked it a lot.David Dietz did a grand job with all the voices.Poor Erik Stark is always called crazy,he's not,really.He sees things and this leads to a rather unwanted adventure.At least I now know why I'm tired all the time.
Kristina Trawick
So far so good, but....

I live in Texas, have for years. Grew up in Colorado, lived in CA, PA, OH and AZ. Never, ever have I, or anyone I have seen, put ketchup on a burrito. Know the characters are boys, but .... Good story line thus far, but sheesh, really?
Ted Powell
Jul 31, 2014 Ted Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very unique and exciting.

Totally entertaining. Hopefully there will be more. Based in the title, there are supposed to be more. I will definitely purchase them. Theocpowell@gmail.com
Toni
Sep 21, 2014 Toni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon
Angela
Mar 20, 2015 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok. I had a hard time getting into it. Found it pretty slow going, I am not going into it but I did not like the ending, it felt unfinished to me.
Paula Beck
I kept reading, figuring it would get really fun when the action started. That was when it didn't get really fun.
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Update Cover 3 21 Oct 08, 2015 06:37PM
Audiobooks: YA Paranormal Thriller Seeking Reviewers 20 69 Mar 04, 2015 02:51PM
Audio-Bibliophiles: YA Paranormal Thriller Seeking Reviews 10 22 Mar 04, 2015 12:35PM
  • Sins of the Fallen (Sins of the Fallen #1)
  • Lost in Starlight (Starlight Saga #1)
  • The Keeper and the Alabaster Chalice (The Black Ledge Series, #2)
  • Hansel and Gretel Are Dead (Zombie Fairy Tales #2)
  • Ellie Stanton (The Heller Park Series)
  • A Life, Freed
  • Devil's Frost (The Spellspinners of Melas County, #3)
  • The Fractured: Maggie (Fractured, #2; Blemished, #2.5)
  • Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb
  • Through Your Eyes ( I Am Alive book 1 Episode #3 )
  • Starlet's Man (The Starlet, #0.5)
  • 4 to 16 Characters
  • Breed of Envy
  • Adrenaline Rush (Christy, #1)
  • One Smart Cookie
  • Bitten By Deceit (Hadley Werewolves #1)
  • Streaks of Blue
  • Blood, Milk, and Chocolate - Part Two (The Grimm Diaries, #4)
Shea Norwood is an emerging author and native of West Texas that currently lives in the DFW area with his wife and son.

He was drawn to writing at an early age and recently rekindled this passion after dusting off a decade-old manuscript, titled Vanished from Dust. Of course, after ten years of collecting dust, (no pun intended) the story needed a lot of work. The fictional town of Dust is loosely
More about Shea Norwood...