Start by marking “Different Strokes” as Want to Read:

(Wet Olympians)

When his regular masseuse is called away on a family emergency, Tomas does not expect Darren, her temporary replacement, to be such an attractive distraction. Tomas has always been a serious, no-nonsense type of swimmer; after all, elite competition leaves no room for unprofessional conduct. However, he finds it extremely difficult to stay on the right side of the professi ...more
Published December 11th 2013 by Less Than Three Press LLC (first published December 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Different Strokes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Different Strokes

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

Me likey! This was a very cute debut novella from author Nico Jaye. I thought a few things could have used improvement but it was sweet and hot and a very enjoyable short.

I'll start with the things that I liked. I have a weakness for awkward main characters- you know, the guys that stumble over themselves or have social anxiety, stuff like that. I loved how Tomas was a tough nut to crack, stoic to a fault, and socially insecure, though he seemed so together on the outside. I though
SheReadsALot

Nico Jaye's "Different Strokes" is a sweet short story between a socially awkward competitive swimmer Tomas Lundquist and a massage therapist, Darren Wright. The story take place a little over a year but we get vignettes of the men interacting for a few of the major holidays (I liked that). I'm a fan of those taciturn heroes that sometimes struggle to let their true feelings known. Tomas was ideal with his looks and demeanor. (I see you Triple B aka Big Blonde Beast)

I mean seriously, have you se
Sara
Different Strokes how do I love thee…let me count the ways…Wait, is that too flowery? Too fluffy to be the beginning of a review? Deal with it. This was exactly what I needed at exactly the right time. I had this book pre-ordered already but I am a greedy selfish cow so when I saw it on NetGalley I jumped on this baby and was tickled when I was approved.

From the moment I met Tomas I was giddy. I loved being in his head and when this gorgeous man sees Darren I was a goner.
In a season of miracle
Sheri
I like sweet.
I like fluff.
I especially like sweet fluff.
Sometimes I crave sticky syrupy romance. I’ll be the first to admit it…I’ve got a sweet tooth and I’m proud of it. Tomas and Darren easily slip into this dreamy wish come true niche.
If you’re looking for angst, stress or heartbreak…
this is not for you.
If you are like me and wistful beautiful tales of falling in love tickles your fancy....than this is definitely what you need.

Tomas
Focused, determined, and disciplined…he’s a man with one th
Ami
Hmmm ... for the most part, this novella was quite fluffy sweet. But at the same time, it also fell on the "more telling, less showing" spectrum of writing, which wasn't particularly a favorite of mine.

I especially loved Darren, he was adorable with his insecurities – that he thought Tomas was out of his reach. I loved how he talked to himself to stay in control when he had to touch Tomas's body to give the swimmer a massage. And I loved his friendship with his 'brother-from-a-different-mother'
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
Recommended to JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust by: Anne
******3.5 "BACK(door) STROKE" STARS *********

The title definitely has my name written all over it. God, how I wished the story had screamed my name A LOT more often.......Yes, I'm a stroking addict.....whom shall never seek treatment.

Enjoyable , light hearted, cutesy story . Great for a m/m newbie-----> which I am NOT. If you're looking for quick, entertaining, tingly, but not ready to jump someone's bones horny type read, this is the book for you :-)

P.S. Thank you Anne for my fabulous gift
Ann
I love Nico's words. No surprise there and this story was no exception.
Darren is so obviously sweet and loving, but I really liked Tomas. Sure, he was a hardass to Darren at first, but he's lived his entire life as an incredibly focused and competitive person. With all his training, he doesn't have the luxury of a normal dating life and not just anyone would be a match for him.
Darren was the best gift Tomas could ever receive and he could finally let go of some of that control and enjoy life o
Jo
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. There is no way I can be unbiased because I love Nico Jaye's writing. She has a way creating characters that even when they vary they all have an underlying sweetness to them that just makes you want to take them home and spend an evening with them in any way you can. They are a roaring fire on a cold day with a cup of hot chocolate the kind with a mountain of whip cream…mmmmmmm…. That is how this book makes you feel. Her writing is funny and real. As I was reading the book th ...more
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hi guys,

I just got a copy of this book for an honest review and thought I'd read the first chapter to get a feeling for the story, before going to bed. It's now 5:15 am in Germany and I just finished the book, even though I have to be up early tomor... today. Oops. I could probably just stay up ;)

Well, anyway, since I'm here and you may be here?- I'm just gonna share my though right now while the reading is fresh ;)

If you want to see more of my reviews, please check out http://brandilynreviewsbo
Karen
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mm
Ok first off confession time, I bought this book because it was written by one of my friends here on GoodReads and I've always believed in being supportive of my friends. So I bought the book. Now having said that here is where the support ends and the honesty as a reader comes in.

I loved this story, Tomas is a serious competitive swimmer and his commitment to his sport is unwavering. This dedication has taught him to be single-minded in his focus when he wants something and until now being the
Sunny
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Heather's review matched my thoughts perfectly. My own one word summary? Adorable. Yes, this was a nice fluffy blanket, perfect for warm snuggles.

I would have liked more showing, especially with the massages, but I thoroughly enjoyed what we did get to see. I also liked getting each MC's POV. Darren stole my heart without any effort, but Tomas would have been a harder sell if I didn't know his thoughts as well.

My main complaint: It was too short!

3.5, rounded up :)

Lori
Shelves: um-authored
My expectations were high with this book, having read some previous shorts from Nico Jaye I knew I enjoyed her writing style and her sneaky sense of humour. I knew I liked her characterisation and plot-lines, but had I set my hopes too high?

No way, she didn't let me down. It had all I would want from a novella. Two great characters who were different enough so as to be individual instead of interchangeable, a story-line that I hadn't read a million times (I loved the masseuse idea - someone touc
Pjm12
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A light, quick, flirty read with two contrasting, adorable main characters. Because of Tomas' social inadequacies, Darren is a bit puzzled as to his intentions.

The angst is easily smoothed over, the narrative moves directly and the HEA is lovely.

This copy was provided by the publisher via Netgalley with thanks. Out December 11.
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This was cute and pretty much angst-free. Tomas, a competitive swimmer, meets Darren at a Christmas party thrown by Tomas' massage therapist. Tomas finds himself drawn to Darren, but Darren is spoken for. Fast forward a few months, and Tomas finds Darren (now single!) on his doorstep, massage table in hand.

I enjoyed the story and found both MCs (socially awkward, uptight Tomas and kind, optimistic Darren) to be endearing. I would have liked the story to be longer (much longer). There was a lot
Nico Jaye
Oct 16, 2013 marked it as wrote-it-o__o-gasp  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Second edition on Amazon and Kindle Unlimited! :D

P.S. And new coverrrr! ^__^
AnnaLund
Goodreads TOS-compliant review: (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are).
"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”
For my honest and true view of the same book, please read …MORE

DISCLAIMER: As of today my reviews will all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I change
Brandilyn
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, read-2013
See full review here:

I adored this book. It is the story of unrequited lust at first sight and slow burn romance as told in 6 vignettes. The vignette style can be done well and can be done badly. Jaye does it right. Each vignette is a pivotal moment in the relationship between Tomas and Darren with enough clues to what happens in between, but the monotony of day to day interactions is left to the reader’s imagination.

When Tomas first meets Darren, He feels
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*

This is such a cute little story.

We have Darren, a nice happy guy. He's a massage therapist and jumps in for his business partner and Tomas's usual therapist when she is called away on a family emergency.
Tomas is goal driven, he has to be, to be such a successful athlete. So once he decides to woo Darren, he plans.
The problem is that although he really is a sweetheart, and wants to do it all the right way, he doesn't understand how it might look to Darren.
I love when stories have both POV an
Natasha
4 CUTIE-PATOOTIE STARS!

How did I forget to write a review for this? Oops. I read it a while ago. My bad.

My favorite Nico Jaye book, definitely. Cute, loving, and surprisingly a fantastically fluffy read. I usually don't like fluff. Of any sort. I even like hairless cats.
But this book was great.

It had just the right amount of sexual tension, teasing, playfulness, no one doing stupid shit, and hotness.
Loved the characters. They were adorable and had big personalities.

Job well done. Stamp of appro
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Jaye kinda let me down with this one. The build up was awkward, the romance stilted, the ending completely unsatisfying.
Sandra
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very cute! Full review in booklikes and my blog.
Kelly
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Nico Jaye

This book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review via the MMRG Don’t Buy My Love Program.

Thomas is an Olympic swimmer with zero social skills. When his regular massage therapist goes to stay with her sick mom, Darren steps in for a few weeks.

There is a clear attraction on Darren's part but Thomas runs like warm and cold respectively.

This is good for a short read, but I wasn't feeling Thomas. There's shy and there's robotic. Darren was mor
Chris, the Dalek King
I have to say this was probably the most problematic bingo category i have ever had to deal with. I mean, it shouldn't have been this hard, I only had to find an author with a 'N' name. But for some reason nothing was striking me as the least bit interesting. I must have tried out ten different books before I basically threw up my hands in defeat and just went with the one that was shortest, out of the books I already owned.

And I was pleasantly surprised by what I got in return.

Tomas does not do
Debra
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a cute, very short story. I liked the characters and the dual points of view. Both men have their insecurities about a potential relationship and it takes a while for them to get their act together. I just felt that I wasn't really as pulled in to the story as I wanted to be. There was more telling of what happened, then actually seeing the men together, but the times they were together were alternately sweet and hot.
Connie
I was just browsing around GR and I came across this blog post and I totally felt in love with these boys, how cute are they?

well, as cute as the cartoons are the boys in the pages are even cuter.

Tomas is so competitive, focus, one thing in mind and that is swimming, get to Rio Olympic games in his best shape.
Darren is just so lay back, totally different, focus yes, but relax. He loves his job and enjoys doing it but he also has a life he enjoys living.

And that is exactly what he needs to show T
Jeannie Zelos
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Different Strokes. Nico Jaye
Review from Jeannie Zelos Book Reviews.
I love the build up to a romance, that whole is he/she interested...the way looks and glances, and simple touches can say so much when well written. Books don't need to have in your face graphic sex to be sensual and erotic, and this little novella is a perfect example. Its a great short – I’m not usually a fan of novellas but sometimes they're perfect, if you've just a short time or you're a slow reader for example. I enjoyed t
Lisa J.
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed all of this author's previous works, but I just couldn't get into this one. There was a lot of telling, and I felt like I was viewing this relationship from a distance. Just when the couple finally has a meaningful conversation on page, the book was over. The Olympic swimmer aspect was something different, and I liked how the book was broken up into vignettes of sort; the birthday one was my favorite.
Didi

This is a cute story, but I find it just... okay.
Tomas was very by the book and aloof kind of guy, while Darren a bit on the clueless and shy side. Their slow budding romance was awkwardly progressing, which was part of the charm. Still, the story flow felt stilted somehow and didn't click with me the way I thought it would.
Rissa
I always enjoy reading this author's stories!
I liked how Tomas and Darren got to know each other first and then exploded! ;) No heavy angst, actually very little to none. Just a sweet story about a guy super focused and the guy who made him let go! ♥
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Newton's Laws of Attraction (Newton's Laws of Attraction, #1)
  • Carte Blanche
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • Fighting Dirty (Fighting Dirty, #1)
  • The Marrying Kind (Owen & Nathan, #2)
  • Deep in the Count
  • Gaudete
  • Fourth and Long
  • Genius and the Jock (Men of Holsum College, #7)
  • Fight to Remember (Trueblood #5)
  • Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • All In with the Duke (Gambling on Love, #1)
  • The Star Man
  • The Working Elf Blues
  • An American Homo in Paris
  • Prize Package
  • Hooch & Cake (Special Delivery, #1.5)
  • Going Up
Nico Jaye is a fan of all things HEA and has dragged her romance collection along for her moves from San Francisco to Los Angeles to Chicago to New York and back. She thinks reading is awesome and loves that she can hang out night after night with crinoline-wearing debutantes, brawny firemen in suspenders, and werewolf shifters with Scottish brogues. An overall feline enthusiast, Nico secretly (or ...more

Wet Olympians (2 books)