Start by marking “A Change of Plans (Safe Harbors, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Change of Plans (Safe Harbors, #1)

A Change of Plans

(Safe Harbors #1)

When Lyn sets off on her supposedly uncomplicated and unromantic cruise, she never dreams it will include pirates. All the 25-year-old Colorado high school teacher wants is to forget that her dead fiancé was a cheating scumbag. What she plans is a vacation diversion; what fate provides is Braedon, an intriguing surgeon. She finds herself drawn to him: his gentle humor, his ...more
Published September 28th 2013 by Emerald Arch Publishing (first published May 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Change of Plans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Change of Plans

Start your review of A Change of Plans (Safe Harbors, #1)
Donna Weaver
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is weird for me to be writing this since I'm the author. What I'm reviewing is the audiobook. I'm a huge audiobook lover, and I'm picky about narrators.

As authors, we create this world in our minds. We know how we think each of the characters are saying things, the emphasis they give.

I've heard many other authors say they hate hearing their books in an audiobook. So, it was with some trepidation that I started listening to Karen Kruper's interpretation of MY characters.

It was such a relief
Meredith Mansfield
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down, even when it made me cry. Not very many books make me cry, but this one did.

Terrific.
Kim
This action romantic suspense was so much deeper, serious, realistic, emotionally heart wretching, and filled with incredible adversity for the characters than I expected, before the beautiful worth the journey HEA "fairy tale" ending finally happens. I just LOVED it, but if you are only into sunshine and rainbows super happy escape romance this isn't for you.

Violence: There are deaths related to the pirate attack kidnapping by gun fire and drowning. There are injuries of characters due to
Coco.V
Mar 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie

🎁 FREE on Amazon today (3/2/2020)! 🎁
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
A Change Of Plans is a remarkable story of love, loss, and survival. It is about healing when the past hurts you and you have no where to go and nothing to do. It is about taking chances on new loves and allowing someone in when there is so much pain and hurt. What do you do when your heart has been broken by the one person you trusted? How do you heal from a betrayal like that?

Lyn is going on a cruise to try and forget her past. She wants to have a great time and make new memories that will not
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Lyn and her best friend Elle take a cruise as the year anniversary of Lyn's finacees death and betrayal approach. Lyn is not interested in romance...period. She is still stunned and suffering from trust issues.

Enter the dashing Doctor. Braedon gives her that sparkly, tingly feeling with just a touch. She is afraid of a fairy tale and shipboard romance and runs. Unfortunately (fortunately in my opinion) you can't run far on a ship.

A run in with pirates and being stranded on an uninhabited island
Zoe and the Edge
This wasn't for me. Long-winded and uninteresting, even the promise of pirates could not convince me to read on. The characters just sat wrong with me. The hero did everything right but he was just so unattractive I couldn't imagine reading a whole book trying to fall in love with him.
I think it really says something that me, a lover of kickass heroines, could put a book like this down. Elle whipped Braedon but the book still didn't hold my attention.
I've given this book a 2 star rating
Tasha Seegmiller
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction
This is a sweet story about opening up a heart after it has been betrayed, plus some cruise line luxury, a little pirate adventure, and a story that reminded me of Swiss Family Robinson. It is a quick read, but your heart will be a little happier at the end.
Suey
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an adventure! Part cruise romance, part survival story. I totally enjoyed it.
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
3.5

I saw another review on Amazon label this as Love Boat meets Pirates of the Caribbean meets Castaway meets Blue Lagoon meets Man vs. Wild and thought that was pretty accurate. The overall story was a lot of fun, totally unique from anything Ive read before. I appreciate the change and at times was totally sucked into the story. At other times I thought the execution fell a little flat. Some of the dialog and behavior seemed unrealistic.

The book opens with two best friends going on a cruise.
❀ Crystal ✿ -
*ARC received from author in exchange for an honest review*
For most of the book I was engaged and interested and really enjoying everything. However, after awhile the time each time jump left me feeling off kilter and separated from the story. I still loved it I guess I just wish there was more... I understand with everything that happens its inevitable to showcase a long time in any other way but for me, the transition was not as smooth as I would have liked. I think honestly, I would have
Wendy Knight
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start off by saying I am a fantasy girl. Contemporary romance isn't my genre, but a few sentences in and I was hooked. I loved it.

There is a lot of emotion in this book - pain, healing, hope, despair. I don't cry, hardly ever, but I was bawling through a lot of this. The main character, Lyn, is hurting after her fiance broke her heart -- after death, so she never even got any closure. Braedon is adorable, and they have a connection right off that left me swooning. But she pushes him away.
Cas Peace
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Change of Plans is one of those books that grabs you by the heart and doesn't let go. Ms Weaver gets right into the mind of her characters so you feel you are living and breathing their lives. This book has everything - romance, adventure, tenderness, hope, heartbreak, loss, and deep, abiding love. It's a rollercoaster ride that you won't want to end. I really hope there's a sequel!
Andrea
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
I decided to read this book because it had high ratings but oh god it's missing such big part of the story line and the plot like the author skips parts and then they're suddenly engaged and getting married it makes no sense. I had high expectations for it but i was honestly so disappointed
J.J.
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. A little too quick with the fast forwarding and everything happening. Not bad; I'm just a little perplexed and not sure how I feel.
S.A. Larsen
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to S.A. by: I would like to thank the author for providing me with a copy of this book for an unbiased review.
"Wind-swept tale of past pains and longing forced to change by unforseen dangers. The main characters, Lyn & Braedon, add heart and soul with their moving glances and silent embraces."

From the moment these two meet, it's obvious attraction has struck them both. Braedon is curious and treads lightly. Lyn constantly tries to talk herself out of her budding preoccupation with Braedon. Weaver does a wonderful job laying down a solid foundation from the start, keeping their dialog real and
H.
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a rollicking book and I enjoyed it greatly. It was well-written and entertaining. I would love to have read this one at the beach this summer.

I wish I could say that when I was on my own cruise ship I would have welcomed the embraces of a hunk such as Braedon, but I was only four. For me, just keeping dinner from erupting all down the side of the ship would have been agreeable. But for school teacher, Lyn North, Braedon Randolph would figure large in both her cruise and her life.

Despite
Jacob Cooper
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well...I don't read romance. Okay, a lot of the books I read (or listen to, in this case) have romance in them but they are thrillers, sci-fi, or fantasy (which is the genre I write). After my wife scolding me for not having quite the romance writing chops she'd like to see, I decided to go on a hunt for clean romance and sort of "study it". Right, well, it's hard to study something when you keep getting distracted by the story. A Change of Plans is an endearing tale that's part Cast Away, part ...more
Katherine Cowley
A Change of Plans is not an ordinary romance that takes place on a cruise shipafter all, in addition to normal cruise fare (sightseeing, formal dinners, and the like) it includes sharks, pirates, and a shipwreck. First and foremost, the book is a beautiful romance between a woman who has been hurt to the point of breaking and a man who wants to help her pick up the pieces of her life and put them back together. The book is filled with breathtaking scenes of romance and action-adventure, but it ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This review just goes to show you what a good blog tour can do. I saw this book all over the blogs for a blog tour and I read lots of great reviews for it so I decided to buy it. I was a little ahead in my review reading and decided to take a few days to read some books that were in my "feel good zone". This is one I decided to read because I always head to clean romance when I want to escape.

Ummm Hummm. There was some good tension and build up. Good romance. I love how the story unfolded and
Adrienne Monson
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a summary of this book before I bought it (who doesn't?), so I knew that the main characters get stranded on an island. Besides that, I knew to expect romance.
When you first start the book, it reads like a regular contemporary romance. It isn't until a fourth of the way into it that some action begins. Then, when you're 3/4 through, it starts to drag and you really don't know where the story is going. Basically, it doesn't have a regular story arc and reads more like a memoir. I'll admit
Mindy
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was brilliant. I loved it. I also loved how Donna threw some of my favorite movie references in it. Especially Hobbits. But, I didn't love the book just for those reasons.

I really didn't know what to expect when I was reading A Change of Plans, but immediately I was drawn to the cover, and while reading, what was inside it. This book has everything a reader could ask for. Romance, humor, suspense, love, hope, strong, likeable characters, and a great fast-paced plot that will
Lisa
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book out of order. I think I would have liked to have read this one first - but it didn't really change how much I loved the book! Both of them! I am a fan of Donna! Great writing and I really love a good ship wreck...well catamaran wreck - although I am glad I read this after my trip to VI and our awesome Cruise on a catamaran. Loved this story!
Margaret Larsen Turley
Donna K. Weaver begins her book: A Change of Plans in a very conversational tone as if the reader was at a sleep-over with your best friend. The story quickly ratchets up several notches and kept me turning pages through the night. This is sweet romantic suspense at its best a Romantic Shipwreck Story more exciting than Cast-a-Way with Tom Hanks. ...more
Amy
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Change Of Plans is a phenomenal story of love, loss, and survival. Donna Weaver takes you on a journey you will not likely forget any time soon.
Charity Bradford
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, I don't even know where to start! This is going to be a hard review to write without giving away spoilers. Let's just all accept the fact that a romance has to have an HEA (happily ever after) but this one had me worrying I'd have to accept a different version of the standard form of HEA. So, here we go...

Weaver is a talented writer who knows how to pull the emotion straight from your soul. Her characters were real from page one. Never once did they feel cliche or like stock people
Mary
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW. This is one of the most powerful and gripping books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down. The author's writing made me feel as though I was there. The characters are very well fleshed, very REAL. I felt everything, and it ran me through a gamut of emotions - serenity, humour, gentle romance, drama, fear, trauma, happiness, incredible sadness, hope.
The cover and title are rather lackluster, and even the blurb, while intriguing, doesn't prepare you for what lies inside. I'm so glad that I
Elsbeth
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodread-authors
I usually don't read much of the blurb of a book and just start reading. I did that also with this book. So, reading about Lyn's trip on 'Love Boat', I was wondering how that could fill a book this size. Part 2 and 3 of this book took me by surprise. Not an unwelcome surprise, but a very emotional one. Part 1 and 3 are about mental survival, part 2 about physical survival.
This was such a great and touching story, I couldn't keep it dry. This is a story that will stay with me for a long time!
I
Karen
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An emotional journey

Wow, just wow. This is my favorite book by author Donna Weaver yet. I cried and cried over such sad circumstances. Its a bit unbelievable about how much bad luck they had but the love and emotion of the book just made up for that. And I thought there had to be a HEA in there but I was afraid that HEA was not what I hoped for. Braedon and Lyn were such great characters and the supporting characters were also just awesome. I admit that Lyn bothered me toward the beginning part
Lenda Burns
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a plot and cast of characters.
This book kept me on edge because of all the twists and turns
I loved it.
The book is one you can't put down till the end.
You have to keep reading to find out what happens next.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Neighbor's Secret (Secret Billionaire Romance, #1)
  • The Billionaire's Christmas Hideaway (Secret Billionaire Romance #5)
  • A Suave Billionaire's Secret Life (Sweet Billionaire Romance Book 1)
  • Miss Devon's Choice (Branches of Love #5)
  • Hot by Halloween (Squad Goals #1)
  • Puppy Dog Tales
  • 1-800-CUPID (Flipping For You #1)
  • A Chocolate-Box Valentine (Chocolate-Box #3)
  • Wager for a Lady's Hand (Lockhart #1)
  • The Gentleman Physician (Branches of Love #2)
  • Goldie and the Billionaire Bear: A Clean Billionaire Fairy Tale Romance (Once Upon a Billionaire Book 1)
  • Cowboys Don't Marry Their Best Friend (Sweet Water Ranch #1)
  • The Paramedic's Second Chance  (Hawthorne Harbor #1)
  • Meet Me At Sunrise (Romano Family #2)
  • Duchess by Chance (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • A Bride for Adam (The Proxy Brides Book 33)
  • Who Wants to Love a Billionaire? (Billionaires in New York Book 1)
  • Rescuing the Prince (Royal Secrets, #6)
Award-winning author - wife-mother-grandmother-Navy brat-Army veteran-karate black belt-Harry Potter nerd-online gamer girl.

Safe Harbors (4 books)
  • Torn Canvas (Safe Harbors, #2)
  • Swing Vote (Safe Harbors, #3)
  • Kings Crossed Lovers (Safe Harbors, #4)