Start by marking “God's Dog” as Want to Read:
God's Dog

God's Dog

2.48  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

Published January 2014 by Text Publishing Australia (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about God's Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Dog

Richard Derus
Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: Set in a not-too-distant future, and moving between Rome and Amsterdam, God's Dog is a detective novel unlike any you have read before.

It is the eve of Pope Benedict XVIII's canonisation and Domingo Salazar, a Haitian orphan and now a Vatican secret agent, is hellbent on defeating the Angels of Death, pro-abortion and pro-euthanasia dissidents who are undermining the Pope's authority.

But as Salazar closes in on the cell he finds his life turned upside down.
Robert Ronsson
I bought this because it was recommended by Nick Lezard in the Guardian. I know you can't judge a book by its cover but when it arrived this had a distinctly 'self-published' feel. The typeface on the front looks amateurish and is set off-centre. The cover price of £9.99 is high for a relatively thin volume. Books like this don't usually merit reviews in national newspapers so I though the contents would be really special.
But I wasn't grabbed either by the character, the prose or the plotting.
It
Marianne
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
God’s Dog is the 8th novel by Italian newspaper columnist, translator and novelist, Diego Marani, and the third to be translated into English. Domingo Salazar is enjoying his relative independence in Amsterdam as a secret agent for the papal police force (God’s dog): he performs his duties efficiently, sabotaging the secular state, spreading distrust in science and intercepting anti-papist refugees from Italy; he can secretly indulge in activities that support his own radical views on the concep ...more
Calandrino_Tozzetti
"Fuorviante"

Come coloro che mi conoscono sanno bene, non sono una persona volgare: amo lo scherzo, il gioco, la battuta ficcante, il ghiribizzo, l'amichevole canzonatura; ma guai a tirar fuori trivialità o turpiloqui di vario genere, poiché tutto ciò ha un effetto direi negativo sulla mia sensibilità e sulla mia persona. L'ultima volta che dissi un "vaffa" a un vandalo che bruciò uno stop rischiando di prendermi in pieno mentre guidavo la mia giardinetta, stetti molto male, tanto da rammaricarme
Anne Goodwin
In a futuristic theocratic state ruled by the Vatican, Domingo Salazar is a Dominican monk cum secret agent charged with rooting out a cell of dissidents who have infiltrated the hospitals to help people to die. Not so dreadful, some might think? But this is a society in which doctors practice prayer in preference to medicine and pain relief is withheld from the dying in order that they might “bear witness” to Christ’s suffering on the cross.
I confess that I appreciated the idea of this novel mo
Polwanderer
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing as the background for the story was intriguing. But badly in need of an editor and reads as it is the unfinished notes of a novel rather than a full developed book
Joanne Sheppard
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've seen a great deal of praise for one of Diego Marani's previous novels, New Finnish Grammar, although I haven't yet got round to reading it and decided to start with God's Dog instead because I was so interested in the basic premise.

God's Dog is set in a future in which the Catholic Church rules an unspecified chunk of the world as a sinister, Orwellian theocracy, able to pass laws, impose taxes (including an extra penalty for atheists) and operate a force of ordained police officers. Doming
Joanne
A look at a dystopian future in which the Church (definitely with a capital 'C') has taken over from government. It's a chilling look at church policy, focusing on the propaganda and subversive techniques employed to undermine scientific discovery and medical advances.

Whilst atheism and alternate religions are not banned, they are heavily taxed. Scientism and Darwinism can lead to an unwelcome call from the papal elite enforcers. Medicine is scaled back and seen as an extravagant intrusion on 'G
Calzean
Another great idea fro Marani – 20 years in the future the Roman Catholic Church has taken over Italy and is now a Republic. The Church has an undercover service that kills off anyone who threatens the creeds of the Church, including abortionists, euthanizers, research scientists and those who want to bring Christianity and Islam closer together.

A short book which did not maximise the potential behind the story’s creativity, changed scenes between paragraphs and was at times hard to follow.
Domhnall
May 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
I regret the time spent reading this very pedestrian novel. None of the characters catch my interest and the nature of the dystopia is less than three dimensional. Face it, we have had many examples of states in which Catholic dogma was part of the dominant ideology so the attempt to describe a fictional new example is up against some very fascinating and sometimes chilling real historical precedents. This novel just fails to ignite for my taste.
Maxine Crane
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is satire mixed with dark humour. The nature of the characters made it difficult for me to connect to them emotionally. Similarly, there was an overall detachment in the narrative that kept me at arms length from that world and the spiritual issues it explored. I think this is something the author conscioulsy positioned the reader to feel as it was fitted that suject matter. Nonethless, it was an interesting read.

!Tæmbuŝu
Jan 05, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Marie
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
not genius, maybe it was lost in translation...
Trevor Kenning
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Highly enjoyable, but essentially a long short story
Adrian
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ideas, but a bit all over the place.
Kit Devon
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok

I was indifferent to the character's journey but have rated the novel as three stars because the detachment in the story is appropriate for the world in which the narrative is set.
Mandy
Alessandra
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Italia: Il cane di Dio 5 19 Jul 24, 2012 02:16AM
Diego Marani works as a senior linguist for the European Union in Brussels.
Every week he writes a column for a Swiss newspaper in Europanto, a language he has invented. He also published a collection of short stories in Europanto, in France.
In Italian he has published six novels, the most recent being l'Amico della Donna.