Start by marking “Flash” as Want to Read:
Flash

Flash

A blockbuster of sensual suspense from New York Times bestselling author Jayne Ann Krentz.

Sparkling with Jayne Ann Krentz’s irresistible blend of sassy wit and sheer suspense, this sizzling bestseller explodes into passionate pyrotechnics as a self-made millionaire and a charmingly disorganized entrepreneur team up to corner a killer. Soon, they find their unruly
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Pocket Star Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Flash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash

Start your review of Flash
Kathleen
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this stand-alone romantic suspense, set in contemporary Seattle. I first read it years ago. Now I'm listening to the audio, narrated by Kate Fleming (aka Anna Fields, who narrated for Susan E Philips). She's got a broad vocal range and portrays men well. Sadly, she passed on in 2006.

POV is 3rd person, switching between Jasper and Olivia, and occasionally some mysterious chess player.

Contents include a few explicit sex scenes, a little violence, minimal swearing or profanity, and
Mara
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rip-off-prices
I read a sample at the end of one of her books. It seemed like a good book. Unfortunately the Kindle edition is 17.50$ (!!)
For a 1998 novel...
Pity

At the end I had to borrow it, its price is unbelievable and it has never been slashed. That said I liked it and would buy it (as soon as it gets reasonably priced).
Cheri
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay for me. It was an early one of JAK's novels. I just found it kinda mundane. The mystery of who dunnit was interesting. I wasn't totally satisfied with the chemistry of the 2 main characters.
Mari (Smut Duchess)
On oldie but goodie. Classic Jayne Ann Krentz book. Likable smart characters that have to work together to solve several concurrent mysteries. All neatly wrapped up in a firm HEA.
Carrie
Dec 4 2010. 3 star for print edition. Good, not great. I liked the romance but would have enjoyed more time spent developing it. The suspense plot was very good in parts, but it hinged on something a little far-fetched, and that fact kind of ruined it for me. Still, light and fun, with some witty dialog.

Revisited on audio, narrated by the incomparable Kate Fleming/Anna Fields.

3/37/12- audiobook review 4* because the narrator brings up the rating.
Flash was more enjoyable in audio for the simple
Brianna
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult
good, but not a good as the other books by her.
Lindap
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3 Stars

Although Amazon has a release date of 2010 for this book, it was originally released in 1998. It dates itself with floppy discs and the mention of Fredrick's of Hollywood. (Today's reference would be Victoria's Secret.)

There are two prologue's. One for Jasper (H) and one for Olivia (h). As the story begins the nephews Jasper's been raising are in college. The nephews and the VP of Jasper's company push him to take a vacation...a month long getaway. When he gets back he's informed he's the
Laura Brush
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was just ok. Had to read it for my Romance Novel college Course.
Rene
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked it all and all, but it was a bit (possibly a spoiler) disappointing that I knew the end of the mystery angle within the first 20% of my reading the story.
Hannah
This is a weak three stars for me. I almost gave it 2.5 stars, but I decided to be generous. There was nothing seriously wrong with Flash, except that it followed Jayne Ann Krentz's formula too closely. The characters were people I've met before in her other novels. They were the same irritatingly-naive heroine and slightly-nerdy-but-still-deeply-masculine hero that show up in so many Krentz novels. I could predict everything they did, and even portions of their dialog. It's depressing when I ...more
Teri-K
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-general
This is one of the "tough business man is forced to work with young woman" books by Krentz that I enjoy reading every so often. It's not, however, one of my favorites. I think it lacks interesting MCs and enough tension in the plot. Olivia and Jasper are likable but they don't ever come alive on the page. I think the story would be much more interesting if his nephews played a bigger part, as they make him feel more interesting. The plot mostly concerns people being blackmailed who don't really ...more
Maria
Thoroughly entertaining in typical Jayne Ann Krentz style, this book has it all - great characters, dialogue, humor, excitement, and a plot that keeps the reader hopping. Which is why I re-read it as often as possible. Every time I find something fun and new to appreciate. My favorite line, "He was in very dangerous territory without a map.", provokes a laugh every time, even after five or six readings. I also love the emphasis on Jasper's "timing" issues and especially like the way Jasper ...more
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
I'm not much of a Krentz fan but when I discovered that Anna Fields narrated Flash, I had to listen. It was a DNF however. The leads had an interesting intro but then were thrown into a basic whodunit which dominated the story. Not interested.

Narration is, of course, 5 stars. Content - 2-3 stars.
Mae
Jan 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2016
When you buy a used book for $1.00 you get your money's worth if it entertains and passes the time. This one did that - no more, totally predictable but what do you expect for a buck:)
S.J. Tyson
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable romance/thriller from Jayne Ann Krentz. I kept wanting to get back to the story every time I had to put it down...a sure sign of an interesting plot. The romance aspect was provocative, the dialogue was quick-witted and lively, and the thriller/mystery plot was complex and left you wondering Whodunit? until the very end. I very much liked Ms. Krentz's writing style, and I will be reading more of her other novels in the future.

Synopsis:
Sparkling with Jayne Ann Krentz's irresistible
Lori Shafer
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
When Jasper inherits the controlling interest in the family company, Glow, inc., he thinks it will be the change he needs. However, not everyone is thrilled with the new boss. Someone is willing to use deadly methods to end his reign.

The book is a nice read. It was not as suspenseful as I like. The storyline was a little predictable.

All in all, Flash is not a must read.
Barbi
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable book.
Olivia and Jasper are 2 people bound by a company who face blackmail, intrigue, and several other obstacles throughout the course of this book. They both have their own motivations to continue on but they soon realize that they are on the same side. The chemistry between them is undeniable and at times, entertaining and somewhat humorous.
Angie Lee
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent
Jen
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one. I'm not usually into books about business world but really liked the characters and companies. Definitely page turning
Susan
Enjoyed it a lot even though I figured it out by half way at the latest.
Liz
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Looking for a break again from non-fiction, I pulled this book off my shelves to re-read. Fun, fast, romantic suspense--just the ticket.
David Johnston
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
A fairly routine outing from the days before Jayne Anne Krentz got into paranormal romance. A motherly woman in a slightly quirky business meets a rich man who manages to be as tough as he is nerdy and is just what she needs to find out why someone is going to try to kill her.
Gieliza
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!
Ines
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Julie Barrett
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Flash by Jayne Ann Krentz
Olivia is now running her uncle's lighting business, Glow since he's passed away. She learns that he had a loan where the one financing the business was now holding 51% of the stock in the company but she'd still be in charge of the day to day.
Jasper Sloan had used his personal money to help his friend out because he believed in him and his concepts.
Olivia runs her own lighting company, Light Fantastic and many of the relatives also work in the family business. Problem
Janette
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia Chantry may leave her desk in disarray, but she's a business dynamo: her Seattle-based company, Light Fantastic, creates the promotional flash her clients need. Her marvelous success has almost made up for a crumbled marriage that has left her wedded to a career instead of a mate. But all that may change when Olivia inherits 49% of Glow, Inc., her uncle's high-tech lighting firm, and she butts heads with the interloper who bagged the other 51%: Jasper Sloan, a venture capitalist and ...more
Sana
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Flash promised to be a romantic suspense mystery novel and it was, to a limit. After the two prologues, I was ready to get hooked but all I got was a story of a lesser level. Why I say this is because apart from being a highly unlikely contract, it was almost predictable. The bad characters were shown to be bad from the start with a thin layer of mystery surrounding them and the good ones were just plain selfless.

I did not like the sudden evolving relationship between Jasper and Olivia all in an
Diana Hockley
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been able to follow the progress of an author from the start of her career, reading the first novels she produced and now I am a number of years down the track.

Written ten years after the previous novel by Judith Ann Krentz' which I reviewed - Test of Time - I can appreciate the tightening of her wording, the more sophisticated plot which makes use of the technology available at that time. It has been interesting to see how this author has developed and will be more so as I progress to
Bonnie G.
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern-romance
It was fun to see all the references to those very modern fax machines and floppy disks, but this was not one of JAK's better outings for me. JAK is the Campbell's Tomato soup of writers. JAK books and Campbell's tomato are sort of bland and formulaic, and there are better tomato soup/romance novels to be had, even on my own pantry/book shelves, but at the same time both are warm and comforting and velvety, and simultaneously sweet and salty. This specific iteration of the JAK formula just tried ...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is a later Jayne Ann Krentz and shows how the author has developed over time. Jasper Sloan is not content with his life and plans to sell of his company. Olivia has been too busy for men after her disastrous marriage. When her uncle dies and leaves her 49% of his company, Glow she is surprised. She never knew he took a partner and letting that man have 51% of the company was disastrous. From the beginning Jasper and Olivia shoot sparks off each other. They have a tenuous working ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Flash (1998) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 01:04PM

• Mischief
  • I Thee Wed (Vanza, #2)
  • Wicked Widow (Vanza, #3)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Mystique
  • With This Ring  (Vanza, #1)
  • Dangerous
  • Scandal
  • Dark Matters (Class 5, #4)
  • Lie by Moonlight (Vanza, #4)
  • Wait Until Midnight
  • Don't Look Back (Lake/March, # 2)
  • Deception
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Reckless
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • The Other Lady Vanishes (Burning Cove, #2)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters