Start by marking “Between The Lines” as Want to Read:
Between The Lines

Between The Lines

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  1,550 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
There was no passion to break her heart, no love to risk and lose. Marrying her boss, prominent businessman Cormick Grayson, was a very reasonable proposition for a woman who'd been hurt in love before. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

At first. But something wasn't right. The heat in Gray s eyes told her there was more to this than a polite, passionless marriage.
Published June 23rd 2000 by MIRA (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Between The Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between The Lines

Lara
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2012-in-2012
This is one of Ms. Krentz's early books, published in the mid-80's. Her heroine is typical of her books - someone who has intelligence and is capable. The hero is also typical - strong and understated. This book lacks a murder, which was refreshing. And I really enjoyed the fact that Gray was so willing to let Amber find her own way. He trusted her and really paid attention to her. Yes, he makes mistakes, but they are not because he is overbearing or condescending towards Amber.

Because this book
Lisa
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I found this book to be kind of frustrating for a variety of reasons.

(view spoiler)
Susan
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. A short gem of a romance that didn’t take itself seriously allowing its plot contrivances to go down smooth and easy. I devoured it... I keep thinking in food terms. It was like that little ball of sherbet you get between courses at really fancy restaurants to cleanse your palette. I guess I think that because I read it after reading a thick book that was redundant in some places and that took itself entirely seriously even though it had as many plot contrivances as this story has. I ...more
Maria
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I hovered between three and four stars for this book, but the characterization and dialogue, as usual, pushed me up a notch. The plot and humor are also good. I have read this book many times, and although not one of my favorites, I still have no problem re-reading it over and over.
Gina
Jun 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Between the Lines (Hardcover)
by Jayne Ann Krentz (Goodreads Author)

Another of JAK's 1986 early books, I couldn't make myself even get through it.
Amber is the young naive nitwit; Gray is the older, wiser, wealthy man that wants her before she even knows she's attracted to him. But don't worry, he'll tell her what to think, what she needs, and when.

There isn't even a real story line.

Boring, Boring, Boring.
Tracy
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
1) I found this so funny in a geeky 🤓 kind of way. Also, I think I’m in love...Grayson is so fantastic.
2) I loved the narration by Amy McFadden! She did a great job!
3) I cannot believe this was originally published in the 80s, seemed very modern.
4) I have a new appreciation for the word “contentment”
J.W.
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Ehh contemporary romance leaves me a little bland really. I keep trying it but the characters always feel so underdeveloped and weak compared paranormal romance, just a personal thing I guess. I need more fictional fiction that possible fiction.

A quick little read, strong silent man and a woman with a past. Marriage of convience turned passionate,
SaraJean
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book didn't live up to Krentz's usual reputation at all. It's simply a slightly better written romance novel.
K.
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Contemporary-a-thon challenge: read a book with orange on the cover.
Jana Leah
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fake romance & I liked watching Amber & Grey's relationship grow. This story had the right mix of romance, suspense, sexiness, & conflict.
Misti
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Early JAK and very predictable. I’m giving it a pass on a few things because of when it was written and it was enjoyable enough.
Fremom3
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holds up quite well for a book published in the 80s. Gotta love JAK and her quirky characters. Glad she mentioned this one in her last newsletter. :)
Kate
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an oldie that is a little outdated but still fun to read. I've always loved Krentz's style.
Gina Salamon
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
As this was one of Jayne's older stories (I believe it was first published in 1989) I wasn't surprised to find it not quite up to par with what I would expect to get in a Jayne Ann Krentz book. Still, I enjoyed reading Gray and Amber's story, which got more interesting with each chapter.

No matter how experienced, I believe we all grow as writers with every page.
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
First published: 1986
Length: 253 pages
Setting: Contemporary. Bellevue, Washington and Tucson.
Sex: Explicit. Reasonably frequent. Some fade to black.
Hero: business consultant and her boss.
Heroine: PA

A 1980s Harlequin Temptation with all that implies.

☑ Good author who went on to make a big name in romance (as did Lori Foster, Jennifer Crusie, Barbara Delinsky...)
☑ Strong man with hidden macho depths but in touch with his feelings.
☑ Powerful woman who has a secret desire to
Yuli Michaeili
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
חמוד
Holly
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
A really good debut novel! There are places where I felt the story line dragged with too much personal interaction between characters; some of it could've been summed up and would have kept the story moving better. And it felt like it reached the climax too soon, and then the end seemed to drag on--I kept expecting the excitement level to rise one more time as the "bad guy" was corraled, but it didn't really. If not for those two rather nitpicky things, it would've been a 5 star book for me.

The
Kari
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2012
This is the Jayne that I know and love. As much as I like her Arcane series, I think I like her older novels better. Between the Lines is a marriage of convenience tale, but from the start you can see that both care about each other. Gray is actually in love with Amber, but he talks her into marrying him for convenience sake. She has been pretty hurt int he past and he knows he must take his time to show her she can love again. Gray is such a great guy, anyone would have to be crazy not to fall ...more
Farah
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, grandma-era
Loved it !! The book was perfectly balanced , it had a little suspense , a lot of humor and of course romance. The characters had chemistry and the build up between them was done nicely. Gray was very charming , he's humorous , intelligent and calm in a very sexy way. Amber was a character I enjoyed a lot , I usually find trouble with Jayne's heroines but not Amber. She's witty , funny , very honest and would gladly waltz in a dangerous situation and disarm it with her clever imagination and thr ...more
Jessica
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: category-romance

I'm not sure why, but I really like marriage of convenience stories, especially when they provide time in the story for the characters to develop a relationship and get to know and care for each other. The sexual politics were a little old-fashioned at times ("conjugal duties") but it was written 25 years ago and is less regressive than some of the stuff I see on tv now (*cough*GOP primaries*cough*).

Anyway, it's surprisingly sweet and generally funny thanks to the banter about cowboy po
Cecily
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-archive
This was all delightfully 1980s - the hairstyles, the clothes and the action (sans cell phones and internet). I felt very nostalgic for this time and its romance novels as it was the period during which I was devouring Mills and Boon novels at a prodigious rate as a teenager and then as a university student in my 'non study' mode. Simple stories, alpha males with a discreetly tough employment background, women who stand their ground and straightforward sex. I too am a bit of a sucker for a marri ...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
Cormick Grayson is a very serious business man that has an interest in an obscure Southwestern poet. He hires Amber to be his secretary. It is soon obvious she doesn’t have the typing talents and she becomes his assistant. He proposes out of the blue, and Amber is hesitant at first. She agrees and it doesn’t seem right from the beginning. She initiates the physical side of their relationship and they are content in their marriage. Someone from her past comes to haunt her, and Cormick’s business ...more
Marybelle
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have no idea why I love this book. The male protagonist, Gray, is arrogant and thinks he knows it all when it comes to the female protagonist, Amber. Amber, let's face it, is a total twit. Who else but a twit would think that a friendly, amicable marriage without passion could work? But there is something in their chemistry that keeps the reader interested. Perhaps it's because all of us at one time or another play into both these extremes when it comes to relationships. Perhaps it's because s ...more
Blue Eyed Vixen
My first read of this author and what I have surmised is one of her early works.
This romance is pretty straight forwards with a few good doses of humour. Gray the alpha-male hiding under the demure mask of a investigative assessor with an at time very funny obsession about an obscure southwestern poet.
I liked that Amber was neither naive or a pushover. Taking the initiative when the situation didn't go her way even if she misread what was happening.
A fairly quick read and I would like to try m
Fai Kavochi
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
When an author sets out to educate and entertain at the same time, then you probably won't have enough time for their books. Who would have known that people like Sherborn Ulysses Twitchell existed:The South Western Poet, if it were not for such sweet authours. I liked Cormick Grayson's calmness though at times I found him a little boring with his way of approach to serious issues. Ozzie and Roger should have been brought out more strongly maybe that would have created another flow to the story. ...more
Danielle
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is one of JAK's 1980s battle-of-the-sexes books, which aren't usually my favourite examples of her style. This, however, was definitely one of the better novels of the period. The plot's reasonably unusual, and the relationship between the two leads is intriguing. It's a nice bridge between her overly passive heroines of the early 80s, and the snappy, Katherine Hepburnesque dialogue we expect now from a JAK book.
Livia
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
BETWEEN THE LINES is a classic romance novel from the late 80s featuring a hero and heroine that find love during a marriage of convenience. Amber Langley marries her boss because he has all the right moves and because she feels she will never find the excitement of real love. She however underestimates her boss, now husband, Gray.

A fun read that has all the elements of a true romance in my opinion, especially the hostile ex.
Pat Cromwell
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wonderful couple! Another of my favorites. From beginning to end this book is great. Here we have a hero -- prelude I thinks to Oliver in Wildest hearts -- who is not at all what he seems. Short excellent read, you will love the ending. One reviewer on Amazon describes Amber's boss as "mild mannered --- a superman in clark kent clothing." And that definitely sums up the hero Grayson.
Gloria
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Another comfort read from Krentz' backlist. I read this years ago, so this was repeat for me. I love this author, and prlific as she is, I wish she would write faster! Older book, so some of the male-female interactions are a little dated, but recommended anyway. If you like Krentz, you will enjoy it.
Jadzia
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, hq
3,5 stars. Could've been even 4 if I were in a better mood ;)
What can I say? As far as Krentz's books for harlequin and other publishers of the type go, this one was pretty good. It lacked maybe a little more electricity between heroes. I mean, were was the suspence in their relationship? But it was a fine quick read.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Between the Lines (1986) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 01:22PM
  • Dangerous Magic
  • A Man's Protection
  • Whirlwind Courtship + High Energy
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre