Start by marking “Flare” as Want to Read:
Flare

Flare

(Tiny Tails #2)

Flare is a tough little phoenix. He never cries. But everyone needs to cry sometimes. Will his guardians, Sun, Wind and Cloud, find a way to show him how?

The second book in the Tiny Tails series provides comforting reassurance that it's okay to express our emotions.
Published August 1st 2014 by Simply Read Books (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Flare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flare

Start your review of Flare
Julia
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
As an adult reading a book that is clearly directed towards a much younger reading audience I am probably going to be a lot harder on the book itself then if I was younger or had children who I could read to or who could read on their own. As such although the series looks fun and seems decently presented it was definitely not my favorite - please give me back Serendipity!

Anyway for this particular book the writing font is definitely big and boldish so that readers won't have a problem with
Sandra
Oct 09, 2019 added it
Shelves: early-reader
I'm kind of perplexed by this one. The whole teaching kids that crying is natural and it's good to have a cry sometimes is great and I wanted something like that for the collection.

The whole giving odd examples then having his tears magically healing someone else kind of seems to miss the point of you'll feel better if you don't bottle up emotions? (Yes, phoenix magical tears I get it but still...) It somehow comes off as both didactic yet unsuccessfully so.
Cheriee Weichel
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Young Flare never cries, so the Sun, the wind, and the rain take it upon themselves to teach him how to cry. (This really reminded me of the story The North Wind and The Sun.) As Flare learns empathy, he also learns to cry. It turns out that his tears have magical powers.
Geneviève Côtés charming illustrations enhance these beginning chapter books.
Jesse
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I like that this includes a mythological creature, specifically a phoenix. I like that the phoenix's tears have healing powers (Yay, HP!). I even like that Flare learns empathy through another's pain. But, it was too long and didn't have an obvious point to it (as I was reading).
Donna Mork
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story about a phoenix who learns to cry.
Miss Sarah
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute easy reader chapter book about a young phoneix finding his way in the world and the sun, moon, and wind watching over him. preschool and up
Holliferous
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-my-son
As a mom raising a little boy who already says things like "boys don't cry" this is wonderful.
Annie
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute, easy reading beginning chapter book.
jacky
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
William did great reading this one. I got to model how to use connections between stories to make a prediction based on our knowledge of Fawks.
Alison
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Flare Again really cute character design and an OK story. As a kid I definitely would have understood the moral to be
[spoiler]
"It's OK to cry if you're a phoenix and your tears have healing properties"
[/spoiler]
which isn't the point the book is trying to make. But I was a weird kid.
Kate
This book was as cute as the others in the series. I think the more I read of them the less I like the series as a whole though, for some reason. Cloud, Wind, and Sun were adorable. They had to teach Flare that it's ok to cry because his tears have healing abilities but they don't tell him until he actually heals somebody with his tears. It seemed weird to me that they wouldn't lead with that? Especially since they think that tears must come from pain or sadness (because Sun is too happy to ...more
Abby Brithinee
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This adorable little book is perfect for children just learning to read on their own. Flare, a little phoenix, doesn't know how to cry, so Cloud, Wind, and Sun decide to teach Flare that it's all right to cry sometimes. The art in this book is bright, with a lot of white space, and it's simple and expressive.
Erin
Simplistic, but sweet. Addresses the idea that if you're tough and strong then you don't cry.

The illustrations are beautiful.
Monique
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Second book in the Tiny Tales series, this is a sweet story about Flare, a phoenix who learns that its okay to express emotions such as crying.
Shannon
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I liked this book an irrational amount. The art isn't my favorite, but the pacing of the writing and the moral of the story make this a good addition to a weather or legends unit.
Jacqui
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Story of the healing power of a Phoenix.
Aspasia
Sep 13, 2016
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Story of the Windrush
  • Greg James & Chris Smith Kid Normal and the Loudest Library: World Book Day 2020
  • Boo Who?
  • Lon Po Po: A Red-Riding Hood Story from China
  • One Wolf Howls
  • Baby Wolf (Little Reader Wild Animals)
  • The Lucky Litter: Wolf Pups Rescued from Wildfire
  • Cyborg Cat and the Night Spider
  • Meg Goes to Bed
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • Daddy, Papa, and Me
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really DO Make a Difference!
Im an author, editor, and speaker living in Vancouver, BC, near the sea. When Im not writing or editing, Im teaching creative writing workshops.

I have my Masters of Children's Literature from the University of British Columbia.

I love picture books, fairy tales, beautiful art and music, and baking cookies.

Tiny Tails (3 books)