Start by marking “Let Us Eat Cake: Adventures in Food and Friendship” as Want to Read:
Let Us Eat Cake: Adventures in Food and Friendship

Let Us Eat Cake: Adventures in Food and Friendship

Every woman has poignant food memories: the times she licked the bowl when her mother baked a cake, or helped her grandmother make blintzes, tortillas, or Southern fried chicken. And how about the times she and her girlfriends baked chocolate-chip cookies or, later, prepared elaborate dinners to impress potential husbands?

One day when looking through an old desk she'd boug
Published December 12th 2014 by William Morrow & Company (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Let Us Eat Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let Us Eat Cake

Jenny
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
The only reason I finished this book and was able to grant it a two-star review is because it is my book club's March selection. I found Boorstin self-interested with little interesting to say. The book lacks a central purpose, so the chapters just become descriptions of her cooking with or eating with friends with recipes tossed in along the way. How on earth this was published is beyond me. Don't waste you time!
Nicole
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was recommended for book clubs by my state library and, though interesting in parts, this could have been condensed down to less than 100 pages, including the recipes. While not my cup of tea, the themes of the book offered great conversation to my book club though most of us never finished the book.
Yvonne
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Read for book club and each member brought one of the recipes. Not much discussion on the book but the food was delicious!
Goddess
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
A pretty average memoir; sometimes the author seemed more interested in detailing the various successes and physical beauty of her friends than their actual relationships despite that being the focal point of the book, and towards the end it feels a bit like a grocery list of famous/influential people she's known? But still written very friendly and calmly, a nice slow read that I took chapter by chapter.
Diane Bell
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was interested at the beginning, not so much by the end, and it's a long book. There is no central story line, it mostly just wanders through the author's life and experiences with food. There are too many random people inserted into it, and I didn't find even the author's story all that interesting. (I obviously read this for book club.) It was just ok.
Kerith
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I went into this expecting to read about food, but also got a well-written memoir on friendship between women. The author discovered an old recipe journal and started to muse upon the links between her friends and the food they ate/cooked together. It was a surprisingly engaging tale of a life. Warning, though, like any good foodie book, it will make you hungry.
Joelle Stearns
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. It is written by a woman who recounts the emotional relationships that she and other women have with food over the course of their lives. She talks about how food is such a significant piece of good memories and how those memories and recipes link us to one another. Heartfelt and kind, this book left me feeling warm and fuzzy. Many good recipes as well.
Erin
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-it
A great combination of memoir and cookbook! Chronicles the author's culinary adventures from Mom's home-cooking in the 1950's to her own delicious recipes of the present day. Fascinating first hand accounts of life in Berkeley and LA in the sixties, and a great account of the role of food in family life.
Teri
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I fondly remember purchasing this book from a used book store in NYC in 2002, read it and loved it - made many of the recipes in it too! Moonshadow Chicken still one of my favorites. Recently re-read in 2010 and it did not resonate like it did in 2002... still a nostalgic read though!
Dnicebear
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoy the mix of relationships and food stories arranged mostly sequentially. This is an interesting way to write a memoir, and I feel connected to these people. I'm sorry there is very little direct connection with the earth, but that is the way many of us live these days.
Angela
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book didn't pique my interest like I thought it would. My attitude about this memoir is "who cares?" Even the recipes didn't sound that appetizing to me. Too many little details about other people, not enough interesting stories about the author herself.
Claire
Jan 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Oh, I did not care for this book at all. I didn't even care for the recipes.
gigi
Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun, foodie book!
It's just not worth reading someone's memoir when you aren't enticed by the person.
The Hofs
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: chez-mama
Fun and enjoyable. if you liked Backyard Heathens and Tender at the Bone, you will enjoy this memoir of food and friendship. Great beach read.
Big E
Jan 29, 2013
Carla
Dec 17, 2018 added it
Shelves: memoir
Kind of light reading but I enjoyed it. She must be about the same age as me. I may even go back and see if there’s a recipe I can make. I had never heard of her before I read the book but she was a food critic.
Shino