Start by marking “Scrum: a Breathtakingly Brief and Agile Introduction” as Want to Read:
Scrum: a Breathtakingly Brief and Agile Introduction

Scrum: a Breathtakingly Brief and Agile Introduction

A pocket-sized overview of roles, artifacts and the sprint cycle, adapted from the bestseller The Elements of Scrum by Chris Sims & Hillary Louise Johnson
Published July 30th 2014 by Dymaxicon (first published March 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Scrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scrum

Start your review of Scrum: a Breathtakingly Brief and Agile Introduction
Tarek Amr
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Interesting book and good concise introduction to scrum. I however need to find out if there are other agile methodologies, since scrum seems to be full of meetings overhead
Annie
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
The book is extremely short. It's more of summary notes rather than an introduction.

Scrum is an easy set of rules for a small team of about seven people to complete a project. Its success is due to the practice of "inspect and adapt" after each sprint (typically a 2-week iteration to complete an agreed upon list of deliverables). The focus is not "tasks" done but "results" delivered after each sprint. There are three roles: product owner, scrum master, and development team. The product owner is
Alison Rowland
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was true to its title and gave a great overview of the Scrum process, free of distracting and overly cute jargon that is often present in Scrum training materials. The one place where I felt the book could have had more explanation was on burn-down charts. They presented them, but did not explain how to produce them sufficiently to be able to do so. A note on the Kindle version: it did not have the ability, that I could tell, to zoom in on graphics (such as the aforementioned burn-down ...more
Mouni Reddy
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love it.

Simple introduction to agile development. Everyone should read this whether you work in agile teams or not. Everything is explained in a simple superb manner.
Ryan Mcconville
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As the title suggests, SCRUM is a brief, but helpful, introduction to scrum and the basic tenets of agile product development. Highly recommend for business managers and non-tech types who want a quick cheat sheet on the concepts and jargon: sprint planning, scrum master, backlog, story time, etc. Now I will be better at pretending I know what I am talking about.
Mark
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Very brief indeed. It gives the gist of methodology. I've seen/used it in software development environments in an iterative process. Can it be adapted to other uses? Perhaps. But it really does pertain pretty specfically to iterative software design and testing work.
Ken Lenoir
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just the facts ma'am

Good intro to scrum. I'm just starting out in this field and will use some of these concepts to help our team implement scrum.

Worth a read. I would recommend it. I'll also buy the elements of scrum book next by these same authors.
David Tran
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick, useful review

Super simple but effective review of scrum concepts and practices. Doesn't really go into much detail, but explains the core tenets and meetings well.
Chris
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book to recommend to others

This is a very good, quick & easy read to introduce or refresh new team members who are using Scrum.
Rasha Fatani
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting to read this book if you are involved in any kind of project or you want to better manage your own personal project! Being involved in projects as a part of a team. Observing the way each project is being managed by different project manager. I can now identify why some projects fail and other success. It is all about constant feedback from concerned stockholders and teamwork and being transparent about the obstacles and issues during the project life cycle. As well as, specifically ...more
Adil Hussain
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good, concise, to-the-point introduction and summary of the Scrum way of working for teams and companies. The book covers the Roles (Product Owner, Scrum Master, Team Member), the Artifacts (Product Backlog, Sprint Backlog, Burn Charts etc) and the Sprint Cycle elements (Daily Scrum, Story Time, Sprint Review etc) that make up a Scrum workflow.
Robert
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a clear and concise overview of the scrum agile methodology: Everything you need to know, and nothing you don't. It only took me about 30 minutes to read, and I'm a slow reader. Even though this is branded as an "introduction", I've been using scrum as a software engineer for several years, and I found this book useful as a refresher.
Doug Hawkinson
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brief and to the point

I was looking for a fly over explanation of scrum. I had some understanding but wanted to see if my understand corresponded to conventional thinking about the topic, having never had any formal training. This booklet served the purpose nicely and confirmed my understanding, in essence.
Jared
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Not sure how Scrum changes things

So basically Scrum is a method for organizing a team and planning work. The actual execution of the method is briefly touched upon, but there isn't really any justification for why Scrum outperforms other management styles. In a few words, Scrum is "the art of putting sticky notes in rectilinear patterns on a whiteboard."
Jonathan Harris
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To the point

If you are already familiar with project planning and continuous improvement concepts, this books is a perfect breakdown of the key terms and ideas of is applied in a scrum project.
Joe Hoot
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick read to review scrums and sprints

Gives you basic idea about what a typical scrum team goes through.

My team does a lot of this already, but it is nice to see some formality around how a typical, more agile development team, might do things.
Paige
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfectly short

This is a starting point for the adaptation of scrum. It's great for those in management to learn about scrum when it is to be used on a project. It can also be useful in introducing scrum to project managers and stakeholders when you need to use it.
Bobby Hyam
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great baseline knowledge builder

This was very easy to digest and got all the basic principles across to the point where I can understand them and talk about them. I know what parts are relevant to my team and what I need to go read up on more - exactly what I needed!
Lora
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Accomplishes the goal

The authors promise a concise overview of Scrum, and they deliver. With this sort book, I know enough about Scrum to follow a conversation and I know I want to learn more.
PETER F DEKAM
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just in time

This is a really great book! It's just enough and just in time!! I wasn't overwhelmed with jargon and "intelligent" catch phrases. It was the application of Scrum to the task of transforming ideas into action...
Ann Johnston
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great overview

This resource was a great overview for someone who is just learning the scrum and agile processes and needed a quick and simple read. I liked how new terms and concepts were thoroughly explained.
Jiakun Liu
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Concise and clear explanations

Good for someone new to scrum. Easy to read. It concisely explained basic elements of scrum, such as roles, responsibilities of each role, basic scrum process, the do’s and don’s in each stage of scrum process.
Najih
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good summary of scrum

The book provides a good summary of scrum. I'm not sure if this will help someone who is completely new to scrum or any agile methods. Nevertheless, well summarised.
Stevepanetta
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick & Concise - like Agile!

Good overview of Scrum and Agile. It simple and straight forward, gives you what you need without any fluff.

If you want to understand Agile sprint planning in 15 minutes, this book is for you.
Danielle
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clear, concise and informative. Great introduction or refresher for Scrum. It gave me a great start since I will need it in my new role as Product Manager for a squad. Looking forward to reading the author's other book, The Elements of Scrum.
Justin
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I was looking for! A very brief and to the point explanation of the major pieces of Scrum methodology. If you are new to the topic, a great place to start to get up and running quickly!
Rajesh K Medampudi
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A breif intro to scrum

Not a detailed description of things but to get going this is enough. Great intro to such a complicated concept. Easy to understand language, minor spell error that must be ignored
Andrew Bernoth
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick simple intro

Agile buzz abounds. This helped me confirm my understanding of the concepts and highlighted the need for a few short meetings rather than never ending sessions. I struggle with parts of the manifesto, but let’s see...
Tim Boileau
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scrum framework in a nutshell

While not a comprehensive treatise on Scrum, this is a short easy to read introduction to agile methods for collaborative learning and development in any organization.
Jonathan Hillman
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great summary of Scrums goals and points

This microbook (very small) gets to the essentials is what scrum is. Hits the things to focus on (4 stars) and hints at what to ignore (reason why it's not 5 stars). But I highly recommend EVERYONE interested in scrum read this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • The Scrum Checklist, For the Agile Scrum Master, Product Owner, Stakeholder and Development Team
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Lean vs Agile vs Design Thinking: What you really need to know to build high-performing digital product teams
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • Scrum Mastery: From Good To Great Servant-Leadership
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
  • Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry
  • The Scrum Fieldbook: A Master Class on Accelerating Performance, Getting Results, and Defining the Future
  • Fin Gall (The Norsemen Saga, #1)
  • Writing Without Bullshit: Boost Your Career by Saying What You Mean
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Chris Sims has played roleplaying games for 30 years, and he has helped produce games for nearly 10. Before he laired in the Seattle exurbs, he was an editor/designer at Wizards of the Coast. There, he worked Duel Masters, Dungeons & Dragons, and Magic: The Gathering.
“So, why do we do development work in these short cycles? To learn. Experience is the best teacher, and the scrum cycle is designed to provide you with multiple opportunities to receive feedback—from customers, from the team, from the market—and to learn from it.” 1 likes
“Scrum is a lightweight framework designed to help small, close-knit teams of people develop complex products.” 0 likes