Start by marking “The Art of Being Unmistakable” as Want to Read:
The Art of Being Unmistakable

The Art of Being Unmistakable

We live in such a hyper-connected society today flooded with so much talent and so much noise. Talent alone won’t cut it. Whether you’re an artist, musician, writer or creator of sorts, to stand out in the world you must be unmistakable.

It’s the only option.

To create unmistakable work, you must take risks. You must cross lines, personal and professional. You must go to t
Published October 6th 2013 (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Being Unmistakable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Being Unmistakable

Start your review of The Art of Being Unmistakable
Emma Sea
Rao exhorts us to "choose ourselves," and to "make a dent in the universe." It will be a challenge to achieve something so important, so goddamn real - he knows this. Why, Rao himself, when fired, was forced to move back home with his parents and live off his allowance (p. 37). Solidarity, dude. The struggle is real.

His survival strategies for being unemployed in LA were:

1) take flasks to bars so he'd never have to buy drinks
2) email promoters and offer to work the door so he coul
Norbert
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: will-read-again
If you're reading to learn, you often end up highlighting passages. The problem with that is that, when it comes to really good books, you want to highlight most of them. This is one of those.

Here's the deal: this book is written by someone in the trenches, someone going through the excitement of building a business and life. That means that there's a lot of "here's what I'm doing now," with no indication as to its eventual outcome.

Those were the parts that turned me off.

But the lessons are c
Laura Jones
Rao finds dozens of ways to say "to thine own self be true ". His examples struck a chord with me at the beginning of the book, making the remaining pages monotonous. You may find your inspiration near the end of the book or need more convincing. In that case, consider this a five-star review.
Arnold Osborn
This book is a MUST READ for anyone who has a desire to move forward in life.

A simple book, well written with a Great Deal of Insight.

A common sense approach to growth and tomorrow.

I will read it again, before the end of the year.
B.K. Birch
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is similar material found in other "self help" books, but the author makes it pop with real-life examples of both successes and failures. Bottom line, be your true self and to hell with what anyone else thinks. We all need to be reminded of this sometimes. Great, easy read.
Caroline Gordon
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A short and cheap book that is really easy to read. It's all about being true to yourself, finding who you really are and letting that out. Rao shares some compelling personal stories. It's a light and short read, I'd highly recommend reading it, it gives you a real lift.
Giles Tucker
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
An Inspiring, quick, pick me up read

Rao's collection of essays are candid, honest, and taunting to the perpetually self deceptive. This was my first exposure to Rao, I look forward to checking out the rest of his material.
Mark Brewer
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of good thoughts and ideas. Short.
Jaime Senior
Good read

Roa's short story was enthralling. An easy read that is straight to the point. Useful information presented in a light-hearted fashion.

Tim Smith
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun short little book, which will leave you with some deeper thoughts to think about.
Mike
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-reading
Lots of common sense stuff. Decent book.
Annie Oortman
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd have read this 10 years ago. It would have saved me a lot tears and heartache.
Robins Varghese
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of good insights, elaborated on with simple everyday life analogies. Some of the quotes and concepts is quite straight forward and Srinivas does a good stuff is throwing it out in the open and asking us to challenge the status quo.
Sandy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a little book that encourages me to become 0.1% better every day.
Beth Meyers
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely written by a millennial, but it still has relevance to all age groups as it speaks to listening to and following your authentic self.
Shaheen Naikpay
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Book Overall, Recommend it to everyone.

One of the best quotes I liked a lot in this book.
"My greatest sin was to waste my life believing that I wasn’t capable of something more."
Lance
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my search for positive influences, I learned about this book and decided to order a copy. I read it the same day I received it. It's a quick read and very power packed with so many thoughts that I either had myself or now realize I was in the process of developing.

Rao hits it out of the park at the start. "There are plenty of things I had thought would have already happened by this point in my life. If I had told the 20-year old ego-driven version of myself how things got derailed
Mick Wright
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Exploring the things that make us special and unique, even our failures and inadequacies, and being genuine and true to ourselves as we work, develop and create - these are key to finding true success and happiness.

Srinivas Rao wrote The Art of Being Unmistakable through a series of Facebook status updates after coming to the point where he just wanted to be honest, even if it meant committing career suicide.

The path of success he had been following wasn't working. Rao wa
Doran Barton
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I took my daughter to the hospital today so she could get an medicine infusion that she needs every eight weeks because of a chronic condition. These infusion sessions usually last about three hours of so, so I decided to read something while I waited. Looking the "recommended titles" the Kindle Store provided, I came across this book by Srinivas Rao. I had heard a little about it from the ravings of Glenn Beck on his radio show. Apparently, Glenn was so impressed with Rao's book (which Glenn ju ...more
Aaron Davis
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
"This is the opportunity to tattoo your soul print across the hearts and minds of humanity. It's the opportunity for a performance where you leave your heart on the stage."

I read this book in two short settings. Spanning only 130 double spaced pages, it's not tough to finish. Rao puts together a great collection of thought provoking essays to challenge the creative in you to put aside all of your ego driven ideas and just create. The only reason I gave it four stars is because he use
Laura J Tong
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it

Definitely a good read
Srinivas has done a great job of putting his view across and managed to entertain and keep me turning the pages too. I couldn't agree more with his underlying idea. He definitely delivered on all that he promised the book would be. Only left off one star due to there being some statements that weren't backed up and therefore left me doubting or less than convinced. Overall a really good read that prompted lots of enjoyable discussion with my hubby - both recommend this as e
Alex Taylor
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If I want to do interesting work, take risks, and see what I am really made of, I have to be willing to use a compass instead of a map. The day I ditched the map for the compass is the day I walked off the edge of the Earth, and my work became an experience that only I can create for people. Every time I have been given a map, I have gotten lost. The map was based on where somebody else wanted me to end up. By following the map, at best I will become a pale imitation of the person who drew the m ...more
Adil Najmuddin
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Although this book is overwhelming with quotes, largely from the same people, and is extremely short, it isn't /entirely/ 'bad' or poorly written. But it is largely the same advice you'd get from a other 'be true to yourself', lifestyle design books, a common trend since 4HWW, except isn't nearly as good. Read if you want, but for better alternatives, you may want to try authors like James Altucher, Seth Godin, or Chris Guillebeau.
Annie
Nov 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book is nothing but a bunch of blog posts. There is no progression from one point to another; he just repeats himself over and over and adds quotes, mostly by people I've never heard of. I think they must be friends of his; he quotes the same three people over and over. I did pick up one good idea from him: Make a dent in the universe. I've been pondering it ever since. But I'm not sure its worth the price I paid for the whole book.
Mighty Rasing
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
It's a good book that shows us that one's career or calling isn't about having a road map, it's about having a compass to guide your exploration in this vast unexplored life. It certainly pushed ba k against my practice (& yes I do recommend it to people) of having 5-year plans.

It's insightful and uplifting.
Sridhar
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book lives up to the title. In our life we always make choices and decisions based on what the society expects out of us and seldom what we really want to do. Srinivas shares his own life experiences with honesty which I am sure will help readers to redefine the metrics by which we define success.
JASON L CASEY
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting thoughts.

More of a millennial type reading.

Hints for life that i feel are common sense, you shouldn't have to be told to think of this stuff. It should be second nature by the time you're in your 20's

Still pretty decent reading.
bryan s arnold
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Always Gives Something Valuable

I always get something to take away apply to my life every time I read something from Srinivas Rao. And this book is no exception. Quick read with plenty of substance. I recommend it highly.
Michael Ronn
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring

Thought_provoking. While there's nothing new here per se, I love the way Rao frames his ideas, particularly about following a compass and not a map. There are so many quotable lines in this book, it's insane. A good, fast read. Ray is a very good essayist.
Olga Kark
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
There are ideas definitely worth sharing, but it's not a sterling book. It's more like notes with potential. It obvious that author loves his life, enjoys it and doesn't want to spent time on polishing what is already written.

• The Left Hand of God (The Left Hand of God, #1)
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
  • Deep Sky (Travis Chase, #3)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • Ghost Country (Travis Chase, #2)
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
  • The Last Four Things (The Left Hand of God, #2)
  • After Life
  • Departure
  • The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
  • Free Prize Inside!: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It
  • Notes on a Shared Landscape: Making Sense of the American West
  • The View From The Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way In An Uncertain World
  • We Are All Weird: The Myth of Mass and The End of Compliance
“My greatest sin was to waste my life believing that I wasn't capable of something more.” 4 likes
“None of these things define you as a person: Your education The size of your bank account Your job title Your failures Your successes And sadly, we let so many of these things rule our lives. Obsession with crossing off the checkboxes of society's life plan leads to little other than therapy, midlife crises, and depression.” 4 likes