Start by marking “Poppy's Dilemma” as Want to Read:
Poppy's Dilemma

Poppy's Dilemma

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  361 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Poppy Abbott seems to have it all. Bright, successful and attractive, she lives in a beautiful apartment with sweeping views of Sydney. However, since the recent death of her beloved grandmother, she's been struggling to come to terms with her grief.

Feeling nostalgic one evening, Poppy decides to sort through her grandmother's belongings, which she hasn't been able to face
Published December 1st 2013 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Poppy's Dilemma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poppy's Dilemma

Sharon
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Six months ago Poppy Abbott's much loved grandmother passed away and still Poppy misses her like crazy. Sitting in her beautiful apartment which has the best views of Sydney, Poppy feels like taking a trip down memory lane. Looking through photo albums brings back wonderful memories of her childhood and also lovely fond memories of her grandmother. Poppy comes across an old leather bound book with the initials of MA on the front of it. Opening it up she soon realises that it's a diary that belon ...more
Dale Harcombe
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
After a disastrous work situation Poppy, while sorting out some of her grandmother’s effects after her recent death, finds an old diary with the name Maggie Abbott. She also finds some letters. But who is Maggie? What relation is she to Poppy? What is her story and why are some pages of the diary missing?
As often happens in stories that encompass two eras, I liked the story of Maggie which occurs around the time of World War 1 better than that of Poppy. This was mainly because I found Maggie ea
Brenda
Escaping her job and the unwanted attentions of her married boss, Gill, Poppy Abbott took leave which was owed to her, left her beautiful apartment overlooking the majestic views of Sydney and headed for the country to her grandmother’s home. Nan had passed away six months previously, and Poppy missed her terribly. She hadn’t been back since the funeral, and felt now was a good time to clean out the house, and sort through her beloved Nan’s belongings.

She had come across an old diary in an box
Paula Clark
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it! I really enjoyed the early Australian historical side of the storyline and that Poppy felt connected to her ancestor through her diary. The fact that the storyline was based on an actual historical event in the authors hometown gave it all the more authenticity.
Zoey
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5★
Kristy Cook
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow such a story that takes u back in time and takes u to a time and place where life was so different to what we have now it reminds me of the sacrifice that so many Australian men did for us when they went to war and for those who never came home but also the ones that came back broken and a after seeing what they had to see I would come back broken too:( I am constantly telling my kids and reminding them that if not for what all the men n women did so long ago what we have now could be so ver ...more
Amanda
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I finished it in a night, I just couldn't put it down. The way the historical story was woven through the present day story was excellent. The different perspective on World War 1 was also really interesting and I really liked the fact that the characters of Poppy and Jim were flawed and normal, made them both seem more realistic. Overall a fantastic read by a great Aussie author!
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
* 3.5 stars as I liked the past storyline thread much more than the current day thread/main characters. Well researched historical story, that definitely left me wanting more from the past storyline & characters.
Jenny Wise
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I couldn’t finish this book. I just couldn’t engage with it. Apparently Poppy moves to the country. I felt like I didn’t even get to the beginning of the plot.
Tanya
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Grieving after the death of her Nan, Poppy finds an old diary in amongst the family photos. As she gets swept into the story of Maggie and Alex, she returns to her Nan's house to sort things out, as well as take a much needed break from work. From there, is finds herself thrust into the life of her neighbours, Jim and Lacey, as well as the local CWA.

Look, I enjoyed this book. The story of Alex and Maggie was sweet and addictive, the telling through diary entries and letters from war were an ende
Melanie
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Gina
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful Australian novel that was reflective of the ruralness of our country. Enjoyed and easily followed the parallels of both stories - very cleverly knit together and apart showing a well balanced story. Well developed and highly likeable characters in Poppy and Jim, and the characters of Maggie and Alex were also delicately handled in its wartime setting. Loved how it all came together in the end!
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

In a slight departure from her usual offering of rural romance, Karly Lane blends a contemporary and historical narrative in her fourth novel, Poppy's Dilemma.

Poppy Abbot is sorting through her late grandmother's belongings after a difficult day at work when she discovers a diary penned by a young woman whom she assumes to be a relative, Maggie Abbot. At first glance the journal seems to be the idle ramblings of a young girl desperate to avoid the chore of milking the cows, with a crush on her b
Lauren K
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’m a pretty big fan of Karly Lane’s rural novels that seem to always offer up just enough mystery, small town community connections and romance to keep me turning the pages and leaving me wanting more.

Poppy returns to her small, country home town and moves into her grandmother’s cottage. She is determined to learn more about the woman named Maggie Abbott whose diary entries she has inherited with her grandmother’s belongings. As she’s drawn into these old letters and diary entries she becomes f
Stacey Houllis
A beautiful well written book by Karly Lane It is about Poppy Abbot how she finds a diary of one relatives from World War 1 when she was packing a few of her grandmothers belongings after she passed away. It is the diary of Maggie Abbot, Poppy as reads the diary she Learns of the love affair between Maggie and Alex Wilson. This Sends Poppy on Journey to go back to grandmother 's country home to find more about Maggie. It is here she meets Jim Nash and his Daughter Lacey the neighbour next door w ...more
Diane
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lane-karly
I loved this story, my second of Karly Lane's books. Though it is set in different eras (my very favourite way of reading a story) it all flows so beautifully. The characters in WW1 era are believable-strong, brave and, as that time already predicts, tragic. In the modern day story I could feel the characters of the past in their actions of today. A lovely story that I simply had to keep reading once I started. Thank you Karly, I am now hunting for the rest of your books...though I know I do hav ...more
Vanessa
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Like all of Karly's books, I really loved it!! I felt like I was right there beside Poppy reading her Grandmother's diary n helping her solve the mystery! I could vividly see the little country town both Poppy n her Grandmother lived in, especially the little bridge and hall and what had happen there!! Thank you once again Karly for an excellent and very moving read! I can't wait to read more of your wonderful books! :-)
Mandi
Jul 21, 2014 added it
I completed adored this novel! This was partly due to the story of Poppy and of Maggie, but also because it took me back to a place of my childhood, a place of beautiful memories of growing up spending time with my Nan, learning to bake, being part of a small town and hearing Nan’s own childhood stories.

Read the full review here: http://blog.thatbookyoulike.com.au/tw...
Tracy
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
I really enjoyed this book. The author entwined the past and the present beautifully. I loved the historical reference to the war and the shocking times of the era in that it was such an integral part of the story and told of these terrible war years so well.
I'll be back for more from this author.
I loved the story of Maggie and Alex (in the past) way more than than Poppy (in the present).
This was a bigger story than I was expecting
Dianne Sidebottom
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd like to give this a 4.5+ The diary of Maggie's looking back on life in 1914-1919 brought many issues we today don't know today. Yes it would have been a different world of sorts n this story coming from true events that are in archives. The story certainly left me emotional for a time around Alex n Maggie final moments. Hey not a story but true events did happen. As for Poppy n Jim giving up wasn't to be an option.
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: light-reading
This is chick-lit, and a pretty good beach book. I picked it up because it was $3 and because it was written by an Australian author and I need a few more for that category. Nothing too earth shattering here, but I did love the nod to the allure of knowing more about where your family comes from and the stories of your ancestors.
Kerrie Paterson
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The discovery of an old diary leads us into a split timeline book. I really enjoyed the history and how it tied into modern times. Great characters, lovely use of description. I'll be adding Karly Lane to my 'authors to seek out' list :)
Robyn Coyle
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great story - kept you interested - enjoyed the history
Anita-maree
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
wonderful story.. thank you
Kerri Fitzmaurice
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great Karly Lane novel.
Bettina
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Karly. Enjoyed reading Maggie and Poppy's stories through the different decades. Such a tragic love story. I love reading books set in small town communities.
Jaye
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed delving through the history in this book. Such a beautifully written story.
Sophie
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's really enjoyable to read . Especially when the Australian historical was in it.
William Pickford
Feb 03, 2016
Jodie O'Loughlin
Feb 19, 2017
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • Hope's Road
  • Darkening Skies (Dungirri #3)
  • The Girl in the Yellow Vest
  • Brumby's Run (The Wild Australia Stories #1)
  • Queen of the Road
  • Ryders Ridge
  • Man Drought
  • Burning Lies (Border Watch #3)
  • Heartland
  • Blackwattle Lake
  • Time Will Tell
  • Redstone Station
Karly Lane lives on the beautiful Mid North Coast of NSW in Australia. A certified small town girl, she is most happy in a little town where everyone knows who your grand parents were. She writes women’s fiction – everything from romantic suspense to family sagas and life in rural Australia. She has romantic suspense titles published under Karlene Blakemore-Mowle and her latest release, Third Time ...more