Start by marking “Thirteen (Adam Grant, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thirteen (Adam Grant, #1)

Thirteen

(Adam Grant #1)

Born at midnight in London, on the stroke of the new millennium, Adam is the target of a cult that believes boys born on this date must die before the end of their thirteenth year. Twelve boys have been killed so far. Coron, the crazy cult leader, will stop at nothing to bring in his new kingdom. And now he is planning a bombing spectacular across London to celebrate the s ...more
Published February 13th 2014 by Macmillan Children's Books

C.G. Drews
WOW. That was creepy and disturbing and kind of evil and utterly addictive. I seriously needed to know what was going to happen next.
description

I'm not even sure how to review this. It was WILDLY different from most books I read. There was a sticker on the cover saying "for fans of Cherub and Gone!" which I'm not 100% sure I agree with. I definitely see the Gone similarities in the creeptasticness. But it wasn't very CHERUB-ISH. SO. Yes. Review = hard.

It's all about cults which, I admit, isn't my favour
Thomas
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
JULY 2015:
★ 3.5 STARS ★

CRAZY. ADDICTIVE. THRILLING.

This book was so so addictive! It was tense, exhilarating & had me on the edge of my seat.

The secrets, reveals and twists were AMAZING, keeping me shocked throughout -- never knowing what was about to happen on this roller coaster of a story. Brilliant.

And I was questioning everything! No one can be trusted -- everyone is so mysterious & suspicious!

SO MUCH SUSPENSE!

The only disappoiment was the lack of depth to the characters & char
Sue
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
"Thirteen is the last year of childhood....the boy must be killed before he is a man." - this is a quote from Coron's Great Book . Coron is the deluded leader of cult known as The People. The cult believes that 13 (evil) male children born at the turn of the millenium (in 2000 AD) must be kiiled in order for their "Master" to retain his powers and annoint Coron as the King.
This is an addled excuse for a novel. I really found it difficult to read as the narrative is all over the place. Adam, the
Molly Whitelock
May 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
SERIOUS OPINION TIME!

I was disappointed with this because it's blurb was so good! I love the idea and damn the cover but I had quite a few problems:

1. As a fifteen year old I felt the book quite condescending. I mean he is thirteen not an idiot.
2. I didn't like Coron's character development. Now I know this is a really picky thing to say but I just need to get it out there. I felt like it was all too obvious, I wanted to question if Coron was right and have his past and acts reveal that he is
- ̗̀meg ̖́-
DNF at 44%

I was really quite disappointed with this read. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting it to be a masterpiece but I really couldn't get involved with the characters or the plot at all. There was basically no depth or background to any of the characters, and it seemed like new ones were being introduced every other chapter. The story was really quite original and a good idea, but the way that it was written ruined it for me. It was also weird to read about a main character with the same
Nicky Foster
Apr 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read Thirteen because my daughter had asked to read it and I wanted to make sure it was appropriate. I just don't understand what age group this is aimed at. The way it has been written is so basic that it seems like a Enid Blyton level but the plot line is too scary for them. If it's meant for teens then it's an insult! The dialogue is stilted, clichéd and the 'teen speak' is cringeworthy.
There is no character development or description and the plot jumped all over the place and was pretty c
Amber
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
I received this book via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Unfortunately this book just wasn't for me at all. It reminded me of the, imo much better, Numbers series, and although this was a quick read, it fell flat in many ways.

The plot was very fast-paced and it seems like we are so caught up in the action that there is no opportunity to get to know the characters. I therefore didn't find myself rooting for them as the story unfolded. In fact, by the end I really wasn't interested at a
Sara
Mar 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: earcs
The very first thing that hit me as I started reading this book was that it was not at all ‘YA’ material, or if it is then the very young YA readers. The main character Adam and all his friends are thirteen years old or there about. A lot of the issues he deals with (asides from a crazy cult hunting him down of course) are therefore very…I want to say innocent? I found it almost cute with the way he looked at life and how he felt about bullying as well as his best friend (kind of sort of turned ...more
Vicky
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: summer-2k14-woo
Perhaps I'm being too harsh in giving it such a low rating. However personally as a reader, I felt that this book did not love up to the expectations I had for it. It has an interesting premise, definitely sinister in some places, but it lacked a true connection with the characters.

I wanted to cheer on Adam, defending himself against this cult. I wanted to sympathise with Simon. Instead frustration took over me, especially as some scenes became too ridiculous for me to comprehend. It was as if
Nicole
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a scary book for a young teen to read. Cults do exist though and this is an intense chase through London by 2 13yr olds to stop The People coming to power.
I would recommend it as something different to the dystopian fiction out. And for fans of The Cherub series.
Ameera
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
A good story but it was written for teenagers i guess not for my age, maybe people between the ages "13 - 16" would enjoy it more.
Morgan browne
This book was very good ! I really enjoyed all books in this serious!
Marie the Librarian
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3,5 stars.
It was easy and exciting, but it fell a bit short on some aspects and I felt that the characters were a bit weak. The cult aspect is very interesting.
Tundextra
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
So this is definitely a book for children, just from the language and story building (and the publisher being MacMillan's Children's Books!), and it is a quite a gripping tale about a cult going after a 13 year old boy.... but damn.. the murders, violence and torture(!) feel well out of place in this thriller. I think the violence should be toned down and the story building toned up. 6 out of 12 from me to you... but the actual overall story is still worth a read.
Amanda G. (Nellie and Co.
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've spoken previously about, how sometimes, I can look at a book and read it's synopsis and just know that I will enjoy the book. It's a rare gift and is something both my Nanna and Mum can do too, we can all just look at a book and know that it'll be for us. I recall the day I stared at Thirteen in Asda, willing myself to buy it, yet I did not, and I recall receiving it on NetGalley yet not being able to read it before it was archived, but when that third chance came knocking on the door in th ...more
Ryan
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Although this was written for a younger audience than myself, the story was very well thought out and the characters did have a little depth to them.
Once I got into the story I found myself reading the majority of the book today, which with me doesn’t happen a lot, so my attention had well and truly been captured with this.

Emelie 🦉
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay, this was not a good book.
Nella
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, young-adult
Fast paced; meets the aim of attracting reluctant readers
16PoleyH
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unpredictable, fast-paced and exciting, thirteen is an amazing book that I would highly reccomend for fans of cherub, young bond or Alex Rider. There is a twist on every page, and it really is worth reading.
15Hussainr
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Born at midnight in London, on the stroke of the new millennium, Adam is the last and final target from the thirteen innocent children. Twelve boys have been killed so far. Now Coron is planning a celebration as bombing London whilst they kill Adam. Adam and Megan are now all on there own to face Coron and his men, whilst the police will not help...
Abby Annie
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
When I read the summary, I automatically thought that it sounded a lot like I Am Number Four which I was excited about. Being chased by a clan who wants to kill you and being the "chosen one?" Definitely has an I Am Number Four vibe. However, when I read into it, it became evident that this book has its own flare.

I loved the storyline of thirteen kids being born on the 1st of January 2000 and a clan of crazy ass people chasing after them to kill them before they hit the age of 14 so that their l
Alma
I received this book via a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This review can also be found on my blog.

My Thoughts:

For a Young Adult book, I’m pleasantly surprised with the subject matter and how it was handled. It’s pretty full on for a book at the younger end of the YA scale – the characters are thirteen. Cults are something I’ve never read about fictitiously before, so I thought it was a very interesting story.

My gripe is not with the actual story, which I think is relevant and really good – it’s
Ellinna
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The reason of which I decided to read this book was because the appearance of the book hooked me into learning more about it. Its yellow covered captured my eye. Then I read the back of the book and even tho it didn't have many words on the back it still made me want to know more about what happens. 'Thirteen' by Hoyle was probably the best book I have read. I like how it has so much suspense near the end of the chapters and throughout the book and the suspension makes me want to read the next p ...more
Karen Whittard
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I read thirteen as I wanted to try and read some books by people I hadn't read anything by before.

I love the cover, the spines, the way the book is set out in like a diary entry type style. I was intrigued by the concept of the book and I was some what satisfied by the book as a whole.

The book is about a cult who believe that the people born on midnight on the turn of the millennium are all evil and must die and so the cult set out to kill them all. They manage to find 12 of the children but t
3asheena
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
First of all, I must admit I bought this book because of it's cover and nothing else (not something I do while choosing books). It turns out, I could not decide whether this book is for teenagers or not... It seems too scary for a teenager to be reading this tbh and for adults, I don't think it has the language to keep an adult impressed/focused.
The story is about this psycho, Coron, who believes that he's going to rule the world, if he killed thirteen specific children, with the help of his cu
Milly Robinson
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A problem which Adam had was that he was born on the millennium and that there was a cult after all thirteen children that were born on the millennium. Adam was the last that needed to be killed. He could make it past the age of thirteen.
I disliked the ending of the book because I felt that it all happened very suddenly and that it was very confusing.
Adam by the end of the story had come across a lot of challenges and was now wiser. Adam was still called 'special' but all Adam wanted was a nor
Roza Jackson
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm going to be honest, there were three reasons as to why I picked up this book:
1- It was only £3.50
2- It was a unique, bright cover that would look great on my bookshelf.
3- It was everything I wanted in my own book cover if I were to ever be published.

-----------
I did not connect with this story at all, and in all honesty, it was boring. This is definitely not a YA book, if anything as others have said it is a very young YA book, which I guess is to be expected when the "Heroes" of the story
Sophie Molly
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I saw this in a book shop and picked it up because the cover really stood out to me. The book sounded amazing so I brought it home with me. However, I was not that impressed.
I feel like the the story was too rushed and I felt like there wasn't enough character development. The characters were thrust into the situation and had to deal with it but didn't seem to lean much from it. I didn't feel like there was enough suspense to keep me hooked.
However the story was very good and imaginative, it w
Steph
Jun 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nbhs, read-2014
Don't judge a book by its cover. This book has an awesome cover.
A whole lot of stuff happens to characters you don't really care about for reasons that aren't really convincing.
Tom Hoyle obviously believes that boys only want to read action because that's all this book is. Boys don't. They want to read about characters they care about. You need character development for that. That's also what keeps them coming back for the sequels.
A waste of a good premise.
Francesca T.E
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book with an amazing ending however it was not satisfied with the ending but I won't spoil that for you
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • Locked (Locked, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • The Seeing
  • Chocolate SOS (Jess Jordan, #5)
  • Stones for My Father
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • Mister Creecher
  • Too Small to Fail
  • The Drowning (The Drowning #1)
  • India Dark
  • The 100 Society
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • Earthfall (Earthfall, #1)
  • Saving Daisy
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Echo Boy
  • Mutant City (Mutant City, #1)

Adam Grant (2 books)
  • Spiders (Adam Grant, #2)