Start by marking “The Last Night Of October” as Want to Read:
The Last Night Of October

Read Book

The Last Night Of October

Seventy-year-old Gerald Forsyth dreads Halloween.

Every year, on October 31st, a lone child has knocked on his door – a nightmarish reminder of a tragedy from Gerald’s past.

As each Halloween came and went, Gerald has been able to keep his door locked and the monstrous memory at bay, but the ravages of emphysema have left him a disgruntled and feeble-minded old man.

When a
Published October 9th 2013 by Bad Moon Books/Evil Jester Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Night Of October, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Night Of October

Start your review of The Last Night Of October
Brandy
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book, #TheLastNightofOctober, from #NetGalley, so a big thank you to #NetGalley. The edition I did read is the Kindle edition that was released today, which is not available on Good Reads/Amazon at the moment.

This is the first book that I read by Greg Chapman and it most definitely will not be my last.
I read it in one-sitting, right before bed, not only because it is a quick read but also because I absolutely could not go to sleep without knowing what happened next. The
Mike
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
The story is about two boys (Donnie & Gerald) who look forward to Halloween every year. This year a big snow storm is coming and the parents won't let them go. But they decide to go out anyways and something happens that will come back to haunt them. The story moves forward many years to Halloween day and what happens when someone comes knocking on the door. A good quick Halloween read. I gave it 3 1/2 stars. ...more
Iseult Murphy
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Halloween horror story

When Lisa Morton, the expert on all things Halloween, gives her seal of approval in the foreword to this novella, you know you’re in for a treat.
Gerald hates Halloween, but when his nurse comes to his house to administer her evening check up, she realizes there is more to his fear than simply being an old man.
Excellent story that is satisfying on all levels. I also loved the addition of the author’s own illustrations.
Kasha's Book Sematary
3,5*

Gerald is 70 years old, sick and wants nothing to do with Halloween. Every year for Halloween he closes his door and pretends he is not home. This Halloween he is not going to have the quiet night he expected when a new nurse comes to take care of him and makes a horrible mistake letting Halloween and something else, something dark, into the house .

This novella was really well written and it felt like a new take on your typical point horror/goosebumps stories but with adults.

For me I felt li
Nick Cato
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nifty tale of a 70 year-old man who dreads Halloween. He suffers emphysema, and when a substitute house nurse comes by to check on him, she lets a trick-or-treater in who causes both their worlds to meet with a dark destiny.

Chapman takes familiar Halloween tropes and twists them into something fresh ... even his back story section is exciting and well done. A fine seasonal read and a great horror tale for anytime of the year.
Frank Errington
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Halloween. I think a big part of my affinity for the holiday is the chance to be someone or something else, if only for a few hours. It's what also led to my involvement in community theatre and a 35 year career as a radio personallity.

Then there's the dark side of Halloween. One night a year when it's acceptable to revel in scaring and being scared. Yep, I love Halloween.

Enter Greg Chapman, an Austalian artist and Horror writer, who grew up in a world without Halloween. It's true,
Zakk Madness
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The Last Night of October" is a quick and hypnotizing Halloween yarn. Greg Chapman (author of Torment & The Noctuary) is a talented scribe and he does a fantastic job here. Providing rich imagery, thick tension and heartache throughout. He had me hanging on every word of this tale, illustrating and craftily weaving both the dark sense and youthful spirit of my favorite season. I could see the snow covered ground, I could hear the heavy knocks on the door.

I was invigorated by young Gerald's you
Marty Young
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For an Australian writer who didn't grow up with Halloween, Greg Chapman has captured the feel of this holiday perfectly in this riveting horror yarn. It's the type of story you can (and I did) read in one sitting, engrossed and intrigued, and then surprised at where this tale ends up. It's certainly no ordinary Halloween story, and that's a very good thing.

Contains some fantastic illustrations by the author, too.

Well worth a read.
Ellen
Nov 24, 2013 added it
This is an excellent creepy, and disturbing read.
Jake
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Gerald Forsythe dreads Halloween. As an old man confined to a wheelchair, he is dependent upon oxygen to help him breathe through bouts of emphysema. He watches the door, waiting, wondering where his nurse is. She was expected to come and switch out his medicines and ensure he will make it through the night. She is late as the clock rolls on; Halloween is coming.

Kelli is a substitute nurse. Gerald’s normal nurse couldn’t make it due to a sudden illness. Kelli, unlike Gerald, loves Halloween and
John J Questore
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's no secret that I am a huge fan of Australian Horror author Greg Chapman - in fact, he jokingly (?) said I'm his "Annie Wilkes" (Stephen King reference). But all it takes is for you to read just one of his novellas to come to the same realization I did - Greg knows how to write!

If you haven't read anything by him (despite my reviews - shame on you), you couldn't choose a better place to start than with this story - The Last Night of October.

Greg weaves a tale of friendship, loss, and regret
Steve Stred
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Huge thanks to Omnium Gatherum. Netgalley and Greg Chapman for approving this for me to read.

I've hailed my love of Greg's work for a number of years now and when I saw this pop up on Netgalley, I couldn't resist, even knowing that if I was approved I might not get it read before release date. Once I was approved though, I had to put my other reads aside for an evening and read this. At about 70 pages, this was an easy single sitting read and for those who might be on the slower side of reading,
Bel Riddle
Apr 14, 2021 rated it it was ok
I want to start thanking the author, the publisher and netgalley. I’ve been reading lots of horror fiction and no fiction lately, and when the chance to read a novella about a spooky visitor on Halloween night I jumped into it.
Too sad that I had to FORCE MYSELF to read this. For the first half of this novel all I wanted to do was close the book because I didn’t care enough for the main character, Gerald, and it wasn’t –it really isn’t—worth it, having to sit there and read about how annoying Ke
Mary
Apr 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I began this novella thinking that I'd read for a bit before getting some work done. So much for those plans. Once I started it I couldn't stop and read right through in one sitting. The entire story takes place on two Halloween evenings in the life of Gerald Forsyth. The current Halloween, with a terrified George in his wheelchair on Oxygen and a Halloween in the 1950's, the last Halloween that started out fun and ended in terror. Halloween was never fun again for Gerald.
Every Halloween Gerald
Audrey (Warped Shelves)
Apr 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalleys
This review is based on an ARC of The Last Night Of October which I received courtesy of NetGalley and the author.

I love Halloween! I love authors who write about Halloween even more! When it comes to a fast-paced, eerie, gory Halloween tale, Greg Chapman hits the nail on the head. The Last Night Of October is wonderfully paced and teeming with intrigue and macabre--a perfect novella to get you in the spooky-month spirit, even in April!

I was hooked from start to finish, read the whole t
Irene
Apr 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Poor Gerald is not long for this world. Alone and lonely near the end of his days, his only visitors are the nurse who comes to check his vitals and a yearly terrifying specter of his past that makes itself known every Halloween. On this particular night, he has a new nurse, who asks too many questions, over stays her welcome, and invites Gerald's greatest fear to come on in.

When I read the description I thought it sounded familiar but it wasn't until a few pages in that I realized I had read th
Darshayita Thakur
Apr 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you NetGalley for the e-ARC!
The story follows a 70- year old man, Gerald Forsyth. He has emphysema and is terrified of Halloween.
On the last day of October, children dress up in costumes and go trick or treating to collect candy; isn't it so much fun? Apparently not for Gerald, who did go trick or treating many years ago with his best friend Donny, in the middle of a blizzard. However, he returned alone.
Something happened all those years ago, that makes the old man shiver and cower whenev
Paul Preston
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Last Night in October is a unique take on the Halloween horror story. Gerald is an old in a wheelchair with a fear with a fear of Halloween for a good reason. Something terrible happened in Geralds childhood with his best friend on Halloween and the past isn’t staying dead. However, on this night, Gerald’s visiting nurse is with him as the sun goes down.
“There was only the boy’s blood and his eyes and she believed she might quite possibly drown in both of them.”
This book has major tension b
Michael Hicks
Apr 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, horror
Turns out, I read this story a couple years ago as part of Halloween Carnival 3. It still holds up! Here's what I had to say back then (happily, my assessment upon giving this a second read hasn't changed!):

THE LAST NIGHT OF OCTOBER by Greg Chapman
Every Halloween, there's a knock on Gerald's door from a Trick or Treater unlike any of the other neighborhood kids. Now wheelchair bound and infirm, Gerald tries to shoo away his nurse before sunset, but the two quickly find themselves entrenched and
Brittney
May 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Ok so....what? What the f---? What the hell kind of ending is that?

This book was somewhat scary, but not for very long. It literally has three characters that make up the whole story, and one of them is completely unlikable for the most part. I could not have predicted the ending if I tried, because the ending made absolutely no sense.

Having said that, the book was very well written, if a bit short and vague on certain details. I enjoyed it. But then I didn't.

I may look into some of Greg Chapman
Ashley Sartorius
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you netgalley for the e-arc copy.

This was a quick fast story. I throughly enjoyed the story and the concept of the storyline. It was quick and straight to the point. It was also really cool to hear my home state mentioned. If your looking for a quick slight creepy Halloween story I would recommend this book.
Stacey
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
70 year old Gerald hates Halloween. Every Halloween at dusk, a visitor arrives that Gerald doesn't let into his home. That is until this year when his nurse, Kelli, opens the door. The little boy that comes in is not a trick or treater. He is here for Gerald but why?

I adore this story. It's one I will read every Halloween.
Alexandra
May 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Simple little Halloween story; short and sweet. It's not anything that will keep you up at night, but it's still a fun and quick read, if perhaps a little bit basic.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Kaili (Owl Book World)
Jun 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
So I have mixed feelings about about The Last Night of October. The story and premise is awesome. I just kind of wish the story wasn’t a novella and was more in depth. It would’ve been nice to have more build up to the story. Overall the story is really good!
Michelle
Oct 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
1.5/5 it was just ok, I ended up skimming it just to finish it. I don't understand why it's rated so high, I wish I hadn't wasted my time. ...more
Alan
Apr 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-releases
This review is for an ARC received through NetGalley.
Greg Chapman's The Last Night of October reads like an old school scary story. Though the author is Australian, the story has a very classic Americana feel to it. This short tale feels like something Bradbury would have penned. While the main character, Gerald, is frustrating at first as he refuses to tell even an iota of why Halloween scares him so much, as the tale plays out everything is explained satisfactorily, and with some nice plot twi
Emily Haynes
May 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Gerald is a elderly man who hate Halloween. His nurse is about to find out why. Suspense filled Halloween tale.
Debbi Smith
May 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
One of the scariest books I've read in a while. ...more
Amanda Lyons
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
A classic Halloween in so many ways. I genuinely enjoyed reading it and seeing where the story took me.
Q & A with Horror...: The Last Night of October now available! 1 1 Oct 22, 2013 08:50PM

• Dark Hollow (Levi Stoltzfus, #1)
  • Burnt Sugar
  • The Redwood Asylum: A Paranormal Horror
  • Your Frightful Spirit Stayed
  • A History of the Vampire in Popular Culture: Love at First Bite
  • The Nature of Witches
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Malignant Summer
  • Ruby Holler
  • The Banquet
  • The Bully - A Paranormal Thriller
  • The Bone Code (Temperance Brennan, #20)
  • The Ophelia Girls
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
Two-time international Bram Stoker Award-nominee®*, Greg Chapman is a horror author and artist based in Queensland, Australia.

Greg is the author of several novels, novellas and short stories, including his award-nominated debut novel, Hollow House (Omnium Gatherum) and collections, Vaudeville and Other Nightmares (Specul8 Publishing) and This Sublime Darkness and Other Dark Stories (Things in the