Start by marking “The Last Night Of October” as Want to Read:
The Last Night Of October

Read Book

The Last Night Of October

Seventy-year-old Gerald Forsyth dreads Halloween.

Every year, on October 31st, a lone child has knocked on his door – a nightmarish reminder of a tragedy from Gerald’s past.

As each Halloween came and went, Gerald has been able to keep his door locked and the monstrous memory at bay, but the ravages of emphysema have left him a disgruntled and feeble-minded old man.

When a
Published October 9th 2013 by Bad Moon Books/Evil Jester Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Night Of October, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Night Of October

Start your review of The Last Night Of October
Mike
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
The story is about two boys (Donnie & Gerald) who look forward to Halloween every year. This year a big snow storm is coming and the parents won't let them go. But they decide to go out anyways and something happens that will come back to haunt them. The story moves forward many years to Halloween day and what happens when someone comes knocking on the door. A good quick Halloween read. I gave it 3 1/2 stars. ...more
Nick Cato
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nifty tale of a 70 year-old man who dreads Halloween. He suffers emphysema, and when a substitute house nurse comes by to check on him, she lets a trick-or-treater in who causes both their worlds to meet with a dark destiny.

Chapman takes familiar Halloween tropes and twists them into something fresh ... even his back story section is exciting and well done. A fine seasonal read and a great horror tale for anytime of the year.
Frank Errington
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Halloween. I think a big part of my affinity for the holiday is the chance to be someone or something else, if only for a few hours. It's what also led to my involvement in community theatre and a 35 year career as a radio personallity.

Then there's the dark side of Halloween. One night a year when it's acceptable to revel in scaring and being scared. Yep, I love Halloween.

Enter Greg Chapman, an Austalian artist and Horror writer, who grew up in a world without Halloween. It's true,
Zakk Madness
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The Last Night of October" is a quick and hypnotizing Halloween yarn. Greg Chapman (author of Torment & The Noctuary) is a talented scribe and he does a fantastic job here. Providing rich imagery, thick tension and heartache throughout. He had me hanging on every word of this tale, illustrating and craftily weaving both the dark sense and youthful spirit of my favorite season. I could see the snow covered ground, I could hear the heavy knocks on the door.

I was invigorated by young Gerald's you
Marty Young
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For an Australian writer who didn't grow up with Halloween, Greg Chapman has captured the feel of this holiday perfectly in this riveting horror yarn. It's the type of story you can (and I did) read in one sitting, engrossed and intrigued, and then surprised at where this tale ends up. It's certainly no ordinary Halloween story, and that's a very good thing.

Contains some fantastic illustrations by the author, too.

Well worth a read.
Ellen
Nov 24, 2013 added it
This is an excellent creepy, and disturbing read.
Jake
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Gerald Forsythe dreads Halloween. As an old man confined to a wheelchair, he is dependent upon oxygen to help him breathe through bouts of emphysema. He watches the door, waiting, wondering where his nurse is. She was expected to come and switch out his medicines and ensure he will make it through the night. She is late as the clock rolls on; Halloween is coming.

Kelli is a substitute nurse. Gerald’s normal nurse couldn’t make it due to a sudden illness. Kelli, unlike Gerald, loves Halloween and
John J Questore
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's no secret that I am a huge fan of Australian Horror author Greg Chapman - in fact, he jokingly (?) said I'm his "Annie Wilkes" (Stephen King reference). But all it takes is for you to read just one of his novellas to come to the same realization I did - Greg knows how to write!

If you haven't read anything by him (despite my reviews - shame on you), you couldn't choose a better place to start than with this story - The Last Night of October.

Greg weaves a tale of friendship, loss, and regret
Matthew Tait
Matthew
Jun 15, 2016
Brandon
Jul 02, 2016
Q & A with Horror...: The Last Night of October now available! 1 1 Oct 22, 2013 08:50PM
Two-time international Bram Stoker Award-nominee®*, Greg Chapman is a horror author and artist based in Queensland, Australia.

Greg is the author of several novels, novellas and short stories, including his award-nominated debut novel, Hollow House (Omnium Gatherum) and collections, Vaudeville and Other Nightmares (Specul8 Publishing) and This Sublime Darkness and Other Dark Stories (Things in the