Start by marking “The Revenge of Kaivalya” as Want to Read:
The Revenge of Kaivalya

The Revenge of Kaivalya

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Deep within the womb-like forests of the Western Ghats, an entity manifests itself at the malevolent moment when the ocean rises to devour hundreds of thousands. Kencha, an unwitting witness to Its birth, is soon found dead – his body branded with a strange message written in HaLegannada, an ancient version of modern Kannada. Even as Dhruv Kaveriappa, Chief Conservator of ...more
Paperback, 1, 392 pages
Published 2013 by Westland (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Revenge of Kaivalya, please sign up.
Sumana Khan Hi! Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the book! As of now, I don't have any plans of writing a sequel...but who knows?!!
Sumana Khan Hi Nameet, you can order on Amazon.com, both paperback and kindle - NZ is serviced by US Amazon.

Geeta Nair
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
THE BOOK

The cover though simple, is attractive and gives an insight to what to expect inside. Wondering why ‘The Revenge of Kaivalya?’ Visit http://kaapizone.blogspot.co.uk/2013/... to know the story behind the name.

WHAT I FELT ABOUT THE BOOK?

HIGHS

Storyline – Interesting and intriguing with multiple plots. The author has been able to weave together events taking place at two different timelines and two different places beautifully. The transition from one place to another, from one timeline to a
Divya
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015, owned
An amazing read in the paranormal genre. It is so well written that I could imagine the whole book playing in my head like a movie. There were a few pages which spooked me out and I stopped reading for a while to get a grip on myself. Cant wait to read the next book by Sumana Khan .
Nabanita Dutta
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
First 1/3rd of this book is super spooky and gave me a night full of nightmares but then the author loses the grip. The ending is super disappointing. This book has all the materials to be a movie!
Vivek Kumar
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is a good paranormal thriller. However, I picked up the book thinking it could have some more information on vijaynagar era however was disappointed. Only new information i got from the book was about halegannada script.
Manasa Rai
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book on an impulse and I am so glad that I did.
Archana
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really amazing book. Just like a movie. When you read it you'll feel like you're one of the characters in that book.
Shiwali Jain
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh...its truly a great book...loved it.
Sundari Venkatraman
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It’s about three and a half decades since I read a book belonging to the horror genre. I read The Exorcist and The Omen in the past and they kind of maimed me for life. I used to be fascinated by horror stories but not after those two. I even feared my own shadow for a long time.

I don’t quite know what came over me when I decided to review The Revenge of Kaivalya by Sumana Khan. I was fascinated with the blurb and said ‘yes’. Do I regret it? Not at all. Read on to find more.

To begin with, I mus
Rubina
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Revenge of Kaivalya is one difficult book to review. Not because I don’t resonate with the story. I do. But it does not follow a linear story line. The Author keeps the reader busy following the plot changes, the POV shifts and small incidents forming the framework of the main event. Sumana Khan keeps us on our toes with this story.:)

I had heard great reviews about this book. Few of my friends even said that this book should not be read in the dark. It is a horror story in a true sense. I mo
Dola Singh
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Revenge Of Kaivalya opens with the story of Kencha, a forest dweller who tags cobras in the Western Ghats, when he dies under mysterious circumstances with some words branded on his skin in an ancient Kannada script. On the other hand, in modern-day Bangalore, young Neel wakes up from a nightmare and a sickening smell of charred flesh and realizes he has wet his bed. I felt the first pang of fear when I realized that the smell was not just in the nightmare; Neel’s servants and his friend VJ ...more
Raksha Bhat
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Intrigued by the name KAIVALYA and Sumana Khan’s writing, I hopped onto her blog yesterday. What made me smile in this post- http://kaapizone.blogspot.co.uk/2013/... was the line at the end where she writes about how even the good can cause harm, ironic but justifiable. I completed reading this book a while ago, and I must admit that it took me to a different world altogether, I will be there for the next couple of days. I was told how spooky some scenes are at places in this story, yes they are ...more
Shilpa Garg
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are multiple plots in the story line, but they all have a common link and converge at Kaivalya. Kaivalya has nurtured hatred and rage for centuries for the injustice done to her, to return in a terrible form with a power that even Shiva Himself would not be able to confront her. So, Kencha, Neel, Shivranjini and Paramesha bear the brunt of her revenge. Who is Kaivalya and why she wanted to take revenge after years, well, my lips are sealed and you need to read the book to know that! The Re ...more
Praveen
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-mystery
A true page turner that kept me glued with the book for five whole days. Such was the plot, the pace and the details of the characters. Being of horror genre this book did give me scares at many places - where ever people encountered Kaivalya and that's where the true success in writing a horror story lies. I must say the author succeeded. She made me believe what the characters did could be done by them. Her writing simply refreshing with the vivid description bringing in front of you the encha ...more
Deepak
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
For a first novel, Sumana Khan has done excellently well in authoring ‘Kaivalya’.
I had read it first time in 2010 when it was published by Cinnamon Teal. It has now been published by Westland.
Being the Halloween season I was inspired to reread this book and I did. It had the same effect on me as it had the first time. Despite reading it for the second time, it still gripped me with its amazing plot and hair raising passages.
Of course this book would be berated by all the rationalists because
Srinivasan Tatachari
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
After a very long time have I sat through a fiction book in two sittings! The book is captivating to say the least. The context and environment is realistically recreated - so much so that the very mention of a smell in the book makes one feel it!
Having been in Bangalore for many years, it was close to heart to read of many locations, food items and other things that I personally experienced. The author's casual use of branded items in the text was very unusual, but I liked it!
The weaving in of
Amit
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
कैवलय

A spine chilling book in the paranormal genre. Or is it just that?
Very well written. The book keeps the reader on the edge at almost the turn of every page. It is very rare that I feel the need to stop every other thing and finish reading any book.

So many dots to connect with and make the royale finale.
All characters are alive and leave a lingering after taste with the reader. That is sweet.

The book has good, coordinated writing and never loses sight of the plot or purpose.
Transcending time
Sarath Mullapudi
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, drama, horror
One hell of a read!!!

After many days I stumbled upon a horror genre read and much to my delight I am absolutely thrilled through out the book.
There are certain moments in the book where a literal chill ran down my spine,especially in the first half of the book,regarding the appearances of Kaivalya. The scene describing Siva at the beginning of the book is too good.

I sincerely hoped it was Matchu who's actual Neelakantha Raya. The moment when I completed Kaivalya flahsback episode, Neel is too mu
Vikas Datta
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Genuinely spooky and a whopping read to boot, managing to tie up a paranormal thriller and a spectacular crime and lead it to a cliff-hanging finale along with an engaging cast of characters - some of which it must be said seem a little too stereotypical... On the other hands, some loose threads remain to plague the discerning reader - how come an IPS office is made a SI, the origin of the eponymous character is never explained and also the link between the intent for revenge and the fall of the ...more
Jairam Mohan
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very rarely does one read a book which is so well written and the narrative so well constructed, the one literally cannot find any faults at all with it. The Revenge of Kaivalya is one such book in which the author, in her debut outing simply manages to take readers' breath away with the sheer depth and breadth with which she has dealt with the plot.

While the first half will surely manage to scare each and every reader with a strong emphasis on the paranormal, the second half will leave us all b
Karthik
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A gripping read. An enjoyable paranormal story set in Indian locales. Narration and language are excellent. The author just brings the locales of Sakleshpur and surroundings to life with her vivid descriptions. The book is also filled with lot of interesting characters. When a reader is able to distinctly remember more than 10 characters in a book, it is indeed an achievement on the author's part. Overall the story moves at a good pace - hardly any boring moments. A good light read for a train j ...more
Aparna
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome work By Sumana....the book gets you hooked from start till end... once you start reading its just unputdownable....great work ...loved the book.... loved the characters the way each character has been portrayed and developed. how all the incidences are interlinked and reach the end at climax is totally mind blowing...
Arulselvan
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Good narration. Few scary moments. But a predictable story-line. The reason for the revenge is not strong enough (not even logical) , which was a let down. The backstories which link the main characters were nicely scripted.

Overall a decent book.
Soumyabrata Sarkar
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full fledged characters, an intriguing plot with an in-depth and lucid writing, gripping horror and terrific creative writing that makes the pages turn to a live environment engulfing you into it.

thoroughly enjoyed this nearabout 400 pages. a must read for horror lovers...
Ajit Sridharan
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Good build up, but the end was a bit of a let down. Quite nicely written though, the characters were well fleshed out.
Amit Sharma
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Engrossing, gripping and terrifying at times.
Asram
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read thriller! Once you start reading, it's hard to put the book down! The story weaves around the characters both past and present and keeps you engaged throughout.
Mandira Mukherjee