Start by marking “The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad Misadventure #1)” as Want to Read:
The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad Misadventure #1)

The First Misadventure

(Chicken Squad #1)

They're darling. They're daring. They know their shapes! They're chicks on a mission, and on this, their first (mis)adventure, the Chicken Squad launches a galactic backyard expedition.

Meet the Chicken Squad: Dirt, Sugar, Poppy, and Sweetie. These chicks are not your typical barnyard puffs of fluff, and they are not about to spend their days pecking chicken feed and chasin
Published April 8th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The First Misadventure, please sign up.

Rick
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
A list of things I don't understand:
1. Why do the chickens have two names? This did nothing but confuse me.
2. Naming one chicken Sugar and another Sweetie doesn't help me keep them straight. To be honest, I had a hard time identifying the chickens throughout the entire book.
3. Why are the chickens attributed a "specialty" if it doesn't tie in with the plot? I get that this is going to be a series, but introducing a specialty without giving it a place in the story just feels like bad expository w
Sandra
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-fiction
These chicks are something! Dirt, Sweetie, Poppy and Sugar love to solve mysteries. This time is not the exception. When Tail, the squirrel, comes asking for help, he knows he is in the right place. Unfortunately he is not really good at providing clues about what he saw. Big and scary? Not really helpful. Enormous and frightening? Still useless... This lack of progress would have discouraged anyone, but not the chicken squad.

We loved this book. We loved it because the story is hilarious. We lov
Angie
This is a cute, silly book about a group of chickens who discover a strange green object in their backyard. My students think it's hilarious!
Becky
First sentence: Welcome to the yard! Meet the Chicken Squad: Four fuzzy little chicks who should fill their days pecking chicken feed and chasing bugs but instead spend most of their time looking for trouble and finding it.

Premise/plot: Dirt (Peep), Sugar (Little Boo), Poppy (Poppy), and Sweetie (Sweet Coconut Louise) ARE the chicken squad. In this first adventure--or misadventure--the chicks are hard on a case. A squirrel has come to them for help. He's absolutely terrified of something...but o
Wendi Lee
Read for my 9 year old's Battle of the Books. It was a quick read with lots of quirky chicken characters.
Megan (ReadingRover)
It's a good thing JJ is always around to keep an eye on the Chicken Squad because if he wasn't who knows what kind of trouble they'd get into! This was a cute funny spinoff of the JJ books.
Cathy
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
*ARC
Chicken Squad by Doreen Cronin
This is such a fun book. I am glad the humor is still there in a book for older readers. I love the fancy words, the mystery, and the way the chicken squad works together. They talk and act just like a group of third graders. My favorite character has to be the dog, but they are so likable. Don’t expect a great piece of literature out of this book, but it is a fun story; kids will love it, and will bug their parents for more. Really, is there anymore you could a
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
Chicken Squad are on their first case, when Squirrel comes to the chicken coop with some serious panic. And the Squirrel doesn't know the shapes well, so the Chicken Squad has even more difficulties, guessing the actual problem. But, they are still brave and start working together.

I loved the cover..it will definitely attract the little ones. Although it's not an interesting thriller, it will be good if this is read aloud in children's book clubs. It is educational and the kids will like the mys
Beth Theodore
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We were given this book through a reading event at my daughter's school. At that time, my daughter would best be described as a "reluctant reader". This book changed that. We read it every night, gave the chickens different voices, and just enjoyed how silly the story was. It's been a few years and she is now a voracious reader, but she still loves this adorable book. It was responsible for her learning to love reading. Highly recommend.
Kristen
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This was really cute. I love that the chicks all have their own personalities and that they are all quite hilarious. It's adorable that J.J. the dog is tasked with keeping them in line, and yet he lets them believe in their UFO mystery. A fun story for young readers.
Brenda Kahn
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The chicks from the J.J. Tully mysteries get their own story in this adorable early chapter book spin-off. J.J. Tully makes an appearance as well.
Nicole
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first graders LOVED this book! They never guessed what the "BIG" and "SCARY" thing was, but it was fun listening to their guesses and how they changed as more clues were revealed. Too cute!
Patricia
Read for Librarian Book Group

Amusing beginning reader.
Michelle
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great fun to read aloud with my six year old mystery-loving granddaughter. We laughed our way through it!
Lulu
Sep 29, 2016 added it
this book is so funny and it is a really good book
Courtney Umlauf
I love the picture book Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type, also by Cronin, so I was excited to find this series from her. Although there's a lot I enjoyed about it, and even found myself laughing quite a bit, it didn't really satisfy me. It's strongest point is a great combination of silly humor with a noir crime feel as the four chicks on the squad go about solving little "mysteries". One chick in particular speaks pretty much exclusively like a streetwise detective from the 30s, which when pai ...more
Karen
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Older kids who want to laugh for a few minutes.
Recommended to Karen by: Goodreads
I think we will skip this series...for a couple of reasons.
1 Within the first pages one character expresses no need to respect another character because of a lack of knowledge. We should respect everyone for who they are, not what they know.

2 this is written in adult language with adult jokes. Not vulgar, just way over my kids' heads. It wouldn't be funny to them, although I laughed out loud.

3 There are a LOT of good books out there that have great content with life lessons. This is a McBook -
Steve
I was introduced to Doreen Cronin with "The Mystery of Diamond Lil", a book I had a hoot reading to my 3rd grade Real Men Read class. So I was ready to love this one.
Alas, this fell short of my first introduction. But I won't give up on Ms. Cronin. I've discovered her "Click, Clack .. " series and I love her imagination. I'm confidant that are many other books of hers that are waiting to entertain kids and I'm certainly glad to search them out.

Kim Mallady
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud-drew
I read this book aloud to my six-year-old who still tends to take things literally. It was pretty hard for him to follow what was going on. The five main characters in this book completely misinterpret everything going on around them for the entirety of this book and the reader is supposed to realize it (even though it's never explicitly until the epilogue) and think it's funny. This book would be better for a slightly older and more socially mature kiddo than mine.
Bethany
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cvtc-kidlit
Definitely a transitional book for older kids preparing them for books without pictures. The illustrations were all in black and white and were sporadic throughout the book. Sometimes they would be on both pages and sometimes there would be none. The writing was for older children as well as the words were more advanced and contractions were used. The story was entertaining and if I were of that age group I would want to check out the rest of the series.
Mary Ann
When a hysterical squirrel comes rushing into the chicken coop saying something “big and scary” is in the yard, it’s up to retired search-and-rescue dog J.J. Tully and four adorable chicks to solve the mystery. The audiobook swiftly moves from serious gumshoe mystery to outrageous silliness, with expert pacing. A terrific series of short mysteries.
Simone
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved how clever it is for an early chapter book series. Forget the My Weird disrespectful school series....this book is filled with things like a dog who loves reading, shape learning like what is a rhombus, and silly chat. I love the question, don’t you own a box of crayons that the chick asks the dog.
e.  ellor
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I love this one. It was light and fun and different. I adore how you get two perspectives with the dog and the chicks. The illustrations are fantastic, too. For a reader who is just getting started on chapter books this would be a great way to get them started and to keep them reading and start them off on detective stories.
Kristi Anderson
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
*My two little kids loved it as I read it to them. I thought the story was a little disconnected. I can't figure out why the chickens have two names? But it was a cute story, held their attention and we attended a book club together to discuss it - so that made it fun to read together. Will have to check out other books in the series to see if they get a little better.
Mary Thomas
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I tried to like these books. I love Doreen Cronin's picture books. This one, we just struggled through. I couldn't get into the storyline and characters. It was painful. We have the second one, too, that we haven't been able to finish. I think I'll probably just stick these books in our Little Free Library and maybe not even finish the second one.
Darla
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of Hank the Cowdog and other famous farm/ranch heroes, the chicken squad is serious about their duties in the yard. When the squirrel comes to them for protection, they deliver. So much fun to see these little chicks do what they think is necessary to make things right. Looking forward to more adventures with Poppy, Sugar, Dirt and Sweetie!
Anthony
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The misadventure that started it all, with J.J. Tully, retired search and rescue dog, as narrator tells the story of how the squad solved the mystery of something "Big and Scary" as described by Tail the squirrel, and helps him learn his shapes as they search for clues to what is lurking in the yard beyond the coop.
Nicola
I thought it was amusing but Miss 3 got bored part-way through and didn't want to finish the story the next day.

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Jonathan
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
An early reader book with about as much depth as a cartoon, confusing characters with a lot of hard to follow dialogue, jokes that weren't funny and a plot that revolved around a squirrel thinking a grill was an UFO. I'll consider giving the sequel a shot just to see if the series gets better, but not at all impressed.
Kari
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: school, kids
I think this would be an adorable book to help second grade/third grade writers to understand the importance of descriptive word choice. It's also good for independent reading choice for late 2nd and early 3rd.
Cute cast of characters, good dialog, adorable pictures to match and enhance the text.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Leroy Ninker Saddles Up
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu, #2)
  • The Infamous Ratsos (The Infamous Ratsos, #1)
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Monkey Me and the Golden Monkey: A Branches Book (Monkey Me #1)
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King & Kayla, #1)
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission (Lulu, #3)
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos (Twitch the Squirrel, #1)
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • The Vanishing Coin (The Magic Shop #1)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake (Eleanor, #3)
  • Yours Sincerely, Giraffe
  • Detective Gordon: The First Case
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight. In fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who wante ...more

Chicken Squad (6 books)
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken (Chicken Squad Misadventure #2)
  • Into the Wild: Yet Another Misadventure (A Chicken Squad Adventure #3)
  • Dark Shadows: Yes, Another Misadventure (Chicken Squad #4)
  • Gimme Shelter: Misadventures and Misinformation (Chicken Squad #5)
  • Bear Country (Chicken Squad #6)