Start by marking “Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet” as Want to Read:

Leading health blogger Jimmy Moore and researcher and internist Dr. Eric C. Westman join forces again to explain the powerful therapeutic effects of a ketogenic diet—one that combines a customized carbohydrate restriction, moderation of protein intake, and real food-based fats—which is emerging in the scientific literature as a means for improving a wide range of diseases, ...more
Published August 5th 2014 by Victory Belt Publishing (first published June 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Keto Clarity, please sign up.
Rashid Malik All three, keto theory, keto diets, keto recipes, effects of keto on brain and body, and a lot more. I would say it could be named…moreAll three, keto theory, keto diets, keto recipes, effects of keto on brain and body, and a lot more. I would say it could be named all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-ketogenic-lifestyle.(less)

Andy
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Compared to other books, Keto Clarity is less scientific and perhaps more appropriate for someone who doesn't want to get into the nittry gritty biology of ketosis. I personally am more convinced by focusing on scientific analysis, and I found "The Art And Science of Low Carbohydrate Eating" much more convincing than this book. I've also been in ketosis for 8 months now, so I understand the nuances of each argument.

This book is written more like a very long blog post than a work of persuasive no
Laura (Kyahgirl)
This is NOT a definitive guide, contrary to what the title claims. This is one of those books a person might read as part of gathering a wide ranging collection of info on a topic but the content should really be taken with healthy dose of critical thinking. I think there are a lot of little nuggets of information but there also a lot of stuff that makes me roll my eyes. (Really, eat a mouthful of butter with every bite?!?) I encourage anyone reading this book to spend some time looking at Jimmy ...more
❤Marie Gentilcore
This was very informative and was presented in an easy to understand fashion. I learned alot about the ketogenic diet and how our ancestors existed on ketones for periods of time when food was scarce and how the body can be fueled by either glucose from carbohydrates or ketones from fat. It was very interesting. I plan to get the previous book Cholesterol Clarity next.
Joseph
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I want to say that every time I hear or read Jimmy's story, and his speech to the Scientific Advisory board at the USDA Dietary Guidelines Committee, it has an emotional affect on me.

Now then, on with the review: One would expect, after reading his first book Cholesterol Clarity, that Jimmy Moore's follow up book Keto Clarity would have the same easy-to-understand approach to educating the reader and dispelling misconceptions about the subject matter. I am happy to report that it
Kelly
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Great concept. I wish they focused more on the practical aspects of implementing this lifestyle and diet. Both the podcast and this book focus on "here's all the bad things the medical community and other experts say about this diet, and here are studies that prove them wrong." Ok - we get that. We don't need to go into the weeds repeatedly on that point, we just need to know how to successfully implement this diet/lifestyle.
William Nist
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medical
Jimmy Moore is either in the vanguard of a major movement in personal health and longevity, or ......! This work, along with 'Cholesterol Clarity' redefine what a healthy diet consists of, and re-imagine the origins and causes of disease placing them within a metabolic framework. He is condensing the work of many writers, doctors and scientists of the last decade.

Your body runs on glucose or ketones. You derive them from sugars (carbs) or fat. The premise of this book is that it is ketones that
Ksenia Anske
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I told you I eat my neighbors. I really do. Especially their fat juicy livers. Which is good for you, fat and liver. Many of you have been asking me how I have all this energy to write and somehow don't grow a fat ass from sitting on it all day. Well. THIS IS IT. Read this book. It will give you all my secrets. (And it will make you look your best and feel your best too.)
Flomarcon Domingo
Extensive And Understandable

This is a good reference to almost any topic about keto diet, especially for those newbies or is interested on this lifestyle/way of eating. I agree with some of the health benefits discussed because I myself is experiencing them even if I am just on my Day 22 of keto (improved focus and sleep, carb/sugar craving is gone, lesser toothache, lesser appetite, weight loss from 88kg to 85kg or 6.6pounds loss on Day 4 which most likely just water weight, etc.). There are mo
Renee
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I breezed through this book. Very helpful. I can understand others complaints that the author tends to bounce around from topic to topic. But the main takeaway from this book for me was that after reading it, I was not afraid to reintroduce fat into my diet. So for me, this book has been extremely helpful.
Bar Franek
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a beginner friendly introduction to the world of eating Keto, this book is it.

The Standard American Diet(SAD) is shit. The food pyramid (before changing over to the slightly less insane Food Plate) is the reason 2/3rds of the country is overweight or obese. It's the reason we're plagued with disease and fatigue, and it's why health care costs are astronomical. The government recommends that the majority of our calories come from what is essentially poison (wheat & glut
Justin
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: diet
There is good information here, but the author's attitude is poor. For example, in the QA section he answers a question in which a hypothetical reader asks if low carb diets can worsen thyroid problems his answer is no. This answer could be fine if it was backed with studies, however none were provided.
I have heard several sources say the opposite so its hard to take his answer seriously when it seems more smug then inquisitive/open. This general "keto is awesome, do not question the keto" feeli
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This seems to me to be an excellent diet but go slow as I feel sick. It may have nothing to do with the diet. I think this diet goes well with another book I just read about Alzheimers. Alzheimer's Disease: What If There Was a Cure?: The Story of Ketones They both recommend coconut oil.
Liberty Taufer
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all T1 & T2 diabetics!

The ketogenic diet has vastly improved the quality of life for my husband and me. He is T2 and I am T1. He is back to his high school weight, and I have less of a fear for hypoglycaemic episodes, My depression and anxiety have gone away without drugs. Give this diet 30 days of your life. You won't regret it!
Clarisa Doval
Apr 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Very urresponsible to say that keto diets cure cancer.
Massimo  Gioffre
I've read a lot of books about diets, and some about this diet. This is by far the worst. Not that it says anything wrong, it's just that that tone it has is more publicity than information.
Jenny
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big advocate for a ketogenic lifestyle, and I regularly listen to Jimmy Moore's podcast. I've been following a ketogenic diet for nearly a year now, so I know most of what is included in this book, but it was not an enjoyable read for me. I felt that the writing was rather haphazard, with random quotes and personal anecdotes interspersed within scientific facts. The scientific information included is solid but it gets lost a bit in the delivery. Perhaps this was geared towards a reader un ...more
Jitka Egressy
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everybody should read this book, because almous everybody in those days has some serrious health problems. It's not about weight loss only.... Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, insuline resistance, even Alzheimer's diease, epilepsy, depresses and more can be cured! Even cancer can be beaten... just by diet! Try it....
Joya Cousin
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, health
Very good information presented in an easy to understand format. The traditional therapeutic keto macro ratios are often 80% fat, 5% carbs, 15% protein, but this was not really mentioned. Some people are extremely carb sensitive and will not succeed in entering ketosis on the daily 20g of carbs being constantly referred to.

It also concerns me that the author (judging from the neck-up only photos on his instagram) now seems to be currently considerably overweight once again.

Does the ketogenic l
Carolyn Amundson
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
After reading it, this was a five star book. A nice overview of the theory supporting a ketogenic diet. The book has enough science to support the theory and is written in a way to make the science and theory easy to understand. It's also very motivating. I read the book and decided that this was the solution for me. I felt better since I removed refined starches from my diet several years ago, so it made sense that taking another step to reduce carbs would make me feel even better. It took me a ...more
Susan Clingman
So many medical conditions can be improved by switching away from the Standard American Diet (aka SAD, or low fat, high carb) to a diet of low carb, moderate protein, high fat (aka ketogenic). We've been programmed by the Government and food manufacturers that fat is bad, when it's not. Sugar (and carbs) is the problem, not fat (diabetes was called sugar diabetes for a reason). If the standard diet isn't working, why not try the opposite? You have nothing to lose (other than your medical conditi ...more
Gaurav Chhaparwal
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
The book is extremely 'salesy' and repetitive. Trying to go as far as condemning all other diets, using pseudo scientific examples, suggesting experimenting with oneself with measurement but without supervision) - far too pushy and almost risky suggestions to convince you to take up a keto diet. The author repeats 'eat low carb, low protein, high saturated fat diet' on almost every page in the book and has very limited additional content being the sales pitch.
Jed Park
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving the keto lifestyle a try.

I have tried low carb before but this brings it to a whole new level. It is a very counter-intuitive diet for me, but I am going to give it a try.
Ana Mark
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Scraps from different meals do not make a good dinner. This is not the book you should turn to in pursuit of clarity. Stick to Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate by S. Phinney or Ketogenic Diet by L. McDonald instead.
Cynthia
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deciding to eat this way has been a smart move. This book answered all my question and provided so much insight. This is a great book.
Carric D Dooley
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
De facto keto book

Loved this book. I am not 100% convinced about keto solving everything, but there is great data in here. This plus some fasting protocol could show promise.
Robert Gene Rosero
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book just felt too self serving. This is just not the book I expected it was.
Ricardo Oliveira
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible
Sells Keto diet as silver bullet for everything. Too long and repetitive. Didn't like it.
Ken Stahl
Apr 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
I returned it to the book store after reading it. One look at the author and it lost all credibility for me.
Kim
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m not your mom. I’m not a doctor. I’m just somebody who went to the doctor and found I was back at my peak weight and it made me mad. I’d been working out and dieting without “too much” cheating. I’m built like just about everyone in my grandmother’s family and at an age where I don’t burn off calories just by watching TV like I did in my 20s.

I made an appointment with a trainer to talk about diet and showed him a food diary. He pointed out some problems and offered two suggestions, either Pal
Matty Esco
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Red flag 1: the "woe is me" opener about how kids cruelly mocked him for being a 400 lb substitute teacher. I stayed on board because I thought it was interesting a nutrition book would begin on such a personal note.

Red flag 2: the repetitious name-dropping of his blog, "Living la Vida Low-Carb". If you had a multi-million dollar budget, and the greatest scientific minds of our age came together specifically to create a worse name, they would fail. It's impossible. Every time I see the words "Li
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
AlphaTestX Increase muscle mass & power 1 1 Mar 11, 2019 12:20AM
Is Keto Pure Diet really effective? 1 2 Mar 07, 2019 10:25PM

• The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance
  • Keto-Adapted
  • Epi-paleo Rx: The Prescription for Disease Reversal and Optimal Health
  • The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
  • The Paleo Coach: Expert Advice for Extraordinary Health, Sustainable Fat Loss, and an incredible body
  • The Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health and Happiness
  • The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond Paleo for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • The Miracle of Fasting: Proven Throughout History for Physical, Mental and Spiritual Rejuvenation
  • Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer
  • The Gerson Therapy -- Revised
  • The Paleo Manifesto: Ancient Wisdom for Lifelong Health
  • The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine
  • Detoxify or Die
  • The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young
  • The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet
  • Sweet Potato Power: Smart Carbs:  Paleo and Personalized
  • Eat. Stop. Eat
“Ketones are an efficient and effective fuel for human physiology without increasing the production of damaging free radicals. Ketosis allows a person to experience nonfluctuating energy throughout the day as well as enhanced brain function and possibly resistance to malignancy. – Dr. David Perlmutter” 5 likes
“Many chronic symptoms and health conditions—such as fatigue, sleepiness, mood disorders, insomnia, gastroesophageal reflux disease, lipid disorders, high blood pressure, headaches (including migraines), gas, bloating, irritable bowel syndrome, joint inflammation, acne, and difficulty concentrating, to name a few—will improve on a ketogenic diet. Treating lifestyle conditions with lifestyle change such as this can make us a healthier and less drug-dependent country. – Jackie Eberstein” 3 likes