Start by marking “Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally” as Want to Read:
Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally

Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally

Are You Ready to Run?

Is there a bridge from the injury-ridden world of the modern runner to the promised land that barefoot running and Born to Run have led us to believe exists? Can we really live the running life free from injury? Is there an approach designed to unlock all the athletic potential that may be hidden within? Can we run faster, longer, and more efficiently?
Published October 21st 2014 by Victory Belt Publishing (first published June 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Ready to Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready to Run

Start your review of Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
The last time I went on a run I blew out my right hamstring. I've gone through numerous books like Ready to Run since my injury. Not a single book has any information to assist with rehabbing a hamstring strain back into "running shape."

Ready to Run has run back to the library. There are a lot of things in the book but nothing helpful at this moment.
John
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've taken this thing completely to heart. The difference in my plantar fasciitis from one Voodoo floss band wrap session on my right foot is insane; left foot still brittle and spikey as heck when I get out of bed. Love the stretches/mobs, zero drops for walking, emphasis on going barefoot, electrolytes, compression gear, never sitting, and think this was life changing. Couldn't care less if non-friends/fam give it a try, but it deserves five stars.

P.S. read the entire thing on my three tube
Viv JM
Lots of very useful information - now to put it into practice!
Bálint
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. After having told by many doctors, physiotherapist, chiropractors, etc. that nothing can be about my knee apart from just "stop running", now I have hope that I can "fix myself". The book offers numerous strechning and mobilizing exercises that one needs to practise daily, but it looks promising. My next order of business now is to reread the whole book and make thorough notes, then build a stretching plan for myself and start doing it. I should see results in a month ...more
Jeff Namadan
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As always, K-Star is spot on. Now I just need to commit to what he prescribes. It's only 10 minutes a day, I can find that much time though the real results come from more time. Baby steps (no pigeon feet allowed!)
Diane
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read several books about running, all helpful in their own way, but in terms of giving the reader fantastic exercises to increase their mobility, this is the best I have come across. I read the entire book, but one could skip to the back where the author explains his "12 standards" and gives tests the reader can do to determine where he or she does not meet the standards. The last section, section 3, is a series of mobility exercises tied to each standard. You do have to go back and forth a ...more
Hitessh Panchal
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Okie Dokie,

Maybe this book is Right, But i am the wrong person for it. It teaches , how a seasoned athlete can avoid injuries while running.

there were many good stretches , that were new and good.

If you are already a marathon runner, use it . If you are casual runner, this book will be of little help.

Looking forward to read the author's next book though "Deskbound: Sitting is the new Smoking"
Bas
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of overlap with supple leopard, but some good tests to identify weaknesses with running mechanics.
Lee Adams
This was a trip down memory lane. (What's up, Matt?) There was a lot in here I've done in the past but have neglected for years as far as between workout maintenance. I guess that's the catch-22 of being injury free for many years. I found myself revisiting some old friends ( the couch stretch and lacrosse ball) while reading this. Good information to follow. Now just to keep it going.
Samuel W.
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
If your tired of nagging injuries limiting or stopping your runs, then this book will give you a range of methods to attack the underlying issues. Now in my 50's and attempting to referee over 200 soccer games a year, I've had trouble maintaining an injury free season. Working all day in a cubicle was not helping matters. Kelly Starrett has useful information that anyone can implement. And while we all need a day off to heal, his regiment is a daily combo of health tips, exercise tips and self ...more
Christieclaireus
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone who enjoys running or athletics. Reading this turned on a lightbulb in my brain about how to approach running, and really any kind of athletic training, in a healthy way that will provide longevity. I'm not sure I would have the motivation to make some of these changes without injury, but it would be so much better to learn to practice some of the things taught in this book BEFORE injury to hopefully avoid it. Thanks Geoff Finley for sharing, I'm so glad I read it!
Lowell Paige Bander
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-health
"All humans should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves."

A fantastic book on avoiding running injuries, in a style very similar to Starrett's "Becoming a Supple Leopard." That is, if you incur an injury, it isn't because you need more expensive shoes or you need to stop running -- it's because you are insufficiently mobilized, or have bad motor patterns, or are dehydrated, have shoes with too much heel.
Anthony Michel
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Great infos but the writing is very American with the author bragging for half of the book on how much this book is gonna change your life rather than actually starting the book. It could be much shorter . But like I said the info in it are awesome!
Mark
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great Book packed full of information, some old, some new, mostly all useful.
Jessica
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for now - will see in a couple months if it works!
Alan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epub
Are You Ready to Run?

In a direct answer to the modern runner’s needs, Dr. Kelly Starrett, author of the bestseller Becoming a Supple Leopard:

SHARAN GURKAR
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adam Parker
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, learning
This book was recommended to me by one of the most healthy, strong men I know. He happens to be a former colleague and is currently responsible for the entire health, fitness, and academy training at a major US police department; not to mention a top performer in the Special Weapons and Tactics team. When someone with those credentials swears by something, you look into it.

Needless to say, I'm glad I did. The book was written in a direct, enjoyable manner which often left me feeling challenged
Roozbeh Daneshvar
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a good book for runners and whoever runs in their workouts. I started following the exercises and I feel that I can see a positive impact (or maybe it is only my imagination). Yet, the content didn't need to be a book and it could have well been a very good web article.

I think the actual content was much less that 288 pages. I had the impression that the authors really wanted to get a full book out of it and they had only 15 pages of materials. They thought to themselves "How can we make
Rebecca
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Starrett's guide to running and other endurance fitness regimes is a bit too advanced for me to feel like I really maxed out its potential. There are a lot of mobility techniques, for example, which are simply not going to be entering my menu. I think it's geared towards a more committed runner (the type who runs for an hour-plus, several days a weak and competes in races) than I am (runs 2-3 days a week for a half-hour and then one hour-long run with walking intervals). I'm not the type to run ...more
Paola
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: running
Pretty good to address range of motion and bad form issues. I doesn't include a discussion on strength issues or any strengthening exercises to correct some weaknesses, though, only mobility exercises. And most of his examples assume that everybody has a problem with excessive pronation and valgus knees (basically flat feet and knock knees) which leaves a chunk of us that have the opposite problem (high arches) completely out of the picture. That made it super frustrating. I think some of the ...more
Keith Marran
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be full of very helpful tidbits to prevent injury, increase my running power, and move through life more solidly and comfortably. There's a whole chapter dedicated to shoes so I now know exactly what I want and don't want out of a running shoe.

If you're looking for an inspiring "you can do it" book about running, this isn't it. This is the book that will keep you running your whole life.

He includes exercises for your whole body, so it is a book I will reference a lot. But
Craig
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
My primary goal was to find information on improving flexibility and maintaining / strengthening joints and back. The sections on the damage done to our bodies by years and years of sitting (past and present) were / are downright scary. But I can vouch for the truth of the damages. Great advice is presented to begin to reverse and correct those damages. May have to purchase the book to keep it on hand as a valuable reference too. Now on to watching some of the author's youtube vids for more ...more
Travis
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An instructive manual on the lifestyle, mobility, and biomechanical factors that lead to a running life plagued by injury, and how to address them on a daily basis. Useful for not only amateur runners, but those who have to run for a living or for other sport. A must read, and a great reference guide with a multitude of mobility exercises and lifestyle tips to help the modern day problems caused by sedentary living.
Silas
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful

Full of great info. I think I was able to understand and take it in better because of my background in acupuncture + physical therapy, and the plan is a little full-on if you're busy or injured already, so I'm just using the techniques and implementing them slowly. But lots of good info here for taking care of your body, your most important asset
Ralph
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The most practical book I’ve read this year. I’ve been meaning to restart a running regimen but was nervous about injuries, especially given my increased body weight. Kelly expands on his 12 standards for safe running and gives a lot of mobility exercises that make me confident that I can reach my full potential
Joe Koennecke
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book to have on the shelf. Kelly takes basic concepts from his other books and condenses them down into one short, easy to read volume with a targeted focus for runners. Everyone that runs needs to read this and live by it. New shoes won't solver your problem but this book might.
Mihai Cozma
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book providing common sense lifestyle practices and specialized mobility techniques to any type of runner, professional or recreational. Its target seems to be to get you to be in the athlete mindset all day long, and to reserve 10-20 min a day for mobility exercises.
Hussein Samhat
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kelly Starrett doesn't need to be praised for he is clearly as humble and as intelligent an athlete and physiotherapist can get. The book is detailed with excellent photos and is easy to follow, understand and apply. After all, what we lack is self-maintenance.. I cannot say this enough..
Graham J Harding
Essential read for everyone!

Kelly Is a legend in the mobility world and this fantastic book is essential reading for us all!

If you want to avoid injury and be able to understand how to fix yourself and run pain free read and follow this amazing guide!!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Unbreakable Runner: Unleash the Power of Strength & Conditioning for a Lifetime of Running Strong
  • Power Speed ENDURANCE: A Skill-Based Approach to Endurance Training
  • The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance
  • Practical Programming for Strength Training
  • Running Rewired: Reinvent Your Run for Stability, Strength, and Speed
  • Life Is a Marathon: A Memoir of Love and Endurance
“When you can, avoid sitting, or even open up a direct attack. Set your phone or watch timer to go off every hour so that you get up out of your chair, mobilize for a minute or two, and then (if you have to go back to sitting) sit down with your butt and stomach muscles turned on and engaged.  ” 4 likes
“Neutral feet start in your trunk, so really go after those tight hips:” 2 likes