Start by marking “The Greatship (Great Ship, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Greatship (Great Ship, #3)

The Greatship

(Great Ship #3)

Since the beginning of the universe, the giant starship wandered the emptiest reaches of space, without crew or course, much less any clear purpose. But humans found the relic outside the Milky Way, and after taking possession, they named their prize the Great Ship and embarked on a bold voyage through the galaxy’s civilized hearts.

Larger than worlds, the Great Ship is lac
Published November 12th 2013 by Argo-Navis

To ask other readers questions about The Greatship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatship

Charles
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Since I was a small child, I have read science fiction, and lots of it. For decades, I’ve read all types, from H.G. Wells through 1930s pulp through 1950s “golden age” through 1970s trippy through modern (the latter in all its broad range from “hard” to “socially conscious”, i.e., culturally leftist stories lacking the “science” in “science fiction”). I suspect science fiction has materially shaped my own world view. I don’t know why I like science fiction, particularly—perhaps just taste, like ...more
AVid_D
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF - gave up after more than 300 pages in. It is, in effect, no more than a series of barely connected short stories of very mixed quality.

My experience was not helped by the very poor editing of my e-book version.
Suppafly
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this after the 2nd Marrow novel which seemed about the right time to read it. I definitely wouldn't suggest reading this as a standalone unless you are really into reading short stories anyway. I think a lot of the bad reviews are from people reading without the context of the Marrow series, which definitely makes sense, as standalone shorts these don't work that well. This gives a lot of back story to several of the main characters from the Marrow series but also meanders quite a bit. I ...more
David Roy
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing, as always. Following two characters enjoyable & fulfilling. Once again, the ending of the last story, therefore the end of the book, was too vague & confusing. Plus the story that’s yet to be told, about the War & its conclusion is needed. If it exists as a stand alone, I’ve yet to spot it.

Reed is a marvelous & imaginative storyteller who is sometimes too vague & whose endings are too often not on par with rest of the story.
John
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic, wildly creative and out there book that manages still to be grounded in solid science. The characters are fewer than you'd expect for a book encompassing this much time, but there is good reason for that.

Alone and Mere are firmly two of my favorite short stories now.
Randy Gardner
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Not overly interesting IMHO
Alexandra
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I had read a few Great Ship stories before (two of which are in here), so I was really excited about getting a collection that has almost all of them, in some sort of order.

Let me get the annoying thing out of the way first. This collection was collated by Reed himself, as far as I can tell, with a bit of additional material to bridge the stories (and adding to "the resident confusion" apparently), and some stories altered as well to better fit with the others. There are a lot of typos, and a nu
Florin Constantinescu
I was attracted to the entire Greatship series by the synopsis of this collection, and after reading one story that was collected in one of Gardner Dozois' Year's Best SF.
Unfortunately, that story is not contained herein, and of the remaining stories, only two are of notice, the remaining turned out to be extremely difficult to read through to the end.
Sure, they are brimming with cool ideas, but I did not like the execution style, or any of the characters.
Jim Mann
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Robert Reed is one of the most underrated authors in science fiction. Every year he produces a number of very good short stories (and an occasional novel), and he's won several awards, but he seems to be rarely discussed. The Greatship is a collection of his stories set aboard the Greatship -- an alien spaceship the size of Uranus whose interior (and a bit of whose surface) is inhabited by numerous human and non-human groups who have migrated to the ship over the centuries as the ship has passed ...more
M
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big friend of short stories but these are EXCELLENT!!!
Actually, most would rather classify as novelettes, imo.

These short stories play in the same universe, in fact on the same 'GreatShip' as the fullblown novel 'Marrow', which I thought was good, but as I feel that Reed writes better short stories than actual novels - he's an ideas and style man, not long-form plot writer imo - I enjoyed the short stories even more.

But I feel even if you haven't read Marrow, you can thoroughly enjoy t
Jim Nicholson
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Breaks a streak for me of books I've given up on without finishing. Just what I needed, apparently: good space-opera style science fiction short stories and novellas, not too bogged down in the technical details, dealing a lot with the implications of fantastic technology. Plenty of mystery and intrigue. The only complaint was that it ended too soon. I might go on to read the two additional novel-length books set in this universe, if I can overcome my hesitation due to the negative reviews they' ...more
Gary Milczarek
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Robert Reed is one of my all time favorite science fiction writers and The Greatship is another good reason why. I love his imagination, the way he stretches life into all these strange and familiar worlds and realities within the vastness of the Greatship and weaves together their stories. Fun, clever, intriguing, fresh and captivating I find his storytelling. I want to board the Greatship myself.

Thanks for giving us more digital editions of your delightful work.
Dom
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series of stories. There's a phenomenal range of ideas and characters within. Similar to almost everything I rate 5 stars, these stories are idea driven: they explore ideas and at times take their time to do so. In most cases the fact that these are set in space is beside the point to the purpose. This is awesome stuff, but read with caution if you like plot driven stuff and are averse to an indulgent writing style.
Milele
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is fantastically inventive and broad. I loved the vignettes and found myself strangely drawn to read more despite the lack of traditional plot. As I read I always wanted to know more about the universe invented by Reed and the approach of jumping from character to character and one timespan to another, actually served the purpose well and seemed to underscore the breadth of his universe. I may come back and rate this 5 stars if it sticks with me.
Thomas
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I know this is a minority opinion, but I could not finish this book. None of the characters ever engaged me. The plot was sprawling and disorganized, it seemed to me. I give it some credit for ambition.
Peter Roach
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sc-fi
Every now and then you come across a classic, this one is among the top. A series of short stories combined together to form a thrilling romp across the galaxy that when combined created a fantastic read. Well written and constructed.
Anthony
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories based on an idea of a galaxy-roving omnibus spaceship would have been fun, but if the spaceship is planet-sized, it makes them even more fun. This book was very enjoyable - it should especially appeal to science/speculative fiction fans who like their writers to think big.
Martin
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent hardcore science fiction, full of amazing ideas.
Ray
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several 5-star stories in here. Nothing less than 3 stars.
Michael Thome
Enjoyed this, but not as much as Marrow. I loved getting more backstory.
Craig
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love these characters and even though I feel like I know them, because they 'live' hundreds of thousands of years or even millions, there is always more to find out.
Nick

• The Lowest Heaven
  • The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge
  • Priam's Lens
  • Crystal Express
  • The Ware Tetralogy (Ware, #1-4)
  • The Best of John W. Campbell
  • Federation
  • Luminous
  • Northwest of Earth: The Complete Northwest Smith
  • Edie Investigates
  • Metaplanetary
  • Ghost Spin (Spin Trilogy, #3)
  • Learning the World: A Scientific Romance
  • Empty Space: A Haunting (Kefahuchi Tract, #3)
  • Lore of the Witch World
  • Alone Against Tomorrow: Stories of Alienation in Speculative Fiction
He has also been published as Robert Touzalin.

Great Ship (6 books)
  • Marrow (Great Ship, #1)
  • The Well of Stars (Great Ship, #2)
  • The Memory of Sky (Great Ship, #4)
  • The Dragons of Marrow (Great Ship, #5)
  • Eater-of-Bone
“even what seems stable and true skids upon a razor balanced upon another razor perched upon the thinnest, keenest slice of luck.” 1 likes
“With a whisper, Ash asked Shadow, “But why do you live this way?  With him, in this kind of role?” In an Aaback fashion, the creature grinned.  Then Shadow peered over the edge of the canyon, speaking to no one in particular when he explained, “He needs me so much.  This is why.” “As a servant?” “And as a friend, and a confidant.”  With a very human shrug, he asked Ash, “How could anyone survive even a single day, if he didn’t feel as if he was, in some little great way, needed?” 0 likes