Start by marking “Candlemoth” as Want to Read:
Candlemoth

Candlemoth

With the verve and gift for gripping storytelling that made his previous books international bestsellers, R.J. Ellory returns with a dramatic saga of murder and retribution, set in the tumultuous 1960s. Daniel Ford and Nathan Verney were six years old when they first met by a South Carolina lake and became best friends against all odds—Daniel was white, and Nathan was blac ...more
Published April 29th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Candlemoth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candlemoth

Gail
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is little to say about this book (as I'm absolutely heartbroken and can barely see to type, if I'm honest) except to say it's just amazing, as are all R J Ellory books.

Briefly, we have the (just lovely) Daniel Ford who we know is on Death Row for the murder of his life long friend, Nathan Verney. Daniel and Nathan were inseparable throughout their lives and were like brothers.

Daniel is white and Nathan was black and in 1960's America it was a turbulent time for the long suffering black pe
Praveen Palakkazhi
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-reviewed
R.J Ellory has a curiously distinct voice which soaks the reader in a sense of melancholy and nostalgia, and which also elevates him above standard genre fare. His books can come under the category of Crime fiction, but there is a definite literary quality to his writing which can put him under the Literary fiction variety too. This is the second book of his I am reading (though it is his first published one) after the highly rated 'A Quiet Belief in Angels' and there is definitely a few similar ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer (JC-S) by: fionnabhair@bigpond.com
Shelves: librarybooks
‘I have faith in the fact that I am going to die.’

It’s 1982 and Daniel Ford is thirty-six years old. Twelve years ago, Daniel was convicted of the murder of his best friend, Nathan Verney. In thirty-six days, he will walk to the electric chair and pay with his life.

‘I ask myself what life is, what does it mean? Perhaps nothing more than a story, and each story different and rare and pronounced with its own voice.’

Father John Rousseau has been assigned to talk with Daniel during this last perio
Rob Twinem
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
R J Ellory's books are about human nature and human emotion exposed....You cannot help but be touched and greatly affected by his writing long after the book is finished. What I find so powerful in this and other books is is depiction of childhood and how our childhood experiences stay and affect us all our lives. Candlemoth is about being on death row and the realization and inevitably of our own mortality, this is a great starting point to evaluate and make sense of our lives. Candlemoth is a ...more
Sonya Serial Reader
Ce livre n'est pas un thriller, ni du polar pur et dur..ce livre se rapproche plûtot du roman noir, mais à mon avis reste inclassable..
On se trouve plongé dans l'Amérique des années soixante et soixante-dix avec tous ses bouleversements: Le racisme, le Vietnam, l'Assassinat de JFK puis de son frère, le désespoir d'une nation, Nixon, la Watergate, le Klan, les complots et l'empire invisible...
On accompagne Daniel, condamné à la peine capital par chaise électrique, accusé de tuer Nathan son meil
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
Candlemoth is truly a phenomenal book that was gripping from start to end. Apart from it being quite predictable, I can't really fault it. The characters were well formed and the plot was interesting. I thought that the writing flowed smoothly and the transition from present day to past memories worked extremely well. I adored the symbolism of the candlemoth. This book works so well at delving deep into so many issues and could perhaps even be considered a bit of a history lesson (though certain ...more
Mohammed Abdi Osman
For this kind of epic flasback story with so much emotions to it and with backdrop of important US history of 50s,60s etc the writing was not good enough for me to believe the personal story of the characters,the characters themselves.
John Gall
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb book, good storyline, beautifully written. I would strongly recommend this book, and very much look forward to reading more by this author who came strongly recommended.
Christine Bonheure
3,5 sterren. Dit debuut van Ellory vertelt over de vriendschap tussen blanke Danny en zwarte Nathan tijdens het Amerika van de jaren 60/70. De auteur vertelt meeslepend over het lief en leed dat beide vrienden delen, hun eerste stappen in de liefde en hun protest tegen de oorlog in Vietnam. Ellory weet de sfeer van die dagen – met de moorden op Martin Luther King en Kennedy - subliem op te roepen. Wanneer Nathan wordt vermoord, wordt Danny ter dood veroordeeld. In de dagen voor zijn executie ver ...more
Jaime
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Four times I’ve been betrayed – twice by women, once by a better friend than any man might wish for, and lastly by a nation. And perhaps, truth be known, I betrayed myself. So that makes five.”

R.J. Ellory always grabs me from the instant his story begins. This is the third of his novels I’ve read (the first he published), and each time I’ve been captivated by the opening lines.

Candlemoth is the story of Daniel Ford, a young white man who grew up in the South Carolina of the 50s. From the beginn
Karpop
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het verhaal van vriendschap en verraad is prachtig geschreven. De (ongelofelijke) geschiedenis vanaf de jaren 60 tot en met de jaren 80 is goed verweven in het plot betreffende de moord op Nathan Verney. De emoties voel je.
Ik vind het niet echt een thriller. Je bent benieuwd hoe het afloopt, maar spannend: nee.
De continue verwijzingen naar dat er iets staat te gebeuren, gaan op een gegeven moment irriteren.

Spoiler
Priester blijkt uiteindelijk undercover agent. Vader van vriendin - politicus - wil
Gisela Hafezparast
Really it is a 3.5

I really enjoyed the historic details of this book and then the description of the two main authors relationship as children and teenagers. However, I felt whilst their "flight" was descriped very well, I would have like much more on how this changed their relationship. To understand them and what happened better it would have also been helpful to hear more about their parents, surrounding, etc. Whilst Daniel's love life was well documented, Nathan's important relationships wer
David
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that got me started with Roger Ellory.

Glad I found it in the 'interestsing reads' section of my local library. I have since bought it for myself, and re-read it.

Other reviews have captured the story and resolution better than I, but for me I liked this in the way that I liked Stewart O'Nan's 'The Good Wife' - the mapping of the characters' psyches that leads them (in both books) into a resignation that one's life is mapped out and it's too hard for us to climb out of the pit and
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a real "wow" book. It has shades of John Irving about it, particularly A Prayer For Owen Meany. Like Owen Meany, it's set during the Vietnam War, has the relationship between two young boys at its centre and you know one of the boys will die from the outset. It could have been sentimental, overdone and downbeat but the author handles all these issues sensitively in beautiful prose

Having read the header description posted from Amazon I thought I was in for a mediocre read but the review
Beth (bibliobeth)
Really enjoyed this book, good story and well written, a few unnecessary parts I thought but by the end I couldn't put it down. Looking forward to reading more by this writer.
Teresa
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily the best book I have read this year. In the vein of "The Help"/"To Kill A Mocking Bird"/To Sir With Love". Brilliant.
Ingrid Fasquelle
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
R. J. Ellory est né en 1965 en Angleterre. Après avoir connu l’orphelinat et la prison, il devient guitariste dans un groupe de rythm n'blues, avant de se tourner vers la photographie, puis l’écriture. Papillon de nuit est son premier roman publié en France. C’est un portrait saisissant, dur et troublant d’une Amérique qui se cherche, un récit fascinant qui entremêle le présent et le passé, sonde les émotions intimes et fouille les replis les plus nauséabonds de l’Histoire des États-Unis.
Assassi
Catherine
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Ford has thirty-six days to live. Accused of the horrific murder of his best friend Nathan twelve years before, he has exhausted all appeals and now faces the long walk to the electric chair. All he can do is make peace with his God. Father John Rousseau is the man to whom the last month of Daniel's life has been entrusted. All the two men have left to do is rake over the last ashes of Ford's existence. So he begins to tell his story. Daniel's story takes him from his first meeting with N ...more
Nancy
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il y a des livres qui marquent et dont on se rappelle encore des années plus tard. Papillon de nuit fait partie de ces livres.
Non seulement l'auteur, par des flash-backs bien amenés, ménage le suspense jusqu'au bout mais il nous peint aussi le portrait de l'Amérique des années 60/70.
Cette Amérique qu'on connait vaguement mais qu'on découvre de l'intérieur. Bien sûr on sait qu'il y avait la ségrégation, et la guerre du Vietnam, l'assassinat de Kennedy et de Martin Luther King ont marqués les mémo
Kris Van Laer
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my third book I've read from Ellory ( 2 in a row) and again i was not dissappointed. Ellory's writing style is great and he has a gift in creating characters you can symphatize with ( sometimes I feel some Stephen King in him, though different genre). In this book Danny is looking back in death row on his life by confessing to a priest. Convicted ( innocently) for murdering his best friend the book takes you back to the sixties in the US, a country in turmoil due to rascism, murders, rio ...more
Gavin Richards
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time for a long time that I became immersed in a book that was "unputadownable" thank you Mr Ellory.
From the first page to the last I was enthralled. I read "Angels" a couple of years ago and enjoyed that immensely too but not quite to the same degree.
I'll be looking for Mr Ellory's other titles and I'm excited that he has produced so many but perhaps I read the best one first which would be disappointing.

Sean Harding
A beautiful reflective, melancholic crime fiction novel, which is part about friendship, part about modern US history and politics and part about the brutality of the US justice system and the horrors of the death penalty.
It never seems to preach though, and the ending is totally satisfying.
This is a great read, and the first book by Ellory. I am looking forward to reading more from him.
Felix
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Really good, really tough. A man is on death row, a white man who has lived in the turbulent 60s whose best friend is black and is found murdered. He recounts his story as he awaits his final moments.

Ellory gives amazing historical details, his writing is truly beautiful, and the ending is so good. Such a terrific book.
Sophie
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
un peu long, l'histoire est tellement prévisible... l'écriture s'essouffle un peu. je l'ai fini un peu "par principe". déçue de cet écrivain qui m'avait tellement bouleversée avec son livre "seul le silence"
Henrik
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A great novel about coming of age, friendship, conspiracies, 1960s/70s history, life on death row, coming to one's own decisions, regret, and love. The novel contains many great smaller stories and interesting characters that end up to a compelling read that I've greatly enjoyed until the end.
Alisea91
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Déçue par ce livre. L'histoire est très bien, mais la narration est complètement passée à côté. ça traîne en longueur pendant plus de 400 pages, et la partie qui méritait vraiment d'être détaillée est bâclée en moins de 10 pages.
Marie-Eve Anctil
Un peu deçu par le livre je m'attendais à mieux
Kin
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
buon libro. Ben scritto. Angosciante.
Sam
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fiction, suspense
Excellent! Well worth a read.
Beth Arrowsmith Herbert
I really got engrossed in the book and loved the way history was wrapped up in a truly heartbreaking story. A thought provoking book that keeps you thinking way after it ends.
  • Go to Sleep
  • Gin O'Clock
  • Heroic
  • Angels in the Snow
  • The Shadow Collector (Wesley Peterson, #17)
  • The Quest for Juice
  • Desert Wind (A Lena Jones Mystery, #7)
  • The Choice
  • The Act of Roger Murgatroyd: An Entertainment
  • Incinerator (Simeon Grist Mystery, #4)
  • Dot
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Dusk (Dusk, #1)
  • The Truth Hurts (Marie Lightfoot, #3)
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • The Heart of the Dales
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • Never Tell
Roger began his first novel on November 4th, 1987 and did not stop, except for three days when he was going through a divorce from his first wife, until July of 1993. During this time he completed twenty-two novels, most of them in longhand, and accumulated several hundred polite and complimentary rejection letters from many different and varied publishers.

He stopped writing out of sheer frustrat
“Truth is truth, you are who you are, and though your viewpoint might change, and though you might possess a different perspective about something, your heart and what you believe and who you are inside is only ever you...and you have to follow your heart, you have to believe what you're doing is right, and no matter what anyone might say or think or do you have to trust yourself to make the right decision.” 12 likes
“One today is better than two tomorrows.” 1 likes