Start by marking “The Glass Sentence (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Glass Sentence (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #1)

The Glass Sentence

(The Mapmakers Trilogy #1)

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  5,643 ratings  ·  1,141 reviews
She has only seen the world through maps. She had no idea they were so dangerous.

Boston, 1891. Sophia Tims comes from a family of explorers and cartologers who, for generations, have been traveling and mapping the New World—a world changed by the Great Disruption of 1799, when all the continents were flung into different time periods.  Eight years ago, her parents left
Published June 12th 2014 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Glass Sentence, please sign up.
Cran Berry What makes a book truly YA is the age of the characters. A YA book can be just enjoyable - or even more so - than an adult book. Very few are "dumbed…moreWhat makes a book truly YA is the age of the characters. A YA book can be just enjoyable - or even more so - than an adult book. Very few are "dumbed down" for younger readers and if one is dumbed down, it probably wasn't a very good book in the first place.(less)
Pooja Yes there is a sequel. It's called 'The Golden Specific' and it comes out on July 14, 2015!

Here is the link to the book:
…more

Here is the link to the book:

(less)

·  5,643 ratings  ·  1,141 reviews

Felicia
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I really enjoyed this young adult novel with a VERY unique world. It's pretty hard to explain, but the world building is quite unique, with time and maps disjointed all over the place and a very cool little girl character trying to rescue her beloved mapmaker uncle. Golden Compass-like. I will be reading the next one for sure!
Jessica
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Don't tell me you know how to map someone's memories, then not tell me how! THAT'S JUST A BIG TEASE.

Whew. That's off my chest.

I wanted to love this book. I've been seeing nothing but praise from both professional reviewers and friends whose taste I trust. But I just couldn't love it. I loved the idea of it, that suddenly the world was broken up into different epochs, with some people moving forward in time and others going back. Mammoths roaming the earth again! Boston Puritans pulling themselve
April
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it

Given my feels about MAPS I am so excited for this book.
TheBookSmugglers
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
In 1799, the world changed radically: the Great Disruption threw all continents into different time periods, different eras coexisting in a chaotic mix and match of generations and historical periods. Europe is back to a papal state and parts of North America are pre-historical. Africa is a land of Pharaohs to the North whereas parts of Asia and South America are far into the future. In the Baldlands, past, present and future are dramatically fused into one single territory, the Triple Eras.

It m
snowplum
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is something special. Its pages can barely contain the immense imagination that has come up with characters, races, environments, maps, and magics that are all described with consummate skill. I'm a reader who is often more moved by books that have an adequate plot but exceptional prose -- in other words, the how is more important to me than the what. But with this book, I simply stand in awe of the what.

I dig the premise that the world has become fragmented in time. I dig Grove's con
Skyler
Jun 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: epic, fantasy, ugh, young-adult
Wait...what? I literally can't even. How did this get made?

This book makes NO SENSE - While reading I kept a list of every confusing point or plot hole I came across; that list grew to be 50+ items.

The characters are just straight up YA tropes and the world is overly imaginative and complicated. No character behaves in a logical or even consistent way; at one point the 13 year old protagonist is clueless to what is going on around her, the next she is a super-genius 'cartologer' who outsmarts t
Joie Mikitson
One of the the great plots, yes, but with the vast amounts of Tolkien-derivative fantasy being published every year it is a pleasure to read a quest tale with such original flair and unique settings and perspective. All of the continents have been thrown into different time periods and crossing a border can put you a thousand years into the past or the future. This makes exploration and cartography extra important and results in creating maps on glass that record feelings and memories. I don't w ...more
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
This book reminded me so much of The Golden Compass!

So yeah; if you liked that book you'll probably enjoy this.

Still love the idea of time being different all over the world but the book was kind of slow to read and the similarities with GC did make it a bit boring for me. Also I feel like I'm almost too old to read this? At least in part - some parts of the book were a bit too dark to be categorized as "appropriate for children" while others were just "this is too basic for an adult/young adult
Sabrina
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Glass Sentence
⭐ 4/5

When I started reading this book I thought that I wasn't going to like it, but then I got to page 💯, it changes.
I loved the story, is very unique, the maps were a big part of the mystery, and I really liked, it was easy to understand and very well written.

The characters are adorable and very clever in there on way.
The relationship between Sophia and her uncle are goals, they would do anything to make sure that everything is okay.
The friendship of Theo and Sophia was
Beth
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Glass Sentence strikes me as an old-school throwback to classic children's fantasy. It's got excellent, excellent worldbuilding and an intrepid protagonist armed with a map and a mission, unfettered by parental intervention. This is a story about Sophia, whose parents are explorers gone missing and whose uncle is a famed mapmaker with a hand in politics and a housekeeper with a Past. And yet somehow it's all vaguely familiar. These are characters I've met before, under different names and gu ...more
Shelby
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
3 stars!
I hate giving this book a 3 stars because I thought I would really like it and it turn out that I really did not like it. To me it did not really catch my attention that much. It was really not the right boom for me. I was hoping to like it as much as what it sounded like.
Kate Willis
The entire time I was reading another book with a character named Theo, I was reminded of my Theo in this one. Also, since it’s been a few years since I last read this book, I thought it was time for a re-read. ;)

My rating has changed since my first read through, and my feelings about it are pretty mixed, so I’ll be doing this review in list format. So we can end on a positive (way too fan-girly) note, I’ll start with the things I disliked…

Things I Disliked
1. The cover. They changed the cover to
nat. (semi-hiatus)
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
1st read: 2014 • (August 18 - August 23)

when I first read this book I was left confused. like seriously my brain felt a little riddled but that's why re-reading it's a wonderful thing. not to mention I forgot mostly everything but that could be again from that messy riddling. with a nice blend of fantasy, magic and adventure in a world remade by the Great Disruption, this made an interesting yet unusual read.

there's also pirates, I mean, who doesn't like pirates!
Alexandra
Jun 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Starts off with a blatant political commentary. No thanks.
Tina
Blog | Pinterest | Twitter | Booktube | Booklikes | Instagram | Google+ | Tumblr

Okay, so I did write a coherent review.

5 Reasons to Read The Glass Sentence by S.E. Grove:

1.) Sophia, the protagonist, is absolutely adorable. When I first read that her major flaw was that she lost track of time, I thought of my own experience, now and at her age, and how I once told a friend that I could spend hours staring at walls without realizing how much time had passed. Her flaw is so easy to relate to and is
Celeste_pewter
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's not that often that I have back stories involving the books I review, but I do have one for The Glass Sentence. I originally read the news about the sale in Publisher's Weekly back in 2013, and immediately thought that this was a book that I would love to read.

But for some reason, I ended up not writing down the title of the book. And no matter how hard I searched for months afterward, I just couldn't find the Publisher Weekly's announcement again. Every time I tried looking for the upcomi
Munro's Kids
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
In this first of a series, we enter a world that has been fractured and thrown into different ages and epochs. About a hundred years prior to the events of the novel, the earth split along its fault lines and brought each either backward or forward in time (except for New England which apparently stayed the same). An adolescent girl named Sophia Timms seeks to find out what happened to her parents, explorers who vanished during an expedition. But before she can find the truth, her uncle is kidna ...more
Kathryn
This book was SO frustrating! Maybe I am just really missing something big here. Because, for me, it just didn't come together. I have so many questions that didn't seem answered, or the "answers" just made more questions. I feel like some of the ideas were really fascinating and could have been brilliant, but either the author didn't have enough of an idea about her world-building or she wasn't skilled enough to convey it to her audience. I thought the writing was decent in terms of it moved ea ...more
Ngaire
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, ya-lit
Amazing idea. Poor execution. Disappointing.
Mary
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are many days where I am thankful that my beloved works in a bookstore. This day is one of them.

A while ago he had borrowed this book from the store -the ARC version-, and after a small bought of depression and minor begging, he allowed me to read it (even if I had it so much longer than I should have.) I have a terrible history with reading books I can not stand, and not realizing how poor they were until I reach the end and feel empty.

Before entering this book we must remember this is
Miriam
May 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Slow to get off the ground and concluding with a maddening cliff-hanger, this one was a slog for me. Several writers I admire blurbed it effusively, so perhaps my own intellectual short-comings account for my lack of enthusiasm.

I did like the character of Theo--even better than the protagonist, Sophia--and trying to discern his back story kept me somewhat engaged.

Nonetheless, I was confused by the world S.E. Grove created. I couldn't make much sense of the cataclysmic event that threw time and
Skip
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A cataclysm called the Great Disruption fractured Earth into a hodge-podge of different time periods and development. 13-year old Sophia Tims lives with her uncle in late 19th century Boston, part of New Occident (Eastern seaboard, deep South and part of the Midwest.) When her cartologer (mapmaker) uncle is kidnapped, Sophie goes off to find help in neighboring Triple Eras (central America), and is joined by the mysterious buy loyal Theo and a band of benevolent pirates. The book's great strengt ...more
Moonkiszt
Apr 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Gave up. Too confusing with no reason to continue beyond a fan review or two. . .or maybe just not the right time to start me with political crap at the beginning. Too much like the orange dude.
Kelley
First impression: curious. I decided to read this book because it's a 2014 debut and it looked sort of interesting. I requested it on Edelweiss but was denied, so I shrugged and moved on.

Second impression: excited. When I went to pick up my pre-ordered copy of Ruin & Rising, I saw The Glass Sentence on display, and the bookshop owner started raving about it. Once I picked it up and saw the GORGEOUS cover design and the MULTIPLE maps inside, I knew I needed to have it.

Third impression: enthra
Cat
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF at page 199

I tried, you guys. Despite what my goodreads log may say, I've been trying to read this on and off for a week and a half, at least. I would read a couple pages and put it down. I hate DNFing novels like these where there were so many things to like. But alas, the premise had a terrible time getting stuck in too much info-dumping that actually never answered my questions. A historical fiction where the world was flung into different ages? SIGN ME UP.

However, this is one of those
Marianne - November Words
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Although middle grades are not among my top favourites, I really enjoyed this book! It's unique, strange, adventurous. A bit confusing at times, but it's a minor complaint.
Sophie, the MC, is a caring, witty 13 years old girl and it was enjoyable to read from her perispective. I really liked the secondary characters as well, such as Blanca, Calixta, and Shadrack.
There are so many strange creatures, for example the Lachrima: jeez, they're creepy creatures, but their stories are also really
Adrienne
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
The world made no sense, assuming you believe in the fundamental nature of causality and the speed of light. How can you have different "ages" on the same world, with people traveling freely between them? Surprise! You've just traveled faster than the speed of light! And then considering the precession of the earth.. the surface of the planet would physically be in different places in these different ages. (This is clearly an alternate reality earth and I'm pretty sure there were seasons, hence ...more
Christine
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Review to come... The story premise is 5-star, unique, and original. The reality is overall more like: 3 stars for characterization; 4 stars for the plot; 2 stars for the disturbing and/or over-explained aspects that I don't think are right for "ages 10 and up." I would change that to ages 13 and up. I haven't been this conflicted about a children's book in some time... I'm averaging my rating to 3 stars, but this was an odd book for me. More later...
Haley
"You will see it through me."
- taken from The Glass Sentence

Set apart from the other science fiction novels with its lack of world wars, plague outbreaks, or zombies, The Glass Sentence is a world unhinged by the least likeliest source of terror: time. Much of the world is now Unknown; every continent thrown into different Ages. The United States is now the New Occident, the West has not been won, and Boston is the home of all things political, including our wee teen protagonist Sophia Tims.

The
Libby
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.25 - 4.5 stars.

This book was so interesting!! The world SE Grove has created is so unbelievably interesting, and so well-developed. Throughout the book, we kept learning new things about New Occident and the Baldlands (which I kept reading as Badlands - it isn't), and there's also a magical element in it with the Marks of Iron and Vine. The story was fast-paced and exciting, and I loved the plot. It was unpredictable but amazing.

The only downsides were the characters. They were

• Gabriel Finley and the Raven's Riddle (Gabriel Finley #1)
  • The Riverman (The Riverman Trilogy, #1)
  • Dreamwood
  • Flights and Chimes and Mysterious Times
  • The Mark of the Dragonfly (World of Solace, #1)
  • The Lost Kingdom
  • The League of Seven (The League of Seven, #1)
  • A Path Begins (The Thickety #1)
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • The Luck Uglies (The Luck Uglies, #1)
  • The Accidental Keyhand (The Ninja Librarians #1)
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Witches
  • Curiosity
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • Sparkers
  • West of the Moon
  • Constable & Toop
  • The Terror of the Southlands (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #2)

The Mapmakers Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Golden Specific (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #2)
  • The Crimson Skew (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #3)
“That is almost always the way with stories. True to their very core, even when the events and the people in them are different.” 19 likes
“Men may irritate women entirely by accident, but I believe they infuriate one another wholly by design.” 17 likes