Start by marking “The Collector” as Want to Read:
The Collector

The Collector

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  26,333 ratings  ·  2,148 reviews
From #1 New York Times-bestselling author Nora Roberts comes a novel of a woman who needs nothing, a man who sees everything, and the web of deceit, greed, and danger that brings them together—and could tear them apart . . .

When professional house-sitter Lila Emerson witnesses a murder/suicide from her current apartment-sitting job, life as she knows it takes a dramatic t
Published April 15th 2014 by Berkley

·  26,333 ratings  ·  2,148 reviews

Miki
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-read-again
Meh. I know that I am going to get hate mail from Nora lovers (since it is high treason to not LOVE everything she writes) but I am not impressed by this book. Please note--the following is my opinion. Comments are welcome--abuse is not.

Roberts obviously has a file cabinet filled with character descriptions from which she just pulls a stock set for each new book.

One sassy, beautiful heroine.
Check.
One studly, smart hero.
Check.
One (or two) female sidekicks, ditto male, also sassy, beautiful,
Alex is The Romance Fox
 photo tumblr_lz9ljfgH9I1r3zat8_zpse55e2f2c.gif

Whew, for a moment there I thought I was right – but no, I am not!!! Thinking that this book had been written by some other author!!!! Crazy right???? But as a more than rabid fan of NORA ROBERTS, from reading her first book many years ago, I have become very familiar with her writing style, plots, characters, etc….and for me, THE COLLECTOR just did not make me feel or think it could possibly be a NR book.

By Chapter Two……it was like….WHAT AM I READING? Checked, and yes, it’s the right book…..b
Alp
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25/5

You can't go far wrong with Nora Roberts’s books. She always knows how to give what the readers want, and as a reader, I want the stories that keep me up late until the last page is turned. I want to feel the thrill of reading that never fades and the stories that never pall. And I can tell I got exactly what I want from this book! This was a fantastic romantic suspense story that had me hooked from the very start until the very end. With a brilliant plot, endearing hero and heroine, likab
Jilly
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
I would say that you would really like this book if you like Eve Dallas and Roarke. The guy definitely has Roarke-appeal going for him. And, the female is a bit less likable, although in a different way.

She's just a tad over the top. Too perfect, too able, too efficient. And, she's a bit of a creeper by looking into other people's windows to watch their lives. Get your own life, lady!

She literally takes binoculars with her to her house-sitting jobs to do her creepy stalker thing. Which, as we al
Jill
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lila Emerson is a professional house-sitter. She loves her job; it offers her a glimpse into the lives of the neighbours of the houses she minds. As well as house-sitting, Lila is a talented writer of children's fiction, so observing new people and their habits adds dimension to her fictional characters. Her binoculars are never too far away.

Her latest assignment is an apartment in Chelsea, New York, offering her a perfect view of the neighbouring apartment block. One night Lila sees an
Vicki
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Collector by Nora Roberts is a book that took me to one of my favorite subjects, missing antiques. Antiques that have a notorious history and a list of interested parties. The antiques in this story are my most favorite antiques to read about.

As the deaths keep growing, the mysterious circumstances place fear into Lila Emerson.

Lila is a nomadic house-sitter. She is a professional and has quite a following. When she sees a woman die from her loaned house, she is drawn into a serious circle o
Amber
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Sigh, this book was sadly disappointing. It wasn't bad, but definitely not up to snuff with many of her other books. And it started off from the beginning, because the initial premise of how they meet just loses me.

I mean, come on. In what world is the police going to let (slight spoiler alert, but it happens in the first 10 pages of the book) the brother of the accused perpetrator meet with the sole eye-witness to the event. Can you imagine if the police acted like that? "Why sure, of course y
Karla

4 Stars! Absorbing well thought out romantic suspense!

A very exciting shocking start, an intriguing mystery, and a likeable couple that meet under unusual tragic circumstances, made this a captivating read. There was also a lovely secondary romance that added a nice touch, especially since it was a second chance at love. I enjoyed how through association, one person or another from the two couples knew each other, making it more personal. I was rooting for both couples and liked the characters a
Cyndi
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Ok. You guys know I have a deep seated love for Nora Roberts, so you may think I'm just showing favoritism. But this is among the top ten of my favorite books, ever!!
The heroine, Lila is one of my favorite characters of all time! She's kind, helpful, loyal, strong, brave, smart, the list just goes on. When she housesits she treats the house and pets with love and attention. She even fixes little things in the house! Add to all that, she writes YA novels with werewolves!
Of course the hero (wh
Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
Well, I had all kinds of things to say about this book but I was too lazy to take many notes and a week has passed and now there’s nothing much left that stuck with me.

If I had to choose a book that defines a three star read for me this one would be right up there. It’s not awful, it flows nice and stuff, but it’s not earth-shatteringly fantastic either and that’s a shame. I wish all books were earth-shatteringly fantastic. I didn’t laugh and I didn’t cry and I was only vaguely entertained but t
Celeste
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review now posted!
Original review can be found at Booknest.

I’m not usually a binge reader. I like to have multiple books going at one time and swap between them so I don’t burn out or get bogged down. But anytime I pick up a book from Nora, I just devour it. It doesn’t matter if it’s a new book or one I’ve read half a dozen times. There’s just something about her writing that is completely addicting to me, and I can’t put it down until I’m finished. The Collector was definitely no exception
Goatlips
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh! I hated the main characters with a passion! The females were sooo superficial (gotta buy tons of shoes while in Italy! I should have bought that purse/bag when I had a chance). GAG me.

The males weren't any better. Of course, the male lead is a world famous artist who makes millions of dollars painting pictures of witches and faeries (I was literally LOL, I mean, how cheesy is that? Could you imagine someone plunking down thousands of dollars on a painting of a woman in a forest?) LAAMME.

And
Jessica
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, own, nora-roberts
The Collector: The sequel to Angels Fall, a novel by Nora Roberts. Reese has a new job as a house sitter and author of tween books, while Brody decides to pursue his lifelong dream to become an artist. When Reese witness's another murder, circumstances lead to Reese and Brody on a treasure hunt. Romance ensues.

Huh? The characters names are Lila and Ash.

Oh, yes. I see that.

Then why do you keep saying it's about some other book?

Because they are practically the same characters. Same physical at
Jonetta
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nora Roberts has her romantic suspense mojo back! In this latest book, we see elements of the Hitchcock classic, Rear Window, which happens to be my most favorite film.

Quick summary
Lila Emerson, a professional house sitter, witnesses a woman falling from her apartment window in New York City. She saw this as she was "people watching" from her current apartment. What might have initially been classified as a murder-suicide is impacted by her quick response. Ashton Archer's brother is one of the v
✨Susan✨
When Lila Emerson an unsuspecting writer and professional house sitter, is a witness to the brutal murder of a man and woman in a high rise across from where she is staying, she is pulled into a whirlwind of the upper echelon of a family dynasty. As the police end up at a dead end and then there is another torturous murder in the same family, she is approached by Ash Archer, the elder brother one of the decedents for some answers.

Lila and Ash find themselves searching for a ruthless, female ass
Terri
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fiction
I'm a pretty big Nora Roberts fan, and I was pretty disappointed in this book. For starters, it's way too long. I have never read a (modern) book by her that drags. This dragged. Second, the hero was remarkably unlikable. There is a specific scene about a third of the way through the book, where I would have just walked if I were the heroine, and the only reason she didn't is because she is written to be less strong than she thinks she is. The hero is pushy, obnoxious, and a hypocrite. I kept wa ...more
Phrynne
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an unexpectedly long book for Nora Roberts plus I was listening to it on audiobook so it took even longer to finish than if I was reading it. However it was also very enjoyable. The story was a little far fetched and the characters were all stunningly beautiful and very rich but that is standard fare for this author and she does write it all so well. Romance wise everything was fine and dandy. I liked Lila and Ash although he occasionally came across as a bit too controlling. The ending ...more
Ian
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gold fish (oh look there's a castle!)
A Nora Roberts heroine witnesses a crime. A Nora Roberts hero teams up with her to solve the crime all the while a Nora Roberts villain is on the hunt. Read this book...read the Witness...read The Search...it doesn't really matter, they're all the same.

description

If you want to read some really great romantic suspense, do yourself a favour, get onto Carolyn Crane's The Associates series and give this a miss.
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read: 30 January - 25 February 2017

1st read: 20-23 May 2014
I thought I'll have a heart attack while reading the book. It was so good!
Brenda
4.5★s

Professional house-sitter, Lila Emerson had just settled into her latest luxurious home in New York with the owner’s cat Thomas curling around her legs and mewling contentedly. She was a writer and currently working on her second novel, part of a series for young adults. She was also a people watcher – a habit she enjoyed – the interesting lives of other people gave her lots of ideas; she was fascinated by what she observed.

A few days later, relaxing after a day immersed in the lives of he
Tina
This book is the very definition of a 3-star book. I liked it, it was an easy read, it was technically well written. It wasn't terrible and didn't make me roll my eyes . It wasn't implausible. It made sense. But alas, it will not jump to the front of the my mind when someone asks me for a rec of a good Nora Roberts book or even a good suspense book. It did not move me and it did not prompt me to go back and re-read it immediately after finishing. A fine book, easy to read and kill and afternoon ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Lila Emerson is a professional house-sitter. One of her favorite pastimes is to observe people. This often includes binoculars. While observing her current neighbors she sees a murder and immediately calls 911. Later it is discovered that there were two victims and one is the brother of artist Ashton Archer. Ashton teams with Lila to discover who the killer is.

Exciting and enjoyable! A good solid Romantic Suspense read that I would certainly recommend to other fans.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating: Nora Roberts is the Nora Roberts for a reason. She knows just what her readers enjoy, and it’s clear from every page that she still enjoys it too, even after so many years and over 200 books behind her. It’s pretty clear when authors love what they do, and you can tell right from the start that this woman writes precisely what she herself would want to read.

The Collector is another one in a long line of successes, and while it’s far from being her
☕️Kimberly
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five Reasons to Grab a chocolate flavored coffee and nestle down with The Collector:

1. Lila Emerson- House sitter extraordinaire, young adult-paranormal writer and female MacGyver. I adored Lila and found her lifestyle fascinating. If my husband ever passes before me, I have decided I want to be a house sitter and go all over the world taking care of family pets, plants and homes for the wealthy. Have laptop will travel. Lila was quirky, quick-witted and for a petite little thing she is a total
Sarah (A Weebish Book Blog)
The first thoughts that came to me when I finally finished THE COLLECTOR were, “That’s it. I’ve found my higher calling. I’m going to travel the world and house-sit for rich people, take an artist as my lover, and have him/her paint me in emeralds while solving an international mystery.” I’m probably asking for too much (especially since I’m more of a homebody than a world traveler) but this book was such an adventure that I want to experience what the characters did — excluding the murder of fa ...more
BookLover
I liked this overall, though it did drag at parts for me. There were also a few airhead "I'm too stupid to be alive" moments from the heroine that had me rolling my eyes but still was able to enjoy this story.
~♥~ happinesslife

La verdad es que leo pocos libros de suspense y policíacos asique cada vez que leo uno me encanta, además el toque de romance siempre hace que me enganche mucho más.

El tema de resolver el asesinato es el principal, junto con ello vamos descubriendo parte de la historia de Rusia y los huevos de Febergé. Esta parte le ha dado un toque interesante y mucho más profundo. La resolución me ha parecido un poco sencilla y poco elaborada pero el final me ha gustado
Kjen
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another strong standalone from my favorite author:) I loved both of the lead character types in this...which really helps, because I don't get irritated with one or the other as often;) As usual, Nora 'paints in my head.' The settings and imagery throughout the book were exceptional. It was very cool the way she described Ash's artwork and the elements it exuded. Evil bad guys and strong, colorful side characters abound. I enjoyed the conflict between Lila and Ash's father. Also, the fact that i ...more
BooksTwins
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RESEÑA EN EL BLOG PRONTO
Anna Casanovas
Aunque un libro de Nora Roberts siempre está técnicamente bien escrito, si Goodreads dejase puntuar con medias estrellas a "El Coleccionista" le habría otorgado dos estrellas y media.
Compré "El Coleccionista" con muchas ganas, mi última lectura de Nora Roberts, "La Testigo", me gustó mucho y me apetecía volver a leerla. Quizá haber leído estas dos novelas tan seguidas ha perjudicado a "El Coleccionista", no lo sé. En cualquier caso, la historia de amor entre Lila y Ash no me ha convencido ni em
  • Devoted in Death (In Death, #41)
  • River Road
  • Hunted
  • The Edge of Night
  • Wild Encounter
“Fictional people are people, too, otherwise why would we care what happens to them?” 14 likes
“Second chances are scarier than first chances, because the second time you know how much you’re risking.” 8 likes