Start by marking “Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay, #1)

Cure for the Common Breakup

(Black Dog Bay #1)

Welcome to Black Dog Bay, a tiny seaside town in Delaware known as "the best place in America to bounce back from your breakup." Home to Better Off Bed-and-Breakfast, the Eat Your Heart Out bakery, and the Whinery bar, Black Dog Bay offers a haven for the suddenly single.

Flight attendant Summer Benson lives by two rules: Don’t stay with the same man for too long and never
Published May 6th 2014 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Cure for the Common Breakup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cure for the Common Breakup

Cheryl
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Light chick lit about a jilted flight attendant who goes to Black Dog Bay to recover from a breakup. Although she puts on a party-girl veneer, her flirty "love 'em and leave 'em" attitude really hides a "dump him before he dumps me" fear. She dives into a rebound relationship with the town's mayor and becomes friends with the teen sister he's raising. As things get serious, she has to decide on playing it safe or giving in to real love.

I read the second book in this series first, and I liked tha
Elyse Walters
Jun 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
"You Could practically hear waves of estrogen sloshing around" .... That 'quote' (in the book itself) --pretty much sums up my experience.

Or this line: ""Mmmm. You smell all woodsy and delectable". She shivered at the feel of the calluses against his smooth skin". I 'shivered' too, but at such a 'hog-wash' story!

My biggest question I had of this book was....
"What happened to all the people on the plane after the plane crash? Not 'one' word was mentioned about the passengers after an emergency l
Pamela
May 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Stephanie
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Um, can you say love? Because I loved this one.

Summer Benson, flight attendant extraordinaire, is your typical party girl who loves a good time and hates any kind of commitment, be it to a man or to a place. After a tragic accident though, Summer finds herself in a terrible place, feeling heartbroken and lost. Not knowing what else to do, she remembers seeing an ad for Black Dog Bay, a small tourist town in Delaware that caters to the heartbroken with places such as the Eat Your Heart Out Bakery
Chloe
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
K.
Trigger warnings: plane crash, minor car accident, blackmail.

3.5 stars.

After reading a string of slightly mediocre books, I was hoping that this would be the one to break the string of 3-3.5 star books. But LOL NOPE. It just continued things. Sigh.

Still. It was an enjoyable enough read about a flight attendant whose pilot boyfriend goes from about-to-propose to we're-done in the length of time it takes for their plane to crash. So she takes herself off to Black Dog Bay, Delaware, which she rea
Diane ~Firefly~
A town that is known as the breakup capitol is an interesting starting point.

What I enjoyed:
* Summer was an interesting character. She had a lousy childhood and a major incident that led her to Black Dog Bay. She quickly became friends with many residents and stood up to the town bully.
* Ingrid, Dutch's teenage sister was adorable. She towed the line, being raised by her brother, the mayor and after meeting Summer, finally got to act her age a bit.
* Dutch was a good man. Very patient and underst
Caroline
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, chic-lit, rom-com
Full Review on The Blog
www.carolineandrus.com/blog

You guys, I don't even LIKE chic lit and I can't rave about this book enough! This is more of a 4.5 but at the top of my recommendations right now for light, fluffy, laugh out loud reading material.

I knocked down half a star because I wasn't in love with how the story began, it seemed too over the top. Then Summer arrived in Black Dog Bay. And ran over the mayors rose bushes. And blamed it on turtles and Taylor Swift. From this point on I was 10
Samantha (WLABB)
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

This is the second book I have read in the series, and it was exactly what I was looking for - fun and on the lighter side. Loved the set up, and thought Dutch and Summer were fabulous together. I also loved Black Dog Bay in general. Kendrick made the town a refuge for the heartbroken and filled it with some really colorful characters.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Barbara ★
I was rather surprised that I enjoyed this chicklit book. This type of book usually makes me cringe but I really liked the heroine, Summer and I just found cranky Dutch sexy. Maybe it just hit me on a good day. lol

I will definitely be returning to Black Dog Bay.
Melody
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Flight attendant Summer Benson has spent her entire career traveling to exotic places and enjoying relationships with men, all while guarding her heart and avoiding commitment. As she debates whether it is finally time to settle down, unexpected events land her in the hospital, and an anticipated marriage proposal ends up as a break-up instead. Summer finds her tidy world turned upside down and heads to a quiet little shoreline town to sort thing out...

Black Dog Bay, a small seaside village know
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review - original post in full on Two Classy Chics

The first word I think of with this story is FUN. This book is fun and a great read! I love the main character Summer. She is strong, confident, says what she wants and tries not to show her vulnerability. It is easy to love her and as I kept reading, I decided I want to be just like her!

And Dutch? The perfect compliment to Summer with his laid back personality and take charge attitude. He
Christine
Jul 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I have about 80 pages left of this book, and I can already review it. Don't. Do. It. I read this because I read Nearlyweds, also by Kendrick, and it was an unexpected great read (I had picked it up at a library sale). Despite my initial hesitance to read Cure for the Common Breakup, (because it isn't the kind of book I normally read), I went with my previous experience of reading Kendrick and the goodreads rating. How in the world this book has a 3.75 rating is beyond me.
I found Summer, the mai
Stacy
Another hit out of the ballpark for Beth Kendrick. Her books just keep getting better and better. I'm at the point where one per year doesn't suffice. :)

Black Dog Bay sounds like such an awesome place, if there isn't a town in America that's like this, there should be. I want to go there and I'm not even going through a breakup. And Beth did an excellent job of making you hate some of the characters in the beginning, but by the end of the book, showed you a different side to them that made you e
Suzanne
I read "Cure for the Common Breakup" as part of Booksparks PR's "Summer 2014 Reading Challenge" and I loved it! Kendrick weaves a wonderful story!

Summer Benson is a flight attendant who travels the world, never setting down roots and fleeing any type of serious relationships. When a near-tragedy grounds her, she ends up in Black Dog Bay, Delaware - dubbed the world's best place to recover from a breakup, only to find that she doesn't need much time to recover. From day one, she makes her mark o
Kourtney
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I cannot recommend this book enough! To everyone who enjoys chick lit! To everyone who enjoys beach reads! To everyone who enjoys a great story! And to anyone who has ever tried to run away from a problem before rather than face it head on - this book is for you!

I found it difficult to put this book down once I started it. I too am a 32 year old unmarried female, who has had her share of "walking it off" moments. I found myself wishing
Sara
This book was super annoying. It got to the point where I could not tolerate reading about Summer and how beautiful, amazing, etc she is. Summer was annoying and tried too hard to be the cool girl. In addition, there's no real plot to the book. Summer gets dumped and goes to this town for people who have gotten dumped. She meets a guy there. The end. Seriously that took me 2 sentences. I really, really wanted to like this book. I can't. (2 stars instead one 1 because I liked the beginning of the ...more
Vicki
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I did today besides read is eat--with one hand holding my e-reader. I tried to slow down and make the book last but I couldn't. I want to go to Delaware and meet these people. Maybe Summer could befriend and mentor me; that's how real the characters feel. I have to go to the store now and buy chocolate to help me with this book hangover, because real life doesn't measure up to the funny world Beth Kendrick created with her snarky protagonist.
Angela Pineda
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was pretty much a dud for me. I’m don’t think I’m picky when it comes to chick lit but there was just *nothing* about this book. I loved Kendrick’s “The Week Before the Wedding”, liked “My Favorite Mistake” and was pretty meh on “Exes and Ohs” — this might be my least favorite. Nothing in the story was captivating, the characters weren’t fully developed; there’s nothing I hate more than “oh that guy/girl doesn’t date anyone” on page 10 only to be obsessed/in love/blatantly into someone on p ...more
Lauren R.
4.5 stars I think. I loved this. Beth Kendrick became a quick favorite when I read Second Time Around and I decided to explore the Black Dog Bay series via audiobook. Summer was such a sassy character who knew exactly what she wanted. I loved being inside her head. I shipped the romance HARD and the friendships she developed even harder. The town of Black Dog Bay is amazing and I can't wait to see who else I'll meet in the upcoming companion stories. (The setting is known for being a haven for t ...more
Lorilee
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a nice light romance. No crazy antics. The townspeople are of course the backbone to these kinds of books and they did their job splendidly. Do not hestiate if you just need a quick, light Sunday read.
Kobby Gyampoh
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it

REVIEWED ON http://chicklitpad.blogspot.com

MY SYNOPSIS
Imagine This: You are in between cities and in between boyfriends. Kind of easy when you are a flight attendant, jetting all over the world seeing new places and new hotties. Currently, your number one flavour is a pilot, who pilots your plane, until he breaks your spleen and then your heart.

You thought you were invincible. But why does this breakup hurt so much? Perhaps you are not used to guys ditching you? Or this triggers a childhood memo
Debbie Lester
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beth Kendrick's latest book, Cure for the Common Breakup is a fast, easy, read that will have fans lining up to visit Black Dog Bay. The concept of this book was both original and entertaining. A town for the broken-hearted, complete with a wicked matron and a sexy mayor. Kendrick never disappoints when it comes to writing snappy fresh dialogue and creating characters that readers can identify with. Who hasn't had a broken heart at one time or another? Another great read from a master of women's ...more
Obsidian
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please note that I gave this book 4.5 stars which I rounded up to 5 on Goodreads since Goodreads does not allow for half stars on its site.

We follow flight attendant Summer Benson after she survives a plane crash and her boyfriend (who she thought was going to propose) dumping her once she's in the hospital. She hightails it to Black Dog Bay in Delaware to lick her wounds after remembering the brochure being on the plane and mentioning that it was a place for those single and heart broken to re
OpenBookSociety.com
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kim

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kim

cure-for-the-common-breakup-beth-kendrickThis is my first Beth Kendrick book and I found that she is a talented and humorous writer. I thoroughly enjoyed this book so much I couldn’t put it down until the very last page was read. This is a book that I just didn’t want it to end, I liked it that much. I would like this to be a series about all the characters that had a break up and ended up living in Black Dog Bay.

Summer Be
Meg - A Bookish Affair
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2014, fiction
"Cure for the Common Breakup" is an epically cute summer story about Summer (of course that's her name) who is trying to rebuild her life after getting in a plane crash (she's a flight attendant) and getting dumped by her almost fiance. While this sounds like a setup for a book that could feel quite twee if not carried out properly, it is a great love story about falling out of love, dusting yourself off, and allowing yourself to fall back in love again. Filled with a great setting and great cha ...more
Jenn O'Brien
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have to admit, I am a book cover snob - one of my biggest pet peeves is when the cover art work has absolutely nothing to do with the book itself. This one features a stack of ice cream scoops balancing on a cone. Nowhere in the book do the characters eat ice cream, visit an ice cream shop or have anything to do with ice cream. So why put it on the cover?

The title of the book refers to a cocktail that is mixed for the characters. This is mentioned a couple of times - why not put that on the co
Orbs n Rings
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A fun read from beginning to end!

In Cure for the Common Breakup, you have Summer Benson, a flight attendant, who has just literally parked herself (car) on a bed of roses in the small town of Black Dog Bay, Delaware. Summer arrives in Delaware with a heavy heart after being dumped by her pilot boyfriend. What Summer doesn't know is that Black Dog Bay caters to heartbroken women just like her all year round. Black Dog Bay is a quaint town with a whole lot of character and many friendly people and
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)

Did I enjoy this book: I really enjoyed it. There were quite a few moments where I found myself laughing out loud, even though I was waiting for my son at the bus stop. (I probably had some strange looks from the neighbors. Maybe not, they have all seen me reading and walking or reading and waiting for the bus. They should know me by now. ;-) )

I love Summer’s wit, charm, and quick thinking. She cracked me up, especially how she handles the town snobs and entitleds. She is quick on her f
Monica
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Simply put… I love and adore this book! This is one of those books that were made for the summer. It’s fun, cute, and has just the right amount of romance. Now I love romance just as much as anyone else but I like the realistic type of romance not all that over the top stuff. It just doesn’t read real to me. This was the perfect balance!

I love the whole idea of this small town where people go to get over a breakup. The cast of characters are funny and quirky what’s not to love? The lead characte
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Out to Lunch
  • The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club: Power, Passion, and Politics in the Nation's Capital
  • Thriving Through Uncertainty: Moving Beyond Fear of the Unknown and Making Change Work for You
  • The Icing on the Cupcake
  • The Sensational Life and Death of Qandeel Baloch
  • Allure
  • Love and Other Subjects
  • Elly In Love (The Elly in Bloom #2)
  • God and Football: Faith and Fanaticism in the SEC
  • Condi: The Condoleezza Rice Story
  • Elizabeth Rex
  • And I Shall Have Some Peace There: Trading in the Fast Lane for My Own Dirt Road
  • The Love Wars
  • On Grace
  • Conflict Free Living: How to Build Healthy Relationships for Life
  • Cooking for Mr. Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship, with Recipes
  • Thanksgiving
  • Expecting
This is the part where I’m supposed to brag about all my illustrious accomplishments, but honestly, I’d rather talk about my dogs and brag about some of the things I haven’t done:

I’ve never been to prison*, court-ordered rehab*, or splashed across the cover of a salacious weekly gossip tabloid with my ladybits on display**.

I’m a Leo, a middle child, and a formidable Trivial Pursuit opponent. I re

Black Dog Bay (5 books)
  • New Uses for Old Boyfriends (Black Dog Bay, #2)
  • Put a Ring On It (Black Dog Bay, #3)
  • Once Upon a Wine (Black Dog Bay, #4)
  • In Dog We Trust (Black Dog Bay #5)
“She gazed up at his face, ran her fingers along his unshaven cheeks. "I missed you."
He pulled her into his arms. She relaxed into him and let him hold her. She could feel the rhythm of his heart and pressed her lips against the soft cotton T-shirt that covered his chest.
"I missed you," she whispered again.
He stepped back for a moment, holding her at arm's length. "I missed you, too.”
0 likes