Start by marking “Suspicion” as Want to Read:
Suspicion

Suspicion

The new novel from New York Times bestselling author Joseph Finder, “the master of the modern thriller,”* about a father who is forced to make a choice with unspeakable consequences

When single father Danny Goodman suddenly finds himself unable to afford the private school his teenage daughter adores, he has no one to turn to for financial support.

In what seems like a str
Published May 27th 2014 by Dutton (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Suspicion, please sign up.
Brenda I really enjoyed Michael Kortya's Those Who Wish Me Dead. I think If you liked Suspicion, you'd like it!

Pamela
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: yuck-bleh-arrgh
I waited anxiously for Mr.Finder's new release; I have always found his work to be suspenseful & enthralling. Perhaps my expectations were too high; I was more than disappointed. I was angry that I wasted my time and was duped to thinking that this new publication would be on par with his previous thrillers. NOT. I had problems with the exposition (characters, setting,conflict) at the very beginning of the book. The protagonist Danny is wimpy and a flat character. His daughter is a spoiled b ...more
D.B. Woodling
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: suspense fans
When the protagonist, Danny Goodman, a struggling writer, accepts a substantial loan from the wrong person, he not only becomes a person-of-interest to the "DEA" but also discovers there aren't enough adjectives to adequately describe his mounting panic.

Danny is believable as your typical guy-next-door, both fallible and likable. In sharp contrast, Tom Galvin, Danny's nemesis-bad-guy, falls short, failing to exhibit the brute intimidation one would expect.

Filling 390 pages with little irrelevant
Patrice Hoffman
Joseph Finder decides it's time to give his fans a fast paced, thriller after waiting patiently for quite some time. Sure we understand that Paranoia had to be released on film only because that book is awesome, it's still no excuse to keep us on pins and needles for so long. I am only happy that I was able to get my hand on a copy of his latest Suspicion and did not have to forfeit too much sleep since I was practically done with it in only a few hours. Yes!!! It reads that fast with barely a m ...more
Matt
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finder's latest novel is a thriller like few others I have read. Realising that he cannot afford the pricey private school at which his daughter is a student, Danny Goodman is in full panic mode. A struggling author and single parent, he is left wondering how to break the news to his daughter in her formative high school years. When Danny is approached by the father of his daughter's best friend, Tom Galvin, he reluctantly accepts a loan to cover her expenses. What appears to be an innocent mone ...more
Tulay
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced story.

Danny Goodman is single father, he is a writer of non-fiction books. Having financial problems and can't pay his daughter's private school bills. Her best friend's father ready to help. Loan from this well to do father saves the day, but twists and turns starts. Good heart pounding thriller.
Paul O'Neill
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The most suspenseful book I've ever read! I will be checking out more of Finder's works very soon. Highly recommended for any fans of Harlan Coben, or general thriller fans.
Marian
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Looking for a book that you can read a couple pages then put it down. Well, this is NOT the book you want. Joseph Finder's SUSPICION is a book that you don't want to put down, it starts from the first paragraph, and just runs from there. Expect to stay up all night, yes, it is really that good.Very suspenseful!What a great story teller.
Skye Skye
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Down on his luck, Daniel Goodman, widowed writer and single parent seeks only to indulge and pamper his daughter Abby. When Danny hits 'writer's block,' tuition for Abby's prestigious private school becomes impossible and facing his daughter's expulsion, Danny becomes desperate. However, wealthy investor, Thomas Galvin, gives Danny a great sum of money out of gratitude that his own daughter Jenna has Abby's friendship. But the moment Danny accepts this monetary gift, his life spins out of contro ...more
Sherri Lewis
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How far would you go to protect your family? This is a question that both Danny and Tom face, repeatedly. The risks from Tom's job are becoming all too real. Danny is a single dad who is struggling to make ends meet and a large loan from a friend puts him in the sights of some DEA agents. I am a huge fan of Joseph Finder's books, and I have to say that this is my all-time favorite. Prepare yourself for a wild ride, that is so suspenseful you will not want to put it down until you have devoured t ...more
Mike French
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: J Carson Black
More twists and turns than Lombard Street in San Francisco! Very enjoyable read and I recommend it to all Thriller readers.
J.
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
“Suspicion” by Joseph Finder is a very interesting novel which I received as a advance proof from Firsttoread.com. As you probably suspect, it falls in to the “Thriller” genre, and it excels to a large degree. It is generally well written. The dialog is believable, engaging and suspenseful.

The basic story is this: good guy, Danny Goodman, innocently falls in with wealthy drug money launderer Frank Galvin and thereby becomes a target of the DEA. The DEA agents want Danny to collect information o
The Lit Bitch
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books where I immediately feel a connection to the main character. When we first meet Danny, he’s so likable and endearing especially when it comes to his daughter. He really wants to do right by her and that comes across well in our introduction to him.

After connecting to Danny from the get go, I took the whole offer very personal and found myself wondering if I would do that for my child…would I take the money so they could have that opportunity? I don’t know, but I would like to think
Ray Palen
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just a few chapters into Joseph Finder's SUSPICIION and it's clearly evident why this novel was picked as a nominee for Best Novel of 2014 by the International Thriller Writer's Society.

There's an allusion made to the Hitchcock film of the same name where Joan Fontaine was convinced her husband (Cary Grant) was trying to kill her. In that film --- just as in this novel --- nothing is quite as it seems. When non-fiction writer Danny Goodman reluctantly borrows 50K from his wealthy neighbor, Thoma
Dave
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
My copy is a First Reads ARC. I want to thank Joseph Finder and Goodreads for this opportunity.

I was hooked from the first chapter. From the strange meeting between two dads whose daughters are best friends, to an explosive ending with some unforeseen twists, the story kept my attention and I wanted to keep turning pages. This is a Good Read and highly recommended.
Mal Warwick
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
NAIL-BITING SUSPENSE

How good is Suspicion? Let me put it this way: for the first time in a great while, I literally couldn’t put the book down — I HAD to know who was doing what to whom!

Danny Goodman is writing a biography of Jay Gould, the archetypal 19th century Robber Baron, when he crosses paths with Tom Galvin, an extremely wealthy investment manager, at the snotty private school where their 16-year-old daughters have struck up a close friendship. Danny is in deep trouble financially — betw
JoAnne Pulcino
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
SUSPICION

Joseph Finder

This magnificent creative thriller just hums and captures you from the very start and never let’s goes. Mr. Finder is one of the best thriller writers today with his intriguing characters, his fast paced action, his convoluted plots, and his genius creativity in his intelligent and believable solutions.

A widowed single father down on his luck accepts a loan from his daughter’s best friend’s father to pay his daughters tuition to their private school. The surprise comes when
Maureen DeLuca
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Danny Goodman is a step away from financial ruin, Goodman can't pay his daughter's ( Abby) private school tuition, much less the cost of the class trip to Italy.

Then we meet Tom Galvin, the wealthy father of Abby's new friend, offers to front the cost of the trip, Goodman grudgingly accepts. Later, he accepts a loan from Galvin to keep Abby in school. According to Tom- his daughter has never been happier and he will do anything to make his girl happy - so he convinces Danny to please accept the
Candace
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
After reading the reviews, I was so hopeful that I might have discovered a great new author. Not so. “Suspicion” is pretty lane, not very well plotted with flimsy characters, as flimsy as the event that sets the plot off. As someone who’s worked in private schools for quite a long time, I’ve never heard of a head of school who would boot a student out in mid-semester for owing tuition. Maybe it’s just Boston—or maybe it’s a set up by Jenna’s dad--but that is the event that makes Danny borrow mon ...more
Amy Lignor
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are many authors who take a reader ‘slowly into that good night’. However, the real genius knows how to create the ultimate lead-in. They are the wordsmiths who can, in one page or one paragraph, grab the reader’s attention and never let go. This is one author who does just that.

Abe Lincoln’s bodyguard decides to stay for another drink at the bar while at Ford’s Theatre during intermission. The Archduke’s driver makes a wrong turn in Sarajevo because he refuses to ask directions. You fina
☕️Kimberly
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Caffeinated Aspects

Suspicion was an engaging thriller with twists and turns that kept me flipping the pages and unsure of the characters.
Finder presents an interesting dilemma for Danny. As a parent, I know the lengths I would go to for my own children. Would I have taken the money? This question makes the events surreal and amped up the suspense. Danny is an ordinary guy who finds himself swimming with sharks.
Twists and turns had me flipping the pages and questioning character’s motives.
Mark Rubinstein
“Sometimes the smallest decision can change your life forever.”

This is the very first line of Joseph Finder's new novel, "Suspicion."

Oh, the tangled webs we weave in living our lives...that's the way I felt reading this intense thriller. "Suspicion" had me reading late into the night. I finished it in three sittings.

Danny Goodman--a good guy--is a single dad, a writer, living with his teen-age daughter (his wife died a while back)and is in a financial straight jacket. His daughter, Abby, love
Tom Weissmuller
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did not finish this book. Several things simply do not work for me, and painting DOJ personnel as angry, militant, idiots is high on my list of things that don’t work. The fact is, when a decent guy gets caught up with seemingly kind but unscrupulous characters, you don’t want to threaten the guy with a questionable prosecution in order to secure his assistance. That’s just stupid.

I also dislike being introduced to likable characters only to find them rewritten as unlikeable characters later
L.A. Starks
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finder's book is superbly paced and well thought out. It was a pleasure to read and I recommend it, as I do all of his books.

Two notes, one small, one big: Blackberrys were (unfortunately) on their way out even as this book was being written. Including them prematurely dates the novel.

The larger issue is not a criticism but only a note. For insight into Mexican drug gangs with an authentic--even genius--description of place, I recommend Harry Hunsicker's most recent novel, The Contractors.

Kelly Hager
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am so ridiculously late to the Joseph Finder party. It seems like everyone I know (and every suspense author I love) is like, "YAY JOSEPH FINDER!" When I saw this on Penguin's First to Read site, I knew it was fate. ;)

This can be pithily described as kind of like The Firm as written by Harlan Coben. Really, though, it's just one of those books that's an absolute delight to read.

I was hooked from the beginning and was incredibly afraid for Daniel. I was positive that he was going to get caught
Yvonne
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, arc, 2014
This is going to be the "must read" thriller of the summer! Lots of drama, action and suspense! I've never read a Joseph Finder book that I didn't enjoy and this was no exception.

I requested and received a digital galley of this title from the publisher though edelweiss.
Lawrence
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Joseph Finder. If you like a fast pace, non stop, on the edge of your seat thriller, then listen to this book.
Rob Twinem
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Joseph Finder is the master of the techno/political thriller and this is no exception. It is fast and edge of the seat writing with a few built in surprises...a top notch read.
Susan
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fine thriller from Joseph Finder. A recently widowed father is deeply in debt. He wants to keep his teenage daughter in private school with her new-found best friend, but he can't pay the tuition. Just when you think his problems can't get worse, a new one crops up.

But that's why we call it suspense, right? If readers didn't worry, it would be boring. And Suspicion is far from that. Throw in a mysterious wealthy benefactor, Mexican gang lords, DEA agents who aren't what they seem, and,
Tgordon
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very very close to a 5 for me! Great plot and very catching and suspenseful! Single dad faced with turing his daughter’s world upside down or taking a loan from her very rich best friend’s dad? I say no problem and saw why and how. The lesson is be careful who you borrow money from!!! Great book! Loved the characters and the suspense!
Monnie
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I opened this book, which pits a nearly starving writer against powerful Mexican drug cartels, with fairly high expectations. Although it's the first I've read by the author, I've been meaning to try one of his popular Nick Heller books. So when the opportunity arose to get this one, I jumped at it even though a number of reviewers said it's not one of Finder's best efforts.

The story begins as Danny Goodman, who has had custody of his teenage daughter Abby since his ex-wife's untimely death from
Thrilled By Books: July 2015 Book Club Selection 1 5 Jul 11, 2015 09:17PM

• Everything to Lose
  • Desperate
  • The Long Rain
  • The Execution (Jeremy Fisk, #2)
  • The Prince of Risk
  • Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)
  • A Dog Gone Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #10)
  • Into the Dark
  • Let the People in: The Life and Times of Ann Richards
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
  • The Man Who Killed His Brother
  • Tell Me You're Sorry
  • The Directive (Mike Ford, #2)
  • The Survivor
  • Mad Dog House
  • Sleight of Hand (Dana Cutler, #4)
  • White Shotgun
Joseph Finder is the author of the forthcoming novel JUDGMENT and fourteen other novels, many of them New York Times bestsellers, published in 35 countries around the world. His book HIGH CRIMES was adapted into a movie starring Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd; PARANOIA was made into the Harrison Ford/Gary Oldman film.

He was born in Chicago, lived in the Philippines, Afghanistan, Washington State,
“It’s better than the Green Line,” Galvin said with a” 0 likes
“It’s like . . . if you surround yourself with good people, it makes you a better person. Brings out the best in you. Surround yourself with bad people, it brings out your worst.” 0 likes